Interference Random Music Thread Part IX: Guys! THE PEEF DAWG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cass, you'll be happy to know I caught a lot of shows alone this weekend. You might be on to something here.

Nice! I'm glad you hear you made it through them and maybe even liked going solo. Funnily enough, the GRIZ! show was the first I'd gone to with other people in a long time, and we all ended up splitting up and watching the show on our own anyway. There's definitely something to be said about being able to focus solely on the show/music and not thinking about if your friend's having a good time or whatever.

Appreciate it. This weekend was the second time we've hung out in about two months, and there was plenty I enjoyed about her company. Never once had the urge to make a move or anything, so the entire poisoning-against-me thing her friend is doing is baseless. But fuck it. Was I really off base not wanting to be around them together even being over it? I told her if the shoe was on the other foot she'd feel the same way, but she disagreed. I mean I think you can be over somebody and still not want to physically see them with someone else.

I don't think you were in the wrong here either. There are at least a couple of people I've dated that I can't see with other people; it's just how it goes. I certainly don't think it means you're not over her or something like that. But, fuck her, it sounds like she's not worth your trouble anymore.

Nice! I'm glad you hear you made it through them and maybe even liked going solo. Funnily enough, the GRIZ! show was the first I'd gone to with other people in a long time, and we all ended up splitting up and watching the show on our own anyway. There's definitely something to be said about being able to focus solely on the show/music and not thinking about if your friend's having a good time or whatever.

Well, consider me converted. I'm even trying to get a single to this Thursday's THE WILC! show.

I don't think you were in the wrong here either. There are at least a couple of people I've dated that I can't see with other people; it's just how it goes. I certainly don't think it means you're not over her or something like that. But, fuck her, it sounds like she's not worth your trouble anymore.

Yeah, she's really not. Thanks.

It also sounds like her new pal is immature, insecure, and an asshole.

I can't speak to that since I don't know how much of it is him imposing or her being a bitch. It didn't ruin my weekend at all though. Even though it wasn't my best festival from a musical standpoint, it may have been the most fun one.

Surely the least humorous running gag Laz has tried to make catch on in his time here, amirite?

Without question. His ongoing rhetoric war with The Shouter makes up for it though.

He's battling a band like Wilco in the manner that we normally battle bands that have earned that type of scorn. It's perplexing.

Since you guys started talking about THE VOLKS!, I should let you know that I finally attempted to check out their "new" album. I only had time to get about halfway into it, and I know this is going to seem pre-ordained, but VWilcock (The Song) is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life. I literally feel sorry for the people that have to stomach a band they love releasing something like that. It's worse than Cock Crazy and Stand Up Referee put together. It's not just the idiotic idea of the song and the lyrics, but the execution and that painfully weak "Oh oh oh oh" on the chorus. FAIL. You should be embarrassed and ashamed of the band, and of yourselves for liking it.

The second song was pretty blah and nearly put me to sleep. I liked the third and fourth ones, though I don't see what the big deal is about Bull Cock Nova. I mean, this isn't anywhere near the shredding peaks on A Ghost Is Born. I also liked the song with iFeist™, and the song after that was decent but something they've done over and over again with better results. That's far as I got that.

My main problem with the band, and I'm talking this decade because I love all the 90's stuff, has always been with Tweedy. I don't like his wannabe-weird lyrics, and he's probably the lamest/most unexciting vocalist of a great band (a similar criticism I have of VWilcock antecedent Grateful Dead, but at least Jerry had some good harmonies with the others at times). I go back and listen to Being There and I think he was doing a much better job.

For the record, I really did like Cock Blew Cock.
:shrug:

If U2 finally makes it to Philly next year, I'll probably go alone (who am I going to go with, really?).

As with many artists, I don't necessarily think the old stuff is the best. But here's a career-spanning shortlist:

Transformer (produced by THE BOW!)
Berlin (depressing, but essential)
Street Hassle
The Blue Mask (many feel this is his masterpiece; ferocious and stereo-separated two-guitar attack from Reed and Robert Quine)
Legendary Hearts (same lineup as the above, almost as good)
New York (his best songwriting and most accessible album I'd say, not a bad song in the set)
Set The Twilight Reeling (my personal favorite, a late-period album that features some out of this world guitar work, and is very sonically eclectic)

You could also get ahold of the AMAZING boxed set Between Thought And Expression, which is a good primer.

Wanting to check if Explosions in the Sky had anything new available, I quickly and without thinking typed "EITS" into the iTunes search bar. It gave me this:

rebecca.jpg

I think my pick up line this weekend is gonna be "So how about that new Vampire Weekend song?"

You might also be inclined to try "how about Gnarls Barkley? That guy's great. Have you been to his official website?"

/Lemon'd

I put Supergrass into the car spinner this week. A bit generic, innit?

Which album? Their debut, I Should Coco, is one of my favorite albums of the 90s. Just a frivolous head rush of youthful abandon. Much like one of GAF's nights out, except he wasn't offered his own TV show. Yet.

Back
Top Bottom