Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think....all in all...i would say GOYB is the weakest link in the u2 cannon. I think it suffers in the same wy...but to a greater extent, as some of the songs on bomb, in that they are over engineered. I prefer the rougher cuts of songs, like we had in the fan club Rareities disc. All of Bombs songs, in their earlier guises sound better than they do on the album

All of Bombs songs, in their earlier guises sound better than they do on the album

I would have loved it if they'd stuck with the idea for Atomic Bomb to be a 'four guys in a room' rock album. Those alternate versions aren't "it", but they were on the way.

I just skimmed the thread but I'm surprised no one mentioned "Trying to Throw your arms around the world" (assuming they didn't.) Skipping that one makes AB much better.

But EP and America from UF is my choice.

I just skimmed the thread but I'm surprised no one mentioned "Trying to Throw your arms around the world" (assuming they didn't.) Skipping that one makes AB much better.

I do not agree with TTTYAATW. While it's not the best song of AB, I still like it and I don't think it's one of the worst songs.

I do however agree with EP and America. I never really liked the song.

Earnie Shavers, :up:, just all the time, man.

i'd START a war to defend Tryin' to Throw...'s place on AB. brilliant song, and very important in the context of the album, it being the last glimpse of light before your get left bloodied and bruised at the end of a dark tunnel in Berlin.

I like both.

I like every song of AB except 'Love is Blindness'
In a parked car
In a crowded street
You see your love
Made complete
Thread is ripping
The knot is slipping
..... It's Pointless !

Or maybe you just don't get it?

I do get the Point of the song. And I think it's about some kind of misguided love. But the lyrics are just too lame and they take you on a camel ride to absolutely nowhere.
Love is clockworks and cold steel, fingers too numb to feel. is an example of "rhyming lyrics = lazy"

And the last part of the song is seems out of rhythm.

I do get the Point of the song. And I think it's about some kind of misguided love. But the lyrics are just too lame and they take you on a camel ride to absolutely nowhere.
Love is clockworks and cold steel, fingers too numb to feel. is an example of "rhyming lyrics = lazy"

It's a beautiful lyric with a great double meaning... at face value it looks like a song about love and underneath it's a song about terrorism in Ireland.

I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone that would agree with your assesment of it being lazy, pointless, lame, or going nowhere.

But that's the beauty of opinions.:shrug:

I don't get Trying to Throw.. Its a throwaway song about nothing in a sea of brillance. The songs around it (The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Light My Way, Acrobat and yes, LIB) are brillant. I could listen to them 100 times and find something new in the music and I could write papers on the lyrics.

While Trying to Throw (to me) means nothing, says nothing, and quotes one of my least favorite people (Gloria Steinem- the fish thing.) It has a mundane, cliched chorus ("I'm going to run to you, run to you" BORING!) and seems to be about the morning after a drunk. I expect better from Bono.

But EP and America almost ruined UF for me so it still gets my vote.

Well I think what makes Tryin To Throw my least favorite on the AB album is that it sounds like a b-side to the brilliant So Cruel (to me anyways). It has a similar rhythm to it and I dunno, it's not a particularly horrible song or anything but it's not great stuff either imo.

I don't get Trying to Throw.. Its a throwaway song about nothing in a sea of brillance. The songs around it (The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Light My Way, Acrobat and yes, LIB) are brillant. I could listen to them 100 times and find something new in the music and I could write papers on the lyrics.

While Trying to Throw (to me) means nothing, says nothing, and quotes one of my least favorite people (Gloria Steinem- the fish thing.) It has a mundane, cliched chorus ("I'm going to run to you, run to you" BORING!) and seems to be about the morning after a drunk. I expect better from Bono.
It's the weakest song on AB, but it's weakest song is still a great song that many artist would have loved to have written... love this song.

I know I stand in the minority with this, but I :heart: this song, I find it very haunting.

Well I think what makes Tryin To Throw my least favorite on the AB album is that it sounds like a b-side to the brilliant So Cruel (to me anyways). It has a similar rhythm to it and I dunno, it's not a particularly horrible song or anything but it's not great stuff either imo.

Agreed that it's not bad, yet not too brilliant either. When I listen to AB Tryin' to throw is the one song I usually skip after a few times. It's a fun song for a while, but it's nothing compared to the other songs on that album.

Tryin' to Throw isn't some genius song, but in the context of the album, both thematically and just as a complete end to end experience, it's essential. I'd make a larger case for it but I don't have the strength at the moment due to the knockout one-two punch I just received via reading Love is Blindness named in this thread AND named specificaly due to it's lyrics.

I like both.

I like every song of AB except 'Love is Blindness'
In a parked car
In a crowded street
You see your love
Made complete
Thread is ripping
The knot is slipping..... It's Pointless !

i'm sorry, but this is by far the worst "opinion" i have ever seen on this forum.

have a lovely day :)

I can safely say that no part of LIB is out of rhythm. And it's a fuckin' eerie song with brilliant lyrics.

What she said! :up: LIB is fucking amazing! Lyrically its brilliant and most certainly not lazy. What's with you people and rhyming lyrics = lazy? It is actually quite difficult to rhyme and have the song make sense.

Tr'n to throw... goes really well with the feel of the album.

LiB may be a great song but i just can't force myself to like it. But AB remains my favorite album, with or without LiB. For me the album ends with acrobat.

My fav. Led Zeppelin album is Physical Graffiti. And just like in AB, i love every song except "Down By The Seaside". I feel it's a totally idiotic song. And when I try to justify my point, I look like a bigger idiot myself.

As far as EP n A is concerned, it's my favorite one from UF. For me, it even surpasses Bad, although the live version of Bad is one of my all time favorites.
Wire is the sulkiest track on UF.

What she said! :up: LIB is fucking amazing! Lyrically its brilliant and most certainly not lazy. What's with you people and rhyming lyrics = lazy? It is actually quite difficult to rhyme and have the song make sense.

This!

Criticism of LIB for its lyrics and singling it out in general for "worst song" candidate is quite possibly the most out there thing I've ever read in this forum.

LIB on the Zoo TV Sydney DVD never fails to send chills up my spine.

The mood, the atmosphere, the emotion, the epic Edge solo.....the way Bono sings it with so much honesty and pleading.......

Everything about this song is brilliant.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom