Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I haven't heard a Good Will Hunting joke in a while. ;)

Listened to my first full Devo album. I may have to investigate them further, they're obviously so much more than "Whip It".

I'm trying for the third or fourth time to listen to a full Pearl Jam album. This time around it's going much better.

Cults just wrapped up and kicked ass. Much louder and fuller sound than you'd expect. That being said, Madeline Follin and the Infinite Frumpiness was a monumental disappointment.

lazarus said:
Go directly to No Code.

Will do, I get the impression we have fairly similar taste in music.

Decided to finally listen to Throwing Copper while I was in the mood as well. It's not bad. The opener was kind of horrendous, but I've enjoyed everything since. Didn't realized I knew two songs by Live ("I Alone", in addition to "Lightning Crashes")

PhilsFan said:
Son of a bitch.

I've seen a ton of Nittany Lion bullshit around already today. Flags, hats, shirts, and so forth. Tell your brood to go home.

Just finished Vitalogy, and oddly enough, I listened to it after hearing Nothingman on the radio this monring.

Even if you may not have immediately fallen in love, or been a bit put off by some things, keep going with it. Devote some time and a few more listens to the full album. As much as any album in the PJ oeuvre, this gets better with repeated spins. Great album.

Also, I hope you didn't actually listen to " "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me". I'm as big a fan of these guys as anyone, and I'm not sure if I've ever made it through that entire song. Maybe once.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Even if you may not have immediately fallen in love, or been a bit put off by some things, keep going with it. Devote some time and a few more listens to the full album. As much as any album in the PJ oeuvre, this gets better with repeated spins. Great album.

Also, I hope you didn't actually listen to " "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me". I'm as big a fan of these guys as anyone, and I'm not sure if I've ever made it through that entire song. Maybe once.

Over the last couple years I've started a few PJ albums, and never finished any of them as I just wasn't into it. This time was quite different and I enjoyed the album quite a bit. I do want to give it a few more listens fairly soon.

I did listen to it and it gave me quite a headache.

Maybe I have heard it more than once, because I can hear that girl's voice saying "It's the only thing I want so much..." or whatever the hell.

I don't know, I just think "Immortality" would have been a great album closer. And that sound collage thing isn't exactly my kind of shit. It is kinda creepy, though.

I just put on Vs for the first time in years. Amazing how much this reminds me of grade 9

Extra weird, its unusually cold here today. Feels like October/November which I'm sure is also adding to my nostalgia as I just looked it up and Vs was released on Oct 19th. Definitely a fall album

I find the interview samples pretty haunting, and really put a punctuation on the theme of the album, released in the wake of Kurt Cobain's death. The fin line of the album referencing suicide directly chills me to the bone.

Word.

Even though Eddie has claimed that "Immortality" isn't written about Kurt's suicide, I still think it is. Or at least that's how I personally interpret it.

Fucking god dammit. I need some coffee.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Maybe I have heard it more than once, because I can hear that girl's voice saying "It's the only thing I want so much..." or whatever the hell.

I don't know, I just think "Immortality" would have been a great album closer. And that sound collage thing isn't exactly my kind of shit. It is kinda creepy, though.

If you're going to cut out the sound collage, you might as well cut Bugs and Aye Davanita while you're at it. All of those "songs" are kind of crappy, but they all contribute to the picture I have of Vitalogy as a batshit, pitch-black, fearlessly experimental record. Not all of it's great, but there's nothing else in their discography quite like it.

I think the album would still be awesome if you sanded off the edges, definitely a very moody and thoughtful record punctuated by some strong rockers, but it wouldn't be as unique.

If you're going to cut out the sound collage, you might as well cut Bugs and Aye Davanita while you're at it. All of those "songs" are kind of crappy, but they all contribute to the picture I have of Vitalogy as a batshit, pitch-black, fearlessly experimental record. Not all of it's great, but there's nothing else in their discography quite like it.

I think the album would still be awesome if you sanded off the edges, definitely a very moody and thoughtful record punctuated by some strong rockers, but it wouldn't be as unique.

You speak sooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom