Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so great to hear U2 just talk. They're not promoting anything, not campaigning, not trying to reach a billion people. They spoke to fans who host a show for fans. They weren't salespeople- they were just people. Funny, smart people.

And they are treating fans better lately- free album, all the people they pull from the crowd, this podcast, and the @u2 party. I can't think of a band of their stature that would do that, and I don't think u2 would have done that before now. It really feels like they're focusing on the loving audience at home instead of looking for an exciting fling with strangers.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

Three from new album, one from something else. They sound "very finished." Very different from SOI but is a clear companion. Edge wants to put record out sooner than later.

Deets, from the Scotts.

a kickass, experimental album opener with awesome huge drums. Bono's fave drum break ever. Also had B fave sonic part of U2 ever.

a perfect pop song, driving and anthemic and catchy

Big epic U2 song that will drive arenas crazy. Classic U2, more experimental than SOI.
I got really excited hearing their reactions. Hope the band doesn't make any changes to those 3 songs, and also hope the album is released soon.

Man, the SoE part of UTU2TM got me really excited. Not only how excited they sounded but the descriptions of songs sound great. I also really hope that Edge and the band take what Scott said to heart.

I think the reaction to them putting out something more raw and imperfect would be positive and it would certainly jumpstart the tour next year.

I don't want to get my hopes up but I was feeling good about SoE after that interview.

Man, the SoE part of UTU2TM got me really excited. Not only how excited they sounded but the descriptions of songs sound great. I also really hope that Edge and the band take what Scott said to heart.

I think the reaction to them putting out something more raw and imperfect would be positive and it would certainly jumpstart the tour next year.

I don't want to get my hopes up but I was feeling good about SoE after that interview.

Me too, the way they are talking it seems like a question of when not if, though of course we've all been burned before!

Brilliant to hear them talk so candidly, not something you get to hear so much now.

Last edited:
The "one from something else" song could always be another tilt at an Oscar? I still think that U2 feel they have unfinished business there. Would need to be out in the autumn of 2015 if that was the case, and the Scotts said it was one of the finished songs. Complete speculation on my part obviously.

Original song/score submission deadline is 2nd December 2015. Presumably you would have heard it well before that point though..........if there is one that is!?

So... the Sirius Interview kind of contradicts the Podcast regarding SOE progress, is that right? Edge says SOE is far from finished... the Scott guys say those four songs sound quite finished? Which could be 1/3 of SOE?

Still like what they say about those songs... have no problems with a catchy pop song now and then... epic U2 track? Great! Kick ass drums? Experimental? Sounds what I'd like to hear on SOE.

So... the Sirius Interview kind of contradicts the Podcast regarding SOE progress, is that right? Edge says SOE is far from finished... the Scott guys say those four songs sound quite finished? Which could be 1/3 of SOE?

Where's the contradiction? Most would consider 1/3 far from done :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That podcast interview was awesome. The fact that the band showed off four completed new songs tells me that not only are they making great progress but they are confident enough in the songs to show other people. Hopefully this means they won't chicken out and over think it. Like they said, if it's five years between albums then the album is by default an "event" and if forced to deal with all the expectations that come with it.

Here's a question:

Compared to previous promises of "upcoming albums" (so Rick Rubin, Songs of Ascent, and everything on 360 after 2009), how REAL does SOE seem? This is aimed at people who were around here during those time spans, but does U2's behavior seem any different from when they were promising new albums back then?

Where's the contradiction? Most would consider 1/3 far from done :shrug:

Yes, that is correct. I just got the impression, that on the podcast they felt more optimistic regarding timeframe than on Sirius.... if SOE will be released before the end of 2016 that's ok... should not be later though

Here's a question:

Compared to previous promises of "upcoming albums" (so Rick Rubin, Songs of Ascent, and everything on 360 after 2009), how REAL does SOE seem? This is aimed at people who were around here during those time spans, but does U2's behavior seem any different from when they were promising new albums back then?

No?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Was it Adam that quickly quantified that in another interview around that time, saying that "the number can always be in flux"?

He meant Aeon Flux for sure

Aeon_flux_poster.jpg

I don't wanna see any waltz with SOE .. just forward movement please

I remember Edge saying SOE was 70% finished in september 2014...

You know how, back in the old days, it took like three hours to download a 10 MB file? You'd sit there and, somewhere around the two hour mark it would cross 70% and you would begin to feel some hope. Then it would take 20 minutes to reach 71%. Then you could have sworn it was actually going backwards.

I'm guessing this is what the SOE recording process is like right now.

My bet is march 2016, soon enough to anounce a stadium tour for the summer! OR they could take a year off and do that in 2017...

Here's a question:

Yes this is definitely different. Whether that means it actually gets released in the next year or two, who knows?

Sent from my SM-G925V using U2 Interference mobile app

Have anybody heard U2's interview at Sirius XM? Apparently Edge said that the SOE is nowhere finished but they like some of their materials....so people (at least at the thread discussing that interview) got pessimistic again about SoE getting proper release

I think there is a plan to release in July 2016. The tour will pick up again in May 2016. They will use the 5 months, December 2015 through April 2016 to finish it. If not, then I suppose it will be released sometime in 2017 maybe in time for Australia and South America to see multiple songs from the album performed live.

I bet they'll release the song that Bono was talking about for another project later this year. It'll be a hit and be nominated for some awards. Then they'll release a single in February and launch a big campaign for the song. Then the album will logically drop in the Spring. I mean what kind of band would do that and then delay an album and go dead silent. Lol. SOE will definetly come out when they say it will.

I bet they'll release the song that Bono was talking about for another project later this year. It'll be a hit and be nominated for some awards. Then they'll release a single in February and launch a big campaign for the song. Then the album will logically drop in the Spring. I mean what kind of band would do that and then delay an album and go dead silent. Lol. SOE will definetly come out when they say it will.

Sing Street is supposed to be out this year, but who knows if they'll actually finish it in time.

Sing Street (2015) - IMDb

They said something along the lines in the podcast interview that they were trying ways to get away from the whole album thing or something like that when talking about invisible and ordinary love. Perhaps that means more soundtrack and charity songs to make the delays or whatever not seem so long on a proper album release. Would not be surprised if it takes a longer time for SOE and they use the songs they played for them during the podcast over another 2 years as something to just release something to the public. They love the event of U2 being back in town for a new album. I can't see them just releasing SOE for fans sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom