'Window In The Skies' -- The "Eternal Song"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Slow Loris said:
On a related note, I don't think The Unforgettable Fire would sound quite so genius if it had a streamline, crystal clean production....

I think the Unforgettable Fire would be more genius if it had some good songs. :wink:

Okay, as you can tell I'm bored, so let's go down the list:

1. A Sort of Homecoming -- makes me think of coming home on a wintery day with friends and family waiting around the fireplace. 8/10

2. Pride -- a classic. 10/10

3. Wire -- a growling rock song, but not one of my favourites. 7.5

4. The Unforgettable Fire -- simply beautiful, majestic. 10

5. Promenade -- intimate, yearning, musical poetry. 9

6. 4th of July -- an instrumental, what do you expect?! 7

7. Bad -- possibly U2's greatest song. 10

8. Indian Summer Sky -- haunting melody, uplifting at the same time...like the clouds parting to let the sun shine down. 8

9. Elvis Presley and America -- experimental yet very melodic. Works brilliantly. 8.5

10. MLK -- one of U2's most beautiful closing songs, and a nice lead in to the next song in U2's catalogue, 'Where The Streets Have No Name'

So what do we have? Three classic (10/10) U2 songs (something only TJT and R&H can boast as well), and a bunch of stellar musical vignettes to add dimension to the overall tapestry of brilliance that is The Unforgettable Fire.

:wink:

1. A Sort of Homecoming -- A gorgeous masterwork. You really underrated it. 9.5/10

2. Pride -- Eh...good song. And that's not only because I've heard it a bazillion times. It just isn't that incredible to me anymore. 8.5/10

3. Wire -- Noisy. It lacks focus and has little to no recognizable melody. Bono raps. 6.5/10

4. The Unforgettable Fire -- Also lacks focus. Bono rambles a lot, and the track misses the mark often. Still, it is epic and occasionally gorgeous. 8/10

5. Promenade -- Lovely. 9/10

6. 4th of July -- I actually like this one a lot. 8/10

7. Bad -- Mediocre here. Live, it is a juggernaut that is not able to be topped. This version is awful. Bono's vocals are terrible, it lacks punch, and it is a disappointment. 6/10 (I'd give the WAIA version a 9 easily)

8. Indian Summer Sky -- A piece of crap. No melody. No purpose. It's filler defined. 3/10

9. Elvis Presley and America -- Rambles on and on and on and on and on... 4/10

10. MLK -- Eh. Nice, but not great. 7/10

The first half is good, but the second half is tragic in comparison. To call this a masterpiece would be silly.

UF is one of U2's masterpieces, Wire is the only mediocre song

The Slow Loris said:
haha, I think the new record should be called U2: Even Better Than The Hype, and without missing a beat it will dive back into the irony of Achtung Baby with 12 different versions of 'Even Better Than The Real BThing'.

:wink:

HAHA this thread is halarious. My grandma's pretty cool but yeah I don't know if she's a good guage of great rock/pop songs.

As for beach clips being better for their mystical sound, here's an idea: a U2 concert on the beach, with the waves and wind and sand blowing into their equipment. Like in "A Day In the Life of Edge" where Edge just takes this guy's guittar and plays on Miami beach, only I'm there and they play for a few hours :drool:.

Because the argument hasn't died yet: The piano during the chorus of 400 is clearly 6/8 time. It would be very very hard to transform 4/4 to 6/8. 6/8 is kind of like a fast waltz, and the 1-2-3 feel is hard to pull out of music that was written in 2/4 or 4/4, though not impossible.

As for Bono's "greatest song ever written" prediction (come on, if it is THE eternal song, that's basically what he's saying), well I'd love it if it was, but I'm not holding my breath. That's just a pretty high bar and certainly not something you can know for years.

And while the Bad on UF isn't the best version, it's still amazing and 11/10 Live it's just 15/10, that's all. Don't hate just because of that.

Even though I'm not fond of the album, I can't see how anyone could give the title track anything less than a 10. :huh:

LemonMelon said:

7. Bad -- Mediocre here. Live, it is a juggernaut that is not able to be topped. This version is awful. Bono's vocals are terrible, it lacks punch, and it is a disappointment. 6/10 (I'd give the WAIA version a 9 easily)
I used to feel the same as you, until I realized they are almost two different songs (the studio version and the live version). The live version is a ferverous, spine tingling spectacle that takes you to a higher spiritual self. The album version, however, is almost like a love song, and far more emotional in some ways. I think it really hit home to me when I saw the beginning of the movie, Taking Lives (starring Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke). It's the type of song (the studio version) that hits you when you least expect it, usually when you're alone, watching a sunrise, or something equally as dramatic. It's a beautiful song, and I think it's a mistake to compare the live version to it only because it's like it's a different song in a sense.

Varitek said:

As for beach clips being better for their mystical sound, here's an idea: a U2 concert on the beach, with the waves and wind and sand blowing into their equipment.
That would be great! Well, maybe not the sand blowing into their equipment part, but the rest of it would be fantastic! Can you imagine a U2 concert on the beach? By the ocean with warm breezes? What a great time!

Think they'd do it? An interference-only, no-shoes-allowed beach concert? I'd pay whatever to fly wherever they wanted to do it. Come on, boys!

I can't hear it but when I clicked "here for intro" it brought me, as I suspected it would, to a rhapsody page to buy The Saints Are Coming. That's the new single that we already know about.

Sorry, that's not piano-y, psychadelic, or antyhing else that we know about WITS. And if it was going to be leaked, that would probably not be the place they'd do it. I think it's just somebody messing around on a guitar, though it sounds very nice until they switch styles - maybe it's Edge messing around.

I haven't listened to it since watching it on TV, but I read on here that it was music taken from U2's version of 'Tower of Song' with Leonard Cohen. I saw that documentary at the theatre (I'm Your Man), and Edge's guitar work was quite beautiful.

Since when does something have to be different to be beautiful? I swear to God some people here have no idea what they're even talking about.

amen Lancemc. Where's the Confessionals update, btw? I've been lurking in your thread. If I were Premium I'd send you a PM about a personal experience with somebody who was in a relationship at the time that I fell for him, but there's no way I'm posting something so personal on a forum (lol but I'll send it to a stranger) (short stripped version: didn't happen, they're now broken up a long time later and i'm in a relationship, i think we both wonder what might have been but cest la vie).

Last edited:
Varitek said:
amen Lancemc. Where's the Confessionals update, btw? I've been lurking in your thread. If I were Premium I'd send you a PM about a personal experience with somebody who was in a relationship at the time that I fell for him, but there's no way I'm posting something so personal on a forum (lol but I'll send it to a stranger) (short stripped version: didn't happen, they're now broken up a long time later and i'm in a relationship, i think we both wonder what might have been but cest la vie).

Well, you can send me an email if you'd like. It's lm0385a@american.edu (don't care if people know my email, I get enough spam as it is). I wish you would have posted there earlier though, I need all the support/advice I can get. :lol:

U2 should just stick with "W" songs for the rest of their career. Those seem to turn out pretty well.

Where The Streets Have No Name
With Or Without You
Walk On
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Window In The Skies

and one of my favorites, Wild Honey :wink:

does anyone have any info on any radio station that has said that they will play this song this week? lots of people have said the 8th or 9th but i have not seen any proper quotes to say this song will be played on a certain date!

It's pretty good. Not great. Hardly "eternal". :eyebrow:

The outro is really pretty.

The song is also 400 reworked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom