NFL Draft Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Free agent additions thus far:

Patriots: Adalius Thomas, Kyle (No I'm not another of Tom's sons) Brady, Sammy Morris, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington

Colts: nobody

So U2Kitten you're telling me you're happy with the Colts offseason to date? Why did Peyton restructure his deal if they are gonna just pocket the money? Think he'll be happy about his 8 mil going back to ownership and not to players who might help him repeat?

Coupled with the fact that the Pats have 2 first round picks thanks to the Deion Branch trade in a fairly deep draft, the Pats have certainly made enough moves to show a desire to get back to the Super Bowl...can you say the same for the Mayflower Moving Irsays?

I didn't say I was happy with it, but the Pats seem especially desperate, more than most teams. They're blowing it all now while the Colts are going to wait and see what happens in the draft and with th e free agent market before they decide on anything. They have a lot of good guys they want to keep but a limited amount of money. They also can't afford to go buying up a bunch of guys from other teams until they can settle with their own.

When you've won the Super Bowl, you don't have to rebuild your team by grabbing random guys willy nilly from all over the place. I don't see any other teams doing that either, really. The Colts already have a championship squad, you just have to keep it together best they can with what money they have. They're happy with the guys they've got. Adding in new ones from all over can spoil your chemistry. It's best to keep your core team together, but the Pats have already blown that, letting so many of their original stars go to other teams. I bet they regret that now.

And people joke on Peyton for the sweet sixteen parties while Brady scores with models, well, Peyton has a wife, somebody married him and they love each other. Brady seems to be grabbing girls like the team is grabbing guys, trying to compensate for not winning (though IMO they don't have to they've won enough) How can anyone possibly love them all? And when you only go for models it shows you're looking for another 'trophy' to put on your shelf, not real love, and it will never last. Peyton's love is real.
vv.jpg

But of course nothing I say matters somebody will just give me some snappy response about not knowing what I'm talking about so why bother. We will see what the teams do. Nothing we say will make any difference.

Last edited:
June was rumored to go to the Giants! They don't want him, yay!

Giants not hot after June
Monday, Mar 12, 2007 11:18 am EDT

Getty Images
Despite reports that the New York Giants are expecting to meet this week with linebacker Cato June, no visit has been scheduled and thus far, there's been little interest by the Giants in the unrestricted free agent from the Indianapolis Colts.

The Giants have make contact with June's agent, but no talks of any substance have taken place.

Source: New York Post

Related: Cato June, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_...O957l5SfFDubYF

U2Kitten said:
I didn't say I was happy with it, but the Pats seem especially desperate, more than most teams. They're blowing it all now while the Colts are going to wait and see what happens in the draft and with th e free agent market before they decide on anything. They have a lot of good guys they want to keep but a limited amount of money. They also can't afford to go buying up a bunch of guys from other teams until they can settle with their own.

When you've won the Super Bowl, you don't have to rebuild your team by grabbing random guys willy nilly from all over the place. I don't see any other teams doing that either, really. The Colts already have a championship squad, you just have to keep it together best they can with what money they have. They're happy with the guys they've got. Adding in new ones from all over can spoil your chemistry. It's best to keep your core team together, but the Pats have already blown that, letting so many of their original stars go to other teams. I bet they regret that now.

But of course nothing I say matters somebody will just give me some snappy response about not knowing what I'm talking about so why bother. We will see what the teams do. Nothing we say will make any difference.

You're right - when it comes to free agency and the salary cap, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I could go into detail about why the Patriots' signings are NOTHING like what the Redskins have done the last few years, and explain how they certainly are NOT desperate, as you say.

But all of that would fly right over your head, and therefore would be a waste of my time. And I'm not going to do that, especially to you.

Quite frankly, U2Kitten, I am truly astonished that you are still a member of this place. The only thing you do is go around and make smart ass comments to people who have not said anything to you about the topic at hand. You make derogatory posts left and right, and then say people gang up on you after we take offense to those posts.

If you made a logical comment about why you think the Patriots are overspending, for example, then we could have a good back and forth about how their offseason has gone. But no, you have to come in and make stupid comments that have absolutely no bearing on the situation at all, just to get a rise out of people. Well you know what? It works - you have it perfected to an art form. I'm usually subdued when I converse with you, but I've come to the point where I'm just truly tired of your ways. I really am - I've had enough of you. And judging by some of your posts elsewhere on this forum, I can see that I'm not the only one. So please, in all seriousness, do us all a favor and leave.

phanan said:

You're right - when it comes to free agency and the salary cap, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. I could go into detail about why the Patriots' signings are NOTHING like what the Redskins have done the last few years, and explain how they certainly are NOT desperate, as you say.

But all of that would fly right over your head, and therefore would be a waste of my time. And I'm not going to do that, especially to you.

Quite frankly, U2Kitten, I am truly astonished that you are still a member of this place. The only thing you do is go around and make smart ass comments to people who have not said anything to you about the topic at hand. You make derogatory posts left and right, and then say people gang up on you after we take offense to those posts.

If you made a logical comment about why you think the Patriots are overspending, for example, then we could have a good back and forth about how their offseason has gone. But no, you have to come in and make stupid comments that have absolutely no bearing on the situation at all, just to get a rise out of people. Well you know what? It works - you have it perfected to an art form. I'm usually subdued when I converse with you, but I've come to the point where I'm just truly tired of your ways. I really am - I've had enough of you. And judging by some of your posts elsewhere on this forum, I can see that I'm not the only one. So please, in all seriousness, do us all a favor and leave.

Unnecessary. :|

And I believe her opinion on teams' signings holds just as much weight as anyone else's. She doesn't need to know the fine details of the salary cap and free agency to form an opinion on how a team is doing signing players. I don't know shit about how the cap works, but if I said a team was having a good or bad offseason I doubt I'd get the same kind of response.

U2Kitten has put up with a lot of shit from people in this thread and likewise has also said some things I bet she regrets. She's been posting here (in the NFL threads) for just as long as I have. Why shouldn't she feel entitled to share her opinion?

This really isn't my business since I haven't posted in this thread much since the season ended, but seriously guys. We're not kids, we all should have learned by now how to share the sandbox.

U2Kitten said:

I'll pass on commenting on the comparisons of Brady and Manning's social lives and their total lack of relevence to what goes on with the building of a team.

As for the Pats "signing guys willy nilly"..
here is the AFC free agent signings to date:

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-signings

and here is the nfc:

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/nfc-signings

You'll see the Patriots are about middle of the pack as far as number of transactions...teams like KC, Denver, SF have mad more moves.
The Colts have exactly one move, resigning Rob Morris.

What you are seeing is the result of being over the cap. The Colts are hamstrung. They were fortunate to be able to franchise Freeney, but they have lost Rhodes, will likely lose June and Harper, and won't have the financial resource to adequately replace them. They mortgaged the future, it paid off this year, but at what price?
The Pats have 3 recent titles, may have in essence sacrificed a shot at this past Super Bowl with the way things went down with personnel (though if not for a flu bug, they might have won), but they were smart...people thought they left a lot of unused cap space, but in fact they used that 2006 cap space up on extensions for key players like Koppen and using it up early on Seymour's bonus so they had more cap room this off season, so they actually made good use of the cap space and left themselves in good position for the offseason.

So they lost Graham and replaced him with K. Brady...better blocker, less effective receiver, but Watson and Thomas are the receiveing options at TE anyway.

They lose Banta-Cain and replace him with Adalius Thomas....major upgrade, probably the preeminent free agent available.
They cut an aging Corey Dillon, Maroney is the feature back now and they add Sammy Morris to help share the load, freeing up more cap space.

The franchise Samuel, so they don't lose him.

They add 3 WR's, probably anticipating Troy Brown retiring and upgrading dramatically, and Washington and Stallworth's contracts are very cap friendly for 2007, loaded with bonuses that the Pats will cut and restructure before paying next of season.

I'm quite pleased with what they've done and we're still 6 weeks from the draft.
If I'm a Colts fan, I may be a bit miffed at the inactivity, it seems on the surface that ownership is content with just the one title.

the pats continue to astonish me with their expertise in franchise building.

they've sat on their cap room for years and years and years. and now they're going out and spending it, and spending it on need, not just names (which is what the redskins did... huge differencce), and at the same time the contracts are cap friendly (another thing which differentiates their moves from those of the redskins). and the deion branch trade has turned out to be brilliant, giving them extra picks in a deep, deep draft.

so the pats have improved for the present while not morgating the future. they are the best run franchise in all of football, if not all of sports (along with the spurs).

the colts? they morgatged the future to win. it worked. but now they're gonna pay for it... they can't keep all these guys. they lose james last year, they'll probably loose june this year, and then freeney will jump for the big pay day next season.

if the giants sacraficed the future in order to win a super bowl, would i care? not at all... i'm okay with a few down years if it means a championship preceeds the down years. but obviously the way the pats do things, never capping out, always having good drafts, always having flexability, is the ideal way to go.

DaveC said:

And I believe her opinion on teams' signings holds just as much weight as anyone else's. She doesn't need to know the fine details of the salary cap and free agency to form an opinion on how a team is doing signing players. I don't know shit about how the cap works, but if I said a team was having a good or bad offseason I doubt I'd get the same kind of response.

U2Kitten has put up with a lot of shit from people in this thread and likewise has also said some things I bet she regrets. She's been posting here (in the NFL threads) for just as long as I have. Why shouldn't she feel entitled to share her opinion?

This really isn't my business since I haven't posted in this thread much since the season ended, but seriously guys. We're not kids, we all should have learned by now how to share the sandbox.

Like hell it's not necessary. She's not stating an opinion most of the time - she states things that are not factually correct. When she posts an opinion, it's fine. But when she posts something without having full knowledge of what's she's talking about, then yes, I have a problem with that.

If you stated a team was having a good or bad season, we'd go back and forth and debate what you said in a civilized manner. Time and again, when we try to do that with U2Kitten, we get assailed for picking on her, when we're not. Well you know what? I'm tired of it - I've had enough. And I'm sorry if you think I'm out of bounds here or something, but quite frankly, as you said, you haven't been here as much lately, so perhaps you haven't dealt with it as often.

Hewson said:
So they lost Graham and replaced him with K. Brady...better blocker, less effective receiver, but Watson and Thomas are the receiveing options at TE anyway.

They lose Banta-Cain and replace him with Adalius Thomas....major upgrade, probably the preeminent free agent available.
They cut an aging Corey Dillon, Maroney is the feature back now and they add Sammy Morris to help share the load, freeing up more cap space.

The franchise Samuel, so they don't lose him.

They add 3 WR's, probably anticipating Troy Brown retiring and upgrading dramatically, and Washington and Stallworth's contracts are very cap friendly for 2007, loaded with bonuses that the Pats will cut and restructure before paying next of season.

I'm quite pleased with what they've done and we're still 6 weeks from the draft.
If I'm a Colts fan, I may be a bit miffed at the inactivity, it seems on the surface that ownership is content with just the one title.

If you think about it, this offseason has been business as usual for the Patriots, with the exception of Thomas.

They've added second-tier free agents with Kyle Brady and Sammy Morris, a practice they use every year.

And as you mentioned, they signed Washington and Stallworth to very cap friendly terms for 2007. Let's face it - it would take a season for the ages for Stallworth to return next year. But you take a chance for the first year and see how it works out first. Same with Washington, and if he has a great year, his bonuses aren't as high, and I could see the Pats holding onto him.

They also added Wes Welker. Let's remember that if they had had to make an offer sheet to him, it wouldn't have been as cap friendly. By agreeing to add a 7th round pick and trading for him, the Patriots got him onboard with a multi-year deal that is much more cap friendly.

As Headache mentioned, the way the Patriots manage everything, from the cap to the draft, and still be able to remain competitive, is amazing, and after all those years when they sucked, it's quite gratifying to see this now.

If these WR stay healthy (which is a big if with DT and KW), then this could be the most explosive offensive Tom Brady has ever had. That's pretty scary considering two seasons ago he put up over 4000 yrds of passing offense and that was with what I consider role players at WR.

Their defense will probably be good, again if they stay healthy. And you know they're going to draft smart. This team just keeps reloading.

The 49ers have taken some chances this year in FA, and fankly I don't like it. Clements is a good CB, but I don't think he's worth the $ he got. Lewis is a good safety, but his game has gone down south the past few years (Considine was getting more PT with the Eagles). The 49ers have built a good foundation of young players. I just hope they continue to build through the draft and not mortgage their future with big name free agents.

Even though I don't like the Patriots, I have to give them props for being competitive each year, and really, I think they were the best team in the NFL and playoffs last year. For whatever reason, they choked the 2nd half. I doubt we'll see that happen many more times in the Tom Brady Bill Billicheck era.

I agree Clements was overpaid, but I think if you are the 49ers, they had to do that. When you've had several years with records below .500, sometimes the only way to build it up is to overpay here and there. If they can get to the playoffs and Nolan establishes a winning atmosphere there, it will pay off down the road, and then they'll be able to get more players who would find the team more enticing to play for, without having to spend as much.

I think they are moving in the right direction.

Hewson said:
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Did I miss something?

Lions traded Dre Bly to the Broncos.

Yeah, but now it seems that we're trading Shawn Springs and a draft pick for Bly and three of their picks. At least, that's what I heard late Sunday. It's a crappy deal, IMO. :|

I guess I should have removed Springs from the list. :|

DaveC, you rock :rockon: :up: No one should be dissed here. We should all have a right to say what we want. This goes for everybody, whether somebody likes them or not. There's lots of people here I don't like or agree with but I'm not going to tell them to leave.

Whoever says that but me? Then I get blamed by name for 'ruining' threads when I was the one being jumped on, or many others were just as guilty as I was.

I just got an email from my brother on Rhodes. He thinks Rhodes wants a chance to start, but without the same system he likely won't do any better than Edge did in Arizona. He thinks it will 'get ugly' for Rhodes, and one ring and the cash are going to have to be worth it. A guy might work well in one system but not fit into another.

that's the point... you say some outrageous things from time to time, and when 9 out of 10 people call you on the outrageous things, you claim that you're being picked on. it's your MO.

i've said stupid, outrageous things, too. people then call me on it. i don't think i'm being picked on. when 9 of 10 people tell me "hey, that's pretty stupid," i think to myself "hey, maybe that was pretty stupid."

phanan said:

Like hell it's not necessary. She's not stating an opinion most of the time - she states things that are not factually correct. When she posts an opinion, it's fine. But when she posts something without having full knowledge of what's she's talking about, then yes, I have a problem with that.

If you stated a team was having a good or bad season, we'd go back and forth and debate what you said in a civilized manner. Time and again, when we try to do that with U2Kitten, we get assailed for picking on her, when we're not. Well you know what? I'm tired of it - I've had enough. And I'm sorry if you think I'm out of bounds here or something, but quite frankly, as you said, you haven't been here as much lately, so perhaps you haven't dealt with it as often.

I don't really care whether you and U2Kitten get along, I'm just saying that telling someone to "do us all a favor and leave" is a bit extreme. And by the way, you don't speak for me.

When you think about it, you really can't do anything to actually keep her from the thread, so she can keep posting if she likes. Really the only thing you've accomplished here is to get yourself mad. Life's too short to get so angry about someone you never have and probably never will meet, IMO. :shrug:

You're missing the point, Dave. It has nothing to do with us getting along - as you've stated, I have no idea who she is and most likely never will. When she states her opinions, that's one thing, but when she uses erroneous facts to support her opinions, that's when it becomes an issue. Because at that point, someone will explain to her that she is factually wrong, and when that happens, she goes off. It's not just here in this thread - it's all over the place.

And I never said I spoke for you - that's just a figure of speech and you know it.

My thoughts really have simply mirrored what several mods have been saying, and nothing more. I'm basically just echoing their thoughts. :shrug:

I'll say this, the threads get more entertaining when this stuff goes on.

phanan said:

My thoughts really have simply mirrored what several mods have been saying, and nothing more. I'm basically just echoing their thoughts. :shrug:

But their thoughts are biased, misinformed, and wrong. I think they don't even bother to read my posts, they just listen to a bunch of tattletales (same ones every time) or go oh there she goes again every time I'm in a thread and shit happens. I have seen several threads shut down that had nothing to do with me, but nobody ever singles out and names the one person they think 'ruined' the thread like they do to me. I never understood why everyone wasn't given the same benefit of the doubt here, but they don't. I even think Jick had valid points and had a right to express them like anyone else. Other people have emailed me and told me they had problems too. You know, I am a mod on 2 other boards, and I am very fair with people even if I don't like them or their views. No one can fight, or be 'disruptive' alone!

Last edited:
DaveC said:

I disagree.

U2Kitten has put up with a lot of shit from people in this thread

Sorry but she brings it on herself.

Why shouldn't she feel entitled to share her opinion?

Because every time she does she gets into some kind of argument or altercation.

This really isn't my business since I haven't posted in this thread much since the season ended

Bingo.

So once again, here she is getting into arguments and disrupting this thread not to mention INSULTING the mods. The numerous warnings and chances have done absolutely no good. It's time to go.

U2Kitten said:

But their thoughts are biased, misinformed, and wrong. I think they don't even bother to read my posts, they just listen to a bunch of tattletales (same ones every time) or go oh there she goes again every time I'm in a thread and shit happens. I have seen several threads shut down that had nothing to do with me, but nobody ever singles out and names the one person they think 'ruined' the thread like they do to me. I never understood why everyone wasn't given the same benefit of the doubt here, but they don't. I even think Jick had valid points and had a right to express them like anyone else. Other people have emailed me and told me they had problems too. You know, I am a mod on 2 other boards, and I am very fair with people even if I don't like them or their views. No one can fight, or be 'disruptive' alone!

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. Almost every post that gets closed, it seems that there's always one reoccuring theme, and that's you getting into arugments with everyone.

It's very OK to disagree with someone, or to be passionate about something, but you throw out your opinions and expect no one to respond, or you expect everyone to agree. And what you say has been very outrageous at times. And you're free to say things like that, but you get SO defensive when someone disagrees or points out that maybe your facts are not correct.

I wouldn't recommend you just leave, but I think you need to think about taking a break. You seem to get upset so much in here and that can't be healthy, and even if you do enjoy the drama, that's still not healthy.

I don't know what else to tell you. You've been warned so many times.

BEAL said:
I wouldn't recommend you just leave, but I think you need to think about taking a break.

It doesnt help, she's taken breaks before.

Back on topic, her access to this forum has been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom