You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This song is growing on me a lot more now. Gave it a 6/10 when I first heard it. Bumped up to a 7 now I think.

The live performance was good as well.

Live perfomance suffered a bit by raspy vocals and tuned a half step down in my opinion. But the studio version keeps growing on me, so joyous and catchy. Probably its "clumsiness" makes it even more attractive to me. A mess, but a fun mess...

If there's a chance they still can have a hit, this might be it

Last edited:
Tuning down a half step is alright, but it sounded kind of awkward for THT. Now, the new version of New Years Day is tuned a whole step down from the original album version. Ever since the War Tour it was a half step down, but now it's a whole step, and I find it distracting as fuck!

Also, I simply cannot get the melody of TBT out of my head. All day It's been there! Like it or not, that song is GO God Damned catchy that it just might become a hit after all. I can't even remember how Blackout goes!!!

Yeah, the tuning on NYD this tour makes it feel really off.

I mean, if that's what they need to do so Bono can sing it, I get it, that's cool. It's just not the same. (And that's the way it goes with an aging rock band.)

Listened to the live performance again... pretty solid, and the transitions are much better than the harsh cuts in the single version. That said it feels like it just needs a little more presence in both the verse and the chorus. Maybe a tempo bump would do the trick, I don't know.

So glad they went with the guitar/drum heavy mix of this song instead of the more 'produced' Star-Trek Soul Power version.

The alternate mix is WAY OVER PRODUCED...it's a nice song, but the more organic single mix is much more powerful...not so glossy and slick...and that's where U2 needs to be today.

Messy and sloppy are not bad things for this song...it's already a sappy sentiment (nothing wrong with that)...so making it 'rock' out a little is a good choice.

I'll Go Crazy=You're the Best Thing.... Both as bad and forgettable as each other. Zero depth and zero want to listen to either ever again.

Sales just aren't as important a metric anymore and by releasing it on a Wednesday they allowed more attention on it instead of competing with other songs being released on Friday. There was no major competition on the 6th whereas today Sam Smith's new song is getting a ton of buzz (and already has more Spotify streams and is currently #1 on iTunes vs. U2's #16 position).

Alan Cross has posited this is why it was released on a Wednesday instead of the now typical Friday:

Source: A Journal of Musical ThingsSome Thoughts Ahead of Wednesday's Release of a New U2 Single-And a Lost Opportunity - A Journal of Musical Things

Sales aren't so much but streams definitely are.

I'll Go Crazy=You're the Best Thing.... Both as bad and forgettable as each other. Zero depth and zero want to listen to either ever again.

I actually find Crazy Tonight to be a good bit more interesting than TBT.

The lyric video is very cool.
I agree. I will stray from the crowd here - I thoroughly enjoy this song. I think it's their best single since Beautiful Day. I won't be surprised if it has success (whatever that looks like these days in music).

Like you, I REALLY enjoy the lyric video. Most of the songs I watch/listen to on youtube are the lyric ones - so making that interesting and engaging is a great move. (and the quick shot of "The Fly" - great touch!)

Some here have mentioned that this song feels like a medley - like 3 or 4 songs mixed into one. You see, that is what I love about this song! That's what gives it legs and staying power! It makes it dynamic....

The lyrics are decent...with Bono these days, I'm just hoping he doesn't mention the scent of babies heads and cockatoos...so, as far as that goes, I think the lyrics flow and certainly match the timing of the song...(and Bono sounds amazing!)

I think they may have an actual hit here...

Last edited:
So glad they went with the guitar/drum heavy mix of this song instead of the more 'produced' Star-Trek Soul Power version.

The alternate mix is WAY OVER PRODUCED...it's a nice song, but the more organic single mix is much more powerful...not so glossy and slick...and that's where U2 needs to be today.

Messy and sloppy are not bad things for this song...it's already a sappy sentiment (nothing wrong with that)...so making it 'rock' out a little is a good choice.

I agree 100 percent with what you said here...

My wife, a 'casual' U2 fan at best, says she truly loves it and can't get it out of her head...
Honestly, I'm quite enjoying it. I've started sub consciously accepting the jarring meshing of chorus to verse etc is deliberately artistic. It probably isnt, but my positivity for the song is gnawing at my cynicism!

Well, for me as well. It took a while....but the code is cracked now.
It's deeper and more complex than it appears at first glance.
Absolutely love it now!!!

I can see it all so clearly
I can see what you can't see
I can see you love her loudly
When she needs you quietly

Mr. The Edge

Well, for me as well. It took a while....but the code is cracked now.
It's deeper and more complex than it appears at first glance.
Absolutely love it now!!!

I can see it all so clearly
I can see what you can't see
I can see you love her loudly
When she needs you quietly

Mr. The Edge
I am not a huge fan of the song yet, think blackout and LTTGYA are better, but that Edge bit you quoted seems to me to be the best u2 moment in ages

Hi there - it was played a 1/2 step lower (F) than the album version (F#, or Gb). This has always been typical of U2, going back to the early 80s,

KaL
I don't think it's typical of them to live debut a song tuned down, although Bono probably wants to save his voice as much as possible now days.

...I've started sub consciously accepting the jarring meshing of chorus to verse etc is deliberately artistic. It probably isnt, but my positivity for the song is gnawing at my cynicism!

LOL. my thoughts exactly. Then again, great and lasting art is where talent meets accident...

To me, that disjointed lift into the chorus...gets a little ethereal...and then the return of the drums...wow! Genius. Accidental or purposeful....it matters not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom