Winslow, Arizona - Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I think making myself read Twitlame caused enough damage in that department. *L*

I bet you're glad it's cooled down now... Did you get any thunder?

Had an interview yesterday that I thought went really well but they haven't called me back which pretty much means I didn't get the job

So now I have to prepare for an exam tomorrow, write a report due next friday and find a place willing to hire me because this degree is worthless if I don't find a job....

can't I go back to being an undergrad?

I have four pages of thread to catch up on, but I am in between interviews 1 and 2. Must say interview 1 went well. But, boy oh boy I'm not sure I could do that job if I got it :uhoh:

Be back laterz!

Good luck on the jobs front, Ashley and John!

I bet you're glad it's cooled down now... Did you get any thunder?

We heard a bit during brokeNCYDE (did we anger the weather gods?), but no real storm action. Glad it's cooler now! It was all too stifling yesterday.

Good luck Ashley and John!

And I has internet jealousy. *L*

I realised this morning that it's the Manics next weekend, which means I have one week to use a gift voucher I've had for nearly two years. Better head off to Myer this afternoon and try to find something I want!

Nicoles new internet is awesome.

Just downloaded a 80mb album in UNDER 2 MINUTES!!!

*gone*

I keep thinking of upgrading my Intarwebz, but the cost's just a bit much at this stage. We'll see. I want some ADSL2+ in my life!

(Though last time I checked, Internode hadn't yet installed ADSL2+ DSLAMs in my local exchange yet. They have plans to do so, so I'm happy to wait. I've been with them for over six years and have no desire to switch to iiNet or TPG or, dare it be suggested, Tel$tra.)

Well, we're off to a big night of music at the Workers Club. Love Of Diagrams, Magic Silver White, Seja, and of course Alpine, amongst many others. Promises to be fun times. See you folks later! :wave:

Without going into too many details, let's just say Dave and I screwed up and now there's an 80% chance I'll be giving birth next July. That thought should probably terrify me to my core. But somehow, it doesn't. Personally, I just can't wait to see my baby. The doubts are still there and running strong. What if David and I break up? What if he decides he has to marry me? Not that marriage would be a bad thing, I just want him to marry me because he's truly in love with me, not just because we've procreated. And I don't doubt that he loves me. Even if he can't express it, I feel it. I see it in his actions. I don't need to hear him say the words to know it. Yes, he was a bit of a turd when I was freaking out over the card my father sent me, but he apologized for the knee-jerk reaction and conceded that he never should have acted the way he did. I forgave him because I knew he meant it and there's no point in holding a grudge against someone you love. I know I haven't painted the best picture of him in the superthread, but that's because I only tend to post about him when there's something to complain about. All the times you never hear from me about him, I'm perfectly happy with him and things are going swimmingly.

But here's where my worries come in. He doesn't have a job and no matter what I do to try to motivate him, nothing works. He has two bachelor of science degrees. He could walk into almost any position anywhere and be paid amazingly well and make something of himself. He's inordinately concerned with "working on himself," which equates to sitting around drinking beer, reading books, playing video games, and smoking weed all day. So maybe this will light a fire under him. Because then it's not just about him anymore. It's about me and our child, too. I could deal with him staying home and taking care of the baby while I worked, if I had any sort of a decent job. I'm barely living paycheck to paycheck as it is. Factor in the cost of a baby and...

And that's another worry of mine. Thanks to 40 years or so of privatized health insurance, I have no coverage for me, so no prenatal visits, unless I can get on some sort of government assistance program. The care isn't the best, but as long as it doesn't hurt me or the baby and I don't have to pay for it, I guess I can't complain.

But the worst part is not knowing how my friends and family and Dave will react. Most of my family, I'm not that worried about. They're assholes and they're gonna gossip and look down on me for getting pregnant out of wedlock and I just don't give a fuck what they think. I love my boyfriend, he loves me, we're having a baby and nothing they say or do is going to change that, so they can suck it up or suck my left nut. That's their choice. My mom, I am worried. I don't want her to think that she's going to have to help me raise this baby and put another strain on her finances. I have a contingency plan if Dave reacts badly. If he insists that there's no way I can be pregnant because he took the necessary precautions. Well, his idea of contraception fails 30% of the time. And his use of it was imperfect. And he knows it. At least he better know it. The initial panic has subsided and I have an idea of how me telling him is going to go down.

First of all, I'm going to tell him, point blank, "I have news for you. I'm pregnant." I'll take an extra pregnancy test with me and he can watch me pee on the stick for all I care. It's not going to change the result. And after he panics for a bit, he's going to calm down and ask me what I plan to do about it. And I'm going to tell him that I'm going through with the pregnancy. He'll probably press me again about an abortion, but unless this pregnancy becomes life-threatening, I'm not going to have one. i don't think we'll get in a fight over it. I know he'll say he needs some time to think, and I hope he'll eventually come around. And if not, I'll ask him if it's okay if I give the baby up for adoption. I know a couple who's dying for a child of their own, and if Dave won't be a part of the baby's life, then he/she deserves to have two parents who love him/her. I know I can't raise a child on my own, and I don't really want to try. I mean, this is all worst-case scenario. In a perfect world, he'd just shrug and roll with it, but I know he's going to get a little freaked. And that's okay. I'm expecting it. I just hope he doesn't take too long in realising that he does want to be a father and leave me wondering for weeks or even a couple of months.

I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of, but my brain's kind of fried at the moment.

Reggo :hug: it's going to be ok. Don't psych yourself out.

This has been the longest day ever ,and I still have another interview tomorrow :faint:

That was meant to be a PM to Daniel. Man, my brain IS fried. I'm going to idti off for spat. Good night, Vladders and other non-Russian-speaking peoples.

One step at a time, Reggo. :hug:

So, continued computer drama. After trying to put in a new wireless card, which didn't even register on the comp's hardware manager (it seems like it doesn't fit the slot on the motherboard properly, but what do I know), my comp-savvy friend suggested I try un-installing some particular video drivers and re-installing the card. That didn't work either, and now I can't watch DVDs on my comp again. Le sigh.

</coolstorybro>

Also, hope Ax and Charlotte are having a good night, and good luck Ashley for interviews!

Hi folks, fly-by post, good times were had. Alpine were the highlight - what, me, biased? Nooo. But seriously, one of the best sets we've seen them play, and in a damn small environment. Not entirely sure how they fit in the small space.

Other bands were really good too, we had quite a good time and it satisfied my post-Crowdies live music hangover. Love of Diagrams and Sirens of Venice were probably my favourites of the other bands.

As for previous posts:

1. :hug: to Reggo
2. Ashley, all the best! Hope you score something good.
3. Alison, may I suggest a new computer? I'll chip in 50c!

God I need sleep. Night folks! :wave:

If you've got 1000 more of those 50c pieces, it might help! :p

The only part of my comp not working is the wireless card. I think what I need is professional assistance.

And also, another professional who can fix my comp.

Lolz.

Glad you had a good night! I ended up hijacking the housemates' DVD player while they were out. :shifty:

I'm incredibly astounded by the immense popularity of Radiohead on last.fm. I mean, really.

I guess lots of indie hipsters hang out there?

By the way, pretty cool that Aang San Suu Kyi (apologies for any mis-spellings) has been released... I just hope it's permanent this time. Will see what happens!

I guess lots of indie hipsters hang out there?

I'm there to balance the demographic out. :shifty: Could be worse, but like I said, this infatuation with Radiohead goes way too far on last.fm much of the time.

But I'm content with my Russian rock musics.

By the way, pretty cool that Aang San Suu Kyi (apologies for any mis-spellings) has been released... I just hope it's permanent this time. Will see what happens!

Insert obligatory "heh'z no Walk Ons no MOAR!1!!!!1!!!". :wink:

Thanks, everyone. Two more long days before part of the wondering will be over. Then it'll be either telling Dave, or not being pregnant and putting all of this behind me.

Sorry for being self-absorbed.

1. Ashley, good luck with your interviews!
2. Ax, glad you and Charlotte are having fun. I need to go to a gig, it's been too long. And listening to Dave stumble through The Wall doesn't count.
3. Vlad, hipsters are EVERYWHERE. I dislike them. Their style, their music, it's all irritating. Some of the music is okay, but most of it I can do without. Note: I make a distinction between indie and hipster. Indie is Franz Ferdinand and The Nash. Hipster is crap like Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy.
4. Ali, I wish I could help with your comp. I know how I fixed my wireless when it was acting up, but it's a convoluted process and hard to explain.

I'm incredibly astounded by the immense popularity of Radiohead on last.fm. I mean, really.

Why is it at all surprising that one of the most popular bands in the world has one of the highest amount of listens on last.fm?

You all know my opinions on them, but OK Computer and The Bends were massively successful, Creep was a big hit, and their other albums have done rather well. It's not got much to do with "hipsters".

I can't help feeling that Dinosaur Jr's cover of Just Like Heaven actually tops The Cure's original version, at least for me.

Suspect disagreement from some quarters. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom