2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember setlist bitching as far back as the ZOO TV Tour. Anyone experience that on the Joshua Tree Tour or UF tour?

Anyways, we are just a few shows into the start of a new tour here in 2015. Just over 23 years ago U2 had also just started a new tour in March 1992 called ZOO TV. Here is MTV's report of the opening night, including some discussion about the setlist and fan disappointment with the setlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

"We might lose some of the pop kids, but we don't need them."

That's what you mean? Bono said that a number of times throughout the 90s.

It's amazing how much more confident U2 were in 1992 than they've been since Pop.

During 360, Bono said that there were songs that they had to play, basically for the sake of nostalgia in the audience.

"We might lose some of the pop kids, but we don't need them."

That's what you mean? Bono said that a number of times throughout the 90s.

It's amazing how much more confident U2 were in 1992 than they've been since Pop.

During 360, Bono said that there were songs that they had to play, basically for the sake of nostalgia in the audience.

Do you really think it was "much more confident" to say that? Do you remember the 90's? Everyone was slapping the term 'alternative' on everything. It was becoming the mainstream, the safest thing to do was make fun of pop music.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I remember setlist bitching as far back as the ZOO TV Tour. Anyone experience that on the Joshua Tree Tour or UF tour?

Anyways, we are just a few shows into the start of a new tour here in 2015. Just over 23 years ago U2 had also just started a new tour in March 1992 called ZOO TV. Here is MTV's report of the opening night, including some discussion about the setlist and fan disappointment with the setlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

I think the biggest difference between then and now is the internet.

I went to a European JT show, in Birmingham, and apart from a boot from Chicago didn't really know what the set would be. Also saw the show that started with 'Stand By Me', at Wembley Stadium, and thought it so spontaneous and was completely different to what I had seen in Birmingham. Yet they had done that opener a few times previous.

Now we have live feeds, boots within hours of the shows, youtube full of videos the following day. A lot of fans are over familiar to the show before they've even seen it!

Without the internet who ya gonna bitch to?

I think the biggest difference between then and now is the internet.

I went to a European JT show, in Birmingham, and apart from a boot from Chicago didn't really know what the set would be. Also saw the show that started with 'Stand By Me', at Wembley Stadium, and thought it so spontaneous and was completely different to what I had seen in Birmingham. Yet they had done that opener a few times previous.

Now we have live feeds, boots within hours of the shows, youtube full of videos the following day. A lot of fans are over familiar to the show before they've even seen it!

Without the internet who ya gonna bitch to?

All of this.

I saw ZOOTV and it was about the 10th show, and other than that MTV report I knew nothing about what I would see. I guessed Zoo Station would open but that was about it.

I found a bootleg VHS video that summer '92 of opening night, so 5-6 months after opening night I saw a video. I made a crappy cassette tape and listened to it all the time. Miles from HD videos hour after a show ends.

With or without the internet, they are still playing 12 warhorses per night. It s a fact.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Which isn't even half... But I think you missed the point, they wouldn't be labeled "warhorses" if you didn't know they played them every night.

Which isn't even half... But I think you missed the point, they wouldn't be labeled "warhorses" if you didn't know they played them every night.

I got the point. They are called so because they have been played over and over in the last 30 years. Internet or not doesn't t change a shit. If you had bought bootlegs in the 80 s and 90 s, you would know the setlist of the last 30 years should the Internet still not exist....

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

:up:

I said my piece about the general negativity earlier this week; I'm not going to go around browbeating people for having complaints.

I get the qualms about the back half of the setlist, and in another world I might be right there with the folks wanting to change it, but after being at four shows and seeing a whole arena of people go absolutely apeshit for each one of them, I ain't even mad. It was fucking glorious.

I mean, the songs that they do play constantly are really, really great songs.

It's amazing how this is lost in the shuffle.

I've heard some of these songs LIVE over 50x, I truly do not need to hear some of them ever again…but, at the end of the day, most if not all of them are fucking classics….and, yeah, bands play their classics.

You should have said something in Vancouver - I would have sung it for you. Repeatedly. And loudly.

I actually think it's quite easy to play warhorses and still create the illusion something rare may get played. The problem with U2's shows from, pretty much, ZooTv onwards is that the 'script' doesn't allow many opportunities for rotation of songs.
Lovetown Tour, great varied sets, different openers, throw in a curveball every now and then you have the illusion of a different set every night.

Which show would you rather see?

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
The Electric Co.
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World
Invisible
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
California
Sweetest Thing
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Hands That Built America/Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Beautiful Day
With Or Without You
City Of Blinding Lights
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Bullet The Blue Sky
I Will Follow
Iris
Two Hears Beat As One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Mysterious Ways
City Of Blinding Lights
California
Sweetest Thing
Every Breaking Wave
Beautiful Day
With Or Without You
Invisible
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
One

For people who follow the band, the Tour, the second show everytime. Straight from the start you know anything could happen, which increases the excitement surely?
There's only one song different, but the second set still goes down in folklore, warhorses and all. But the 'script' doesn't really allow the second show:)

can't please everyone...U2 plays all rarities, people complain...Play all the warhorses, people complain...

such is life......:doh:

I actually think it's quite easy to play warhorses and still create the illusion something rare may get played. The problem with U2's shows from, pretty much, ZooTv onwards is that the 'script' doesn't allow many opportunities for rotation of songs.
Lovetown Tour, great varied sets, different openers, throw in a curveball every now and then you have the illusion of a different set every night.

Which show would you rather see?

The Electric Co.
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Invisible
Mysterious Ways
California
Sweetest Thing
Every Breaking Wave
Bullet The Blue Sky
Beautiful Day
With Or Without You
City Of Blinding Lights
One

Bullet The Blue Sky
I Will Follow
Iris
Two Hears Beat As One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Mysterious Ways
City Of Blinding Lights
California
Sweetest Thing
Every Breaking Wave
Beautiful Day
With Or Without You
Invisible
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
One

For people who follow the band, the Tour, the second show everytime. Straight from the start you know anything could happen, which increases the excitement surely?
There's only one song different, but the second set still goes down in folklore, warhorses and all. But the 'script' doesn't really allow the second show:)

very valid point.:applaud:

Script vs. Mix

Excellent point, but throwing in Two Hearts Beat as One is cheating ;)

Although I think I'd catch the first show actually, even though I've seen Electric Co before at the Vertigo tour, it's just one of my favourite U2 songs ever

My favorite moment of the show last night was when they played Electric Co, a non-warhorse. I also loved hearing Sweetest Thing played again, as well as California's second performance. These are the songs I'll remember from the show because they stand out as unique and memorable. I can't deny that I would prefer to hear a set full of songs like that because, yes, my taste in U2 differs from a casual U2 fan. It's just the way it is.

Did I enjoy the warhorses? Of course I did. Well, for the most part. They sleepwalked a bit through WOWY and One. But Bullet, UTEOTW, Pride and Streets all sounded great. I love those songs and enjoyed hearing them again. The people around me seemed to as well. But I do miss the creatively sequenced encores that U2 used to put on. Recontextualize the hits as they did with UTEOTW and Bullet and they'll stay fresh and relevant. Force them into a pocket of HITZ and they'll feel that way.

the comments about sleepwalking is also part of the reason why it would benefit the band to rotate some of these songs... they HAVE to be tired of playing some of them.

Bullet is a great example... it was tired on Vertigo, so they gave it a full tour off and it's back with a vengeance this time around. Even Pride seems to have a renewed energy.

Streets is Streets and Streets will be good whenever they do it... but they have enough "warhorses" to cycle them in and out throughout the tour and still provide plenty of "hits" for the casual fan to not walk away disappointed because they played nothing but obscure tracks.

:shrug: whatever. dead horse / beaten

Recontextualize the hits as they did with UTEOTW and Bullet and they'll stay fresh and relevant. Force them into a pocket of HITZ and they'll feel that way.

Great post.

Changing a song itself (like Bullet on POPMART), or changing the context it's played in (like UTEOTW each tour) can be a significant key to freshening the balls of the ol' warhorse.

I believe UTEOTW has been played just shy of 5,673 times but we don't put it in the warhorse category because A. It's a full blown physical performance that changes each tour B. They seem to have fun playing it, which results in a kickass performance.

The usual warhorses could potentially step out of that territory if they'd change it up. You take WOWY, One, or Pride from any time since the early 90's and it's pretty much the same performance. Give them the treatment like Real Thing got on 360, and I'll be pumped.

What if they ninja mindfucked everybody and did a random setlist like this?

Elvis Presley And America
Another Day
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Out Of Control
Drowning Man
Get On Your Boots
One
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Raised By Wolves
I Fall Down

The Refugee
Fire
Holy Joe
Cedars Of Lebanon
Bullet The Blue Sky
In A Little While
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
Babyface
Mofo

Fast Cars
Always
Exit
Moment Of Surrender

What if they ninja mindfucked everybody and did a random setlist like this?

Elvis Presley And America
Another Day
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Out Of Control
Drowning Man
Get On Your Boots
One
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Raised By Wolves
I Fall Down

The Refugee
Fire