You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm loving GOYB now.....easily the best part of the song for me is at 2:30, specifically when that guitar that comes in during the outro....I wish the guitar was more prominent in the mix, but even now, it's totally awesome :up:

Here's what some of my family/friends had to say:

My sister said "umm, it's good, but for U2 I expected more"

My dad said "mmmm, no. there's something missing. Most U2 songs grab you and take you somewhere, they grab you emotionally, this song is missing something"

My mom said "ehh it's ok"

My friend said "I want to kill a lot of things when I hear Bono sing "sexy boots," but other than that this song is tight. It's reeeally weird, but it's tight, I like it"

Try this out: U2 Feedback - View Single Post - GOYB lyrics Discussion

I'm guessing that a nice chunk of the detractors on this forum are the same people who failed the poetry sections of their literature classes, unable to find any meaning to the words on a page other than their literal definitions.

You know you're chewin' bubblegum
You know what that is and you still want some

If you get Pop, you get that those lines sum up the whole Pop experiment & message. If you don't get Pop, it's just a lazy bullshit line.

WAY over analysed there my friend

Your right - i never did like poetry at school but i still passed!

I guess as i'm Mr apathetic i dont look for the deeper meaning in songs like this - i just like the sound and chorus is top!

however songs like Stuck in a Moment and Sometimes you cant make it - for me they mean a lot - i can relate to them

my political activity extends as far as voting and that is all
I dont feel strong enough on any issue to go and protest - i wouldnt even sign a petition

Ok

"You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts aren’t real"

That is total tosh

and so is this

"Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, I’m going down
I don’t wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound"

Even the Kaiser Chiefs must be thinking they are lyrical geniuses after this!

the sound of GOYB is great but lyrically its down there with this effort

"What did you learn today? (I learned nothin')
What did you do today? (I did nothin')
What did you learn at school? (I didn't go)
Why didn't you go to school? (I don't know)

It's cool to know nothin'
It's cool to know nothin'

Television's on the blink (there's nothin' on it)
I really wanna really big coat (with words on it)
What do you want for tea? (I want crisps)
Why didn't you join the team? (I just didn't)"

dude, think about Vertigo for a second....compare the outro of GOYB to Vertigo's "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah..."

plus all that other shit that is going on in the background during GOYB's outro...the drumming is incredible, the bassline, and then Edge's AB-style distorted guitar....it's fucking awesome :up:

I guess as i'm Mr apathetic i dont look for the deeper meaning in songs like this - i just like the sound and chorus is top!

however songs like Stuck in a Moment and Sometimes you cant make it - for me they mean a lot - i can relate to them

I dont feel strong enough on any issue to go and protest - i wouldnt even sign a petition

The two songs you mention are very direct and overt in their messages though. Which is fine - I like Stuck (acoustic) but I also like the more challenging songs like Gone, Please, Love is Blindness etc.

:shrug: You don't have to be politically interested or active to read any political or other meaning into lyrics.

Check out this book Amazon.com: U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song: Niall Stokes: Books or Flanagan's 'U2 at the End of the World' book to see that the vast majority of Bono's lyrics have far more intent than just to accompany a nice melody and riff.

No one answered me, so I'll ask again and again,
I was listening to Boots again and I perceived a new sound:
Could anyone tell me what is the sound that comes along with the pre-chorus. It's a very sharp; metalic sound. I like that a lot and I wonder from where it comes from. :hmm:

Another thing. I've been listening to Boots a lot. And I've been thinking: what if I don't hear it again until the album comes out???? :hmm::hmm:

PS: Please, MadForlt wait til someone answer me to talk again. :wink:

This may be the end of U2 :sad:

This is the first time in my life that I can't get into a song of theirs.

Editors are now my #1 band with U2 stepping down to #2

Yesterday I was on top of the mountain and today I came down. Yesterday I was enthousiastic. My girlfriend listened three times to the song and said: this is the band that made absolutely brilliant music, what the hell happened? This is schoolbandmusic. I was a bit angry and defended the guys of course stating it is a grower. i was told I was wrong and I laughted it off. We got along fine again:wink:
For the record, she is a very talented classical musician who got into U2 because of me actually lol

Then today I listened to the song another 15 times or so. I am sorry to say and I MEAN it that I am having an incredible hard time to keep liking the song. The initial enthousiamse allready has worn off(IN ONE DAY!) It sounds a bit sloppy and it there is not a single moment of true awesomeness in it. I like the "chorus"but I think it is a very weak outing by the guys. If you like it, I am happy for you, really I am but tight I as thinking about the period from AB till now. Evey album is a step down from the one before and everytime I start to appreciate the album before more when the new one commes out. Not because the old one was filled with genius but because the new one(although I am still optimistic for some reason) is worse. It should be the other way around and eventhough it is not realistic I am getting tired of these poppy U2songs. THERE IS NO swagger, sex, coolness, believe and it just sounds bland and I wish I felt different but I don't. Will it stop me from loving them? No. Will it make me not buy the record? No. Will I love it when they come to town? Hell yes! I am afraid though that this is the end in creativity for them. I pray to God I am wrong. It is just a bad sign when you hear your absolutely favourite band in the world play a song and you think after one day : I make better music than this. I have never had that feeling and it makes me feel uncomfortable in a strange way.

I really wish I could join in in the sincere enthousiasme but for now it just doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

Supersonic is a classic lyrics are immense

Little James is a bad apple i admit

but songs like Live forever, some might say, dont go away and stop crying your heart out to name at least have substance

"Don't go away,
Say what you say,
Say that you'll stay,
Forever and a day,
In the time of my life,
Cos I need more time just to make things right"

Hardly prose.

You know when i heard GOYB, the lyrics to Supersonic was the first thing I thought of. I tihnk it's lazy to not glean any meaning from the GOYB lyrics, because it is packed with double-meanings and imagery.

GOYB kind of reminds me of Radiohead's Bangers and Mash. It's got that punky kitchen sink vibe.

No one answered me, so I'll ask again and again,
I was listening to Boots again and I perceived a new sound:
Could anyone tell me what is the sound that comes along with the pre-chorus. It's a very sharp; metalic sound. I like that a lot and I wonder from where it comes from. :hmm:

Another thing. I've been listening to Boots a lot. And I've been thinking: what if I don't hear it again until the album comes out???? :hmm::hmm:

PS: Please, MadForlt wait til someone answer me to talk again. :wink:

its either another, heavily processed guitar, or eno playing some psychadelic keys.

Id say the later.

Surely, I'm not the only one who's noticed this and gotten suckered in, but AMAZON has GOYB like this:
* Original Release Date: January 20, 2009
* Release Date: January 20, 2009
* Label: Interscope
* Copyright: (C) 2008 The copyright in this sound recording and artwork is owned by Universal-Island Records Limited
* Song Length: 5:23 minutes
* Genres: Rock/General
* ASIN: B001Q6ERVA

Note the time difference.
I bought it. It's NOT different. DO NOT BUY.

carry on.

"Don't go away,
Say what you say,
Say that you'll stay,
Forever and a day,
In the time of my life,
Cos I need more time just to make things right"

Hardly prose.

You know when i heard GOYB, the lyrics to Supersonic was the first thing I thought of. I tihnk it's lazy to not glean any meaning from the GOYB lyrics, because it is packed with double-meanings and imagery.

But those dont go away lyrics are about Peggy Gallagher (their mum) having cancer and the death of Boneheads mum- i see the meaning straight away regardless of not knowing that information

and on GOYB see what i said a few posts back

Surely, I'm not the only one who's noticed this and gotten suckered in, but AMAZON has GOYB like this:
* Original Release Date: January 20, 2009
* Release Date: January 20, 2009
* Label: Interscope
* Copyright: (C) 2008 The copyright in this sound recording and artwork is owned by Universal-Island Records Limited
* Song Length: 5:23 minutes
* Genres: Rock/General
* ASIN: B001Q6ERVA

Note the time difference.
I bought it. It's NOT different. DO NOT BUY.

carry on.

Yeah someone was saying earlier that it must be a typo. That's a pretty messed up typo.

Yesterday I was on top of the mountain and today I came down. Yesterday I was enthousiastic. My girlfriend listened three times to the song and said: this is the band that made absolutely brilliant music, what the hell happened? This is schoolbandmusic. I was a bit angry and defended the guys of course stating it is a grower. i was told I was wrong and I laughted it off. We got along fine again:wink:
For the record, she is a very talented classical musician who got into U2 because of me actually lol

Then today I listened to the song another 15 times or so. I am sorry to say and I MEAN it that I am having an incredible hard time to keep liking the song. The initial enthousiamse allready has worn off(IN ONE DAY!) It sounds a bit sloppy and it there is not a single moment of true awesomeness in it. I like the "chorus"but I think it is a very weak outing by the guys. If you like it, I am happy for you, really I am but tight I as thinking about the period from AB till now. Evey album is a step down from the one before and everytime I start to appreciate the album before more when the new one commes out. Not because the old one was filled with genius but because the new one(although I am still optimistic for some reason) is worse. It should be the other way around and eventhough it is not realistic I am getting tired of these poppy U2songs. THERE IS NO swagger, sex, coolness, believe and it just sounds land and I wish I felt different but I don't. Will it stop me from loving them? No. Will it make me not buy the record? No. Will I love it when they come to town? Hell yes! I am afraid though that this is the end in creativity for them. I pray to God I am wrong. It is just a bad sign when you hear your absolutely favourite band in the world play a song and you think after one day : I make better music than this. I have never had that feeling and it makes me feel uncomfortable in a strange way.

I really wish I could join in in the sincere enthousiasme but for now it just doesn't seem to work unfortunately.

I am in shock at the moment. I can't belive how bad this song is. WTF??? The other thing that is going to suck is all the people who have said U2 sucks my whole life will finally be right:sad:

whats all this nonesense then?

"You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology
With a mouth full of teeth
You ate all your friends
And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends"

Nonsense?? that my friend is two paragraphs of an awesome song!

But those dont go away lyrics are about Peggy Gallagher (their mum) having cancer and the death of Boneheads mum- i see the meaning straight away regardless of not knowing that information

and on GOYB see what i said a few posts back

You just proved my point.

Anyone here who doesn't know about Peggy looks at it and says "shit lyrics, so generic".

YOU yourself say you have no political interest, so are not looking for the political meaning in the song.

You are being like the fans who don't know about Peggy

You just proved my point.

Anyone here who doesn't know about Peggy looks at it and says "shit lyrics, so generic".

YOU yourself say you have no political interest, so are not looking for the political meaning in the song.

You are being like the fans who don't know about Peggy

Fair enough

For once i agree with you (new territory for me - its weird up here!)

I am a lazy/selfish git to be fair

Fair enough

For once i agree with you (new territory for me - its weird up here!)

I am a lazy/selfish git to be fair

I totally agree with you having the right to not like the lyrics and not personally see the meaning in the lyrics, but it doesnt mean its not there. Afterall, whether or not meaning is intended, if people find it, its still valid meaning.

I am in shock at the moment. I can't belive how bad this song is. WTF??? The other thing that is going to suck is all the people who have said U2 sucks my whole life will finally be right:sad:

Ok, you don't like it. Fine.
But one song will make you agree with your friends who think U2 sucks. :|

Weird. :huh:

i've been cracked by Dan Smee.......:doh:

I'm melting......:|

terminator2newedint01.jpg

get on your boots!

My favorite first single since the fly. Retro and contemporary at the same time. Energetic. Some great lines. Killer riff. Great rhythm section. Playful.

Totally fits the mood of inauguration day. I don't want to talk about wars between nations--get on your boots, let's get to work. We're all in this together! Love and community! These are the ideas and the sounds (multicultural and multigenerational) that will hopefully define the next decade.

Let me in the sound!

Love the song--love the dense layers--love the riff. Blows Vertigo out of the water--not a big fan of Vertigo. Question is the riff Edge's guitar, or Adam's bass?

Oh, my, I don't want to be patronizing here, but I really think some of you people are getting obsessed about the song, it's just a song, let things flow, if you end up liking it, great, if not, great too, you'll find another one. One great song doesn't make a band great, a song you don't like doesn't finish a great band, please, keep perspective, it will be better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom