Why they are doing this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iris is one of the best songs, this tour. It's loaded with emotion, and is such a fundamental meaning of what the tour is about. To criticize it means you have no idea what's going on. Or, you just don't like the song, and are looking for something to grasp at about it.

Sleep Like a Baby Tonight would be fantastic though.

"Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" would have been cool if they gave it the "Velvet Dress" treatment on Popmart.
Crystal Ballroom-Sleep-WOWY could have made for a good encore.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Gonna go ahead and disagree with you on Ballroom-Sleep-WOWY working. Thematically that's pretty brutal.

Eh - It's been too long since I have been yelled at and flamed so I thought I'd jump in.

I do not agree with all of the author's points, but I do with some. For the band U2 I'd say 2015 was the year of, well 'eh' in my opinion.

Somewhat decent record, barely average tour, but I'd say major letdown in terms over overall concept for this tour.

Granted, I think their music has been mostly sleepy since (and including) Electrical Storm but I have to mostly blame that fucking marching band xylophone for the descent. That song was terrible and I have to say all songs since have resembled it more than say Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, or Pride.

I only went to one show this tour and that was almost more than enough. Larry sat out at least four songs that night and while I wanted to have that great energetic enthusiasm I have had every tour since my first in 1987, it just wasn't there.

I blame the music, I blame management, I blame the stage and set, and mostly I blame myself for simply wanting more of the old days.

The band gets incredible props for doing things like handing their stage over on the last night of their tour to Eagles of Death Metal and are otherworldly in talent and good will, I just do not see the last year as a milestone for them. More of a placeholder.

I really did not see anything ambitious about the show I saw and less so in that they basically played the same thing every night (aside from some song rotations) over the course of the entire first and second legs.

They call themselves punk, they call themselves revolutionary, but they have turned more into a theatrical stage act repeating themselves night in and night out. Why buy tickets to more than one show when you know what you will get anyway (down to the Bono water bottle throw and poseur lamentations.)

I think they should loosen up, become more raw and random and just walk out and play a random list show. It would only be a benefit to them and garner heaps of respect from some of us white-hairs.

I think we need Rick Rubin to step in.

I've rambled on too long, but I guess I can only hope for something different into the future. Maybe the next leg will shake it up a bit...

Yours truly,

Ouizy

In theory I agree with you on the mixing it up, and that it makes going to multiple shows less enticing.

But from a purely entertainment value I disagree, as I thought this tour was incredibly well done from a theatrical stand point. If that's simply bit something you're interested in in any level, then sure, the show will be a disappointment.

So as a one off show I think they fucking aced it... as a tour for the hardcores who want to go night after night after night, it's still fun but I certainly get your point, and I dream of a day where they toss the static set lists out and just wing it.

Frankly I don't think they're capable of doing it.

I guess the "burden" of being a Pearl Jam fan is that there's more variety to their setlists. U2 does have a tendency to play it safe with the setlists. But, this is something they've been doing for years. I've never had a problem with it because I usually don't catch too many shows on the tour. Plus, I'm kind of easy to please U2-wise. The last time I was slightly displeased with a show was Vertigo when Bono was fucking up the lyrics more often.

I went into this tour really not thrilled with SOI. In fact, it's probably close to Horizon as my least favorite U2 album. But the 2 LA shows I saw really opened my eyes to the songs from the album that they played and I think as to what they played and the arrangements used, they were the right choices and absolutely worked.

I was a big fan of the new songs as well, even though they clearly lack the same audience energy/participation/etc which is to be expected. (outside of Miracle and EBW, both of which made probably the biggest turnaround from studio to live for me)

Bummed they never got to Sleep Like a Baby and Reach Around... those are my two favorite songs on the album.

Eh - It's been too long since I have been yelled at and flamed so I thought I'd jump in.

I do not agree with all of the author's points, but I do with some. For the band U2 I'd say 2015 was the year of, well 'eh' in my opinion.

Somewhat decent record, barely average tour, but I'd say major letdown in terms over overall concept for this tour.

Granted, I think their music has been mostly sleepy since (and including) Electrical Storm but I have to mostly blame that fucking marching band xylophone for the descent. That song was terrible and I have to say all songs since have resembled it more than say Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, or Pride.

I only went to one show this tour and that was almost more than enough. Larry sat out at least four songs that night and while I wanted to have that great energetic enthusiasm I have had every tour since my first in 1987, it just wasn't there.

I blame the music, I blame management, I blame the stage and set, and mostly I blame myself for simply wanting more of the old days.

The band gets incredible props for doing things like handing their stage over on the last night of their tour to Eagles of Death Metal and are otherworldly in talent and good will, I just do not see the last year as a milestone for them. More of a placeholder.

I really did not see anything ambitious about the show I saw and less so in that they basically played the same thing every night (aside from some song rotations) over the course of the entire first and second legs.

They call themselves punk, they call themselves revolutionary, but they have turned more into a theatrical stage act repeating themselves night in and night out. Why buy tickets to more than one show when you know what you will get anyway (down to the Bono water bottle throw and poseur lamentations.)

I think they should loosen up, become more raw and random and just walk out and play a random list show. It would only be a benefit to them and garner heaps of respect from some of us white-hairs.

I think we need Rick Rubin to step in.

I've rambled on too long, but I guess I can only hope for something different into the future. Maybe the next leg will shake it up a bit...

Yours truly,

Ouizy

Methinks they are limited in how they can mix things up by their stage production. When all you have production wise is a light tech doing a light show to accompany your songs you are free to mix things up night after night. When you have sequencers, huge ass screens and interactions between the band members and said screen your freedom is more limited. In that sense U2's shows are like theater productions and they tend to do the same thing night after night as well.

I've not attended a single show on this tour (nor on the previous one) but I've listened to a lot of the bootlegs so far and seen the cams that have been released and it does seem to work, including the new songs. It helps that Bono gives us a narrative. The few times they played some other SOI songs, unless you really like that song, it seems to have been lackluster. Especially Volcano.

The setlists, I fully agree though, have been extremely static. Three different songs per night at best, including the final night in a city that had more then 2 shows, which was usually the night when they deviated off their setlist the most. Setlistwise this has been the most boring tour ever. I'd feel really cheated if I had gotten tickets for multiple shows. Even more so if the different songs I would have gotten that night would have been that godawful Desire/Angel of Harlem combo. I got bored hearing that already on the 360 bootlegs. Interestingly I've read that it's Smasher, their video director, who did the nightly setlists. So it would appear any criticisms regarding static setlists and choice of songs should be directed towards him.

Ouizy and Maud: Completely agree. Look at my post from two years ago. Seems like nothing's changed. Word for word, from March of '14:

Stream of Consciousness Ramblings
Haven't posted, or even looked, on here for years. Just had to get some thoughts out of my head.

What a disappointment U2 has become. Just absolute blah. I used to friggin' love, I mean LOVE this band. I'm 46, right in the wheelhouse of classic longtime fans. They once seemed destined for the pantheon reserved for the true heavyweights of the genre. And based on their 1980-1993 output, they still deserve huge consideration. But it's like they've never recovered from the knockout blow that was Pop. Really, they've been staggering ever since.

In retrospect, I guess the day they died for me was the day I heard "Beautiful Day" on the radio for the first time. I honestly thought it was elevator musak--some kind of imitation U2 or something. Then I kept hearing people saying how "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was a "return to basics" or "back to the good old days", and I was like, "What? This is nothing like either of those things." And it's not like I was longing for a return to the good old days. I just wanted new, good music from them. I didn't mind the experimentation at all--Pop just didn't work for me, or a lot of others, for that matter. But it seems like they got so scared after that that they just dialed it back to keep producing this dreck. I can't even call it "middle of the road dreck", because that is more appropriately reserved for artists like Adele or Coldplay. Yet even they somehow manage to supersede U2 for balls these days.

What the hell happened? Intellectually, I know all bands have a shelf life. Compared to other all time greats, their heyday is about the same as others: Beatles1962-1970, simply amazing), Stones (1964-1981) Who (1965-1978) Zeppelin (1969-1980). Beatles and Zep stopped at exactly the right time due to circumstances. Who carried on a bit, then stopped, then re-grouped, etc, and have been trotting out greatest hits tours ever since, even sans two members. Since 1993, U2's arc most resembles the Stones of the mid 80's to the present: Release a horrible album every 4-5 years, followed by mammoth tours where all anyone cares abut are the oldies. Damn, I remember going to one of the first shows of the Zoo TV tour at the Meadowlands where they opened with 8 (!) songs from the "new" album, and they absolutely rocked the house. There'd be a F'in riot if they did that now. They also didn't play anything pre-"Unforgettable Fire", meaning only stuff from the current and previous three albums. If they did that today, the equivalent would be 8 new songs (from whatever album they can't quite seem to put out yet) and then only songs from "All That You Can"t Leave Behind" and beyond. Who'd be up for that?

Emotionally, it's just kind of sad. I've given up any hope of this band ever being close to what they once were. The track record over the last 15 years just says it's not going to happen. "Stuck in a Moment", "Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights", "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight", "Window in the Skies". Just one piece of shite after another. Don't even start with "Get On Your Boots". And now these two latest turds.

Bono rightfully has to take the blame for the majority of this crap. He's the frontman, the lyric writer, the face of the band. And the lyrics have been downright clunky. The vocals nowhere near what they used to be.

But you know who seems to be getting a pass all these years? The Edge. Where is the interesting, soaring, "from outer space" guitar that once made this band so unique? Why is every song so damn mid-tempo, or trying too hard to "rock" in some way that just sounds silly? Doesn't he listen to this shit and wonder what happened? Hell, just the opening notes to "Pride" put all of these songs to shame. And I literally mean that: just the opening 10 seconds. I was just passing by a room in a hallway today, and those first guitar notes of "With or Without You", where you first really hear Edge's guitar, were playing. Just so ear-catching. Where are the catchy riffs today? Does he not assert himself in the studio anymore? Has he lost it too? Off the top of my head, I feel he has tried to do that only a handful of times since 2000. One was "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own", but the guitar sounded so much like a mix of "All I Want Is You" and the live version of "Bad" from the '85 EP, that it was disconcerting. The other was "Crumbs From Your Table", which had potential, but was somehow just a little off (Bono's vocals/lyrics didn't help there). To a lesser extent, it was tried with "Magnificent", which sounded good at first, but disappeared like cotton candy after a few listens. No staying power. Not anthemic, though it tried so desperately hard to be.

To those who read this far, I appreciate it. I said I had some things to get off my chest. I know I'll get torched by some out there. But I've earned the right, with all I've invested (in all senses of the word) in these guys. They'll always hold a special place in my heart, but the last 15 years have done a lot towards watering down those memories.

Last edited:
And this from five years ago:

Ok: First in the interest of full disclosure--who I am: A 43 yr. old U2 fan since the early 80's. Own all the albums, been to 6 shows dating back to Joshua Tree. Consider this band to be the soundtrack of my teenage/early adulthood. Lost some interest in the mid-90's around Pop, and have sporadically enjoyed a handful of songs since. But still very much enjoyed going to the live shows (Elevation and Vertigo). Until now.

Sure, there are definitely ancillary problems with a U2 show these days, but the main problem is really quite simple: The setlist. It is way too predictable and static. This from a guy who did not log onto any websites to see what was being played, from the day way back in '09 when I first bought the tickets. And specifically for Oakland, this setlist had many commonalities to the last time they played here in '05. (Off the top of my head, at least 10-12). Now, I know, a standard reaction to that would be "But those are the (fill in the blank with "standards", "classics", "hits"). Let me make something clear: I am not a guy longing for the old days, or even wishing they would "get back to their roots". I am simply wanting more from this band at this point of their career. I want a changing setlist each night, a la Springsteen, Pearl Jam, The Dead, etc.

Let's think about this for a minute. We know U2 can conquer the world in terms of production, revenues, and just sheer mass. They've done it many times now. But can they go out there and jam? I would gladly buy tickets to multiple shows if I knew I was going to get a different show each night. Would they have to sacrafice the scripted video/light show? Maybe. But the excitement that would result would be amazing. The end of one song...followed by a little noodling around..picking out notes and trying to identify the next song. Good stuff which always kept me engaged at other shows by bands with unpredictable setlists.

So I logged on tonight for the first time to review all the setlists since the start of 360. I was actually a little surprised to see how the show has evolved from its early days until now. But it has been a very slow process, and no two back-to-back shows are very different in any meaningful way. And for me, the show has evolved right back to Vertigo--I probably would have (at least marginally) enjoyed one of the earlier 360 shows.

Some specifics about the show itself: The show opened with an encouraging "Even Better". I took this as a good sign. I was actually a little dispirited by "I Will Follow", as it seems to be the main oldie they invariably trot out. But I was still into it. Then the awful "Get On Your Boots", followed by my favorite recent song by them, "Magnificent"--which was shortened and somewhat botched. Hmmmm. Now, by the end of the next 8 out of 10 (look 'em up if you want, it was business as usual). That's when I really started to get down. "Pride" was especially disappointing, and from looking around at my fellow GAers, I wasn't the only one. Throw in "Streets", "Sunday", "Miss Sarajevo", "One" "With or.." and I was seriously time warping. And let me say something specific about "All I want is You". That song is designed to be a slow burn--not one to be rushed through in the middle of a set. Do it right or don't do it at all. Same with "Bad", though that was not played. Yes, we got "Scarlet", which was totally unexpected, but too little too late.

Can these guys just jam? I absolutely love the Edge's guitar sound and would be seriously into hearing him just fill some space with it. Remember the days of the scraping guitar or endless reverb? It wasn't exactly "jamming", but at least he used to do it. I'd take that over the 736th performance of "Sunday Bloody Sunday". But I digress. As I've been saying for the last couple of days, this show was probably great for someone who has never seen U2. But it just didn't work for me this time. And I will not be going next time if it's another big-sacle production job. Nor will I support the "tour one album" and also play a set of hits concept, should they decide to go down that suspect road. Mixing it up is the only thing that will get me back.

To anyone who has stayed with this review this long, thank you. I would appreciate all thoughtful and serious feedback, both positive or negative.

So we bumped this thread to discuss static setlists and review the 360 tour? :huh:

When have you known the band to not have static setlists? And why is it just bothering you now?

This thread should be remembered as the rare thread where Muad'zin has commented on outside of rigs and gear page

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I wish they had more variety in their setlists like they did the Popmart Tour.

Right, like sometimes they'd do "desire" in the acoustic set, and sometimes they wouldn't!!!

Also, Edge switched up his karaoke song quite a bit once the tour reached Europe.

Right, like sometimes they'd do "desire" in the acoustic set, and sometimes they wouldn't!!!

Also, Edge switched up his karaoke song quite a bit once the tour reached Europe.

Exactly! And remember when they would occasionally change up the acoustic song after One?

I can understand people wanting more setlist variety. Like, they easily could've busted out Crystal Ballroom, When Love Comes to Town, or California in NYC for one of the eight shows last summer, but my guess is they probably didn't like the way the songs sounded live. Regardless, they could've done a touch more with the rotating songs there on the e-stage.

What I don't understand is people asking for U2 to jam out and have a new setlist each night, or major overhauls to the setlist. It never happened and it won't happen on a night-to-night basis.

It's like complaining your wife is blonde when she's been that way since she was born.

Anyone else wish that U2 would have found a way to stay in their early 30's while everyone else grew up?

Anyone else wish that U2 would have found a way to stay in their early 30's while everyone else grew up?

I wish Edge would have stay high long enough to record the answers to life's problems. Can you imagine the heartache he could have saved?

I wish Edge would have stay high long enough to record the answers to life's problems. Can you imagine the heartache he could have saved?

Does that mean that he's less from the future today than he was in the 90's?

They turned 50 when I was like, through the beginning of college. I wish they were more socially acceptable.

I once took my college dorm furniture to the fountain in the middle of campus, set up my living room, and hooked up music through my ~22" amp, and played U2 at 3 in the morning. It was my one blessing to my university.

They turned 50 when I was like, through the beginning of college. I wish they were more socially acceptable.

I once took my college dorm furniture to the fountain in the middle of campus, set up my living room, and hooked up music through my ~22" amp, and played U2 at 3 in the morning. It was my one blessing to my university.

Judging by the information you've provided, I was in college about 10 years before you, in the ATYCLB era. During that time it was socially acceptable to listen to U2, play U2 at parties, have a U2 poster on your wall, etc. When I would tell people I was going to a U2 concert they always thought it was awesome, or were jealous, etc.

It's like around 2007-8 U2 really fell out of favor.

Why didn't U2 delay the Lovetown tour until I was old enough to attend? :tsk:

Judging by the information you've provided, I was in college about 10 years before you, in the ATYCLB era. During that time it was socially acceptable to listen to U2, play U2 at parties, have a U2 poster on your wall, etc. When I would tell people I was going to a U2 concert they always thought it was awesome, or were jealous, etc.

It's like around 2007-8 U2 really fell out of favor.

Yeah, I was in high school in the early 2000s and although I did many things that were a source of scorn and derision, being a U2 fan was not one of them. I think that shifted while I was at university though. When the Vertigo Tour came down here in 2006 people were more envious of how many shows I went to than anything else. But Vertigo's over-exposure was souring people to the band. By the time I started postgrad in 2010 I had stopped telling people I like U2. Now it's basically my dirty musical secret.

No shit.

Probably in my top 5 things to do if I had a time machine would be to go see a Lovetown show.

WHY DON'T WE HAVE A FUCKING DVD OF THIS TOUR????
We know that proshot footage from Sydney and Dublin exist. Man, I'd love to see a full show DVD from this tour, without the stupid cutaway scenes of people talking about "Love".

I know there are many places U2 haven't ever played and we got 23(!) arena shows across 2 months but dangit, I wasn't there so they don't count :whistle:

I'm still an undergrad right now and it's uncool to like U2. I have three friends who like U2 and the rest are indifferent.

Back
Top Bottom