wild speculation: could U2 unveil new songs at inauguration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannieco

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
Speculation/mystery about musical acts performinig at Obama's inauguration!

Hey guys! I wasn't sure where to post this article because it didn't really fit anywhere in a previous thread. I also posted this in FYM. I was hoping they would speculate in the article below that U2 would play in DC sometime around the inauguration festivities.
This article doesn't mention U2 but thought I'd share it anyway.
( PS I am going to DC on the 18th and I am hopeful that U2 or even 1/2 of U2 show up and play as their "surprise performance" to promote GOYB and NLOTH! What better place to get people fired up to "Get on your boots" because of all the work we have ahead of us to clean up the crap dubya has served up to us on a silver plater. If that is the implication of the song lyrics that is! I have no idea..but I am thinking that is the overall implication....ie, walk to the talk.
Wouldn't that be awesome if they premiered the song in DC? Haha! I know I am dreaming! I am so excited to just be there with or without U2. (excuse the pun) Having them show up would be the icing on the cake!! I am thinking that at the very least Bono will be there to witness history even if it's away from the spotlight. What do you guys think?

In a Stage Of Suspense
Who Will Perform at Inaugural Ceremonies? The Mystery Plays Out

By Richard Leiby and J. Freedom du Lac
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, January 8, 2009; C01

The biggest music act of the presidential inauguration has finally been announced. It's TBD.

They're better known as To Be Determined, and their name is on everyone's lips in show business.

Who's performing at the Youth Ball on inauguration night, where you'd expect to find the hottest pop music acts?

TBD.

At the Jan. 19 Verizon Center family concert that tweens are drooling to attend?

TBD.

At the Lincoln Memorial on Jan. 18, the opening celebration and traditional musical blowout of past inaugurations?

It's TBD!

Presidential inaugural balls and official events usually feature amazing entertainment -- even the free shows usually held on the Mall. But the big weekend that kicks off the Barack Obama inaugural celebration is nine days (only seven working days) away and the lineups haven't been made public. Despite intense curiosity from big donors to the Obama campaign, entertainment industry insiders and ordinary folks, there have been no announcements regarding the signature acts who will be brought in to officially help celebrate the advent of the new presidency.

"There are many moving parts," Linda Douglass, a spokeswoman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee, said yesterday. "Contracts are still being worked out; nothing has been finalized yet. That doesn't mean plans aren't far along down the road."

Some veteran show-producers and celebrity wranglers wonder whether the Obama organization is cutting it close. Certainly people will still go to the events, no matter who is playing, but sources in the industry say there seem to be more last-minute bookings than usual for this inauguration.

Who's coming? Who's in charge of the booking, producing and promoting part of all this?

"The crazy thing is, nobody knows," said Robin Bronk, executive director of the nonpartisan Creative Coalition, an arts advocacy group that's throwing an inauguration night bash with headliners Elvis Costello and Sting. "You have your secretary of defense, your secretary of education. We need the secretary of Hollywood."

The creative logistics for the official performances have fallen to Democratic communication strategists Erik Smith and Jim Margolis, who did not return calls yesterday. But at this inauguration, the showbiz world has noticed something: "There is no Harry Thomason," Bronk said. "Even people in entertainment are calling me and saying, 'I want to be their Harry Thomason.' "

Thomason, a film and TV veteran, chaired Bill Clinton's 1993 inauguration with his wife, Linda Bloodworth, and produced Clinton's second. "We brought in people who booked concerts and that made it relatively easy to book the talent," he said yesterday. "I don't know how the current inaugural people are doing it, but I wish them all the luck in the world. It's a hard job."

Pulling off an inauguration is a monumental task, said Thomas Baer, vice chairman of a television production and distribution company. Baer helped run the talent division for Clinton's 1993 inauguration, which ranks as the mother of them all in terms of entertainment, with a lineup that included Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Al Green, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Etta James, Elton John, LL Cool J, Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett. Coordinating the entertainment at George W. Bush's first inauguration -- which included performances by Destiny's Child, Lee Ann Womack, George Strait, ZZ Top, Clint Black, Brooks & Dunn and Ricky Martin -- was no less of a logistical feat for its producers.

So much contractual fine print, so many details: Hotel rooms have to be booked; backup musicians brought in; transportation arranged; handlers and security hired. "If Beyoncé says, 'I wanna perform in the inaugural,' that has to be the subject of a lot of administrative and contractual and advance activities," Baer said.

(Incidentally, Beyoncé said after Election Day: "Whatever they want -- if they need me to volunteer, they need me to sing, I'm there and I'm ready." Asked yesterday whether the star would perform at an inaugural event, the hip-hop star's publicist said: "Her D.C. plans have not been confirmed.")

The showbiz/political dynamic has shifted since the Clinton era. "I have noticed one key difference in our culture: Clinton basked in the glow of celebrities. Now celebrities bask in the glow of Obama," said Michael Levine, a Hollywood publicist for 25 years. "Somehow he has become the sun and we're rotating in his orbit."

So while other unofficial events have announced major talent, some of the biggest names in music may have found themselves waiting by the phone like high schoolers hoping for a prom date. Would Barack call?

Plenty of speculation about the lineup buzzed through the industry. Would the Boss play? Stevie Wonder? Billy Joel? (All have been big Obama supporters.)

Committee officials wouldn't confirm anything. Spokeswoman Douglass says the official entertainment schedule will finally be unveiled on, well . . . that's TBD, too.

"I think we're very close," she said.

On Tuesday, the Presidential Inaugural Committee put out a generic announcement about the Jan. 18 event, saying HBO would broadcast the show on a free, open signal to anybody with cable. "The Opening Celebration will be a marquis [sic] event, featuring some of the biggest acts in the world of entertainment to celebrate our common heritage and our new direction," it said. "President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden will both attend the event, which will be free and open to the public."

One way to figure out who won't be performing at any of the 10 official inauguration-night balls is to survey the lineups for all those peripheral parties. Along with Sting and Elvis Costello, the soul-singing great Sam Moore is booked at the Creative Coalition gala. Hip-hop singer Rihanna will be at the Recording Industry Association of America Ball, Melissa Etheridge at the Human Rights Campaign's Equality Ball. The pop-opera quartet Il Divo has the Inaugural Purple Ball on its Jan. 20 itinerary, while Wyclef Jean will be at the BET Inaugural Ball. Joan Baez, Graham Nash and Jackson Browne? They'll be at the Inaugural Peace Ball. George Clinton, Chaka Khan, Kirk Franklin, T-Pain, Fantasia, the Cheetah Girls and Peter, Paul and Mary are among the acts scheduled to appear at the two American Music Inaugural Balls.

If you're planning on attending one or more of the official events, you might be frustrated by the sheer number of TBDs. But probably not for long, Baer predicted.

"President Obama's inaugural is going to be spectacular, simply because it's President Obama's inaugural," he said. "The talent booking and preparation is a footnote to the larger point. And that is that the American people are excited about this inaugural, and it will come off just fine."

Reading this article (below) and thinking about the timing of U2's new single, and the fact that Obama is a huge U2 fan and used their music at the Democratic convention and while on the campaign trail all last year, makes me wonder -- COULD it be that U2 will be one of the surprise rock acts in D.C. next week?

:drool:

-----------
In a Stage Of Suspense
Who Will Perform at Inaugural Ceremonies? The Mystery Plays Out

By Richard Leiby and J. Freedom du Lac
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, January 8, 2009; C01

The biggest music act of the presidential inauguration has finally been announced. It's TBD.

They're better known as To Be Determined, and their name is on everyone's lips in show business.

Who's performing at the Youth Ball on inauguration night, where you'd expect to find the hottest pop music acts?

TBD.

At the Jan. 19 Verizon Center family concert that tweens are drooling to attend?

TBD.

At the Lincoln Memorial on Jan. 18, the opening celebration and traditional musical blowout of past inaugurations?

It's TBD!

Presidential inaugural balls and official events usually feature amazing entertainment -- even the free shows usually held on the Mall. But the big weekend that kicks off the Barack Obama inaugural celebration is nine days (only seven working days) away and the lineups haven't been made public. Despite intense curiosity from big donors to the Obama campaign, entertainment industry insiders and ordinary folks, there have been no announcements regarding the signature acts who will be brought in to officially help celebrate the advent of the new presidency.

"There are many moving parts," Linda Douglass, a spokeswoman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee, said yesterday. "Contracts are still being worked out; nothing has been finalized yet. That doesn't mean plans aren't far along down the road."

Some veteran show-producers and celebrity wranglers wonder whether the Obama organization is cutting it close. Certainly people will still go to the events, no matter who is playing, but sources in the industry say there seem to be more last-minute bookings than usual for this inauguration.

Who's coming? Who's in charge of the booking, producing and promoting part of all this?

"The crazy thing is, nobody knows," said Robin Bronk, executive director of the nonpartisan Creative Coalition, an arts advocacy group that's throwing an inauguration night bash with headliners Elvis Costello and Sting. "You have your secretary of defense, your secretary of education. We need the secretary of Hollywood."

The creative logistics for the official performances have fallen to Democratic communication strategists Erik Smith and Jim Margolis, who did not return calls yesterday. But at this inauguration, the showbiz world has noticed something: "There is no Harry Thomason," Bronk said. "Even people in entertainment are calling me and saying, 'I want to be their Harry Thomason.' "

Thomason, a film and TV veteran, chaired Bill Clinton's 1993 inauguration with his wife, Linda Bloodworth, and produced Clinton's second. "We brought in people who booked concerts and that made it relatively easy to book the talent," he said yesterday. "I don't know how the current inaugural people are doing it, but I wish them all the luck in the world. It's a hard job."

Pulling off an inauguration is a monumental task, said Thomas Baer, vice chairman of a television production and distribution company. Baer helped run the talent division for Clinton's 1993 inauguration, which ranks as the mother of them all in terms of entertainment, with a lineup that included Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry, Al Green, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Etta James, Elton John, LL Cool J, Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett. Coordinating the entertainment at George W. Bush's first inauguration -- which included performances by Destiny's Child, Lee Ann Womack, George Strait, ZZ Top, Clint Black, Brooks & Dunn and Ricky Martin -- was no less of a logistical feat for its producers.

So much contractual fine print, so many details: Hotel rooms have to be booked; backup musicians brought in; transportation arranged; handlers and security hired. "If Beyoncé says, 'I wanna perform in the inaugural,' that has to be the subject of a lot of administrative and contractual and advance activities," Baer said.

(Incidentally, Beyoncé said after Election Day: "Whatever they want -- if they need me to volunteer, they need me to sing, I'm there and I'm ready." Asked yesterday whether the star would perform at an inaugural event, the hip-hop star's publicist said: "Her D.C. plans have not been confirmed.")

The showbiz/political dynamic has shifted since the Clinton era. "I have noticed one key difference in our culture: Clinton basked in the glow of celebrities. Now celebrities bask in the glow of Obama," said Michael Levine, a Hollywood publicist for 25 years. "Somehow he has become the sun and we're rotating in his orbit."

So while other unofficial events have announced major talent, some of the biggest names in music may have found themselves waiting by the phone like high schoolers hoping for a prom date. Would Barack call?

Plenty of speculation about the lineup buzzed through the industry. Would the Boss play? Stevie Wonder? Billy Joel? (All have been big Obama supporters.)

Committee officials wouldn't confirm anything. Spokeswoman Douglass says the official entertainment schedule will finally be unveiled on, well . . . that's TBD, too.

"I think we're very close," she said.

On Tuesday, the Presidential Inaugural Committee put out a generic announcement about the Jan. 18 event, saying HBO would broadcast the show on a free, open signal to anybody with cable. "The Opening Celebration will be a marquis [sic] event, featuring some of the biggest acts in the world of entertainment to celebrate our common heritage and our new direction," it said. "President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden will both attend the event, which will be free and open to the public."

One way to figure out who won't be performing at any of the 10 official inauguration-night balls is to survey the lineups for all those peripheral parties. Along with Sting and Elvis Costello, the soul-singing great Sam Moore is booked at the Creative Coalition gala. Hip-hop singer Rihanna will be at the Recording Industry Association of America Ball, Melissa Etheridge at the Human Rights Campaign's Equality Ball. The pop-opera quartet Il Divo has the Inaugural Purple Ball on its Jan. 20 itinerary, while Wyclef Jean will be at the BET Inaugural Ball. Joan Baez, Graham Nash and Jackson Browne? They'll be at the Inaugural Peace Ball. George Clinton, Chaka Khan, Kirk Franklin, T-Pain, Fantasia, the Cheetah Girls and Peter, Paul and Mary are among the acts scheduled to appear at the two American Music Inaugural Balls.

If you're planning on attending one or more of the official events, you might be frustrated by the sheer number of TBDs. But probably not for long, Baer predicted.

"President Obama's inaugural is going to be spectacular, simply because it's President Obama's inaugural," he said. "The talent booking and preparation is a footnote to the larger point. And that is that the American people are excited about this inaugural, and it will come off just fine."

Hmmm, given Bono's bipartisan obsession, it seems a bit doubtful.

On the other hand, Obama is going to be president for the next 4 or 8 years, so who knows?

It's not completely out of the realm of possibilities...:shrug:

An Irish band bringing in the first African-American US President :hmm:

Didn't Larry and Adam play at Clinton's '93 inauguration, though? And Bono and Edge played at the Clinton library ceremony... :hmm:

And this inauguration's music announcements have been *super* top-secret... and U2's album details have been the same way... and COBL was Obama's campaign theme song...

:hmm:

image.jpg

When I saw this, I went :doh:. After reading it though, went :hmm:

I'm inclined to say no, mostly because, as bram said, Bono's worked hard to be bipartisan in his efforts. However, U2 isn't one to shy away from historic moments and large stages. The thing is, even if they did, I don't think they'd play anything from the new album. It'd be COBL, Beautiful Day, One, etc.

Perhaps they could be there ( I wouldn't bet any money on that) but it would surely not be to "unveil" the new single....it would have to have been out for a few days on the radio already before they would make an appearance the inauguration and play the new single

When I saw this, I went :doh:. After reading it though, went :hmm:

I'm inclined to say no, mostly because, as bram said, Bono's worked hard to be bipartisan in his efforts. However, U2 isn't one to shy away from historic moments and large stages. The thing is, even if they did, I don't think they'd play anything from the new album. It'd be COBL, Beautiful Day, One, etc.

Yeah, I agree that they probably wouldn't play Boots live because the song wouldn't fit. But I could see them releasing the new single to the radio on the same day that the announcement is made that they're playing at the inauguration.

Well, it would be a interesting to make everyone in the U.S. hear about the new single.

omg.. wouldn't that just be insane if they did.. I live right outside of dc... can 't get anywhere near the inauguration cuz all the freeways will be shutdown.. have to watch on the boob tube.:sad:

You're such a pessimistic douchebag. Join in on the wild speculation, live a little! :tsk:

I think they'll play Winter because it's January.

Uncalled for, especially because he is most likely correct. Anything they played would likely need to be thematically/sonically in keeping with the event.

too bad "Moment Of Surrender" wasn't changed to "Mission Accomplished". they could play it at Bush's going away party.

I sure hope not. It'd be a mistake for them to join. Believe it or not, not everyone likes Barack Obama.

And I agree. It wouldn't be a new song, likely, anyways.

How many of the songs from the last album were played on the promo tour prior to the release of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb?

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Original of the Species

Quite a few it seems, but I doubt this would be the event to do such a mini-gig. That being said I hope we will have a promo tour as interesting as the last ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom