"Hear Me Coming, Lord..." vs. "We Shine Like Stars..." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Shine like stars. Hear me coming is overrated.

U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I can't fathom anyone saying the latter. Every version I've heard it really just sounds like a couple of extra lines tacked on for the sack of it. Always enjoy when they extend WOWY, mostly for Edge's guitar playing, but I don't see what's so special about "we'll shine like stars in the winter night / we'll shine like stars in the summer night / one heart / one hope / one love". WOWY with the Love Will Tear Us Apart is so fucking superior, seriously.

Whereas the Do You Hear Us/Me Coming Lord verse takes One into the stratosphere if you ask me. I've seen the band four times and not been lucky enough to hear them play it with that snippet, and it kills me, because it goes from being an amazing song to really something else. Bono's vocals are just so incredibly passionate.

All of this.

"summer night/winter light" is such a generic, high school poetry rhyme, it makes the song worse IMO.

As for One, nothing tops the emotion in this version for me, Bono choking up over the recently departed Michael Hutchence in the altered line "...but I can't raise the dead". He really brings it hard on the "hear us coming" part as well.

lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
I also quite like the MOS coda, which I know wasn't for everyone but I really came to appreciate.
The MoS coda is great. I'm glad that it stuck around through the second half of the 360 Tour.

I have no good way of ranking the verses, though. I guess I would say that WOWY loses more without Shine Like Stars than One does without Hear Us Coming, but I don't know.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
All of this.

"summer night/winter light" is such a generic, high school poetry rhyme, it makes the song worse IMO.

As for One, nothing tops the emotion in this version for me, Bono choking up over the recently departed Michael Hutchence in the altered line "...but I can't raise the dead". He really brings it hard on the "hear us coming" part as well.

This version of One is absolutely perfect. It's probably my favorite. Perhaps it's tied with PopMart Sarajevo and the Modena performance with Bono, Edge, and Eno.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I can't fathom anyone saying the latter. Every version I've heard it really just sounds like a couple of extra lines tacked on for the sack of it. Always enjoy when they extend WOWY, mostly for Edge's guitar playing, but I don't see what's so special about "we'll shine like stars in the winter night / we'll shine like stars in the summer night / one heart / one hope / one love". WOWY with the Love Will Tear Us Apart is so fucking superior, seriously..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikwala View Post
It's actually the "shine like stars in the summer night" part that gives me the chills, not necessarily the one heart one hope one whatever. A pitch dark stadium/arena with twinkling lighters only makes that moment that much more awesome!
Quote:
All of this.

The summer night part is nothing special lyrically, yes, but it works vocally. It fits really well after Edge's extended solo.

And yes, the "one heart, one love.." part after "shine like stars" kind of ruins it. And yes, snippeting Love Will Tear Us Apart at the end was fantastic.

Which is why we have this perfect hybrid rendition of WOWY from Chicago 1987, where Bono belts out the "shine like stars" coda so passionately, and then sings Love Will Tear Us Apart instead of the cheesy "one heart,..." line.

youarenotimmune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #27
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Hear Us Coming makes an average song kind of worth hearing live, but it can't hold a candle to Shine Like Stars, which really caps off WOWY emphatically rather than just letting it peter out. It's the perfect rousing verse to follow Edge's solo, and the way Bono used to come in with so much passion on "yeeeaaahhhh we'll shine like stars" overcame the cliched lyrical shortcomings. It's not the first time Bono's delivery and perfect placement of a verse made otherwise trite lyricism forgivable.

Suffice to say that when I finally heard Shine Like Stars at my seventeenth U2 concert, I sang it so loudly that the people around me probably still have ringing ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
This is pretty great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
During early legs of the Zoo TV Tour Bono would sing a high pitch falsetto intro to Mysterious Ways that went something along the lines of:
"Take her, take her slow, take your baby by the hand, teach her teach all you know teach your baby while you can"

Something like that. Was that a snippet or something he just made up?
I've never been able to place it, but if anybody can figure it out I'd love to add it to U2gigs.

(I wish I'd completed a project to add Hear Us Coming... nowadays I haven't the motivation to do so.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

The solo (despite its simple nature) of the Washington version provides the perfect lead in to Shine Like Stars, and it is why I think that tops Hear us Coming, but only slightly.

As Nick said, the MOS outro is also great.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
"They don't understand, we belong together..." at the end of Black...

Awesome... Especially the Live on 2 Legs version.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
brooklynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
Refugee

"Hear Me Coming, Lord..." vs. "We Shine Like Stars..."

"Here Us Coming" is superior to "Shine Like Stars". Both great, but the former sends One into the stratosphere. Especially in the Modena and Sydney performances.

Early to mid 90's were a great time for snippets and mumblings. Someone else mentioned the snips in Mysterious Ways from ZooTV- all awesome.
brooklynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #31
The Fly

I feel like both songs are incomplete without the extra snippets when I hear them live.
adb280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:

This is the best set of One visuals they've given us. Just gorgeous -- and though the song has become a global unity anthem, it reminds us of it's more specific origins.

Sent from
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Shine like stars, even more so because the alternative (ohoohooho by the audience) sounds so much worse. Every time WOWY starts and I''m there live, my friends and I go like "shine like stars plsssss". We have always missed it, it's a shame.
xtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow great question, tough choice for me to pick my favorite. At first blush I'd say Shine Like Stars especially the versions that had both that and the love will tear us apart snippets add in Edges crescendo solo is pretty fantastic. But then I think of the hear me scratching Lord with the cant help falling in love is pretty great.

Cheers to Nick for bringing up the outro to MOS made a fantastic song even better
YBORCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #35
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmx View Post
Shine like stars, even more so because the alternative (ohoohooho by the audience) sounds so much worse.
Oh god yeah, this is a good point. One's ending without Hear Us Coming isn't half as insipid as WOWY with just... nothing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote