Wide Awake in Europe Discussion only NO REQUESTS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well none of the smaller Vinyl Strore in the UK are gonna have them. Spent the day calling about 20 of them. So I assume they're going to HMV and the like :hmm:

Yeah, I need it in mp3 form, and I'd like it to be the official Wide Awake In Europe version.

I'm a greedy son of a bitch.

And I only have money enough for food, booze, and cigarettes, not for U2.com subscriptions or vinyl record day releases.

Record Store Day is meant for smaller independent record stores. The idea providing them with something you can't get at the chain stores or online shops.

So it will be interesting to see if Best Buy actually delivers. Considering the purpose of Record Store Day and the limited amount available. I could see cancellations.

For those that pre-ordered from BB, I do hope I'm wrong. But BB had other U2 CD single releases "available for pre-order" that later were cancelled. Knowing BB's crap customer service, I can see them not admitting to that until after Black Friday.

Off topic, but I still think the first leg performances of MoS knock the rest into a cocked hat. Do like the rap though.

Really? I thought Bono's vocals got stronger on Leg 2, and then the rap added from SNL after made it even better.

who cares if some people call it a rap? really. no need to break something down into semantics for pages. we all know what people are referencing and there's not going to be anybody who is right or wrong at the end of the day because the definition of

a style of popular music, developed by disc jockeys and urban blacks in the late 1970s, in which an insistent, recurring beat pattern provides the background and counterpoint for rapid, slangy, and often boastful rhyming patter glibly intoned by a vocalist or vocalists.

there's the definition of rap according to dictionary.com. make of it what you will, but i don't really want to see this thread turn into "what's rap" thread.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I'm going to try to order online sometime tomorrow. There's no places in my area that are going to be carrying it according to the link on U2.com.

Also, I like the Leg 3 versions of MOS the most. With edge playing the piano in the beginning instead of the palm muting/picking whatever he's doing on the earlier legs once the drums kick in. I also prefer the synth intro to the organ intro, so the Leg 3 versions have been lightyears better to me.

I like the Urban Dictionary's definition better:

"Rap is a music genre.Its hated by many people that believe in the stereo type that only blacks make rap and its always about shooting cops, drugs, money and sex. Which leads to another stereo type that says all blacks like rap... 1.Not all blacks like rap. 2.Rap's not only for Blacks. 3.Not all rap is about money drugs and sex... 4.Not all people who like rap are black People who don't like rap, usually say "Rap is crap that has artists like 50 Cent." These are people who know nothing about rap, and judge it by what they see on TV. If you REALLY know what rap is then you'd know 50 Cent sucks balls and isn't a good rapper at all.See the people who like rap, and actually understand rap know 50 Cent is not a good rapper.Rap is poetry, despite what any other person says. Rap is like poetry with attitude,poetry with a bit of gangsterism. Look at Mos Def. That is a real rapper. Somebody like 50 Cent or Cassidy has nothing on somebody like Mos Def. Most people say that rap degrades women. I don't really think so, because people need to realize.. A bitch is a bitch. A hoe is a hoe. A whore is a whore. And a lady is a lady. Rap has something called a beat to it, something that sounds catchy and something you can dance to.For instance Tupac's California Love is something you can dance to. And anybody that tries to say thats not a good song...well isnt there a rock song that goes "I've got 2 tickets to paradise, pack your bags we'll leave tonight." Some people say rap is senseless and doesnt talk about anything. Wake up people thats what music is. The ability to say express yourself, and it just so happens rap expresses itself more than others.And anybody who doesn't like rap, thats fine, but dont talk shit about it when you don't even know about it."

And what I was alluding to was that scat singing is all about vocal expression through nonsense syllables, ergo the addition to MOS is not scatting.

When Blondie released Rapture in 1981 is was considered the first mainstream hip hop song due to the middle rap-like section.

Perhaps MOS live is actually hip-hop :hmm:

(but seriously, who cares. it's just a freaking brilliant song :love: with and without the rap/scat/hip-hop).

U2.com is now streaming MOS from WAIE (subscribers only).

U2 > Sign In

256 kbps MP3. Here's to hoping they stream the other two tracks over the coming days.

Their newest email says they might. :hmm:

As an exclusive for U2.com subscribers we've just started streaming one of the tracks, a beautiful performance of 'Moment of Surrender', recorded live in Paris back in September. Keep checking in on the subscriber site - we might be premiering some more exclusive audio in the next day or two.

It doesn't say exactly what it might be except "exclusive" but I suppose it could be from WAIE.

Their announcement says the 23rd.

The email I just got says "next Tuesday."

And yet. AND YET. RSD site says Black Friday, the 26th.

That makes me want to go lie down in a dark room with a cool cloth on my head.

Why cant they just release this shit on cd already. For fuck sakes music on vinyl sounds like shit compared to a cd these days. fuckin retarded

i like the urban dictionary's definition better:

"rap is a music genre.its hated by many people that believe in the stereo type that only blacks make rap and its always about shooting cops, drugs, money and sex. Which leads to another stereo type that says all blacks like rap... 1.not all blacks like rap. 2.rap's not only for blacks. 3.not all rap is about money drugs and sex... 4.not all people who like rap are black people who don't like rap, usually say "rap is crap that has artists like 50 cent." these are people who know nothing about rap, and judge it by what they see on tv. If you really know what rap is then you'd know 50 cent sucks balls and isn't a good rapper at all.see the people who like rap, and actually understand rap know 50 cent is not a good rapper.rap is poetry, despite what any other person says. Rap is like poetry with attitude,poetry with a bit of gangsterism. Look at mos def. That is a real rapper. Somebody like 50 cent or cassidy has nothing on somebody like mos def. Most people say that rap degrades women. I don't really think so, because people need to realize.. A bitch is a bitch. A hoe is a hoe. A whore is a whore. And a lady is a lady. Rap has something called a beat to it, something that sounds catchy and something you can dance to.for instance tupac's california love is something you can dance to. And anybody that tries to say thats not a good song...well isnt there a rock song that goes "i've got 2 tickets to paradise, pack your bags we'll leave tonight." some people say rap is senseless and doesnt talk about anything. Wake up people thats what music is. The ability to say express yourself, and it just so happens rap expresses itself more than others.and anybody who doesn't like rap, thats fine, but dont talk shit about it when you don't even know about it."

rap has seriously bad over the years. Over the years it wasnt just about the music anymore- it was about the image. Unfortunately over the past 15 years it HAS been about money, sex, power, hoes, you name it - thats not talent - its bullshit. ahhh...why am I even commenting on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom