US Politics XXVII: Orange Super Spreader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually genuinely believe that Christie had a long time to think in the ICU and probably pulled a full on Charlie Crist and said “I can’t do this anymore” and decided to be honest.

That doesn’t excuse him and he’s not forgiven, but I don’t think his comments are a political pivot.

Probably wasn't allowed any chocolate in ICU and therefore realized what a gave error not wearing a mask was.

Big T

mrtrock.gif

I actually genuinely believe that Christie had a long time to think in the ICU and probably pulled a full on Charlie Crist and said “I can’t do this anymore” and decided to be honest.

That doesn’t excuse him and he’s not forgiven, but I don’t think his comments are a political pivot.

I’m sure there’s some sincerity in there, although I’m certain he knew better than he’s letting on.

But he also knows that he can turn that sincerity into a career pivot.

You're so handsome when you smile? I think that woman is suffering from some pandemic related loneliness. And needs new glasses.

Her ears are OK though. Looks like she's voting for Biden as she doesn't like what Trump is saying.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/...p-hes-handsome-but-shes-voting-biden-11713025
Overall, Dale said, Trump hasn't earned her vote.

"He's very combative and he doesn't believe in science, and that's a big concern to me," she said. "And by his own words, he knows more than the [military] generals, knows more than the public-health experts, knows more than anybody. I believe Joe Biden will listen to the experts."

But she really meant it when she complimented the president's grin.

"I believe the man has a very nice smile; there was no reason not to comment on it," she said. "Smiles are important to me. I like nice teeth."

Last edited:
Some crappy-ish polls today, nothing really high quality but the IBD/TIPP one that has Biden up only 5-6 nationally raised my blood pressure.

Also, WHY do pollsters bother polling places like Hawaii to tell us that a candidate is up 33 points? What a waste of time.

Some crappy-ish polls today, nothing really high quality but the IBD/TIPP one that has Biden up only 5-6 nationally raised my blood pressure.

Also, WHY do pollsters bother polling places like Hawaii to tell us that a candidate is up 33 points? What a waste of time.

Ugh. I hate this. Do we seriously need polls of MD, NJ, HI, IN, etc... That aside. We had a TON of polls yesterday, so we may be a little lighter today. Biden's average for the day matched the average of Biden +10.5. That's a good thing. The USC tracking poll ticked down one point and IBD/TIPP dropped by about 2. IBD has been a bit right leaning. They are touting that they should get credit for predicting Trump's victory in 2016. But as Nate Silver points out, they had their final national poll at Trump +2, and Clinton won the national vote by 2.5. But lets just say their house effect is probably around 2 points (maybe a little more). That would put them around USC's numbers that we are seeing. They had a mid Sept poll with Biden +6, and an Oct. 1st with Biden +3. This is when A rated pollsters were closer to +8 to +11. Now we have them at +6 today, and yesterday they were at +8, but we had three A rated polls at +11, +11, and +10.

This may just be a blip in their trend and they will be back to 8 or 9 tomorrow.
Like I said yesterday, I figured the national numbers would drift down a bit over the next week or two. I'm hoping that means drifting down to +9ish and not lower. Biden has been riding a high here ever since the debates and Covid diagnosis. So I figured it would be a bit of a short-term bump. We may be coming off the Biden upswing from the past few weeks, and will see a little dip, possibly seeing it swing back up in week - post town halls

I'm looking for more GA, PA, TX, and AZ polls. OH and IA wouldn't hurt either.

looking at the big picture, that poll's probably just an outlier.

the main reason they poll in those foregone-conclusion states is to give university math/stats majors some experience. and they're usually paid for by some local news affiliate so that they can fill 5 minutes of the evening news talking about the results.

I didn't like that Trafalgar poll showing Trump up in Michigan, even though I know they lean right. It's still disconcerting to see that.

Trafalgar pretty much needs to be ignored. Or if you are going to pay attention, add 6 points towards the left. The only redeeming quality about them (and Rasmussen) is that it evens out the outlier polls that go high the other way. Better to have a real spread of polls averaged, because quality pollsters usually have an outlier now and then (ie. Quinnipiac with GA at Biden +7), which means they are staying true to their standards and they aren't following the lead of the others. But Trafalgar is always an outlier to the right.

If you take the A and B rated pollsters polls of MI over the last 5 days, it averages Biden +7.8. Which is exactly where the current avg in MI stands on 538.

And if it eases your mind at all, HarrisX just had a Biden +11 in MI today, which for HarrisX is kinda wild. So the outliers are good to keep in the mix for a better overall picture of things, and to keep the averages in check.
For example, Pretty much every CNN national poll has been an outlier this time around. They had Biden +14, then 4, then up 16, and so on. But if you take the average of the 5 polls they've done, it comes out to about Biden +9.

Last edited:
Trafalgar pretty much needs to be ignored. Or if you are going to pay attention, add 6 points towards the left. The only redeeming quality about them (and Rasmussen) is that it evens out the outlier polls that go high the other way. Better to have a real spread of polls averaged, because quality pollsters usually have an outlier now and then (ie. Quinnipiac with GA at Biden +7), which means they are staying true to their standards and they aren't following the lead of the others. But Trafalgar is always an outlier to the right.

If you take the A and B rated pollsters polls of MI over the last 5 days, it averages Biden +7.8. Which is exactly where the current avg in MI stands on 538.

And if it eases your mind at all, HarrisX just had a Biden +11 in MI today, which for HarrisX is kinda wild. So the outliers are good to keep in the mix for a better overall picture of things, and to keep the averages in check.
For example, Pretty much every CNN national poll has been an outlier this time around. They had Biden +14, then 4, then up 16, and so on. But if you take the average of the 5 polls they've done, it comes out to about Biden +9.

Well that works for me. :up:

I do find it hilarious how they essentially got extremely lucky in 2016 and now everyone on the right thinks they are the only poll that matters.

Thank goodness. I'm hoping that's a sign that most people aren't even bothering to tune in to Trump for the amusement/trainwreck factor anymore.

I think that he transitioned from train wreck entertaining to horribly tiresome some time ago for most normal people.

Sounds like appointment viewing to me :corn:

Former White House chief of staff tells friends that Trump 'is the most flawed person' he's ever met
By Jake Tapper, Anchor and Chief Washington Correspondent

Updated 5:32 PM EDT, Fri October 16, 2020

(CNN)Former White House chief of staff, retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, has told friends that President Donald Trump "is the most flawed person" he's ever known.

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends, CNN has learned.

The reporting comes from a new CNN special scheduled to air Sunday night, "The Insiders: A Warning from Former Trump Officials," in which former senior administration officials -- including former national security adviser John Bolton, former Health and Human Services scientist Rick Bright and former Department of Homeland Security general counsel John Mitnick -- explain why they think the President is unfit for office.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised that Biden got better ratings. Trump is obviously a dumpster fire, but a dumpster fire that some people apparently can’t get enough of. Glad it’s less people than I thought.

Lol @ Trump threatening to leave the country if he loses and Michael Cohen confirming that Rudy really is “drunk all the time.”

Lol @ Trump threatening to leave the country if he loses and Michael Cohen confirming that Rudy really is “drunk all the time.”

*Reads Cohen's comments on Giuliani*

Go on...*Chinhands*

Trump made a similar threat at his rally here in Iowa the other night, saying if he lost this state he'd likely never come back. Just further incentive to vote against him, as far as I can see.

I hope his threat to leave the country is a promise. I'm sure Kim Jong Un has a room ready for him.

Donald Trump Has At Least $1 Billion In Debt, More Than Twice The Amount He Suggested

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2020/10/16/donald-trump-has-at-least-1-billion-in-debt-more-than-twice-the-amount-he-suggested/#1dc8a6f44330

And another arrest for a plot to kidnap and kill the Mayor of Wichita over mask policy.

That makes 3 kidnap and kill plots that we know of. But please, lets all focus on court packing.

I'm not sure why the court packing answer is so hard. Biden did ok with it at the town hall, but him saying he would have an answer before election day was stupid. Because lets be honest, there is no clear answer. There are a lot of pros and cons to consider with it.

If he would just say - we have a lot of options to look at. Mayor Pete has some great suggestions of new rules and policies regarding the court. Expanding the court is something that could possibly be on the table, but we would be discussing many different things, so this is not a yes or no question. The republicans are packing the court right now as we sit here against the will of the people, yet you're asking me to give a yes or no to an impossible hypothetical instead of focusing on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom