When U2 go into the Hall of Fame.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually Bruce Springsteen was very supportive of U2 in the old days. If they go for old guys doing their induction speech then Mick Jagger, Qunicy Jones, Springsteen, Townsend, Bowie, or Dylan. Heh. Good thing they have made great relationships with the giants of rock. I also think Springsteen is more possible then Moby just b/c he knows U2 and company more than Moby. Moby just met them last year if I remember correctly though he did list Achtung Baby as his favorite album (smart man).

Will REM be in the Hall of Fame in the same year? Didn't REM come out with an album at the same time as U2's first? If Stipe ain't busy, he would probably do it.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Stipe is a contemporary, and from what I have heard (much discussion on this) contemporaries do not induct each other. I still think the older person is a stretch but who knows. I will bet it's one of the younger bands, Radiohead or Oasis, if it is an old guy, my money is on Mick Jagger.

U2 has been famous for many years now, and 'knows' just about everybody, but Jagger, Oasis and Radiohead are very close personal friends.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-01-2002).]

Destiny's Child would be a choice. They'll still be looking hot by then.

Henry Rollins would also be another choice. He's a big fan and knows their music real well. A forefather of punk...

Andrea Corr... hehe

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I think REM's first album came in around 1983ish.

I would say Moby or Gwen are fine choices. Not Oasis-- too unpredictable [will Liam show up? will he be sober?].

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
Henry Rollins would also be another choice. He's a big fan and knows their music real well. A forefather of punk...

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

When I originally said Springsteen, I said so simply because I think he is the R&R poet of his generation as Bono is for his. Dylan, Springsteen and Bono are the ones I think of as our R&R poets. Although each is very different, there are also many parallels and I think I was looking more for musical parallels in terms of what each accomplished for their generation than I was for someone who is a fan and directly influenced by U2 (I jumped into this thread before really considering the inductee/inductor patterns). U2 concerts are often compared to Springsteen shows in terms of the energy and the emotional connection between artist/audience. And Springsteen is indeed an excellent speaker--we just haven't seen him in that role for awhile. They are also friends, or at least friendly--I've read a number of references to that although not recently.

However, I'm certainly not attached to the idea--it was just the first thing that popped into my head. But I agree, now that I think about it, that Jagger would be a better choice. And I also thought of Radiohead as well.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
Stipe is a contemporary, and from what I have heard (much discussion on this) contemporaries do not induct each other.

Mick Jagger inducted The Beatles.
Jeff Beck inducted Rod Stewart.
Paul McCartney inducted John Lennon.
Neil Young inducted Paul McCartney.
Lou Reed inducted Frank Zappa.
James Taylor inducted Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Eddie Vedder might be a good choice. He has toured with U2, and he already has inducted Neil Young, plus he is a Politically and Socially aware artist like Stipe...I definitely think it will have to be someone who is either in, or eventually going to be in the Hall of Fame.

Maybe The Pope!

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
Eddie Vedder might be a good choice. He has toured with U2, and he already has inducted Neil Young, plus he is a Politically and Socially aware artist like Stipe...I definitely think it will have to be someone who is either in, or eventually going to be in the Hall of Fame.

Maybe The Pope!

I could get behind this one.

For anyone wondering about the Bruce Springsteen/U2 connection, they really go back a long way. A LONG way. From Pimm Jal d la Parra's U2 Live:a concert documentary

June 9, 1981
"Bruce Springsteen, having just completed the European leg of his "River" tour, postpones his return to America in order to attend this concert. He watches from the wings and meets the band after the show."

They also performed Springsteen's song "My Hometown" on June 29, 1985 in Dublin. They definitely have a history with him, but I don't what their relationship is like with him now. No matter what, both Bono and Bruce are amazing singer/songwriters so I can see the bond there.

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 03-01-2002).]

Vedder would be good if you want someone to ramble on... But then he would probably be singing in the final jam performance and the comparisons to Scott Stapp would never end for him as a result.

------------------

Vedder would be good if you want someone to ramble on... But then he would probably be singing in the final jam performance and the comparisons to Scott Stapp would never end for him as a result.

I somehow don't think that Eddie is sitting up and night worrying about people comparing him to Scott Stapp.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Destiny's Child would be a choice. They'll still be looking hot by then.

Andrea Corr... hehe

Please excuse my stupidity here....

I assume that you are being sarcastic and you are actually quite funny with your suggestions, but I just wanted to clarify.

Look forward to your reply

Originally posted by MBH:
Please excuse my stupidity here....

I assume that you are being sarcastic and you are actually quite funny with your suggestions, but I just wanted to clarify.

Look forward to your reply

All I can say is it BETTER be a joke.
tongue.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I'm not particularly a Springsteen fan...but he and U2 go back a long ways and have been friends for a long time. I thought that was common knowledge...but I guess its not. It could be that they are just not as public about their friendship as say...U2 and R.E.M. are....so maybe it is overlooked and not as many people are aware of it...

The point was if Springsteen really wanted to..he would.

I just hope that if its a young up and coming artist its not a crap young and coming artist...someone we know in our guts has staying power and won't embarrass anyone!!!
smile.gif

dream wanderer

most likely-Michael Stipe
most likely, but unlikely-Bruce Springsteen
most coolest but won't happen-Eddie Vedder
most uncoolest and won't happen-Scott Stapp
most coolest that might happen-Sting
most coolest that won't happen-Thom Yorke

just an opinion.
smile.gif

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
most likely-Michael Stipe
most likely, but unlikely-Bruce Springsteen
most coolest but won't happen-Eddie Vedder
most uncoolest and won't happen-Scott Stapp
most coolest that might happen-Sting
most coolest that won't happen-Thom Yorke

just an opinion.
smile.gif

I think I have to agree.

------------------

Top Choices to induct U2 into the HOF

1. Sting
2. Oasis
3. Eddie Vedder
4. Michael Stipe
5. Elvis Costello
6. Springsteen
7. Jagger
8. Gabriel
9. Jann Wenner

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
Stipe is a contemporary, and from what I have heard (much discussion on this) contemporaries do not induct each other.

Mick Jagger inducted The Beatles.
Jeff Beck inducted Rod Stewart.
Paul McCartney inducted John Lennon.
Neil Young inducted Paul McCartney.
Lou Reed inducted Frank Zappa.
James Taylor inducted Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Most of those were in the very early days of the RNR Hall before it had a tradition. I am still against any old guy, but if it is, it would be Jagger. It will depend on a lot of things, what is appropriate and who is hot at the time, who they may be 'down' with then, etc, but one thing it will NOT depend on is what we think. We can have fun and take bets but none of us is really right or wrong because it's not up to us LOL.

I would like Elvis Costello
I think he's a bit closer to the band then Michael Stipe and they are the 2 people who seem most likely to me to be able to give an intelligent + funny speech that shows respect for MUSIC

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I guess Billy just makes sense to me since he would be a "younger" face. Also, there are the covered songs and credited thanks in cd booklets.

Either way, it would be cool if a massive U2 pilgrimage took place and the RnR Hall of Fame had a magnetic Mecca-like pull. Any idea how open the ceremonies are to fans/public?

I don't get the Sting choice at all--I like Sting and all, but musically he's become very Adult Contemporary Rock and not even remotely connected to U2 today (again, musically speaking--I think he's friendly with the band and everything). But Elvis Costello would be excellent.

Originally posted by u2sangel:
I think Elvis Costello is a perfect choice!He loves u2 and is Irish himself.Van Morrison would be great too!(did someone mention him already?)

I think that might be a good choice. He's a friend of the band, and a very articulate guy. My money is on Stipe though....I wouldn't be surprised if Bono inducts REM either.

Back
Top Bottom