You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fallon performance was better than I expected. They dropped it a semitone which did wonders for Bono's voice, although he was a bit husky! Adam looked very serious during the whole song!

https://youtu.be/jG2Qf-DIofk

Sounds great.. Far from a mess.. jesus folks, what does you want??

Bono wasn't jumping into the crowd or waving a white flag or talking about how they are here to fuck up the mainstream.

Th performance was fine, guess could say Bono's voice seemed a little off key at parts but thought the band sounded nice.

Yeah they didn't move around a lot but I think is obvious when U2 is nervous to perform....they stay still haha. That's because they are focused so hard on staying in time.

It took Adam about 25 years for him to ever walk away from Larry's drum kit, so with him being next to it tells me he's using Larry to help stay with the beat.

They'll be more free once they play it more.

Tho I will say I thought they went back to Steve L because they wanted to capture a live feel of these songs so you'd think the arrangement would be easier by now.

Bono wasn't jumping into the crowd or waving a white flag or talking about how they are here to fuck up the mainstream.

Th performance was fine, guess could say Bono's voice seemed a little off key at parts but thought the band sounded nice.

Yeah they didn't move around a lot but I think is obvious when U2 is nervous to perform....they stay still haha. That's because they are focused so hard on staying in time.

It took Adam about 25 years for him to ever walk away from Larry's drum kit, so with him being next to it tells me he's using Larry to help stay with the beat.

They'll be more free once they play it more.

Tho I will say I thought they went back to Steve L because they wanted to capture a live feel of these songs so you'd think the arrangement would be easier by now.

Absolutely agree :up:

That's how they are when playing stuff for the first time - and out of their comfort zone on a TV show rather than their own stage. I thought it was a really good performance.

On the basis of what we've heard so far, Adam is the current member of the band who is most "on fire". Loving his work.

Nice to hear Edge getting some up front mic time too.

What is it about this song that evokes a visceral recoil from u2 fans, while every non u2 person I have played it to really liked it? Said it was a happy song, and a mood lifter.

It's partially the fact that there is more goodwill right now, generally, towards U2 from non-fans (I'm guessing). They were so loathed (by many) due to the iTunes deposit...that public favor can only bounce back from there.

Further, America tends to gravitate towards the band in times of uncertainty/upheaval.

So, some of it has to do with goodwill, I think.

Also, maybe at this time in our history, people are more open to joyous expression.

We sure could use some right now. Does that sound corny?!

Just heard the new single. Been a fan since "Boy" was released. I'm absolutely baffled how a band with such great songs have come up with such horrendous singles these past three albums.

P.S. Just searched youtube and listened to the actual single (not the Fallon performance version), I still gotta say that it's sadly lacking. Like "Miracle of Joey Ramone" and "Get Off Your Boots" this new single will be forgotten as quickly as it was released. It just doesn't "have it". I really am scratching my head as I write. Why do they seem to always release garbage songs as their first singles?!?!? I just don't get it?

Last edited:
"punk Supremes"

:lol:

Maybe Adam and Larry declined to sit on the couch because they knew Bono would drop that line.

The man must be banned from ever saying the word "punk" in any context

Hearing Bono sing "...IF you're the best thing about me, why am I...why am I walking away" makes me a little mad that they didn't add that word in the final edit. It's great and makes such a difference in the build up to the 'walking away' bit.

:up:

It's 1:45 am, they're playing Bullet first -- I don't know why. It seems totally wrong for this happy talk show setting... not a great song to play for me in this setting.

You know football will run late. You do this for the viral clip the next day, but should have gone on Colbert to get a better time slot right? NFL lead doesn't work well when it's 2 hours later than it's supposed to be.

Why am I awake.

Agreed. Why on earth would you go on a show, and play a 30-year-old song before you play your new single? By the time they played the single it was 2 AM Eastern time. It was a very stupid decision.

However the song does sound much better live than in the studio recording.

Last edited:
Should see at least a small uptick in streams. Best Thing is on Spotify's "New Music Friday" playlist.

It's partially the fact that there is more goodwill right now, generally, towards U2 from non-fans (I'm guessing). They were so loathed (by many) due to the iTunes deposit...that public favor can only bounce back from there.

Further, America tends to gravitate towards the band in times of uncertainty/upheaval.

So, some of it has to do with goodwill, I think.

Also, maybe at this time in our history, people are more open to joyous expression.

We sure could use some right now. Does that sound corny?!

I think there's a big projection of fear or anxiety that U2 may be retiring soon.

Every public appearance is commented on how someone doesn't look happy (albeit Larry always looks miserable).

After last night we are analyzing why Adam gave a sigh. Why Bono crossed his arms. And no one moved.

While I'd love the band to go on forever I'm not worried about the end. I'm more critical of their producer choices and the waffling on releasing a damn album.

But let's try to cool the 'is the band ok???'

I think it's obvious Adam and Larry don't like interviews especially when Bono and Edge do the talking. So why even sit up there? Causal folk don't care about those two

I'm hopeful the band have a sound release strategy and they can get the hit they so desire.

Is it just me or do Bono and Edges voice really clash his clip? If ai am being honest and it sucks to say it that was pretty painful to watch/listen to. No I am not being a troll, just me honest opinion.

I wasn’t a big fan of California but compare The Best Thing from night to this...

https://youtu.be/taR_2WGflds

Bullet was good though.

Last edited:
I think it's obvious Adam and Larry don't like interviews especially when Bono and Edge do the talking. So why even sit up there? Causal folk don't care about those two

No Adam and Larry: "Where are they?! Why do they have to talk to the two biggest members all the time?!"

Adam and Larry: "Why don't they ever talk to Adam and Larry?! Why are they even sitting there if they're not asking them questions?!"

Oddly enough, I've already heard Adam being interviewed twice today on some radio stations via the Tune-In Radio app.

Agreed. Why on earth would you go on a show, and play a 30-year-old song before you play your new single? By the time they played the single it was 2 AM Eastern time. It was a very stupid decision.

It was probably their only realistic opportunity to get on The Tonight Show for the foreseeable future. They were already in NY after the Buffalo show, they had an off-day on the tour, and there happened to be an opening in the schedule on Fallon.

Also - I'm surprised it took me this long to figure this out - but anyone else realize the color of the single's cover art matches its subject (Cyan.... Sian)?

I didn't see or hear anything wrong with that performance. I think some are reading way too much into body language, glances, etc. They sounded fine for a tv gig and the DVR views & YouTube clips will generate a little more buzz for it. It definitely sounds better live and I like the "if you're the best.." lyric addition.

The song is catchy. It's actually a great song. U2 needs to get its footing for the live setting, like any other song for the most part.

As much as I love Pop, and granted they were under rehearsed, the songs became monsters live.

Now this song isn't going to be a LNOE, but when they get more comfortable it could be a great live song with a lot of room for improv or additions (extra chorus at end would be so nice)

However the song does sound much better live than in the studio recording.

I think they should have done TBT and Blackout personally. I think doing a 30 year old song just reminds people of how old they are and promo for this tour should be done.

That said, the band made the right decision on playing TBT last. You want that to be the song people go away with remembering . They had no idea they would get fucked by football and have it air at 2 in the morning

Hearing Bono sing "...IF you're the best thing about me, why am I...why am I walking away" makes me a little mad that they didn't add that word in the final edit. It's great and makes such a difference in the build up to the 'walking away' bit.

:up:

Bono is trolling Interference by adding that word to the song but not fixing the "happened a boy" part.

I liked the performance. It seemed pretty tight to me. Bono looked terribly old during the interview. Haircut and new glasses would shave off 5 to 10 years.
But he always comes alive performing.

Enjoyed it. Still loving the song.

I hate it when they play songs like Bullet on shows like Fallon. Robs the whole thing of its potency.

I feel the same when I see U2 cover bands play it, or especially SBS. The lyrical content is just so heavy that it just feels weird and inappropriate to play it at weddings, birthday parties, etc. And to have people who have no emotional investment in that song mimic those words feels off to me (no insult to cover bands intended).

I liked the performance. It seemed pretty tight to me. Bono looked terribly old during the interview. Haircut and new glasses would shave off 5 to 10 years.
But he always comes alive performing.

Enjoyed it. Still loving the song.

All of this. 100%. :applaud:

yeah Bono, please bring back the aviators from 2015. those were cool and modern. the Harry Potter glasses must go.

I am starting to like The Best Thing quite a lot.....can't help but fall for its charms, despite some awkward parts. I have two young kids and sometimes I am forced to listen to pop music in the car. I go from rolling my eyes and bearing it but then something clicks. I forget the title of the song but that Justin Timberlake tune "sunshine in my pocket" from some kids movie. I used to cringe when I heard it. Now I think its fun and infectious, especially when I see my boys dance to it. That's sort of the situation with The Best Thing. I found myself tapping the steering wheel this morning listening to it in the car. It gave me a little laugh.

Song sounded fine live. It was the 1st performance of it so give them a little break. Much better than Boots 1st performance!!

Edge seems to really enjoy this song. He looked really into it. And I think Adam was just concentrating. I even saw Larry call 'Adam' after the performance. Still work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom