NFL Draft Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the Bears realize that picking so far down they will never get the guy they want, and were willing to give up Jones in a chance to pick higher. I don't know if it will work out for them but surely they're not just dumb, they must have something in mind.

If I'm a Bears fan, I'm very disappointed in what has happened so far this offseason...they have traded their #1 running back for a swap of 2nd round picks, pissed off their prize linebacker to the point of him wanting out, and still have Sexy Rexy at the top of the QB depth chart.
As it stands, I don't see a return to the SuperBowl for them.
Lots of time left to remedy things, but thus far a poor offseason.

U2Kitten said:
Maybe the Bears realize that picking so far down they will never get the guy they want, and were willing to give up Jones in a chance to pick higher. I don't know if it will work out for them but surely they're not just dumb, they must have something in mind.

That's not the issue, though. Obviously, by moving up more than 20 places in the second round, they get to pick someone who just misses the first round. But it doesn't excuse the fact that Thomas Jones is worth more than just moving up 20+ places in the draft. The Bears should have asked for another pick later as well.

We're not questioning the better second round pick itself - we're questioning the fact that the Bears did not get equal value in return for Jones.

Tom Brady's sperm is the Tom Brady of sperm

March 8, 2007
A Brazilian website reported yesterday that Tom Brady's girlfriend Gisele Bundchen may be pregnant and, if so, the Pats QB is the father. According to the popular celebrity website Glamurama.com.br , Bundchen would be no more than two months pregnant, but may already have told select friends and family. The brief item was written by Joyce Pascowitch , who's the Brazilian equivalent of the New York Post's Richard Johnson . Brady's agent Don Yee did not return a phone call yesterday, and Bundchen's rep at IMG denied the report [/B]

Tommy needs to learn to wrap it up if this proves to be true.

He's still having a way better offseason that Peyton, who's busy attending sweet sixteen parties.

The Rams have signed Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael this offseason.

With Bruce, Holt, Bennett as their wideouts, McMichael as the TE, Jackson in the backfield and Pro Bowl Bulger as QB, the Rams offense is going to be scary good.

The defense on the other hand...

So the Bears accept a swap of picks for Jones, and the Bills get 3 draft picks for McGahee.

Wow. Who is the Bears' GM? Ernest goes to Soldier Field?

The Patriots just nabbed Stallworth.

It's a risk because the guy seems to be hurt a lot, but if he stays healthy, the Pats might have finally found a legitimate deep threat.

I'm really amazed at what the Patriots have done this offseason, and we haven't even hit the draft yet.

phanan said:
We knew Rhodes would leave the Colts, but to the Raiders? Talk about going from first to worst. I guess in this case, money was truly the only factor.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/09/bc.fbn.raiders.rhodes.ap/index.html

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know how he'll be sufficiently replaced. I sure hope the drunk driving thing didn't have anything to do with the team not wanting to resign him, or him not wanting to stay. They say all the bad guys end up on the Raiders, he's not a bad guy, really, but the team sure sucks. I guess he's happy with one ring and the cash:sigh:

I'm so glad the Skins are finally building up their defense. :combust:

London Fletcher
Fred Smoot (perfect for causing turnovers)
Dre Bly
And hopefully, in the draft, Alan Branch. :drool:

Our backfield is going to be scary this year with Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Taylor and Vincent. :yes: The group at linebacker looks killer too with Fletcher, Washington, and the strong up-and-comer Rocky McIntosh.

I'm a bit worried about the defensive line though. We had no pass rush last year at all and so far we have done nothing to fix it. Branch is a great athlete but isn't great at rushing the QB. :(

Ok, this is getting crazy now...

Washington joins rebuilt Pats WR corps

Continuing the wholesale overhaul of their wide receiver corps, the New England Patriots on Monday reached a contract agreement with unrestricted free agent Kelley Washington, who played the first four seasons of his career with the Cincinnati Bengals.

The deal can be for as many as five years, with a maximum value of $22 million, but is also structured so that it could be as short as just one season. Washington will receive a signing bonus of $300,000.

As is the case with the six-year contract agreed to with New England by wide receiver Donte Stallworth on Sunday, the Patriots must pick up an option payment to retain the speedy Washington beyond the 2007 season. It is believed that payment is $4 million.

"I am happy to be a part of such a great franchise, and to have the opportunity to help the Patriots get back and win another Super Bowl," Washington said. "The privilege to play with arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, Tom Brady, and to be coached by someone like Bill Belichick is a blessing. I am very excited about contributing to the New England Patriots."

Washington also had a contract offer from the Miami Dolphins.

One of the most active franchises in the early free agent market, the Patriots have been particularly aggressive in rebuilding a wide receiver corps that was a major disappointment in 2006. In addition to signing Stallworth and Washington, the Patriots acquired restricted wide receiver Wes Welker from the Dolphins last week for second- and seventh-round choices in this year's draft.

The gamble on Washington is a solid one, given that the Patriots appear to have made a fairly modest initial investment for a player who has enormous physical upside if he can stay healthy and play to his potential.

Washington, 27, is a big, speedy wide receiver whose career has been stalled by a series of injuries at both the college and professional levels. The former University of Tennessee wideout played only one full season for the Volunteers before leaving school early for the 2003 draft.

A third-round choice of the Bengals in 2003, he has 72 receptions for 893 yards and nine touchdowns in 44 games, including six starts. His best season was in 2004, when Washington registered 31 receptions for 378 yards and three touchdowns.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Golly the Smatriots must be real sore that the Colts won and are trying to build a team to beat them. They hate looking into the magic mirror and seeing they are no longer the fairest of them all. But what's funny is usually when teams go hog wild buying players and building a team they think will be an unbeatable super team, it never works (look at the Redskins)

With the Pats bringing so many receivers on board, you have to wonder why they didn't pony up the money to keep Branch and/or Givens.

U2Kitten said:
Golly the Smatriots must be real sore that the Colts won and are trying to build a team to beat them. They hate looking into the magic mirror and seeing they are no longer the fairest of them all. But what's funny is usually when teams go hog wild buying players and building a team they think will be an unbeatable super team, it never works (look at the Redskins)

When you win three in four then you can smack. The Pats know they need a better team-that being said their team last year was not that bad!! I like how they are actually spending money for a change!!

When is draft day by the way?

U2Kitten said:

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

ljclary said:

When you win three in four then you can smack. The Pats know they need a better team-that being said their team last year was not that bad!! I like how they are actually spending money for a change!!

When is draft day by the way?

Last weekend in April.

Two first round picks for the Patriots. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom