2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjn_GHPutI

Thanks for the video Pepo - wonderful.

THAT'S how you end a concert. When I joined here I was taken by how there wasn't exactly universal love for "40" but it's still the best closer they'll ever write, imo - for hymn-like qualities, for the message, for the crowd singing and singing and singing. I chose it for the final song at my brother's funeral last year, I'm sitting here watching them do it last night with a few tears, I'll admit. Hope it reappears on the tour, it means so much to me.

I don't think you'd find anyone on this forum that doesn't like it. Just most of the time people base their opinions on studio versions and in that regard "40" is something of an afterthought.

It sounded uninspired during Vertigo tour, last night performance was perfect. Congenial closer. I´m surprised how much distortion Edge had on the bass.

^ my thoughts too, the distortion was the sound of 30 years ago! Sounded fabulous.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Wow, Zoo Station and The Fly sound like fucking shit in this clip...

I think it sounds great, how it was supposed to sound. I saw the ZOO TV tour five times in 1992. Bono's vocals were always heavily distorted or at least it sounded that way, on those songs. There have been good versions of The Fly since then, but nothing as good as their 1992 performances for that song.

I think it sounds great, how it was supposed to sound. I saw the ZOO TV tour five times in 1992. Bono's vocals were always heavily distorted or at least it sounded that way, on those songs. There have been good versions of The Fly since then, but nothing as good as their 1992 performances for that song.

Exactly.

The Fly at Boston 2001 is unbeatable imo. But all the versions are great.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Perhaps part of the problem is that U2 have stuck fairly rigidly to the same warhorses tour after tour, despite having enough material that you could fill two setlists with nothing but international hits.

This is the band that keeps playing Mysterious Ways, even though they have EBTTRT - which was left out of the setlist for a decade despite being a big single. HMTMKMKM, also very well known, was left out for twelve years while the likes of WOWY just got more and more plodding. Sweetest Thing, probably their most globally popular single between HMTMKMKM and Beautiful Day, had only 33 performances to its name before this year. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and In God's Country are singles from U2's two best selling albums, yet have been played exceedingly rarely since their debut tours. The Unforgettable Fire was again a successful single and appears on a Best Of, yet went almost twenty years between performances. All I Want Is You(!!) has often struggled to hold down a permanent position; Popmart is the only tour since Lovetown when it has appeared at a majority of shows. I don't need to tell the tale of Discotheque.

So imagine a U2 set containing: EBTTRT, HMTMKMKM, Sweetest Thing, WGRYWH, In God's Country, Unforgettable Fire, AIWIY, and Discotheque.

It's safe to say that apart from a few usual suspects, there would be very little complaint here, lots of elation, and most casual fans would be very happy to hear all these hits they know from Best Ofs/JT/AB.

I've never understood why All I Want is You rarely gets played and if it does it's only usually an abridged or accoustic version. It is a very popular u2 song, popular also with people who know little about the band. It would make a perfect alternative to Woth or Without You, i'm baffled as to why it isn't a regular.

All I Want Is You OR Running to Stand Still
Streets
Bad

Should be the encore every night.

Last edited:
Just listening to the Forum version of California and I can't help but hear a massive similarity between the opening 10-15 seconds and the intro to the version of Magnificent that we saw on that old Fez video. Maybe it's just me because i :love: both.

I love both songs, and I hate to agree with GG for so many reasons, but I'd choose AIWIY over RTSS just about every time….but, you cannot go wrong with either.

Now, if they were going to bring back the Zoo TV RTSS, I'd happily take that one over All I Want Is YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom