Why the hate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like pretty much everything U2 has done :shrug: I like Early 80s, late 80s, 90s, AND 00s. There are some songs I like less than others, but I couldn't name a U2 song that I "hate".

So, from my perspective, the negativity that sometimes exists around here surprises me. Some people become so adamant about the things they hate about U2, and you rarely see them post something positive that it makes you wonder why they're even here.

However, some of the responses are shedding a little bit of light, but there are still some people who make me think :scratch: Why waste your time here if you're just going to gripe about everything the band does?

gman said:
I think its cool for fans to praise the band. I think its cool to be critical (its called freedom of speech)
As i sed on another thread, Its the U2 (and anyone connected to the Band) can do no wrong brigade that get up my nose.
Way i see it, I been a fan for 27 odd years, if i want to say i dont like something about them, I have earned the right to do so

Oh yes Gman! I'm with ya!

BonoManiac said:
Criticism is the only way to enact positive change. If everyone just praised everything U2 did, they'd just become complacent. It's human nature: why put out your best effort if no matter what you do, fans will be behind you and support you because that's what "real" fans do.

:up::up:

U2democrat said:
I like pretty much everything U2 has done :shrug: I like Early 80s, late 80s, 90s, AND 00s. There are some songs I like less than others, but I couldn't name a U2 song that I "hate".

So, from my perspective, the negativity that sometimes exists around here surprises me. Some people become so adamant about the things they hate about U2, and you rarely see them post something positive that it makes you wonder why they're even here.

However, some of the responses are shedding a little bit of light, but there are still some people who make me think :scratch: Why waste your time here if you're just going to gripe about everything the band does?

Precisely.

Its funny. When we do the U2 Survivor polls, people are posting a lot really harsh shit about the songs they hate. I wouldn't waste my time with the hate. I'd just post something about a song I liked. But, hey, I'm wacky like that.

I honestly don't think there is anyone here who really believes that "U2 can do no wrong", as some people here like to put it. It's not all black and white. It's totally ok to critisice and state an opinion, but there is a difference between critisicm (which is an essential part of any discussion and something I'm sure the band members themselves would expect), and simply slamming, bashing, whining and bringing only negativity to any discussion. I've seen people come into every kind of thread complaining about how bad U2 are today and how good they were 20 or 25 years ago. That's not a constructive way of discussion, that's simply annoying for everyone involved.

And it's also about the phrasing, there has been a lot of rudeness and frustration here, which I don't understand. People trying to bully other people out of their opinion and into their own opinion. People trying to tell other people what to think, what to like and what to hate. People telling other people that they are idiots for liking or not liking something.

Plus personal attacks on band members. They may not be here to read those, but some fans feel protective about the band and it sucks big time having to deal with personal bashing and rudeness all the time. Especially on a U2 board, because this band is about positivity.

Why do people built their whole lives around a band? It's just a band, it's music, life is complicated enough. I mean, get a life and learn to see things in the right perspective.

jackson4.gif

Peterrrrr said:
In Sweden Bad means Bad(bath in english)

well, that makes sense :huh:

I think generally the big problem with fans of anything is that we take things personally when it comes to something we love...

Whether the criticism is valid or not, people take it way too seriously and I can guarantee that at the end of the day U2 doesn't loose any sleep over what people think of their music.

By the way, to those who think that bands are above criticism because "music is subjective", remember: Music's subjectivity does not preclude me from criticizing the band or artist themselves. It does, however, stop me from criticizing someone for liking or disliking a particlar song or album.

Therein lies the difference.

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but if all one has to say about U2 is negative or critical, I'd suggest that someone doesn't belong here, and that someone might want to consider doing something more productive with themselves than obsessing / posting / arguing over things that bug them about U2.

BonoManiac said:
By the way, to those who think that bands are above criticism because "music is subjective", remember: Music's subjectivity does not preclude me from criticizing the band or artist themselves. It does, however, stop me from criticizing someone for liking or disliking a particlar song or album.

Therein lies the difference.

I'm not saying they're above criticism! I think some people are reading more into my post than I actually said. I just think that blanket statements that "because of [whatever] album, U2 are now teh suck" when they're presented as fact are not accurate, CAN'T be accurate due to the very nature of art. Sure, it can be the opinion of individuals, but to dismiss that album as garbage period is craziness.

I admit, I like most of their catalogue, but there are a handful of songs that I'm not particularly fond of, and don't really listen to. Were the band on crack when they recorded them? Did they suffer a decrease in quality as a band by recording them? No. It's not them, it's me. I don't like those particular songs, their aesthetic doesn't appeal to me. That's it. Doesn't mean the band were off, or that they suck. It just means I don't like them. And while I may not like them, there are a hell of a lot of people who do.

I also didn't say not to criticize. It'd just be nice if some people were self-aware enough to realize where that criticism was coming from.

It is very simple.

A fan is someone who cares enough about an artist to both praise and dislike what that artist does. People care enough about U2 to not want them to do this or get away from that. It is about wanting U2 be the best they can be. How they do that is up to individual interpretation. It isn't about hate it is about wanting the best for the band.

Screwtape2 said:
It is very simple.

A fan is someone who cares enough about an artist to both praise and dislike what that artist does. People care enough about U2 to not want them to do this or get away from that. It is about wanting U2 be the best they can be. How they do that is up to individual interpretation. It isn't about hate it is about wanting the best for the band.

But that's what I'm saying. Your worst, in all likelihood, is someone else's best. So who should they be recording for?

VintagePunk said:

But that's what I'm saying. Your worst, in all likelihood, is someone else's best. So who should they be recording for?

They should record for themselves, because, ultimately, they have to do what makes them happy and try to forget about pleasing everyone. since that's never going to happen.

Still, once again, if they stray from a direction that I'm comfortable with, I have a right as a paying consumer, and a rabid fan, to criticize said direction. Why not vocalize my opinions?

I didn't think we were talking about people who both praise and criticize. I thought we were talking about people who ONLY criticize. If we don't personally fall into that category, there's no disagreement in principle, is there?

BonoManiac said:

They should record for themselves, because, ultimately, they have to do what makes them happy and try to forget about pleasing everyone. since that's never going to happen.

Still, once again, if they stray from a direction that I'm comfortable with, I have a right as a paying consumer, and a rabid fan, to criticize said direction. Why not vocalize my opinions?

Of course you do, that's not the issue.

But which sort of statement are you more comfortable with:

1) I don't like this album because ... , the direction I wish they'd taken is ... , I would have liked that a lot more.

or

2) U2 suck now. They haven't recorded a decent album in x years. They're washed up and done.

I actually enjoy reading well thought out posts that are framed in the first way. The second way is just lazy and self-indulgent, from people who think the band should always cater to their personal tastes, and when they don't, they're shit, end of story. IMO, *that* way of thinking is what's delusional.

gvox said:
I didn't think we were talking about people who both praise and criticize. I thought we were talking about people who ONLY criticize. If we don't personally fall into that category, there's no disagreement in principle, is there?

I don't believe those people really criticize everything. It might look that way but that's not how it is. I think they are fans just as much as everyone else. They are here for a reason.

VintagePunk said:

2) U2 suck now. They haven't recorded a decent album in x years. They're washed up and done.

I actually enjoy reading well thought out posts that are framed in the first way. The second way is just lazy and self-indulgent, from people who think the band should always cater to their personal tastes, and when they don't, they're shit, end of story.

People have the right to say the band suck now. That's a response to the art. It's not lazy or self-indulgent. It is a personal response to art. I think the band sucks now does that make me shit? Come on everyone can have an opinion to what U2 does. That makes them as much or even more of a fan than one who won't criticize the band. It is all about personal taste. That is what art is.

Screwtape2 said:

People have the right to say the band suck now. That's a response to the art. It's not lazy or self-indulgent. It is a personal response to art. I think the band sucks now does that make me shit? Come on everyone can have an opinion to what U2 does. That makes them as much or even more of a fan than one who won't criticize the band. It is all about personal taste. That is what art is.

Whatever. To me, those posts come off as personal wank-fests from whiny, entitled fans who think that U2 have an obligation to cater to their tastes with each and every thing they record. If that's what you enjoy though, keep reading and writing them, knock yourself out. :shrug:

VintagePunk said:

Whatever. To me, those posts come off as personal wank-fests from whiny, entitled fans who think that U2 have an obligation to cater to their tastes with each and every thing they record. If that's what you enjoy though, keep reading and writing them, knock yourself out. :shrug:

I don't think this at all. I think it's less about wanting U2 to cater to their tastes than actually, literally, not liking their current incarnation and thinking that at this point and time U2 in fact suck.

When you have a band that's been around for as long as U2 has, with a career that has spanned multiple decades, you're bound to have people that enjoy one era over another.

BonoManiac said:

I don't think this at all. I think it's less about wanting U2 to cater to their tastes than actually, literally, not liking their current incarnation and thinking that at this point and time U2 in fact suck.

When you have a band that's been around for as long as U2 has, with a career that has spanned multiple decades, you're bound to have people that enjoy one era over another.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. :up:

BonoManiac said:

Again, that's not the point I'm trying to make! Of course you're going to have people who prefer one album era over another, and, it's very reasonable to also assume that you're going to have people who outright dislike albums or eras.

But to say unequivocally "the band sucks, period" while there are millions more out there who do like them just seems irrational and over the top.

Screwtape2 said:

I don't believe those people really criticize everything. It might look that way but that's not how it is. I think they are fans just as much as everyone else. They are here for a reason.

It does appear that some are here to slag U2 at every opportunity, of course it does. We can't read their minds, if all they post is negativity then what other conclusion can we come to? And in that case, I say, why be here? Start an I HATE U2 blog, whatever, but it's misleading to assert that they have some greater noble aim of trying to steer U2 back into their definition of greatness. Well maybe they do, but I think it's kindof ridiculous to think that. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom