US Politics XXXVII: hiiiii Kevin, I’m your biggest fan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, what does this mean?

Second, did I make a post here about the midterms? I don't believe I did. Can you show me?

You confidently and smugly predicted a blowout, then when that failed to happen, you disappeared from here.

You’ve unsurprisingly fallen for the latest GOP moral panic now that abortion has become a political liability.

You know nothing about drag. Think of drag as stand up comedy — some of it is fine for kids, some of it isn’t, but in a free society isn’t it up to parents to make that decision? I can take my child to ultraviolet R rated movies if I so choose.

You also know nothing about trans issues and are falling for the predictable right wing distortions on the issue.

Do you know any trans people?

And if there’s one thing I won’t tolerate, in here or IRL, is the slur “groomer.”

Drawing this line right now.

Maybe you think the sexual abuse of minors is an effective tool to whip up political panic now that you’ve lost the term “baby killers.” But those of us who actually know victims of sexual abuse won’t stand for it. Not for a second.

the person who attempted to abuse me when i was 19 did not teach health, wear drag, or was outwardly LGBTQ+.

he was a clean cut, highly respected member of the community. the proverbial "oh he would never do something like that" kinda guy.

until he did.

and then it was discovered that he had done it, and attempted to do it, dozens of times before - going back years.

but go on about drag shows.

A massive chunk of Oregon is conservative. I would never assume someone is liberal just because they live in Oregon. It has a fairly similar makeup to Colorado where a couple of big cities come to define the whole state.

You confidently and smugly predicted a blowout, then when that failed to happen, you disappeared from here.

Show me the post please. I've searched the recent Politics threads here and cannot find it. I'd love to see it.

Do you know any trans people?

I do, in fact. Two of my wife's cousins. Not well, of course (does anyone know their spouse's cousins well?), but I "know" them. They were at our wedding, etc. Why do you ask?

My dude, this is what we call an ad hoc.

Did you not read my post? I said he likely is because he lives in Oregon (just as someone in Texas is mathematically likely a Republican), but that doesn't matter. You missed that part.

And if there’s one thing I won’t tolerate, in here or IRL, is the slur “groomer.”

Drawing this line right now.

Maybe you think the sexual abuse of minors is an effective tool to whip up political panic now that you’ve lost the term “baby killers.” But those of us who actually know victims of sexual abuse won’t stand for it. Not for a second.

Sorry, but you don't get to make the rules. If I see someone manipulating and exploiting children for sexual purposes, I'll call them a groomer. The sexual abuse of minors, like allowing 9-year-olds to transition, is in fact something I'm going to stand up against. Sorry that bothers you.

Never said he was. But let's be honest, if he's a teacher in Oregon, it's likely. My point was the connection between speaking out against this assignment and an increasing number of examples of things like this, and Kamala Harris's husband saying that this kind of anger is what started the Holocaust. And no pushback to this.

Did you not read my post? I said he likely is because he lives in Oregon (just as someone in Texas is mathematically likely a Republican), but that doesn't matter. You missed that part.

Mathematically it's about a 1 in 3 chance he's a registered Democrat if he lives in Oregon...so it's not mathematically "likely".

From Oregon fall 2022 voter registration numbers:
nonaffiliates comprised 34.4% of all voters, compared with Democrats at 34.2% and Republicans at 24.7%; the Independent Party came in at 4.7%.

Show me the post please. I've searched the recent Politics threads here and cannot find it. I'd love to see it.

i may have you confused with someone else who has a lot of numbers in their name. if so, my apologies.

my guess is, however, that you were likely confident -- as many of us were! -- that the D's would lose big in 2022. but Joe Biden proved us all wrong.

I do, in fact. Two of my wife's cousins. Not well, of course (does anyone know their spouse's cousins well?), but I "know" them. They were at our wedding, etc. Why do you ask?

because if you knew what trans people go through, and have gone through, in order to accept themselves and to be accepted by society, you'd have a more nuanced and compassionate take on this entire issue, and you wouldn't toss around the term "groomer" when the only actual example of grooming thats come up in this thread is the awful thing that happened to Headache.

you should apologize to him.

LemonMelon answered this.

and i had a typo. should have sad "ad hom."

Sorry, but you don't get to make the rules. If I see someone manipulating and exploiting children for sexual purposes, I'll call them a groomer. The sexual abuse of minors, like allowing 9-year-olds to transition, is in fact something I'm going to stand up against. Sorry that bothers you

and this is where if you actually knew trans folks, or have been to a drag show, or knew anything at all beyond what you read on twitter, you'd know what is and what isn't grooming, and that it's wild, inaccurate, hateful application to literally anyone who speaks in favor of protecting trans kids or queer kids is actually kind of Doug's point, distorted as his actual quote has become on the twitter right. you've proved his point? when we call people we don't like slurs like groomer, we dehumanize them. when we pass legislation like "don't say gay" we dehumanize them and try to write them out of public life.

literally everyone here is like, "that teacher was inappropriate and should be fired." you are taking a single, easy example and trying to pretend that there's some sort of systemic problem here.

you wrote:

Cherry-picking, really? Between this story, and child drag shows (which are perverted and not normal, no matter how much you guys here mock the opposition to them), and teachers encouraging their students to experiment with their gender, and so-called "experts" saying that wanting your child to grow up to be cisgender is "unethical,".... there's a disturbing trend, and as a parent, it's one that I'm going to fight against when I see it. This goes well beyond basic sex-ed. This is grooming at worst, and weird and gross at best.

none of this is "grooming." all of this is the worst, most bad faith take you can possibly have, mixed with a huge amount of ignorance that shows the research skills of someone who browses Twitter briefly and gets upset and looks for a way to reach out and own some libs (which is the point of right wing Twitter). you don't have examples, you have feelings and isolated incidents that are already suspect in their framing, such as teachers "encouraging" students to experiment with their gender. what evidence do you have beyond Libs of Tik Tok? this isn't systemic, "encouraging experimentation" isn't part of any official school policy.

also, this:

and so-called "experts" saying that wanting your child to grow up to be cisgender is "unethical,"

would love to see the source for this quote, because i think we have a distortion here. as a gay person, i do think it's unethical to pressure or force your child to be cis or straight or something other than their identity. there are times when parents are their child's first bully -- and, in some cases, their only bully. students need resources and students need places to go when the problem starts at home. do you know how many homeless kids are LGBTQ+? do you know what the rates of suicide are for trans youth? do you know how many religious kids were sent to christian camps to make them straight and lived lives of shame and misery? can we agree that this is a bad thing?

this is the actual problem that schools are trying to address. there are children who need help, and helping children is not "grooming" -- which is just the most disgusting thing i can think of to call this. and this is where my rage comes out.

i grew up in the 80s and 90s and if maybe just once i had been given a positive example of a gay person somewhere in the media or in the books that we read maybe i wouldn't have hated myself for being gay for so long and been in the closet for as long as i was. literally, all i can think of is Pedro Zamora from Real World) and hadn't been subjected to what was absolutely homophobic sex ed that gave no information on at least the mechanics of gay sex (and this was in a blue state!) that's not fucking grooming! that's information that i could have used to protect myself. i didn't have the internet in those days. all i had was a society that told me that gay was bad, that gay was a pejorative for literally everything, and that "queer" was the last word you heard before someone punched you in the face. and i could pass! i was not obviously gay at all as a teenager. it was way, way worse for other teenagers. i remember two athletes talking about trailing one of the obviously gay kids in my school in their car as he walked down the road and they called slurs and threw trash at him.

that's grooming. grooming for a lifetime of mental health issues and suicidal tendencies.

Between this story, and child drag shows (which are perverted and not normal, no matter how much you guys here mock the opposition to them),

honestly, here, fuck off. you don't know what you're talking about. drag queens are, at the end of the day, clowns. they are adults in makeup and costumes and they sing songs and dance and make jokes in order to entertain. it's performance. of course some of it is inappropriate for children. you know what? Chris Rock's latest standup special on Nextflix was far more child-unfriendly than any drag show I've ever been to, and i've seen Trixie and Katya live on stage. and guess what? both were brilliant, and as a parent, i should have the choice to show or shield my child from either. you don't get to do that for me.

what do you think happens when a 9-year old transitions?

One day, little Billy was wandering through the forest. He had been in this forest a few times in the past, but not recently. As he was walking, he saw a big fat beehive sitting under a low tree branch. This beehive was large, since many bees had lived there in the past. But a lot of the bees had left for other, newer hives and bigger forests, and the hive was a bit too big for the small number of bees who still lived there. But the bees still liked their little corner of the forest and kept the hive looking nice and tidy.

Billy saw this beehive, and, since Billy was a mean-hearted little boy, decided he was going to have some fun messing with the bees. He left the forest, and walked all the way past his home, to the far-away Vulpine Lands, where dark, creepy evil monsters lived. He went to the house of his friend Tucker. Tucker was another very mean-spirited boy, who liked to make up false stories and hurt people for fun. Even though the whole forest knew that little Tucker didn't really believe any of the lies that he made up, he could still always find someone who would believe his make-believe stories. A lot of these gullible people would even come to Tucker's home in the forest and Tucker would be happy to give them one of his sticks. Tucker loved to take tiny little sticks and turn them into big huge clubs that could be used to hurt the people Tucker didn't like, and the people who listened to Tucker also wanted to hurt those people that Tucker hurt, because they all wanted to be just like Tucker. Through using his lies and encouraging others to also use them to hurt people, Tucker became one of the most powerful little boys in Vulpine Land.

Tucker didn't know about the beehive that Billy saw, but Billy knew that he could use Tucker's sticks anyways to hurt the bees. Billy got one of Tucker's sticks and started to head back to the forest with a big smug grin on his face.

"I'll show those stupid bees," thought Billy, relishing the idea. "I'll pop their oblivious little beehive and they won't see it coming."

Billy finally arrived back at the beehive, with his Tucker stick made from lies, and swung as hard as he could. It landed with a crack - Billy was thrilled.

"Stupid bees. This stick will really hurt them, and they won't be able to handle it," he thought, very pleased with his swing. "Someone really needs to teach these pathetic bees a lesson. Today it's my job to do it!"

Billy kept swinging, although he had wet noodles for arms and could hardly even handle the Tucker stick properly. He mostly missed wildly, but occasionally landed a glancing blow on the beehive. But even though the hive wasn't taking much damage, Billy was very pleased with himself.

"These bees make honey for people that Tucker told me were bad, so these bees need a good beat down just like the one they're getting!" thought Billy, as his next swing flew harmlessly about 3 feet to the right of the beehive.

As you can imagine, the bees didn't take very kindly to their hive being disturbed. A few of the bees got quite annoyed when the Tucker stick invaded their beehive, so they flew out and approached Billy.

"You're just a bunch of stupid, dumb bees who just think crazy things and only buzz around at each other in your dumb hive. I'm bigger, smarter, and better than you, and you're too pathetic to do anything about it," said Billy to the bees.

One of the bees wasted no time in stinging Billy.

"Ouch!" he said. "That doesn't matter. I have this Tucker stick," and Billy swung his Tucker stick right at the bees.

Of course, Tucker sticks are cheap, ridiculous, flimsy, and unwieldy, so the bees easily avoided his clumsy swings. Billy really was determined to show those bees who was the smartest and best creature in the forest. But the bees were not about to let some mean, stupid little boy like Billy ruin their hive. Individually, they were all much smarter than Billy, and as a hive they could take him down easily.

Sadly, Billy was too dumb to think ahead that far, so he kept swinging like an ogre. The bees had had enough of Billy's stupid made-up crap, and started to cleverly sting him back on spots that really hurt. The spots where little Billy had been stung swelled up quickly, and Billy staggered backwards. But he was convinced he was winning, because he was too stupid to realize otherwise.

"One or two more swings will do it," thought Billy, as he struggled now to even lift his Tucker stick. "and these morally corrupt lib wonk rube bees will be totally owned." The bees continued to sting him.

"These stupid pathetic bees can't outsmart me, I'm a human with a Tucker stick! That makes me the king of the forest!"

There were so many stings now all over his body that Billy looked and felt like a human pin cushion. Pain seared all over, but he still mustered up all his strength for one last swing. Billy closed his eyes and swung his arms as hard as he could, absolutely certain that he was smashing the beehive to pieces, even though in reality he wasn't even able to get the Tucker stick up off the ground anymore.

As the bee stings kept coming, little Billy laid down on the ground, convinced of his decisive victory.

"I won," he thought, as his entire face swelled up into a grotesque masque. "I showed those stupid, pathetic bees who's really the smartest and best creature of the forest. I smashed that fucking beehive, and now I'm the king. I'm the greatest, smartest, and coolest boy in the whole forest."

Billy's eyes swelled up so large that he could no longer see. The bees were relentless.

"I sure owned those bees. Tucker will be so proud of me," thought Billy with enormous self-satisfaction, as his throat swelled shut and his airway closed off.

Last edited:
Cherry-picking, really? Between this story, and child drag shows

You lose an audience right there. “Child drag shows” are not an issue of national societal concern. They are not happening left and right in society. You, however, have received this type of news in your media feed.

If the folks in that local community have an issue with it, they should talk amongst themselves at the local community level. This is not some endemic situation, you’ve just been had by the media.

All I'm going to say is that I've seen a little bit too much wokeism in this thread. I don't have specifics or even know it wokeism means but I've just seen a little too much of it.

Sorry, but you don't get to make the rules. If I see someone manipulating and exploiting children for sexual purposes, I'll call them a groomer. The sexual abuse of minors, like allowing 9-year-olds to transition, is in fact something I'm going to stand up against. Sorry that bothers you.

I'm just going to say this: I sure wish your side were this up in arms when it comes to children being massacred in school shootings. Or having to have active shooter drills and lockdowns as part of their daily school routine. Imagine how much safer children, and our country at large, for that matter, would be as a result.

Everyone else already echoed everything I would've said in response to your nonsense, so I'll just refer you back to reading their posts.

I'ma just leave this here

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/15/politics/oregon-secession-idaho-partisan-divides/index.html

John Day, Oregon (CNN)Matt McCaw cringes if you say the word "secessionist" around him.

A native of eastern Oregon, McCaw is a mild-mannered, former high school math teacher who fosters children to help his community.

"We don't think of ourselves as a secessionist movement. We see ourselves as a self-determination movement," McCaw said of the Greater Idaho Movement, which seeks to move the Idaho state line west to include more than half of Oregon.

What would have previously been brushed off as a fringe proposition to add the predominantly Republican region of eastern Oregon into conservative Idaho has lunged forward in the Idaho state legislature. There have been plenty of other attempts across the country to break off pieces of states to try to join more politically analogous ones, but this one has advanced the furthest. The measure passed the state House last month and advanced to the state Senate, where it sits in committee, with the session expected to wrap by the end of March.

Critics see such efforts as a symptom of a bigger problem facing the US post Covid-19 pandemic -- unprecedented hostility toward those who don't share the same politics.

I'm just going to say this: I sure wish your side were this up in arms when it comes to children being massacred in school shootings. Or having to have active shooter drills and lockdowns as part of their daily school routine. Imagine how much safer children, and our country at large, for that matter, would be as a result.

Everyone else already echoed everything I would've said in response to your nonsense, so I'll just refer you back to reading their posts.
This times one million.

France’s Macron skirts parliament to force through unpopular retirement reform
https://apnews.com/article/france-r...cron-garbage-07455d88d10bf7ae623043e4d05090de

PARIS (AP) — French President Emmanuel Macron ordered his prime minister to wield a special constitutional power Thursday that skirts parliament to force through a highly unpopular bill raising the retirement age from 62 to 64 without a vote.

His calculated risk set off a clamor among lawmakers, who began singing the national anthem even before Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne arrived in the lower chamber. She spoke forcefully over their shouts, acknowledging that Macron’s unilateral move will trigger quick motions of no-confidence in his government.

...Macron has made the proposed pension changes the key priority of his second term, arguing that reform is needed to keep the pension system from diving into deficit as France, like many richer nations, faces lower birth rates and longer life expectancy.

Macron decided to invoke the special power during a Cabinet meeting at the Elysee presidential palace, just a few minutes before the scheduled vote in France’s lower house of parliament, because he had no guarantee of a majority.

...Marine Le Pen said her far-right National Rally party would file a no-confidence motion, and Communist lawmaker Fabien Roussel said such a motion is “ready” on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom