You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inference is illness, but I suppose we may not know? They aren't exactly forthcoming. It sort of puts album delays in a different light now. And as I mentioned before, lyrics to this song ("why am I walking away")

This is from Edge on a Spanish radio show. Do you think Bono had a real health scare recently?

"Yes, this song is very good.We began to devise a melody, I composed a piece of music that has certain influences of the joy that has Motown music.Because for us the most important thing to resist in life is joy and positivism.Bono was writing the lyrics and his life went through a very important personal challenge.He was not sure how long he was going to stay between us.It was quite serious, so many of our lyrics are personal messages to important people in your life.This was a song for his dear Ali.These are pretty tough personal issues.And that's the power of the song.This song is beautiful and cheerful and with a very magical and very emotional lyrics. "
Amen

No but maybe he saw the phrasing in reading Rilke in translation or something. Or some German fan or whoever told him how German grammar works, and he ran with it. I'm not sure but it doesn't sound implausible to me :)

:lol:

You're reaching so far I'm worried you'll dislocate your shoulder.

Anyone else feel that this song is perhaps an ode to the Relationship between the band and the fans?

If you don't like the song try a large room and turn up the volume in your speakers. Worked for me!

Nah, I don't need to force myself to like the song.

If you have to get the right acoustic environment, perch on one leg, try to drink from the wrong side of the glass, and wiggle your ears to suddenly appreciate the song, it's not very good.

If this weren't by a band I liked, I doubt I would've even finished my first listen. I've given it five chances. That's more than adequate to know it's not getting any better.

Nah, I don't need to force myself to like the song.

If you have to get the right acoustic environment, perch on one leg, try to drink from the wrong side of the glass, and wiggle your ears to suddenly appreciate the song, it's not very good.

If this weren't by a band I liked, I doubt I would've even finished my first listen. I've given it five chances. That's more than adequate to know it's not getting any better.

To each their own Axver. We all have different tastes I guess.

What about it is good though? It makes no sense, and isn't just tautology, or a mis-interpreted phrase like we've seen in the past ("ATM machine", "get on your boots") it actually makes NO grammatical sense, and was easy to fix.

Just say "and, boy". I'm curious to know what is possibly redeeming about that butchery?

I said this when the kygo vid came out last year and he flashed the lyrics on his screen. It's a line that just doesn't make sense...literally.

I joke about the name rhyming in Blackout but I really like the song and they don't bother me. This line however is just....odd and awkward.

All the following work:

To ever happen to a boy
To ever happen and boy
To ever happen to boys
To ever happen to Roy ;)

Anyone else feel that this song is perhaps an ode to the Relationship between the band and the fans?

If it weren't for both Bono and Edge saying it was about Ali, I could see that interpretation.

Maybe it really was written about that, but then Bono forgot Ali's birthday again...

I can't remember which interview it was, but it sounded like Bono counted the bike crash as a different scare from whatever this is. Might have been the one on Dutch radio.
Yeah, it was during the Dutch interview where Bono said he had a couple of scares SINCE his bike crash that had him thinking about his own mortality.

If it weren't for both Bono and Edge saying it was about Ali, I could see that interpretation.

Maybe it really was written about that, but then Bono forgot Ali's birthday again...

Hadn't heard this.

Thanks!

Polarizing = Powerful.

Say what you will but the sheer fact that this lyric has people talking has meaning in and of itself.

Ever notice how the youtube videos with the most hits are riddled with disagreement in the comments?

Say what you will but the sheer fact that this lyric has people talking has meaning in and of itself.

They're talking, but for the wrong reasons.

An unusual play on words that led to a surprising and different meaning would be great. The problem is there's no explanation for the wording other than laziness. Bono didn't want to come up with a better line so he just dropped a word. And it's in the chorus, of all places.

I see it working well being about Ali
And theme of experience
How she is the best thing about him, but he's to stupid to honor and see that fully. He's either walking away and destroying it, or as a compensation being too loud about it.
That's why I see edges verse working great here - as his friend he's telling him that there are problems in his actions, in his position towards Ali, who is just perfect for him. He tells him that he loves her loudly (writing songs for her for all the world to hear), while she wants him by her side, to just be with her without publicity and being loud about it for others.

Well....at this moment that's how I see it [emoji5]

I really don't want to get too deep in this whole lyric thing, seems silly.

But obviously it wasn't just an oversight, we know he's been singing it this way over a year.

What if he's just having fun with a local colloquialism?

My ex's family were "off the boat" Irish, and the older men(especially), that's how they would talk.

You would hear them say, "that's the worst thing to happen a fella".

I really don't want to get too deep in this whole lyric thing, seems silly.

But obviously it wasn't just an oversight, we know he's been singing it this way over a year.

What if he's just having fun with a local colloquialism?

My ex's family were "off the boat" Irish, and the older men(especially), that's how they would talk.

You would hear them say, "that's the worst thing to happen a fella".

This. And if you watch the lyrical video, he also uses "I" for "I've" (I been crying out). Language is arbitrary people. These are just English dialect variations.

It has grown on me a tad.... Still dont like the chorus bits, which sucks because I like the melody just not the production.... Why turn Larry down.... his drum sound with Adam are the best thing about this song. And that middle eight with Edge singing is pretty meh.

Excited to see it live on Fallon though I think it will be waaaaay better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom