Worst Song U2 has written?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
None whatsoever, which is exactly my point.

I think you've already clarified that. What I'm interested in is not your rehashing your opinion, but rather your explaining -- in the best terms you can -- why you loathe this particular song so much. I'm quite interested, because, as I said, a lot of people here hate that song, but I don't understand why. I don't really find anything "hate-able" about it.

okay professor. everything about the song sucks. the stupid kaleidoscope little kiddie ding dong whatever it is throughout the song. the cheestacular lyrics. tin foil hair? the "bum bum bum bum bum bum bum" background singing towards the end, the harmony of the singing doesn't work, it sounds like something an 80's pop band would have done and i wish somebody would have had the sense to throw the song into the garbage the way they almost did with streets.

okay professor. everything about the song sucks. the stupid kaleidoscope little kiddie ding dong whatever it is throughout the song. the cheestacular lyrics. tin foil hair? the "bum bum bum bum bum bum bum" background singing towards the end, the harmony of the singing doesn't work, it sounds like something an 80's pop band would have done and i wish somebody would have had the sense to throw the song into the garbage the way they almost did with streets.

well this does not answer the question at all. what an unintelligible pile of garbage you have just written.

nipples

Don't really see the need for sarcasm. Imagine if I wrote two or three posts in which I reiterated how much I hate the color orange. I'm sure it would be thrilling.

Know why I hate orange? 'Cause it sucks!!

Pretty helpful post, eh?

images

Last time I said I always skip If You Wear That Velvet Dress, but no more. :rolleyes: I'm liking it now. It's just different from the rest of the album in my opinion.

I said I don't like Elvis Presley and America, New York and Grace. I'd like to add a new song to the list: The First Time.It's a bit more bearable, but it's a bit too repetitive IMO.

On a side note, I really like the song Babyface.

Yes, I agree. Grace is horrible too. I don't know why, but I actually get sick to my stomach and have to hit the forward button immediately when it comes on!

I love Grace! Was just singing to myself about 10 minutes ago actually. Gorgeous little song. I'll trade you my Discotheque for your Grace if you like?

It seems that Grace is hated by atleast 70% of the people on this board. I never understood the loathing of this simple soothing little ambient tune. Maybe it's not the greatest song, but come on, what about it is so descipable? The lyrics? So there's some clumsy lines, what U2 song post-2000 doesn't have clumsy lyrics?

If BOMB and NLOTH were never released, then I could understand why some would feel this is one of the band's lesser moments. And I'd prob agree. But when you have musical abortions like COBL, Yahweh, SYCMIOYO, SUC, AMAAW... I don't see how Grace still somehow gets the shite award. At least GRACE just kinda whispers by with class while songs like COBL, Yahweh and SUC scream obnoxiously into your ear about how profound they think they are.

Yea, I know, it's music. It's subjective.

It seems every 3 months or so I end up defending Grace in some thread.

I think you nailed it, Grace has a subtlety to it that more recent songs have lacked, like their message is delivered with a club as opposed to how you described Grace, like a "whisper".

I'm sure there are some stats from one of the bajillion U2:Survivor lists or whatever, but I'd challenge that assumption that 70% of people here hate Grace. My son's elementary coach named his daughter after the song, and you should see this guy. (6"5 or so, gotta be 300 lbs or so, the guy's not a pansy, that's for sure ;)). When he first brought her to the school in the back of my mind I knew he was a huge U2 fan but when I asked "Why 'Grace'" he looked horrified that I wouldn't have made the connection to the U2 song. :lol:

I'm sure glad you specified that he wasn't a pansy, because otherwise I totally would have thought "God, what a pansy."

People on here not liking "The Wanderer"!:doh:

That and "Stay" are the best songs on the album.

Thinking 'bout it:
"Red Light" - yes it's the worst song on "War", don't know if worst ever.
"Jersulem" - going nowhere slowly and probably my least favourite.
"Pop" - This is a topic for another thread, but I can't enjoy this album purely because the band warble on at length in "U2 by U2" about how unfinished it is. That's not to say it's bad and thus I can't honestly rate any of the songs as bad. But inevitably, isn't every album not as good as it potentially could've been, otherwise why keep going once you've found perfection??!

Sorry - back on topic!
"Elvis Presley" is frankly too weird to even regard as a song.
ISHFWILF - maybe Miss Familiarity and Mr Contempt are having a baby here, as of course it was A: A single and B: Huge but my least favourite of JT - Trip is average, but better than this. 'Though the live version in Auckland 26/11 was the best I've heard.

It seems that Grace is hated by atleast 70% of the people on this board. I never understood the loathing of this simple soothing little ambient tune. Maybe it's not the greatest song, but come on, what about it is so descipable? The lyrics? So there's some clumsy lines, what U2 song post-2000 doesn't have clumsy lyrics?

If BOMB and NLOTH were never released, then I could understand why some would feel this is one of the band's lesser moments. And I'd prob agree. But when you have musical abortions like COBL, Yahweh, SYCMIOYO, SUC, AMAAW... I don't see how Grace still somehow gets the shite award. At least GRACE just kinda whispers by with class while songs like COBL, Yahweh and SUC scream obnoxiously into your ear about how profound they think they are.

Yea, I know, it's music. It's subjective.

It seems every 3 months or so I end up defending Grace in some thread.

Stylistically, they nailed it. I think it's Bono's lyrics + delivery. I would also disagree about it being subtle. It's absolutely direct and Bono almost panders (is that the right word?) those lines right out. What I mean is, he sounds as if he's talking to a child.

That song is a pile. JMO brotha.

People on here not liking "The Wanderer"!:doh:

That and "Stay" are the best songs on the album.

If you mean by "best songs on the album" that Lemon and Zooropa and Dirty Day and perhaps a few more aren't considered "songs" then yeah, maybe.

Really though, Lemon owns the universe. Just sayin...;)

Alright its gonna be a blow, but the worst U2 song i reckon is Elevation. Dont get me wrong Elevation live is a crowd thriller and gets the crowd going, but the studio version is poor. Its the one song i have to skip when it comes on my ipod, i dont know what it is either maybe just the lyrics are abit mad haha. But the guitar riff is cool so its a shame about the lyrics.

whats with the, moles diggin holes smokin cigars and playing guitars, haha.

Nah am joking, what a song. :hyper:

Ok, what the hell is the deal with all the Red Light hate? I LOVE that song. Including the horns. It's so friggin' atmospheric. Bono singing "love" 27163216 times does not make a song bad. And Miami rulez.

There are some songs that U2 has recorded knowing full well they are kind of throwaway. Much as I dislike Elevation, I don't hate it because it's a lighthearted song. Ditto for Wild Honey and Playboy Mansion.

I guess the question is, can you separate the lyrics from the music. There are plenty of U2 songs where the music is absolutely brilliant but certain lyrics induce gigantic cringes. Grace and Electrical Storm (truck, luck), Cedars are examples.

To me, All Because of You is up there. The main melody is just so clunky and awful. Stand Up Comedy is also up there. It's white-boy blues in the worst possible way, although I enjoy some Edge riffs in there as well (not the main one, though...so lazy). Crumbs From Your Table is U2 at its laziest and hurts bad too. A shameless re-hash of bits and pieces from Walk On and Electrical Storm.

But to me, the choice of the worst is easy. It's Love Rescue Me. AAAARGH. I don't remember the last time I even attempted hear that song. Bad music, lyrics desperately trying to come from the Americana mould, just begone. Begone.

Back
Top Bottom