LP 13/Invisible: Please return, there's stuff to see!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like the room just cleared of smoke
I didn't even want the heart you broke
It's yours to keep
You just might need one

I finally found my real name
I won't be me when you see me again
No, I won't be my father's son.

Actually dealing with the emotional effect on his father when he changed his name to Bono - that's MUCH heavier and more meaningful than anything since MoFo.

These lyrics actually don't do much for me. It will be interesting to see how they sound with the melody of the song.

It's yours to keep
You just might need one

Actually dealing with the emotional effect on his father when he changed his name to Bono - that's MUCH heavier and more meaningful than anything since MoFo.

:up:

It's yours to keep
You just might need one

This is just excruciatingly bad. Did Bono lift this from a c-grade emo-pop band?

"It's yours to keep/You just might need one", oooh, ice cold burn Bono, nobody's ever said that melodramatically before.

Yes, yes, bad lyrics can be redeemed by good delivery and vice versa, so let's wait and see, but good heavens, we've been making fun of "magic marker"?

Given the fact that they have been a bit fresh, exciting and trying to pick up their media game, the small 1% hope that he is bluffing in order to divert fans is keeping the candle burning. It is a very very slim hope though

This is just excruciatingly bad. Did Bono lift this from a c-grade emo-pop band?

"It's yours to keep/You just might need one", oooh, ice cold burn Bono, nobody's ever said that melodramatically before.

Yes, yes, bad lyrics can be redeemed by good delivery and vice versa, so let's wait and see, but good heavens, we've been making fun of "magic marker"?

See, I actually liked the magic marker line, and I also appreciate that he is actually writing about something again. I am hopeful - but I take your point...

A best of release instead of a new album this year???!!!1111! :no:

I kind of like how confused people get around here. :lol:

There will be no rehashed albums until after the new album, people. They aren't going to schedule that sort of stuff with a new release imminent.

So, to clarify, the new album is the next major release and they are attempting to get it out by the summer.

Really interested to hear the inside track on this whole period of the band's career. Also REALLY interested to hear what DM thinks about the whole experience. If they mess with producers I can't help but think the album will be a conceptual mess like NLOTH.

Actually can't quite believe that they are thinking of working with others, this is almost worst case scenario for me. :angry:

Pretty amazing that not only is the album not done, but more producers have been brought in beside Danger Mouse.

Continues to feel like the band is lost. Almost scared.

Excited for the new tune though.

See, I actually liked the magic marker line, and I also appreciate that he is actually writing about something again. I am hopeful - but I take your point...

The magic marker line was actually the best part of that song...it wasn't forced with sloganeering like a lot of Bono's recent lyric writing. It's like every verse needs to be some Confucius-like statement.

Whatever happened to Pop?

To be honest, if they decided to release a new song every one-two months (not even necessarily as a single) prior to the release of an album, I would like that a lot.

I also appreciate that he is actually writing about something again.

As opposed to what? MOS? Cedars? White as Snow?

I agree with Axver, the new lyrics are excruciating. They don't conjure up anything in my head and read clunkily. Hopefully they translate OK to record.

These lyrics are really basic and just not very interesting, but even lyrics like these can 'sound' better depending on their delivery in the song.

Ugh, I'm just trying to find any sort of positive in all of this.

If they mess with producers I can't help but think the album will be a conceptual mess like NLOTH.

That's probably why "All That You Can't Leave Behind" is more than the sum of its parts according to Bono...they didn't switch producers like the last two albums and everything is a cohesive whole. Regardless of the quality of the material, there's no denying it all fits together in some way whereas the last two albums have a lot of really haphazard shifts between one style and the next.

No Line should have stuck with the proggy aspect and Lanois/Eno as band members. "I'll Go Crazy Tonight" and "Stand Up Comedy" and "White As Snow" in particular don't fit the weirdness of the rest of the album.

Nearly everything > "magic marker" > the sounds of a truck stop bathroom > "we're butter on toast"

I'm not sure what you mean by "writing about something again", since the first half just sounds like generic mid-2000s emo-pop lyrics and the second half is recycling the same awkward-father-relationship theme Bono's used on every album since Zooropa. I'd love to agree with you, because I miss when U2 songs really had a point beyond sloganeering or grasping at an anthemic chorus, but I'm just not seeing it from that sample.

As for those lyrics, I think they're going to be kind of half-sung or part of an angry coda. I can't see Bono actually singing them as the main part of a song, but they're a good lead-in or lead out from a chorus. Otherwise, yeah, they're super clunky.

But whatever, we don't need to micro-analyze a song we're all going to hear in just over 48 hours. At least the response will be better than "Boots" I imagine. :lol:

Nearly everything > "magic marker" > the sounds of a truck stop bathroom > "we're butter on toast"

Hahaha, yes, this.

Man, even Brokencyde have given us one or two lyrics better than "butter on toast". Emphasis on "one or two".

But whatever, we don't need to micro-analyze a song we're all going to hear in just over 48 hours. At least the response will be better than "Boots" I imagine. :lol:

Oh god, can you imagine the epic flame war this place would've had if certain lyrics from Boots had leaked in an interview? Interference was mortified enough by the title! :lol:

So, what direction of the recent material (NLOTH, new songs from 360 Tour and "Ordinary Love") do people actually want this band to go?

I'd personally like stuff along the lines of "Fez-Being Born"...I think they have nothing left to prove in the anthemic pop territory (as much as I love "Crazy Tonight")...I certainly don't think there's anywhere else to go for them based on their recent history, so perhaps that's why they sought out Danger Mouse for this supposed reinvention.

Anyway, just something to think about since there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus over what exactly were the best tunes on NLOTH whereas the previous two albums clearly have their favorites on Interference. Perhaps some people want them to go weirder while others loved stuff like "Maginificent" a whole bunch?

Also, "Breathe" doesn't count as a traditional U2 song. That thing is fucking sick in its structure. If they could write more songs like that, they'd be on to something.

Well I predicted in this very forum a month ago that this was coming. Ultimately, other producers will be involved with the album. The band LOVES Paul Epworth's version of Ordinary Love and so do most of the fans. I can nearly guarantee that he is the one who is now picking over the rest of the album.

I still think we'll get it in June.

For whatever reason I recall the reception to Boots being pretty positive for the first several day and then everything started to sour. :lol:

Oh god, can you imagine the epic flame war this place would've had if certain lyrics from Boots had leaked in an interview? Interference was mortified enough by the title! :lol:

It actually impressed me that the response was so indifferent to the track. Interference is notorious for overrating new U2 albums and then disliking them (or not liking them as much) about a year later. Happened with all three of the last releases, yet "Boots" didn't receive some over-the-top response.

Maybe it's just because it clearly wasn't a good song from the outset? I think part of it has to do with it clearly attempting to be in the mold of "Vertigo"...it's the first time U2 literally tried to copy themselves in order to generate a hit.

So, what direction of the recent material (NLOTH, new songs from 360 Tour and "Ordinary Love") do people actually want this band to go?

I'd personally like stuff along the lines of "Fez-Being Born"...I think they have nothing left to prove in the anthemic pop territory (as much as I love "Crazy Tonight")...I certainly don't think there's anywhere else to go for them based on their recent history, so perhaps that's why they sought out Danger Mouse for this supposed reinvention.

Anyway, just something to think about since there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus over what exactly were the best tunes on NLOTH whereas the previous two albums clearly have their favorites on Interference. Perhaps some people want them to go weirder while others loved stuff like "Maginificent" a whole bunch?

Also, "Breathe" doesn't count as a traditional U2 song. That thing is fucking sick in its structure. If they could write more songs like that, they'd be on to something.

I'd like them to make an album of Cedar of Lebanon type songs but the possibility of that happening is less than one.

I'm not overly concerned with the 'experimentation' thing so many like to push, I'd rather they just release an album of great songs regardless of whether they're reminiscent of past works or not.

Well I predicted in this very forum a month ago that this was coming. Ultimately, other producers will be involved with the album. The band LOVES Paul Epworth's version of Ordinary Love and so do most of the fans. I can nearly guarantee that he is the one who is now picking over the rest of the album.

I still think we'll get it in June.

For the love of God, that would be an awesome choice. He literally took a clunky, plodding number and turned it into something that gives me goosebumps and is rather tuneful. I would not be surprised if the Epworth version is the one we ended up hearing on a future hits compilation (think how Electrical Storm's remix was on the last Best Of instead of the band's original cut).

Seriously, if he can do a successful hatchet job like that, he can probably turn all the middling numbers into something listenable with just a few weeks of time. I am so down for this. :up:

So I pop my head in here to see if things have improved, and stumble across this little gem:

Has anyone read the sister article to the "experimenting with other producers" one?
'Invisible' will debut during Super Bowl, then help raise funds for fight against AIDS

- Invisible not the lead single.
- A proper lead single has already been identified.
- Album is still targeted for the summer.

Invisible is not, U2's frontman notes, the first official single from the group's long-awaited new album, expected later this year. "We have another song we're excited about to kick off the album," he says. "This is just sort of a sneak preview — to remind people we exist."

The track was chosen because "it's the first one we finished," Bono says, chuckling. The band has "lots and lots of songs" compiled, he adds, but will continue to work on the album "for a couple of months. We want it to come out this SUMMER, but you don't want to let anyone down."

:hmm:

:lol::lol::lol::lmao::lmao::lmao:

By the way, has the Epworth remix been put up for download anywhere? @U2 said it was put up for free on Soundcloud, but you can't download it from there, so...

Seems to me that there isn't an MP3 yet, but I never use the iTunes store...

I'd personally like stuff along the lines of "Fez-Being Born"

Agreed. I'd like them to push themselves into unfamiliar territory where they aren't entirely comfortable. That's tended to produce their most exciting, engaging stuff in the past.

Though to be honest, I'd just be happy if they now decided to relax, not worry about hits or public reception, and just wrote their bread and butter, doing what they know they can do best, simply for themselves. A few nice tunes that are easy to make and fun to play. Who knows, that could result in some enjoyable tracks. They're past the point in their career when they're going to shake up the music industry or take every chart by storm; let's hear a band comfortable in their own skins, writing for no reason other than the pleasure and joy of it. If that's just a bunch of effortless chimy songs, which don't take five years or fifty producers to finish, that's fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom