Would you rather U2 just go back to the studio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Given the problems with the tour, Edge's baby girl and all, and the ticket fiasco etc.

Would U2 be better off to go back to the studio and cancel the tour?

I mean, sure there are thousands, if not millions wanting to see them tour and everyone knows the band are intending on doing so, but would it be easier for them to just cancel it and go record another album?

I'd rather see them go back and start recording then to have to cancel the thing half-way through or whatever.

I guess the logic being, if they are recording in Dublin, Edge could go back and forth with ease, as far as being there for his daughter and all.

Well, in light of more serious issues like leukemia or other illnesses it may seem trite to even ask, but I know even Edge wants to give something to the fans, maybe it would be easier for them to just record another album, any thoughts?

U2DMfan said:
Given the problems with the tour, Edge's baby girl and all, and the ticket fiasco etc.

Would U2 be better off to go back to the studio and cancel the tour?

I mean, sure there are thousands, if not millions wanting to see them tour and everyone knows the band are intending on doing so, but would it be easier for them to just cancel it and go record another album?

I'd rather see them go back and start recording then to have to cancel the thing half-way through or whatever.

I guess the logic being, if they are recording in Dublin, Edge could go back and forth with ease, as far as being there for his daughter and all.

Well, in light of more serious issues like leukemia or other illnesses it may seem trite to even ask, but I know even Edge wants to give something to the fans, maybe it would be easier for them to just record another album, any thoughts?
maybe this is actually what edge wants? i dunno his way of dealing with things? and maybe just maybe things arent actually as bad as we all think, hence the fact that both edge and his wife were at the awards last night, well i hope to god that its not as bad as we think

If going back to the studio were more convenient for them, and gave us another Zooropa, that'd be fine. But, the last time the band was stuck in the studio with no new songs to record, they almost broke up.

Er, but then we got Achtung baby :wink:

Hmm. I'd like to see them tour. Seeing as I have tickets and all. But if they had to cancel it, I would understand.

No I would like to see them either cancel the tour till they can play it or play it now. The new album will be excellent live I am sure of that.

Yeah I would and try to make some CHALLENGING music!:wink: Anyway I ain't got tickets so I wouldn't miss the tour then! hehehe

solar said:
If they can´t do the tour, how are they going to record another album?!?

Easy - they drive to their Dublin studio and record one.

I actually think it's a good idea. And I HAVE a ticket. I'm not giving it up, so don't ask, but given all the problems with this tour, so far, and the personal issues going on with the band, I would rather see them go record some more material and be able to put more effort into a concert tour in a year or two than see them tour halfheartedly.

The whole reason the tour was re-routed to start on the West Coast was to accomodate Edge, who has his US home in Malibu. He will be able to stay at home for most nights in the next 2 1/2 months, as U2 will undoubtedly rehearse for the tour in L.A. and are using L.A. as a hub city until they have to leave for Chicago.

Consider also that by being in L.A., the Evans family has at their disposal some of the very best hospitals in the world, such as Cedar's Sinai, so Sian will arguably have better medical treatment at her disposal than if she was in Dublin. Considering she would have been about 3 when Edge bought the Malibu home, she will have already spent a lot of her lifetime in this home, so she will feel very comfortable in these surroundings. The warm Southern California climate is a better location to recover in versus the cold winter in Dublin, as well. Also, Edge is entirely ignored by the US tabloids and paparazzi in L.A., unlike what his family have been running into in Dublin.

Also of note, one of the premier leukemia hospitals in the world is the Fred Hutchinson Center in Seattle, only a 2 hour flight away from L.A. The famous tenor Jose Carreras underwent treatment at this center, rather than go to a hospital in his native Spain or elsewhere in Europe.

all medical conditions aside...

I wouldn't mind them staying home and making another album. They should put out an album every two years. lol

they should take care of themselves and their families, whatever it takes. if edge's daughter is that ill (children with leukemia can be unbelievably sick, and the cure is often worse than the disease), they should sack the tour and he should be with his family - NOTHING is more important than that.
we'll be fine, and screw the promoters.
if they need to tour for whatever reason, keep it short, close to home and film it all. i'd love another slane dvd.:drool:

Last edited:
If Edge is dealing with family issues, then making an album would be just as hard/ difficult as a tour, I'd imagine. I was hoping that the huge gaps in time, in between cities, on the first leg was U2 working on material (alah REM and New Adventures in Hi Fi), but sadly, that might not be the case.

Last edited:
I'd like for them to go on tour, so we can see them live, and then have a great DVD made for it. They were so pumped about playing the Atomic Bomb songs live when the album was released. After all, they kept the tour going even after Bono's father died.

Staying home and recording an album would help no one, he'd still be away from his family just as much plus I don't think we'd get a great album out of them. U2's one of those bands that needs the tour to refresh work out some of the just released songs and figure out where they'd go from there.

U2 need to tour. Once they actually get out on the road, they'll enjoy themselves more, I think. Getting up and performing in front of crowds of fans will be a very positive thing, whereas just staying home and *trying* to record an album would probably be very frustrating. They can't really start working on another album without a tour in between albums, anyway.

verte76 said:
U2 need to tour. Once they actually get out on the road, they'll enjoy themselves more, I think. Getting up and performing in front of crowds of fans will be a very positive thing, whereas just staying home and *trying* to record an album would probably be very frustrating. They can't really start working on another album without a tour in between albums, anyway.

they could take the year off....do some dates next year..and then record.

I'm starting to think they shouldn't tour

I have a question for you my friends :

Why any band MUST tour a new album ? :eyebrow: it´s just about money ! shameful, really:( :ohmy:

how come they can´t realise fans simply don´t like, or at least, have mixed feelings with 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'. I mean, it´s so simple: www.amazon.com, www.cduniverse.com, etc and that´s all !!.:yes: Most of the opinions are 'Mainstream', 'playing it safe once again', 'overhyped', 'too much of the same thing', 'ATYCLB 2', etc, etc.

Both songwriting and Bono´s voice are getting worse, but they don´t care about that. They just want more and even more cash. If I were them, I wouldn´t tour a bad rated album, that´s obvious !. Fans voice is clear !.

I remember 2 great examples: The Beatles and Queen.

The Beatles stopped touring by 1966... after that they released their most acclaimed albums ever: Sgt Pepper ( 1967 ), The Whitle album ( 1968 ) and Abbey Road ( 1969 ). They never performed to promote that albums ! :laugh: :up:

Queen released their last album Innuendo ( 1991 ) without a tour, and it was TRULY their second-third masterpiece both by critics and fans, without all that awful overhype U2 have been using with 'How To Dismantle'. :up:

My question is...

WHY U2 CAN´T DO THAT ? :sad:

I hope you won´t killing me this time, I just want them to improve as ARTISTS, so please :sad:

They're gown men that have already been through their share of difficulties. I trust whatever decisions they've made. Since they've already gone through so much trouble to keep the tour on, I'm sure they're all OK with it. I'm quite looking forward to seeing them twice in Chicago...

ponkine said:

Why any band MUST tour a new album ? :eyebrow: it´s just about money ! shameful, really:( :ohmy:

How about because they like the new songs they wrote and they want to perform them live for their fans? How about because they are excited about their music? Or maybe they like being on the road, and meeting new fans. Or maybe, as Larry said, "Live is where we live" and, wonder of wonders, U2 actually *likes* touring?

Why does every thread in this forum have to degenerate into complaints about money and greed?? :mad:

I am 100% with Miss Becky. There's got to be always someone to throw the band down, with a statement or something that only makes sense in their mind. For God's sake! You don't know what is like to have a band. Two years ago I joined into a band too and I can assure that to perform our material and share it to the people is the best gift that we can have...

Ponkine, I cannot see how wanting tour equates to greed. Its like miss becky said, they put out a record and since they're the best live act in the world it only makes sense that they should perform them live, whenever that may be. Honestly if they decided not to tour at all there would be fans complaing about how they're "greedy" because they didn't want to tour. It seems like at this point in time U2 are damned no matter what the hell they do, and I feel sorry for them.

I don't buy the arguement that U2 can't record music while family members have needs to be heeded. Anyone know how a song first originates? DEMO recordings. 4 track a bunch of ideas late at night etc, it can definitely happen. But back to the matter at hand; I think U2 should do whatever is in the best interests of Paul Hewson and family, Dave Evans and family, Larry Mullen Jr. and family and Adam Clayton and family.

Last edited:
ponkine said:

how come they can´t realise fans simply don´t like, or at least, have mixed feelings with 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb'. I mean, it´s so simple: www.amazon.com, www.cduniverse.com, etc and that´s all !!.:yes: Most of the opinions are 'Mainstream', 'playing it safe once again', 'overhyped', 'too much of the same thing', 'ATYCLB 2', etc, etc.

Both songwriting and Bono´s voice are getting worse, but they don´t care about that. They just want more and even more cash. If I were them, I wouldn´t tour a bad rated album, that´s obvious !. Fans voice is clear !.

I remember 2 great examples: The Beatles and Queen.

The Beatles stopped touring by 1966... after that they released their most acclaimed albums ever: Sgt Pepper ( 1967 ), The Whitle album ( 1968 ) and Abbey Road ( 1969 ). They never performed to promote that albums ! :laugh: :up:

Queen released their last album Innuendo ( 1991 ) without a tour, and it was TRULY their second-third masterpiece both by critics and fans, without all that awful overhype U2 have been using with 'How To Dismantle'. :up:

My question is...

WHY U2 CAN´T DO THAT ? :sad:

I hope you won´t killing me this time, I just want them to improve as ARTISTS, so please :sad:

:down: worst post ever.

Ponkine,

Your whole post is full of horse s:censored:t, quite honestly....You bitch and moan about greedy U2 is. I don't see how U2 is greedy! It completely baffles my mind the ignorance of people. If they don't tour, people get pissed. If they don't do things to your liking, people get pissed. I am so sick and tired of this bullsh*t. They can make albums and do whatever the hell they want but you don't have to buy it. You don't have to listen to it. You certainly don't have to be here and bash U2. Of course you are allowed to have your opinion but for gods sakes, not every godforsaken album is going to be War or Achtung Baby. Change is good. If you don't like it then don't listen to it!

Do you want to talk about greed? Look at some of the stupid CEO's of the companies out there. They are screwing decent people with their blown up paychecks, frauding people, etc and ruining the company while their at it.

I could go on and on...I'm tired and I'm rambling. I don't even know why I responded to you. But to sum it up I think you are a complete idiot.:mad: :mad: :mad:

MrBrau1 said:

:down: worst post ever.

It definitely takes the prize for the most insensitive, stupid, and worst post in the most poor taste ever.

Ponkine, if you believe a word you wrote, go admit yourself to an asylum now. You need help.

Just because somebody dislikes the new album or the band's new style doesn't make it the worst post ever. It is an OPINION. All you have to say is that you don't agree or don't respond. While I don't see the touring = greed logic, I agree with Ponkine that amazon.com speaks for itself. Now I know there are many U2 bashers out there who don't review the albums objectively but if you take a closer look, there are many long time fans writing reviews who're just fed up with the lack of creativity since Pop. And rightfully so. Granted, I prefer U2's new direction to most of the top 40 stuff out there like 50 Cent or Britney. But it is far beneath anything upto Pop.

U2 R.I.P. 1980 - 1997

i totally agree with arun V
come back from outer space people.
if u2 were to skip a tour, it would have nothing to do with a lack of love for the fans or live music or anything. they're a kickass rock band, and a kickass live band, and of course the new songs would sound great (everyone who hasn't
heard it check the live in studio shit from 11/16/04!). if they were to skip a tour it's because a family member has a potentially terminal illness. and that should be fine with us.
i can't believe for a minute that playing night after night in front of strangers would trump being next to a loved one in need. to suppose that would fix everything suggests egotism, not heart. the tour is for us, not the edge. count your blessings.:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom