LP13 Discussion - Rumor Has It: Sirens, iTunes Festival, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy shit, that's embarrassing.

I could understand it on a brand new song, but they've played One hundreds (if not thousands) of times, without much variation.

I cannot for the life of me see why Bono felt the need to stop the entire thing outright like it was a rehearsal.

I mean... I've see other acts fuck up a song, stop it and start it over before... Even songs they've played a million times.

It happens...

It just seems to happen more often with U2, especially early on in tours.

I mean... I've see other acts fuck up a song, stop it and start it over before... Even songs they've played a million times.

It happens...

It just seems to happen more often with U2, especially early on in tours.

I suppose it does, but I've only ever really seen it happen in bar or club shows. I would expect a professional, experienced band like U2 to figure those things out in rehearsals. If opening night is coming and you don't have it down pat, it would seem the natural thing to me would be to rehearse your ass off to make sure it's perfect so shit like that doesn't happen. Of course I have no idea what it's like to be in a band, and I'm sure it has happened to other large stadium acts.

In the mid 90s I saw Yes stop a new song and bring out music stands and sheet music!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I was at the Las Vegas Popmart show and it was pretty bad. It sucked because of the hype leading up to that show. I was only 19 at the time but I knew something was off from that night. As much as I kept telling myself after the show, 'It was a really good show', it wasn't.

The sloppy opening of Mofo (crowd had no idea U2 wrote a song called Mofo). Bono's mic issues (Pride). Bono's voice was really bad that night. Restarting Staring at the Sun on the B stage. Edge's guitar on Discotheque. And they sounded really unrehearsed.

I still don't understand why U2 wouldn't lock themselves in a studio to nail those songs from Pop. By the end of the tour those songs were beast but lost a few on the way (DYFL, IGWSHA, & Miami). If they would have played those songs from Pop better on opening night I think it would have helped sales some. They played 10 songs from Pop that night and heard they rehearsed Playboy Mansion.

The Vertigo version of Zoo Station always had something off about it anyway, even after Bono remembered the lyrics. It lacked the punch of ZooTV, mostly because Larry's drumming got really lazy. I also think they turned the bass down for some reason, which didn't help.

I was at the Las Vegas Popmart show and it was pretty bad. It sucked because of the hype leading up to that show. I was only 19 at the time but I knew something was off from that night. As much as I kept telling myself after the show, 'It was a really good show', it wasn't.

That whole first leg was brutal. I saw Dallas and Clemson, and was the only time I was disappointed in U2 shows, it was just not up to their standards. Rage as an opener was actually better than U2 on those nights.

Yet, the end of the tour was fantastic and some of the best I had seen of them.

I'm listening to Vertigo San Diego recordings this morning. Some stuff got screwed up, but it still sounds like it must have been one hell of a great show to attend.

I saw the Chilli Peppers and they messed up a tiny bit during 'Under the Bridge'

i was so mad i left the show early, got into my hot air balloon and floated home with a giant frown on my face.

Then i realized that it was a pretty good show afterall, nobody is perfect and stuff happened, so i had Gustavo turn the balloon around and take me back to the arena so i could finish the show.

Only problem was the show had finished when we returned, and we got a parking ticket for landing the balloon in a handicapped spot. If we had taken the mule we could have parked anywhere we wanted, as long as we cleaned up after the mule.

I guess the lesson in all of this is, all bands make mistakes, or also maybe don't forget your handicapped placard in your hot air balloon. Actually, Gustavo had some of his boys paint the universal handicap symbol on the side of the balloon. Its pretty large, so if you see it floating around you will know its me.

If you've never seen or heard of a professional band screw up and start over you should probably listen to more live music.

I was at the second Popmart show in San Diego, and thought it was a mess, and not simply because the band was sloppy. Though I know they improved on that tour significantly.

I was also at the first Elevation show in Ft. Lauderdale, which IMO was amazing. There were probably a lot of mistakes but none of us really noticed, it was just great to have U2 back playing a scaled down show that sounded and looked just like four guys making music. I saw several Elevation shows, and continue to think it was one of their best, and most underrated (by fans) tours. While Vertigo may have had better set lists, Elevation more than made up for that in the pure passion and commitment the band brought to that tour. They played like they meant it because they did.

I was at the second Popmart show in San Diego, and thought it was a mess, and not simply because the band was sloppy. Though I know they improved on that tour significantly.

I was also at the first Elevation show in Ft. Lauderdale, which IMO was amazing. There were probably a lot of mistakes but none of us really noticed, it was just great to have U2 back playing a scaled down show that sounded and looked just like four guys making music. I saw several Elevation shows, and continue to think it was one of their best, and most underrated (by fans) tours. While Vertigo may have had better set lists, Elevation more than made up for that in the pure passion and commitment the band brought to that tour. They played like they meant it because they did.

Agreed. It's easy to listen to bootlegs and look at setlists and say that Elevation was weak, but I still consider the Chicago show after 9/11 the best concert I've ever been too, and the band only played 19 songs that night.

With that said, from a bootleg perspective, Popmart Leeds is my favorite U2 recording of all time.

I saw the Chilli Peppers and they messed up a tiny bit during 'Under the Bridge'

i was so mad i left the show early, got into my hot air balloon and floated home with a giant frown on my face.

Then i realized that it was a pretty good show afterall, nobody is perfect and stuff happened, so i had Gustavo turn the balloon around and take me back to the arena so i could finish the show.

Only problem was the show had finished when we returned, and we got a parking ticket for landing the balloon in a handicapped spot. If we had taken the mule we could have parked anywhere we wanted, as long as we cleaned up after the mule.

I guess the lesson in all of this is, all bands make mistakes, or also maybe don't forget your handicapped placard in your hot air balloon. Actually, Gustavo had some of his boys paint the universal handicap symbol on the side of the balloon. Its pretty large, so if you see it floating around you will know its me.

:up:

I totally agree.

I was listening to Invisible in the car on full volume the other day, and the cleanness and character in his voice are at a level I haven't noticed since Achtung Baby. Sounds like hyperbole I know, but I am quite happy with it at this stage. The other thing I love is that the lyrics seem less forced and less awkward and twisted. That isn't saying they are 'great', but stylistically very different than HTDAAB and NLOTH. He's not over-explaining as much, leaving semi-veiled concepts to float, not forcing the meaning down your throat in 5 more syllables than fit naturally in the line.

I've said since Invisible came out that it had a very AB-esque feel to it. And I would be THRILLED if the entire album (albums?) had songs at or above this level.

Didn't we have this same Vancouver rumour floating around like 2 years ago? :lol:
Yeah, I swear we did. Around the same time we thought we were actually getting SOA as an album. :lol:

I doubt they'd wait until May to do a tour, especially with a Sept/Oct album. And I -HIGHLY- doubt they're doing stadiums in the US again. They don't want another PopMart. They had huge success as a stadium act for Zoo and then had 1/2 empty stadiums on PopMart (including Mr CK's 1st U2 show in Columbus). They sold out 360 because it was a unique stage set up, and a show that had all the great songs even the casuals expect as well as rarities that us hardcores never thought we'd see again *looking at you, Zooropa* .

I figure it's gonna be a stripped down arena tour aka Vertigo. And I'm okay with that. I just want the tour already. 3 yrs is too long :lol:

By the time U2 got to DC & NY Popmart started sounding better. By the time they reach Europe they were an animal. When I saw them on the 3rd leg in San Antonio TX it looked & sounded like a whole new tour/band. The POP songs had people on their feet. There wasn't really a dull moment on that show.

And yes Elevation was great. Especially those performances of Bad

I saw The Pixies in 2005 and they completely borked the intro of "Gigantic", Black Francis laughed his head off and they started it again. It was brilliant.

By the same token, very few bands play perfect shows and I have listened to the July 9, 2011 show in Montreal about 50 times and that thing is damn near note perfect.

Back
Top Bottom