US Politics XVI: Where the record player stays on all night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We can’t just ignore this crazed, conspiracy theorist cult and hope they go away.

They existed before Trump, but now they’re not ashamed to go public.

These people have no place in a civilized society. They are nihilistic and if they even have a care in the world it’s to hurt others

Getting Trump out of office is going to be messy, nasty, and violent. We have to prepare for this group of “people” to lash out

Lol you know trump is f**cked when even MR tucker Carlson can’t defend him lol. Still, like most trump supporters, he thinks he shouldn’t be removed from office (big surprise). Regardless, I never thought there would even be a hint of criticism from this guy.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-tucker-carlson-turns-081704846.html

Was just about to post that as well. Very surprising, indeed. But hey, if this starts the ball rolling on more Republicans, and even some Trump supporters who finally see the light, speaking out, thus helping to turn the tide and put pressure on the Senate to help get Trump out of here, then bring it on, I say.

Was just about to post that as well. Very surprising, indeed. But hey, if this starts the ball rolling on more Republicans, and even some Trump supporters who finally see the light, speaking out, thus helping to turn the tide and put pressure on the Senate to help get Trump out of here, then bring it on, I say.

What I see right now is that several are dipping their toes in the water to see the reaction. Schiff needs to keep the pressure on while the iron is hot. Every new event is cracking the GOP foundation even more, and it’s giving them more “outs” where they can finally say “enough is enough”.

Stable genius and all-around class act Donald J Trump called Mitt Romney an “ass” on Twitter.

Does he lose Utah?

Stable genius and all-around class act Donald J Trump called Mitt Romney an “ass” on Twitter.

Does he lose Utah?

Predictable but not sure it does much in Utah.

But it sends a message tho any GOP who’s in a toss up, go against the boss and he’ll ruin your elections chances with a tweet

Lachlan Murdoch is not as hard core as his father (except in his desire to make $). He’s not an ideologue, he’s a profiteer. So FOX News will go where the $ is.
Ah, i didn't know this. Thus my comment a week plus go about hearing about thinking of plans for a post-trump future.

:up:

What I see right now is that several are dipping their toes in the water to see the reaction. Schiff needs to keep the pressure on while the iron is hot. Every new event is cracking the GOP foundation even more, and it’s giving them more “outs” where they can finally say “enough is enough”.
Im pretty darn sure Schiff will keep the pressure on.

Does he lose Utah?
Maybe some. :up:

I haven't heard of some of these Republicans yet

from MSN

These Republicans May Not Endorse an Impeachment Inquiry. But They Aren’t Saying No.

Mark Amodei wearing glasses: Representative Mark Amodei, Republican of Nevada, has indicated openness to an impeachment inquiry.
As evidence mounts that Mr. Trump engaged in an intensive effort to pressure the leader of Ukraine to investigate a political rival, Mr. Amodei is one of a growing number of Republicans who, while not explicitly endorsing the Democrats’ impeachment inquiry, are at least indicating an openness to it. None have said Mr. Trump should be impeached. But neither are they defending him.

It is a politically delicate but increasingly common approach among independent-minded lawmakers like Mr. Amodei, who are working to balance their fear of inviting Mr. Trump’s wrath — and that of the party base — with a deep anxiety that there is more to be revealed about the president, some of it potentially indefensible, and the knowledge that history will hold them accountable for their words and actions.

In Michigan, Representative Fred Upton told an audience at the Detroit Economic Club that while he did not support an impeachment inquiry, “there are legitimate questions” about Mr. Trump’s interactions with Ukraine, and he had no problem with Democrats’ efforts to get more information.

“We need to know what the answers are,” he said.

In Texas, Representative Will Hurd — who is retiring, and therefore perhaps feeling liberated to speak his mind — has called on the House to investigate the “troubling” allegations against Mr. Trump, though he cautioned against a rush to impeachment. In Pennsylvania, Representative Brian Fitzpatrick said he thinks law enforcement should investigate. In Illinois, Representative Adam Kinzinger said, “I want to know what happened here.”

And in nearby Utah, Senator Mitt Romney, who has emerged as a lonely voice criticizing Mr. Trump’s dealings with Ukraine, and last week called the president’s appeal for foreign help investigating the Bidens “wrong and appalling,” appears to have company. Before a whistle-blower’s complaint against Mr. Trump was made public, a fellow Utahan, Representative John Curtis, introduced a resolution calling for the White House to release it, and he has said he is “closely monitoring the formal inquiry.”

a truck that is sitting on a grill: Mr. Amodei’s Chevy Silverado.
© Jason Henry for The New York Times Mr. Amodei’s Chevy Silverado.
On Saturday, in a warning shot to Republicans who might cross him, Mr. Trump lashed out at Mr. Romney on Twitter, calling him a “pompous ‘ass’ who has been fighting me from the beginning” and using the hashtag #IMPEACHMITTROMNEY.”

As they distance themselves from Mr. Trump, these Republicans — some in swing districts in tight re-election races — are also taking care to distance themselves from Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who they say rushed into the impeachment inquiry. For the most part they are refraining from directly criticizing the president, who has branded the investigation a “witch hunt” and a “hoax.”

But neither are they adopting the language of their leaders, whose strategy centers on attacking Ms. Pelosi, branding the inquiry politically motivated and changing the subject to Mr. Biden and his son, Hunter, whose work for a Ukrainian energy company fed Mr. Trump’s accusations of a nefarious web of corruption involving one of his top political foes. More than a dozen House Republicans have remained silent.

“It’s a matter of following their conscience and saying what they will be happy defending to their children in later years,” said Whit Ayres, a Republican strategist, adding, “Some of them are following the rule that if you can’t say anything good about your president, you should not say anything at all.”

:hmm:

Has anyone covered this here (in tbread) yet?

Federal Appeals Court Rules Trump Can Be Be Sued for Unconstitutional Profiteering
BY
Ciara Torres-Spelliscy, Brennan Center for Justice

A federal appeals court ruled Friday that President Trump can be sued for unconstitutionally benefiting from his ongoing ownership of the Trump Organization. The ruling by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York reverses a district court decision that dismissed the lawsuit. It also breaks from a decision by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Virginia, setting up a potential Supreme Court showdown.

Trump has been sued three times in cases alleging that he is violating the Emoluments Clauses of the Constitution, which are anti-corruption provisions that prohibit the president from accepting payments from foreign or state governments. The Foreign Emoluments Clause disallows the acceptance of money from foreign governments without Congressional consent, and the Domestic Emoluments Clause sets the president’s salary.

All of these emoluments lawsuits could have been avoided if Trump had simply divested or placed his assets in a blind trust as every president since Nixon has done. But he hasn’t — even though he said he would — because he apparently believes that the rules don’t apply to him.

:corn:

(hopefully!!!)

Last edited:
Who will be Pelosi’s VP?

I say AOC because at this point Dracaryus.
Still never happening.

Trump is throwing Pence under the bus to save himself - but the GOP will need to have Trump and Pence lead a mass shooting of women seeking abortions, and use a Tesla as the getaway vehicle for the Senate to dump them both.

And even then there would probably be some deep South senators who said the women had it coming for seeking an abortion.

I think our scenarios are, in order of most likely to least likely

1. Trump is impeached, Pence is not. Trump survives the Senate.

2. Trump and Pence are both impeached, both survive the Senate.

3. Trump resigns in a deal with the GOP to save Pence and his whole dumb ass family gets pardons.

4. Trump is impeached and removed. President Pence. No VP is named - as Pelosi plays the "let's let the voters decide in an election year" card.

5. Pence resigns to save himself, the GOP bunker down to save Trump to avoid President Pelosi and get slaughtered at every level in 2020.

6. A 2nd Big Bang

7. President Pelosi.

NBC News:
Lawyers for first whistle blower, confirm they are now representing "multiple whistle blowers"

Whether that means 2 or now maybe more, remains to be seen. If there could be several, that would be immense pressure and stress on WH and repubs. Because, if more come out with even more information - like the ACTUAL transcript or contents of the call, it would shift public opinion even more.

Long but very worthwhile thread.

Warning for those in the administration who are sticking by Trump:

https://twitter.com/deangloster/status/1180311785703788546

Bingo. Excellent thread. I've never understood how anyone ever genuinely thought Trump gave a shit about anyone other than himself to begin with, but yeah, his actions of late should make that more apparent than ever. Whether people continue to stick by him or jump ship to save themselves, though, I hope they don't get to get away from this mess unscathed, either. They let far too much crap go on for far too long.

I'm glad to hear there could be more whistleblowers ready to speak out. It would've been easy for Trump supporters to dismiss one whistleblower, but if there's multiple ones, it'll be fun to watch them twist themselves into pretzels trying to explain that many people's complaints away.

I don't know too much about Canadian politics, but I imagine I might be partial to this guy.

[tweet]1180516323522207744[/tweet]

Trudeau promised the same last election, it was supposed to be a done deal and yet here we are.

It is unfortunately not a priority, and despite Canada's reputation I don't think many people care. Or are even aware that there are FN communities bordering big cities that do not have access to clean drinking water or even running water for that matter.

I support it 100% but I don't think it would happen even if we had an NDP federal government.

I think our scenarios are, in order of most likely to least likely

1. Trump is impeached, Pence is not. Trump survives the Senate.

2. Trump and Pence are both impeached, both survive the Senate.

3. Trump resigns in a deal with the GOP to save Pence and his whole dumb ass family gets pardons.

4. Trump is impeached and removed. President Pence. No VP is named - as Pelosi plays the "let's let the voters decide in an election year" card.

5. Pence resigns to save himself, the GOP bunker down to save Trump to avoid President Pelosi and get slaughtered at every level in 2020.

6. A 2nd Big Bang

7. President Pelosi.

I almost wish we would see a President Pelosi, so Americans can be reminded what it’s like to live under Democrat Party leadership....no more American flags, more shit on the streets of our inner cities, more welfare, less jobs, and the President going Global and taking care of every country BUT America

remember when obama took away all the american flags and people were pooping on the city streets because of democrats?

pepperidge farms doesn't remember, because you literally just made all of that up.

I almost wish we would see a President Pelosi, so Americans can be reminded what it’s like to live under Democrat Party leadership....no more American flags, more shit on the streets of our inner cities, more welfare, less jobs, and the President going Global and taking care of every country BUT America

Yet you are ok with trump! Oh the irony.

remember when obama took away all the american flags and people were pooping on the city streets because of democrats?

pepperidge farms doesn't remember, because you literally just made all of that up.

Yeah the USA was so horrible under a democratic president! They had no rights under that dictator Obama! Thank gzus we have our lord saviour trump to save America from the doom imposed by a democrat president!

Trudeau promised the same last election, it was supposed to be a done deal and yet here we are.

It is unfortunately not a priority, and despite Canada's reputation I don't think many people care. Or are even aware that there are FN communities bordering big cities that do not have access to clean drinking water or even running water for that matter.

I support it 100% but I don't think it would happen even if we had an NDP federal government.

yeah, this unfortunately. sadly the part of the electorate that screams about any money given to FN communities as "politicians taking *our* taxes to give to *them* as a free handout" (gee that kinda sounds like someone who hangs around here, doesn't it :hmm: ) is large and vocal. it shouldn't be a big political risk to try to help and support our first nations, but it is, and so nothing really useful is being done and there isn't really much chance of that changing very soon.

i will say though that my opinion of jagmeet singh has gone up quite a bit in this campaign. he wasn't ready when he first became the leader but now he seems to be getting more comfortable in the role. he shouldn't be prime minister yet but i do think the NDP would do well to keep him after this election and give him a term in parliament as leader so he can be in a much better position the next time an election comes around, which could be as soon as 2021 considering we seem headed for a minority government either way.

You're a fucking moron.

The only thing that will save our country is when the consensus decides that yes, it's okay for people like those on the left and those in what is now the center to have legitimate disagreements - and that debating with people like Gzus is stupid because he's a fucking moron and everyone like him are equally morons.

Only then will we make America great again.

And it's okay to call them fucking morons, because they have no intent on having legitimate debate over real issues - they are merely trolls, and, alas, fucking morons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom