Week 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
U2 currentley in the top 30 for week number 7, which imo is quite good and shows the album could be starting to level off, (i.e. dropping only 5 rather than 8 etc etc),

i would like to see where ATYCLB and HTDAAB where both at, at week 7?

U2 currentley in the top 30 for week number 7, which imo is quite good and shows the album could be starting to level off, (i.e. dropping only 5 rather than 8 etc etc),

i would like to see where ATYCLB and HTDAAB where both at, at week 7?

It might be helpful if you add a country to such information?

Guys it's down to #33 in todays mid's, so this is officially turning into their worst performing album here since October - no kidding. ATYCLB was the previous fastest faller in UK but that was in the last quarter so had much higher sales. & anyway it came back with a great run & didn't go below top 30 untill wk 25, selling ~1m by end of '01. Then Pop but even Pop didn't drop below top 30 untill wk 13 (1-3-4-6-13-17-16-13-7-12-18-21-31). Pop's sales at this point would probably now be just ahead of No Line's. Pop did 152k 1st wk & ended the year as the 25th best seller with ~370k - their worst performer since October.

The album has sold 268,000 copies in the UK. It's sales will probably be below 5,000 this week...the album is struggling to even hit platinum right now

Whats gone wrong since the last album do you think? decline in sales cant be blamed to this extent. i think its mainly due to the first single not being a 'hit'. i really did think downloads would have made the first single #1 regardless of what the song was like considering the sucess vertigo had with downloads.

Whats gone wrong since the last album do you think? decline in sales cant be blamed to this extent. i think its mainly due to the first single not being a 'hit'. i really did think downloads would have made the first single #1 regardless of what the song was like considering the sucess vertigo had with downloads.

U2 disappeared for four and a half years and came back with a song most people thought was terrible. If U2 came back with Magnificent the album would probably be selling closer to 450,000 than 300,000. U2 were too confident with this record and it has cost them dearly

it will be interesting to see how gree day do with their new set. they have been away even longer than U2. unless they have a hit on the scale of boulevard of broken dreams, i cant see their album surpassing 3M

Green Day's success will really depend on their singles, a hit single and they could have great sales

On a positive note, NLOTH last week entered the top 100 selling albums worldwide since 2006 at 98. U218 is at 25

U2 disappeared for four and a half years and came back with a song most people thought was terrible. If U2 came back with Magnificent the album would probably be selling closer to 450,000 than 300,000. U2 were too confident with this record and it has cost them dearly

I guess the term dearly holds different meaning to you, even if we went by your estimate that it cost them 150 000 album sales in the uk that at most cost them what 3 or 4 dollars an album so maybe a million bucks, album sales mean zero these days, do you think they care that they might sell a few less $20 albums when ther selling millions of concert tickets at 40 to 250 bucks a pop. When all is said and done compare what the gross album sales are from one of the if not the top selling album of 2009 and the final gross of the 360 tour it will be a fraction of the tour (in fact the merchandise sales of the 360 tour which are not even included in the tour gross will probably exceed album gross) at the end of the day the dollars that might be lost on album sales from a dud lead single wouldn't even fuel up edges yacht for the week.

just to clarify, new album sales are still important to newer acts but I mean really who bought a 360 concert ticket because they want to see boots played live.

I think Irishteen meant that the lead single cost them dearly with album sales figures in terms of reputation and being the 'biggest band in the world' rather than concerns over profit. As we know, album sales are only 1/8 of an income. The tour is where its at.

I think Irishteen meant that the lead single cost them dearly with album sales figures in terms of reputation and being the 'biggest band in the world' rather than concerns over profit. As we know, album sales are only 1/8 of an income. The tour is where its at.

yeah thats fine, but does this mean U2 is finally turning into the rolling stones?

yeah thats fine, but does this mean U2 is finally turning into the rolling stones?

:lol: when was the last time RS had a best selling (or to be fair, "one of the best selling") album of the year?
A Bigger Bang after an 8 year break sold just 2,5mln copies worlwide and that was back in 2005 when HTDAAB was close to selling 9mln.

In an economic environment that's being compared to the Great Depression, U2 are far and away the world's "biggest band". It's just not even close. All Album sales are down...yet U2 have outsold the competition worldwide by 2-1. While the stadium shows are supposedly allowing "lower" ticket prices, I know I had to shell out $550 for two premium seats in Atlanta, and I did not hesitate, despite being VERY MUCH affected by the economic disaster that is 2008/2009/???? So have MILLIONS of other fans around the world, thus all the added shows. Over half the announced shows are SOLD OUT, and many of the remaining tickets on tours are "singles" only in the nosebleeds.

One huge factor in NLOTH's worldwide sales success is that sales outside of the traditional U2 mass markets, the U.S. and the UK, have apparently grown relative to the % of sales this album. The album has faded into the 25-35 range on the UK charts at the moment...yet it just was published today that NLOTH is Number 1 in Europe for the SIXTH straight week! In looking at the International Charts on Billboard, along with the "Charts all over the World" website, NLOTH is presently in the Top 10 in sales in some 20+ countries...and in the Top 5 in nearly half of those countries...with several places still showing the album at #1.

It's quite possible that U2 have not gained many fans in the UK and the US...or that those two countries have the largest populations with access to "free" copies of NLOTH. Outside of those two markets, however, NLOTH is performing incredibly well...perhaps better than ever, I don't know. This tour shows just how far and wide U2's following is, folks, and I personally believe the HUGE disparity between recent ticket sales and album sales is the direct result of illegal downloading. It's just so easy to get U2's music for free...and depressed economic times result in more people taking advantage of that IMHO. My own 10-year old daughter was blasting NLOTH (her favorite song at the moment) from her room just yesterday, and I checked in on her to see how she was streaming it, since I knew the CD was in the car. She was playing it from a website, but before I could tell her not to go to any sites to try to download the album or tracks, she showed me that she already HAD DONE JUST THAT...with all 11 songs plus NLOTH2 on her PC! I asked her where she got these...and she said she learned how to do it at SCHOOL from a friend.

Face it, if it's that freakin easy, it's happening at an even worse rate than the "experts" think (over 1M illegal downloads of NLOTH estimated so far). Today, I'm taking my daughter to a record store where she is going to buy her own copy of NLOTH with her own money. She also told me she has all the songs from NLOTH at her Mom's house on her computer...from some site called "Limewire"?sp? and another she couldn't remember.

Anyway, back to my point. NLOTH is doing incredibly well worldwide. There is no hit single on the radio, either, which makes that more amazing. If Magnificent is the hit that fans and even critics think it will be, the album could be a strong seller worldwide right up until the tour begins in late June. About that tour...hitting many of the largest cities across the world in stadiums is not my personal preference...I like arenas much more. Still, the buzz and subsequent sales bump from the tour could be larger, keeping in mind that this is relative to 2009, not past tours, with each show. Having anywhere from 50,000 - 100,000 in attendance...in some cases for 2 nights...could have a larger effect on sales than hitting a 15,000 seat arena. We've already seen that a sales bump of 5000-10000 units can cause a huge jump in chart position these days. Still, with all the issues going against additional legal sales of NLOTH, getting more sales for the album in 2009 is not a hill...it's a mountain of obstacles.

Somewhere in this rant, however, I meant to show that U2 are NOT the "Rolling Stones" of 2009. They're still U2, and they still are on top of the music world!

Thanks Believe, wonderful post!
But the most important thing as you wrote is: "If Magnificent is the hit that fans and even critics think it will be, the album could be a strong seller worldwide right up until the tour begins in late June".
I really hope that this song become a world hit, because it is great.
But up to now the airplay is not increasing very much. It needs a video soon and good promotion.
Anyway I hope that with the success of the album all the trolls will disappear from this place.

I don't think U2 are at the Rolling Stones level or even close, if you were to come up with a list of acts by popularity you'd probably end up with

Coldplay (Massively popular)
Madonna/Metallica etc (Strong popularity, large fan base)
Bruce Springsteen (Quite popular, and respected)
Rolling Stones (Not popular at all and gets by solely on their past)

I think U2 may have fallen from Coldplay level popularity down to more of a Madonna, Metallica level but they're still miles ahead of the Rolling Stones

U2 have already outsold The Killers, Kayne West, Guns n Roses, Pearl Jam and many other big acts, so U2 are still big just not as big as they were with the last album

Would coldplay sell the amount they have at this current time though? i really dont think they would, also they cant be that popular as you can still buy tickets for ALL there UK shows (as you can with U2 of course), but coldplay are english and if they where more popular now than U2 then surley there tickets would have been easily sold out now?

Would coldplay sell the amount they have at this current time though? i really dont think they would, also they cant be that popular as you can still buy tickets for ALL there UK shows (as you can with U2 of course), but coldplay are english and if they where more popular now than U2 then surley there tickets would have been easily sold out now?

Coldplay only have 4 albums, demand for their shows is a lot lower than U2's because people go to see U2 for the last 12 albums of their career. I mean we all know the Rolling Stones sell out stadiums but they're hardly popular

Album sales aren't down that much due to the recession, I mean we all know there's a recession on but album sales aren't too bad, they're down about 10% which is standard for each year since 2004

Coldplay only have 4 albums, demand for their shows is a lot lower than U2's because people go to see U2 for the last 12 albums of their career.

.......and because U2 are sooooo much better than Coldplay.
And with many hits every album and fans of every generation.
I don't want to say that Coldplay are not a good band but
I want to see them still doing the same pop music in 2025!

People U2 are not even close to the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones haven't put out anything relevant since "Love Is Strong" from 1994. Since then Mick Jagger has over- produced every song by the Stones in the last decade to complete embarrassment. The Bigger Bang CD was 16-17 tracks and the Stones played a total of 4-5 songs the entire tour with only 1-2 songs making a setlist. As a U2 fan I would be pissed if I paid money to see the new tour promoting a new album & U2 plays 1-2 songs. I'm going to see U2 3 times this tour (Chicago, Houston, Vegas) to hear & feel: NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, UC, Boots, & Breathe Live. Stones fans are seeing their band as a reflection of how great the Stones used to be.

Albums just do not sale anymore. People just download them illegally or they listen to the songs on the web. Its sad but most people just don't even listen to new music (real music, not manufactured top 40) & talk about it like people use too. Its a dying medium. Camera shots cant even stay focused for longer than 2 seconds anymore at the movies. People want things now & quickly.

I think its pretty amazing if U2 sells 5 million copies of NLOTH worldwide after the tour is over. The days of 10 million + albums is long gone. Once U2 gets the tour going they'll be on the minds of people. This tour is going to be 2 years with another album coming out & the NLOTH are going to destroy live. It was just a month ago we saw this:

YouTube - U2- Breathe live

just to clarify, new album sales are still important to newer acts but I mean really who bought a 360 concert ticket because they want to see boots played live.

I bought a vertigo concert ticket because i wanted to see vertigo played live thats for sure. I would have been more than happy if they had played HTDAAB from start to finish...twice. and nothing else.
i'm nowhere near as interested to see the NLOTH stuff live though, not as good an album IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom