2015 U2 Tour - General Discussion Thread VI :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But didn't Vertigo go arenas/arenas/arenas/stadiums?

Nope. The only arena legs were in North America. Everywhere else was stadiums, including the leg in Europe; it went arenas/stadiums/arenas/stadiums/stadiums.

U2 have brought to Australia whatever they have done on their most recent European leg, basically.

I can't wait for the tour next year where they drop half the SOI songs and start their next greatest hits tour and then have people bitch that they did the same thing last tour. :corn:

True, they've been doing greatest hits shows since Elevation tour, but still. :wink: The bitchmoaning got louder in 2010 and 2011, which were, by Edge himself, stated as not supporting NLOTH tour but just them having fun. And they got bitched for not supporting NLOTH on those two legs. :lol: So I fully expect the same scenario playing out here.

I LOVED the songs from SOI. I could do without EBW, of course, but the rest of it? They were the highlights. The rest of the set I was a little disappointed with. But this was one of the first times I've seen U2 and thought, "YES! ALL THE NEW TRACKS. GIVE THEM TO ME."

It's not a greatest hits set right now so much as a greatest hits half a show. The sequencing is awful. They might as well throw on U218 after EBW and go home.

Not to say the performances aren't still good (I had a great time), but seriously, U2 have fucking nothing to prove in 2015 and don't need to tack on some half-assed festival encore as if they lost the crowd along the way (at my show, they didn't).

But no matter what it's still these greatest hits getting the biggest reactions, no matter where they where placed in the set people would still be moaning, if you don't like it now then simply walk away from the tour

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"Walk away from the tour" :lol: Get a fucking life, man. I loved my show. I'm a hardcore fan with legitimate complaints and lots of words of praise. Deal with it.

Last edited:
Plus as edge said just before the tour started in an interview, they are not catering for the "train spotters"

I hope they don't drop any SOI songs. I wish they would play 10 of them! At least that would steal a few spots from One, Pride, WOWY, etc.....

The new songs sound at least fresh and great! The warhorses sound more and more flat and without feelings from the band. I know the casual fans will like them all, but come on, compare those versions to 80's or 90's versions and then you'll understand the frustration of some people around here.

The only warhorse that still sound fresh hasn't been played this tour so far..... NYD!:sad:

Yep. I don't count UTEOTW as a warhorse.... maybe I should be to me it's not.

I know, it's still a song that has escaped me which I am pissed about , so where songs like out of control, angles of Harlem, when love comes to town, I would be gutted if I didn't to hear them

I love 90% of what U2 has done, but they clearly have lost their way as artists if they decide to play the other 10%

#Idon'twhineImoan

Plus as edge said just before the tour started in an interview, they are not catering for the "train spotters"

Would you shut up? You're descending to thavidesco levels of inane repetition and missing-the-point.

LM isn't saying they should do an encore of Rejoice/One Minute Warning/Rowena's Theme/I'm Not Your Baby.

He is saying that it would be cool if the final 30+ minutes of the show contained something that wasn't super-obvious, something that hasn't been played at almost every U2 show for the past twenty years. They have heaps of widely recognised content to fit that bill.

As it stands, the end of the set is "here's a song for those of you who've only heard us on the radio, now here's another, and another, and another, and another", rather than songs selected because they make brilliant thematic/sequential sense or do something really exciting and thought provoking. It's not as if, say, In God's Country or Love Is Blindness or Kite would meet with blank stares, given they are from albums that have sold tens of millions of copies.

Would you shut up? You're descending to thavidesco levels of inane repetition and missing-the-point.

LM isn't saying they should do an encore of Rejoice/One Minute Warning/Rowena's Theme/I'm Not Your Baby.

He is saying that it would be cool if the final 30+ minutes of the show contained something that wasn't super-obvious, something that hasn't been played at almost every U2 show for the past twenty years. They have heaps of widely recognised content to fit that bill.

As it stands, the end of the set is "here's a song for those of you who've only heard us on the radio, now here's another, and another, and another, and another", rather than songs selected because they make brilliant thematic/sequential sense or do something really exciting and thought provoking. It's not as if, say, In God's Country or Love Is Blindness or Kite would meet with blank stares, given they are from albums that have sold tens of millions of copies.

Fair play, I will shut up

I hope they don't drop any SOI songs. I wish they would play 10 of them! At least that would steal a few spots from One, Pride, WOWY, etc.....

The new songs sound at least fresh and great! The warhorses sound more and more flat and without feelings from the band. I know the casual fans will like them all, but come on, compare those versions to 80's or 90's versions and then you'll understand the frustration of some people around here.

The only warhorse that still sound fresh hasn't been played this tour so far..... NYD!:sad:

I agree about most of the warhorses. Based on Phoenix, warhorses that need a break:

-Beautiful Day (COBL could take the place of this)
-Mysterious Ways
-With Or Without You (they were really going thru the motions)

I thought Pride sounded really good from the last time I heard it which was Chicago 1 from 360.

I don't agree with this at all. I largely loved the show, but there were misses EBW was not great because of piano only, Raised by Wolves fits great thematically but is a weak live song to me (edge's guitar is so thin sounding, as cool as the intro is after SBS, it seems it just really misses after the first verse), and I am not sure there are many people who care about Song for Someone or would consider it indispensable.

The highlight of the show was the run of Bullet-Pride-BD-Bad-Wowoy. All warhorses, all awesome, all done very passionately, and all sounded great. That, even after 30+shows, as much as love and wanted a few more rarities, that was still U2 at their best. I know all the 80's and 90's versions, but being there hearing them, I am not thinking this version sucks compared to the one in r&h. I am thinking this is my favorite band playing the best songs ever written, and I may never see this again.

Now the encore, and specifically One and I Still HAven't... were atrocious and just going though the motions, and could use a huge revamp. COBL was pretty tired as well. I think all of those could be rotated.

I would be ecstatic, if they came back for the encore played 2-3 rarities, ended with streets and that was it. The only real complaint I had was the encore seems like an after thought, especially One is putrid right now.

I do agree they could take some more risks, but the 'all the warhorses are tired' argument holds no water for me. It's what just about everyone in the arena is there for, they know it, and they are not dropping them for volcano or reach.

I don't agree with this at all. I largely loved the show, but there were misses EBW was not great because of piano only, Raised by Wolves fits great thematically but is a weak live song to me (edge's guitar is so thin sounding, as cool as the intro is after SBS, it seems it just really misses after the first verse), and I am not sure there are many people who care about Song for Someone or would consider it indispensable.

The highlight of the show was the run of Bullet-Pride-BD-Bad-Wowoy. All warhorses, all awesome, all done very passionately, and all sounded great. That, even after 30+shows, as much as love and wanted a few more rarities, that was still U2 at their best. I know all the 80's and 90's versions, but being there hearing them, I am not thinking this version sucks compared to the one in r&h. I am thinking this is my favorite band playing the best songs ever written, and I may never see this again.

Now the encore, and specifically One and I Still HAven't... were atrocious and just going though the motions, and could use a huge revamp. COBL was pretty tired as well. I think all of those could be rotated, too.

I would be ecstatic, if they came back for the encore played 2-3 rarities, ended with streets and that was it. The only real complaint I had was the encore seems like an after thought, especially One is putrid right now.

I do agree they could take some more risks, but the 'all the warhorses are tired' argument holds no water for me. It's what just about everyone in the arena is there for, they know it, and they are dropping them for volcano or reach.

The problem is they didn´t choose the best songs off the new album for live performances. Volcano, California, Soldier, Wave full band. It would would break the roof of the building if they played those instead rather mid-tempo, clumsy Cedarwood or Single for No One. I bet it would work pretty well if they closed the show with Troubles in orchestra arrangement.

:drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
-Beautiful Day (COBL could take the place of this)
-Mysterious Ways
-With Or Without You (they were really going thru the motions)

With or Without You still has a place. It's a little through-the-motion-y but I think it still resonates well with the non-hardcore and the hardcore still enjoy doing the "woah"s.

Beautiful Day and Mysterious Ways could definitely take a break though.

Also, on the topic of dropping the SOI songs on the next leg: they'll likely be replaced by SOE. It's what they do with that last half of the setlist that separates from eh from amazing.

I've seen Vertigo shows with and without With or Without You, and I still think the show is better with it in there, even if it is the umpteenth time I've heard it.

This... thanks for posting ax :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom