Songs of Experience Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They said something along the lines in the podcast interview that they were trying ways to get away from the whole album thing or something like that when talking about invisible and ordinary love. Perhaps that means more soundtrack and charity songs to make the delays or whatever not seem so long on a proper album release. Would not be surprised if it takes a longer time for SOE and they use the songs they played for them during the podcast over another 2 years as something to just release something to the public. They love the event of U2 being back in town for a new album. I can't see them just releasing SOE for fans sake.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Anyone know where I can find a copy of this podcast interview?

I'm still assuming they'll release it after the European leg which kind of means a whole new setlist and feel to the next legs, possibly in stadiums?

I'm still assuming they'll release it after the European leg which kind of means a whole new setlist and feel to the next legs, possibly in stadiums?

Maybe not in stadiums but I can see them putting it out before the new leg.

I think the mention that they want to get away from the album structure means new non-album single after European leg (think SOE's Invisible).

From the Time article Sep 2014:

"I think Songs of Experience will be released in a new format," Bono tells the magazine, referring to the working title for their next album. "And I think it's going to get very exciting for the music business." He says they're working with the company Steve Jobs built to bring the masses "an audiovisual interactive format for music that can't be pirated and will bring back album artwork in the most powerful way, where you can play with the lyrics and get behind the songs when you're sitting on the subway with your iPad or on these big flat screens. You can see photography like you've never seen it before."

Coming to Apple Music near you sometime in 2016 (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe, but recently Bono said that the new format might not be ready in time for SOE, and that they wouldn't wait on the technology to put out the album.

Re. putting importance on songs: They're not renouncing the album or saying that they're going to start releasing singles. They still adhere to the album, and clearly want to make well rounded albums that flow well and make sense as albums. It's just that there are auxiliary songs that are also good and important to the narrative. That don't fit on the album. People are reading too much into that comment. Don't worry, U2 will still record about 10 minutes of music a year and release it at 5 year intervals.

Probably not. The last thing U2 should want to do is remind people of the debacle. Even though all the complainers are just people who see everything as "it's such a disaster I can't even" or "it's the best thing evah omg." I mean, fuck them. FUCK THEM. And they were offended that U2's apology wasn't entirely sincere? I mean, U2 are grown ass men who understand what real problems are.

People think getting a free album because they allowed auto downloads is a problem? They should try having cars blow up in their fucking city. Anyway...

Apple got off scott free somehow, even though it was their technology and probably them who said "hey, we have the ability to get it to everyone," and U2 probably thought "wow that's cool" because they can remember having to wait to go to a store, or remember when you couldn't get music on you phone FOR FREE.

Probably not. The last thing U2 should want to do is remind people of the debacle. Even though all the complainers are just people who see everything as "it's such a disaster I can't even" or "it's the best thing evah omg." I mean, fuck them. FUCK THEM. And they were offended that U2's apology wasn't entirely sincere? I mean, U2 are grown ass men who understand what real problems are.

People think getting a free album because they allowed auto downloads is a problem? They should try having cars blow up in their fucking city. Anyway...

Apple got off scott free somehow, even though it was their technology and probably them who said "hey, we have the ability to get it to everyone," and U2 probably thought "wow that's cool" because they can remember having to wait to go to a store, or remember when you couldn't get music on you phone FOR FREE.

Riiiiiiiiiiight

I agree with most of what you are saying here. In the grand scheme of things, people chose this to be outraged about, seriously? While im sure it was probably u2's idea as much as it was Apple's, U2 took the lion's share of the fallout while Apple sold a ton of new iphones. Doesn't hardly seem "fair", which of course, it doesn't matter either because nothing is really fair anyway. But yeah, screw Apple and screw the complainers. The fact that U2 has a song from this album being played on the radio a year later is kind of funny.

new interview in Q magazine

They mention and play a couple of new songs for the interviewer, some which we've heard about already.
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- Much More Better

Much More Better is acoustic, features the lyric "I only sing to prove that I'm here." Apparently about his bike accident.

This is all second hand from another forum. There may be more on the songs, but I've not seen the article.

O, the shoulder is the soul
And the bike is the heart
I was worse but now I'm better
Much more better than a go-kart
A go-kart of Love
The God-kart above

Ooooo OH OH OH ooooo AHHH rock and roll love IRA and stuff whoooo Aliiiiiiii

Much more better sounds like one of those random title like "verse-chorus-verse"

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

How many song titles have we been given, now?

- Morning After Innocence
- Get Out of Your Own Way
- Civilisation
- Instrument Flying
- Red Flag Day
- The Little Things That Give You Away
- The Light
- North Star
- Much More Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back