Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything else to add?!!!!!!!

I'm sure this is re: Mr. Patton's set, which was really enjoyable. Kicked it off with a Speakerboxxx cut, "So Fresh So Clean" threw everyone into a frenzy, and the stuff off Left Foot was really well received. Cha boy is pleased with the decision to see him. Thanks for the rec.

(I do want to know about Kanye though, did he play with any guests/band? Cos he played a festival here earlier in the year which I had no chance of attending, and there was no band and no guests, just him, music and the Runaway dancers. Woulda been sick, but it certainly justified not spending $500+ on a festival two states away)

No guests and a minimal band, but all the dancers were there, and the whole production was just massive. There was a rumor that Jay flew in this morning, but nothing ever came of it. People seemed to be expecting that surprise though. When Ye launched into "Run This Town" and earlier threw in a verse from "Niggas in Paris," people seemed certain Jay-Z was about to come out. Never happened. Either way, it was a blast. I cannot praise the guy enough for that show.

It's going to be really hard for anything else to top it, but we'll see what Cut Copy, TVOTR, and Stevie Wonder have to say about that tonight. Definitely skipping the Antlers at 12:30 or whatever though for some extra time at home. I'm getting old.

Just imagine seeing the music video (this was premiered on MTV before the song hit the radio) after ODing on Shuttle & Bum for 2 years:

Shuttlecock- The Bird - YouTube

You were either on board, or left behind.

I just ate that shit up. It was right up my alley. I love Boner directing traffic and whispering into the ears of passers-by at the beginning.
Ah bollocks I had a long winded post about this and I hit the wrong key and lost it all, and I've had too much red wine to try and remember what I wrote, but hell, after R&H and U2 pretending they came from the Mississippi delta and the admittedly great Lovetown shows, seeing U2 come out from 2 years of total silence with the Fly was so fucking awesome. Bono in leather and black hair and shades :drool: and that guitar OH MY GAWD. Loved every out there minute of it.

This is the sort of stuff that reminds me why I love this band...

Just imagine seeing the music video (this was premiered on MTV before the song hit the radio) after ODing on Shuttle & Bum for 2 years:

Shuttlecock- The Bird - YouTube

I just ate that shit up. It was right up my alley. I love Boner directing traffic and whispering into the ears of passers-by at the beginning.
It's funny looking back, too, because you can see that they're in the planning stages of putting ZooTV together: Bono has all the leather and the glasses but hasn't yet decided to put on a shirt on underneath the jacket. Edge has the pants, the beanie and the beater but hasn't yet gotten the sleeveless purple button down. And Larry and Adam haven't gotten their looks yet. They've started with the information overload (Everything You Know Is Wrong, Watch More TV) in the background but haven't fully embraced it yet.

Have any of you read the INXS thread in EYKIW? It actually turned me retarded for several minutes.

It's funny looking back, too, because you can see that they're in the planning stages of putting ZooTV together: Bono has all the leather and the glasses but hasn't yet decided to put on a shirt on underneath the jacket. Edge has the pants, the beanie and the beater but hasn't yet gotten the sleeveless purple button down. And Larry and Adam haven't gotten their looks yet. They've started with the information overload (Everything You Know Is Wrong, Watch More TV) in the background but haven't fully embraced it yet.

Adam's perfectly-coiffed hair makes him look like one of the non-Hutchence members of INXS. He looks great, but it's hard not to laugh. And also not hard to understand how he was able to snag Naomi Campbell.

I was so on board. It remains the most excited I have ever been about a new record.

The Fly absolutely had me from the first time I heard it on the radio. I was right at that age too, so it (and Achtung as a whole) were the first 'oh, music' lightning bolt for me. And The Fly still gives me a bit of that shot every time. Down the front at Glastonbury with the ZooTV visuals looming over me was one of those pure, naked, total happiness moments (the whiskey and weed during Radiohead beforehand probably didn't hurt).

Also, I recently saw this photo of that performance that displays the importance of context.

Edge+Glastonbury+Festival+2011+Day+Two+9bl_oN1LboGl.jpg

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or what, but Highway 61 Revisited is one of the best produced records ever. I mean, sure, there aren't any mindblowing effects or especially creative panning (although it does subtly separate the instruments to the extent that it feels as if the amps are in front of you, a few feet apart from each other) or anything of the kind, but has any record ever captured the sound of a great band live in the studio? Every instrument is clear as a bell within the mix, and on less adorned tracks like Desolation Row, has a more majestic acoustic guitar tone ever been achieved?

It's also one of those rare albums that I would give a perfect score to without thinking about it yet sounds richer ever time I hear it. Definitely my favorite Dylan album, even though Freewheelin' and Blood On The Tracks are more emotional experiences for me.

Popmartijn said:
You mean Tricky's Evolution Revolution Love? Yes, that's quite a good song. As is the Blowback album it appears on (with guest contribution by various Chili Peppers, Alanis Morissette and others too). That album was the first album which made me aware of the so-called 'Loudness War' because it was a lot louder than other albums I had at that time.

nah, but i remember that being pretty good. I forget what song. "simple creed" perhaps? too lazy to dig up the iPod right now and check.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or what, but Highway 61 Revisited is one of the best produced records ever. I mean, sure, there aren't any mindblowing effects or especially creative panning (although it does subtly separate the instruments to the extent that it feels as if the amps are in front of you, a few feet apart from each other) or anything of the kind, but has any record ever captured the sound of a great band live in the studio? Every instrument is clear as a bell within the mix, and on less adorned tracks like Desolation Row, has a more majestic acoustic guitar tone ever been achieved?

It's also one of those rare albums that I would give a perfect score to without thinking about it yet sounds richer ever time I hear it. Definitely my favorite Dylan album, even though Freewheelin' and Blood On The Tracks are more emotional experiences for me.

I can't disagree with any of this, but one could make an argument that Bob Johnson did an even greater job on Blonde on Blonde. It's not as fun of a listen, and at times it can be tough to slog through the whole thing. But when you're talking about a feeling of a live band playing? I think BOB sounds even more organic. I find it to be more emotional than its predecessor as well.

Having said that, it's hard for me to put it above Highway 61, which starts with a revolutionary bang and doesn't really let up for its entirety. When your weakest song is the title track (IMO), you have a damned amazing album. And it amazes me that something as brilliant as Positively 4th Street was left off the final tracklist.

My rankings often shift, but at this moment:

1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. Blood on the Tracks
3. Oh Mercy
4. Blonde on Blonde
5. New Morning

Blonde On Blonde has grown on me lately. Sure, I can hardly remember how most of the second half songs go when it's over, but you've got to be a soulless piece of shit not to see the appeal of Stuck Inside of Mobile and Visions of Johanna (still my favorite Dylan song). It would be one of my favorites as a single album.

What is this, April?

By which I mean... pass the Dutchie.

I love the giggles. My mate picked up a battery-powered chainsaw and tried to cut my mate's hair :lol:

I'm sure this is re: Mr. Patton's set, which was really enjoyable. Kicked it off with a Speakerboxxx cut, "So Fresh So Clean" threw everyone into a frenzy, and the stuff off Left Foot was really well received. Cha boy is pleased with the decision to see him. Thanks for the rec.

No guests and a minimal band, but all the dancers were there, and the whole production was just massive. There was a rumor that Jay flew in this morning, but nothing ever came of it. People seemed to be expecting that surprise though. When Ye launched into "Run This Town" and earlier threw in a verse from "Niggas in Paris," people seemed certain Jay-Z was about to come out. Never happened. Either way, it was a blast. I cannot praise the guy enough for that show.

It's going to be really hard for anything else to top it, but we'll see what Cut Copy, TVOTR, and Stevie Wonder have to say about that tonight. Definitely skipping the Antlers at 12:30 or whatever though for some extra time at home. I'm getting old.

:) So glad you enjoyed it man, seriously. As for Yeezy, well. He can continue interrupting Taylor Swift and comparing himself to Hitler or whatever, he keeps putting out amazing music, it's all good.

Have any of you read the INXS thread in EYKIW? It actually turned me retarded for several minutes.

I still have not listened to an entire Dylan album, although I have heard the three-disc best-of set from a few years back all the way through.

Yeah, I should. But I just do not really care for him. I recognize his immense talent and even more immense influence, but he has just never clicked with me.

With unanimously revered artists, I tend to give their full albums a chance because they have unique moods that career retrospectives could never achieve. Besides, how could anyone go their entire life without sitting down for a (preferably angry) listen to Blood On The Tracks in a dark room, or a long walk with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan? It would be a shame if anyone missed out on that. Some albums are just too special to say you haven't heard, even if you don't especially care for them.

Yeah, that and Illmatic are the two hip-hop albums I would say everyone has to hear if they want to properly judge hip-hop.

I can't even begin to describe how awesome Stevie Wonder was tonight. Also saw Iron & Wine, Skrillex*, Cut Copy, and TVOTR. Another fine day.

*all this shit is beginning to sound exactly the same.

LemonMelon said:

Haha I've heard The Prequel, and it does indeed suck major balls. But I'm thinking about becoming a completist. Been a long while since I've done that and there's so much to mine with the Wu. The first round of solo albums almost all have unanimous praise.

Imperor said:
I can't even begin to describe how awesome Stevie Wonder was tonight. Also saw Iron & Wine, Skrillex*, Cut Copy, and TVOTR. Another fine day.

*all this shit is beginning to sound exactly the same.

You a fan? I fucking hate that "dubstep", and how popular it is. Cunt also looks like an absolute fuckwit.

What a fucking weekend you're having.

Skrillex's music sounds like shit, which is strange because it's so overproduced. Every beat, sample and synth line is distorted to oblivion and strewn wherever. Then he takes each of his 7 ideas and moves from one to the next before they can go anywhere.

It's like the aural equivalent of this:

tumblr_lnx02hkvCk1qjvi5l.gif

He also looks like an asshole. Not being especially figurative there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom