Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cobl04 said:
You a fan? I fucking hate that "dubstep", and how popular it is. Cunt also looks like an absolute fuckwit.

Hardly. I saw him by nature of being in the vicinity of that particular stage trying to meet up with someone. The whole celebrity DJ thing is totally fucked out at this point. Same deal with the bits of Pretty Lights I caught waiting for Yeezy last night. I'm all for a good dance party, but the entire genre seems like an excuse for people to get tug jobs in a crowd. No, I'd rather cut a rug with Cut Copy any day.

So yeah, you're both right. Shit's weak. Give me Daft Punk or give me death.

What a fucking weekend you're having.

Real talk. I'm so worn out that tomorrow will probably just be reserved for BSS and Arcade Fire, and even the former isn't sounding very enticing given how many times I've seen them. Spending morning and early afternoon on the couch watching football sounds sublime.

I can't think of one DJ who creates such distinctive, original work as to be worthy of celebrity status; they generally are servants of established work, so I don't understand who would want to follow around any one DJ the way some would a rock band they love. It's just a functional soundtrack for patrons who want to get high, so cares what the guy does? It probably doesn't soften my opinion knowing that the kind of people you meet at Skrillex and Girl Talk shows are idiots.

Glad you're having a kickass time at ACL, Impy. The lineup really brought it this year.

Let's not include Pretty Lights in this "DJ hate" discussion. I agree with most of it, but Pretty Lights has done some great shit.

I came across this old Pitchfork review on wiki:

Portishead | Pitchfork

Hahahahahaha this passes as journalism? Shit, cat Ryan Schreiber. Typos, grammatical errors, missing words and a dearth of information about the record is not OK. I am amused that Schreiber assumes every last member of his audience was familiar enough with Dummy that he felt comfortable in saying it sounds a lot like the last one and leaving it at that. It's also a "weird" album. Kinda. It's kinda "weird" how he compares life to a slab of cold concrete.

Would you guys take this over Dombal's posturing?

Blonde On Blonde has grown on me lately. Sure, I can hardly remember how most of the second half songs go when it's over, but you've got to be a soulless piece of shit not to see the appeal of Stuck Inside of Mobile and Visions of Johanna (still my favorite Dylan song). It would be one of my favorites as a single album.

I know what you mean, and I've had the album for ages. It's that one stretch after Most Likely You Go Your Way (my least favorite on the album) and Sad-Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands.

Here's a quick cheat sheet:

Temporary Like Achilles - slower, bluesy
Absolutely Sweet Marie - the upbeat, catchy one
4th Time Around - the pretty, slow waltz in 6/8 time (Wiki says this is Bob's response to Norwegian Wood, as they have similar tunes)
Obviously Five Believers - fast, "roadhouse" blues

Funny that you say this would be a great single album, as this one also has some pretty stellar outtakes, I'll Keep It With Mine and She's Your Lover Now being the best.

I can't think of one DJ who creates such distinctive, original work as to be worthy of celebrity status; they generally are servants of established work, so I don't understand who would want to follow around any one DJ the way some would a rock band they love. It's just a functional soundtrack for patrons who want to get high, so cares what the guy does? It probably doesn't soften my opinion knowing that the kind of people you meet at Skrillex and Girl Talk shows are idiots.

Glad you're having a kickass time at ACL, Impy. The lineup really brought it this year.

Well "celebrity" is the wrong word, but Endtroducing is worthy of all the praise it gets and then some, and he was stupidly good live.

I'm all for a good dance party, but the entire genre seems like an excuse for people to get tug jobs in a crowd. No, I'd rather cut a rug with Cut Copy any day.

Could not have put it better myself. People wonder why I listen to Flying Lotus or Cut Copy or DJ Shadow when I listen to "dance music" as opposed to a 3-hr podcast of rubbish from one of the drug-run Melbourne clubs.

Portishead | Pitchfork

Hahahahahaha this passes as journalism? Shit, cat Ryan Schreiber. Typos, grammatical errors, missing words and a dearth of information about the record is not OK. I am amused that Schreiber assumes every last member of his audience was familiar enough with Dummy that he felt comfortable in saying it sounds a lot like the last one and leaving it at that. It's also a "weird" album. Kinda. It's kinda "weird" how he compares life to a slab of cold concrete.

Does anyone know how old Schreiber is? That piece reads like it was written by an undergraduate journalism major.

Portishead | Pitchfork

Would you guys take this over Dombal's posturing?

Who gives a fuck?

uh, wat? Kim Kardashian and Kanye

0916-kim-kardashian-slave-leia-kanye-10-480x394.jpg

Does anyone know how old Schreiber is? That piece reads like it was written by an undergraduate journalism major.

35 or 36 now. That was written when he was in his second year of college - about two years after starting Pitchfork.

Word. Plus, it was friggin' 1997, it's not as if Pitchfork was remotely important or popular then. 56k was the best internet speed available, and there were still plenty of people who didn't have it.

edit...looks scumbo covered it.

zoney! said:
35 or 36 now. That was written when he was in his second year of college - about two years after starting Pitchfork.

His finest hour was yet to come. He would see the Nile someday.

Anyway, it's pretty encouraging stuff for people whose careers hinge on their ability to string their thoughts together coherently on a piece of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom