I Threw A Brick Through A Window/A Day Without Me punch/combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:applaud: "I won't forget this evening...don't forget this evening!" Love the energy of the Red Rocks version.

Thank you for posting!

Yeah this was such a great one-two punch. It might be a bit awkward to see current day U2 perform it, but I'd still love either or both songs to make a reappearance.

Well, they did An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart on Vertigo and I think it was a success. Of course, it wasn't that energetic as the early eighties versions, but it was still a very welcome surprise.

Well, they did An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart on Vertigo and I think it was a success. Of course, it wasn't that energetic as the early eighties versions, but it was still a very welcome surprise.

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart was a major surprise of the tour. I loved that combo. I would never believe to hear these songs live. But in the end, the performance failed, it was the essence of dad rock, moreover it didn´t work, it was a snoozefest unfortunately :(

Bullet the Blue Sky and WOWY were about 30 times more boring on Vertigo than An Cat Dubh, Out of Control or Electric Co.

Love that combo but A Day Without Me is a very hard time signature and Bono can easily go flat.
I could see a ITABTAW>Sunday Bloody Sunday?

This is probably one of my favorite 1-2 punches by them. Not as great as Bullet-Running, Please-Streets, etc. But still pretty darn good.
I wonder how amazing it would be if once in a while they would just go out and play 10-15 songs in a row from the pre-boy-war era. It would actually fit the theme of innocence...so who knows....Boy material has consistently been pretty great live. Out Of Control is always phenomenal, I Will Follow (even though it's been played tirelessly) still brings down the house live every time. Electric Co., Stories For Boy (snippet) and An Cat Dubh were great on Vertigo. Twilight would be unbelievable live. That more than any other song fits the theme of innocence and the SOI album cover.
Moreover, as I've said many times before, I'm a big fan of October and War and would die to hear anything from them (except SBS). I really hope songs like Drowning Man and Tomorrow get a shot. They're two of my all time favorites. Tomorrow, once again, would fit the theme of losing his mother. It's one of their most powerfully lyrical songs imo and would be pretty haunting maybe along side Iris and followed by Acrobat. (How about that as a show closing encore??)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A Day Without Me is a killer song and I wish a painful death to anybody that say it's sub-par.

That is all.

That is unfortunately true :(

I disagree, actually. Bullet The Blue Sky is a great tune but it just got overexposed. WOWY is always a great song and an awesome vocal performance from Bono, there's a great mood to it.

But I can see those other songs listed being more exciting when they pop up becomes it's more fun to hear new stuff than the same staid tracks...best examples though have to be Pride and One...both are practically useless live to most fans here. Pride at least has a lot of undeniable things about it even if it's not always performed to caliber...but One is such a sluggish bore nowadays that I don't even like sitting through it.

Also, Bono HAS to stop turning songs into events. No taking out cellphones before "One"...no ruining the mystery of "Streets" by just associating it only with Africa, etc.

And also, no more setlists like Vertigo that have like seven songs in a row that are the same night in and night out. That Love and Peace/SBS/Bullet/Pride/One/Streets thing was just repeated ad nauseum forever. It would even be alright if they were just performed as songs, but practically all of it had some gimmick or another (the blindfold, Bono drumming, African flags, phones...you get the point).

I disagree, actually. Bullet The Blue Sky is a great tune but it just got overexposed. WOWY is always a great song and an awesome vocal performance from Bono, there's a great mood to it.

What??? Bullet is now only a parody to what it was for example in Zoo TV tour and Bono hasn´t sang WOWY properly since ZOO TV days...

Also, Bono HAS to stop turning songs into events. No taking out cellphones before "One"...no ruining the mystery of "Streets" by just associating it only with Africa, etc.

I agree, but it will never happen, because Bono being Bono :)

This is probably one of my favorite 1-2 punches by them. Not as great as Bullet-Running, Please-Streets, etc. But still pretty darn good.
I wonder how amazing it would be if once in a while they would just go out and play 10-15 songs in a row from the pre-boy-war era. It would actually fit the theme of innocence...so who knows....Boy material has consistently been pretty great live. Out Of Control is always phenomenal, I Will Follow (even though it's been played tirelessly) still brings down the house live every time. Electric Co., Stories For Boy (snippet) and An Cat Dubh were great on Vertigo. Twilight would be unbelievable live. That more than any other song fits the theme of innocence and the SOI album cover.
Moreover, as I've said many times before, I'm a big fan of October and War and would die to hear anything from them (except SBS). I really hope songs like Drowning Man and Tomorrow get a shot. They're two of my all time favorites. Tomorrow, once again, would fit the theme of losing his mother. It's one of their most powerfully lyrical songs imo and would be pretty haunting maybe along side Iris and followed by Acrobat. (How about that as a show closing encore???????)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Great post! Agree with all of it! :up::up:

Anytime anything from the 1980-1983 period has been played since Elevation, it's gone down extremely well. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, especially at Irving Plaza, I would add to your list. Hell, though no where near as good as I Will Follow and Out of Control have been, even Gloria was decent on Vertigo.

I especially like your observations on Out of Control and I Will Follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TrFtLa4640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-FVsa0VrI

Does anyone want to make the case for Walk On or acoustic Stuck or GOYB over this?

These early 80s rockers still bring down the house. And they've just kept getting better since they returned to the set on Elevation after an almost 10 year absence! Bono's voice continues to improve by leaps and bounds and Larry seems less affected by his tendonitis.

They could easily knock out some Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Another Time, Another Place, Like A Song, Gloria, etc this summer, no problem at all.

Going by how they played on the last leg of 360 ripping apart OOC and IWF as well as scorching versions of AB songs like EBTTRT and The Fly, they could now play anyone of their rockers no problem. I wouldn't have made the same statement on Elevation or Vertigo.

I think Twilight is almost a lock for this tour given the themes it touches on. Tomorrow is definitely a better than 50% chance, too! :up:

Get On YOur Boots for sure! It´s a wonderful piece live. I would be happy to see them play it.
Electric Co. and Outta Control were tremendous

An Cat Dubh was unfortunately during Vertigo done in revival band dad rock mode...

11 O Clock was somehow great at Irving Plaza despite being unbearably slowed doen :)

I will Follow is overplayed

The ultimate punch was this 4 song knockout on the UF tour -

Bad
October
New Years Day
Pride

it also featured on the JT tour but it was at its peak on the UF tour.

I don't think there's been a sequence of songs that good since.

The ultimate punch was this 4 song knockout on the UF tour -

Bad
October
New Years Day
Pride

it also featured on the JT tour but it was at its peak on the UF tour.

I don't think there's been a sequence of songs that good since.

I agree.

Since, the contenders are:

- Zoo Station, Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until...World.

-Dirty Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Streets.

I know others have mentioned in the past the opening 1-2 or 1-2-3 punches from the 1980s as being among their best sequences. I agree with this.

War: Out of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh (still my favorite barrage of opening songs).

UF: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow.

JT, LT: Streets, I Will Follow.

I am probably in the minority here, but I'd love nothing more than to see a sequence of all the anthems right together to end a main set sometime. Anytime they've done mini sets like this (RTSS to Pride on Zoo TV, Bad/40/Streets/Still Haven't/Pride on post- 9/11 Elevation) it has brought the house down. Not to mention, my local tribute band, The Joshua Tree always barrels right down anthem alley to end the set and it's unbelievable, even with 100 people in the room, how much the energy increases as hit after hit gets played.

Front load the set with new stuff, rarities and more recent hits (BD, Vertigo) and then end the main set something like this:

All I Want Is You
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Bad
Pride
Streets
I Will Follow
With or Without You

I agree.

Since, the contenders are:

- Zoo Station, Fly, Mysterious Ways, Until...World.

-Dirty Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Streets.

I know others have mentioned in the past the opening 1-2 or 1-2-3 punches from the 1980s as being among their best sequences. I agree with this.

War: Out of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh (still my favorite barrage of opening songs).

:up:

If you're making a list of great sequences and you don't have Hawkmoon 269/Desire/All Along the Watchtower from Lovetown, then you're doing it wrong. Shame it only happened eight times, but bugger me what an incredible sequence that was.

If you're making a list of great sequences and you don't have Hawkmoon 269/Desire/All Along the Watchtower from Lovetown, then you're doing it wrong. Shame it only happened eight times, but bugger me what an incredible sequence that was.

Agreed completely. The version of Desire used here, the one with the "so you wanna be in a rock n roll band" snippett was by far the best ever version of the track.
Also if they had used this arrangement of Hawkmoon on the record it would have been the best track on Rattle and Hum.

Agreed completely. The version of Desire used here, the one with the "so you wanna be in a rock n roll band" snippett was by far the best ever version of the track.
Also if they had used this arrangement of Hawkmoon on the record it would have been the best track on Rattle and Hum.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom