US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. The signs of google, Apple and amazon with the chant "You will not replace us" was really good.

On a different note, was anyone else's sound way off for the episode ? I felt like music was way too high in mix and couldn't hear what characters were saying

Wow, quiet tonight.

Dave C thanks for your long post on the Byzantine Empire etc .

AEON not sure I'll get all my questions, and comments in one post... I haven't read some of the latter parts of the previous thread of your and others so my apologies to you and readers if I'm repeating things particularly if I am asking things in practically the very same words (it was a lot to catch up with this thread.

1)Racism
a) Do you believe black and brown people in general to really be less intelligent than white people?

b) Do you believe the very same to be lazier than white people?

c)Do you believe the same are morally inferior to white people?

Do you not take into consideration at least some of the historical and current impediments other posters have raised:
(the original outrage of) slavery, share cropping, Jim crow, red lining in The North, segregation in federal housing , often poor educational opportunities etc that would cause these people to often be poorer on the economic ladder.

Tangential question: are you one of those people who believes that if you are poor it's because you are morally inferior?

2) PC
"PC" which has become a derogatory term.
When you are (in general, I'm leaving class issues out for the moment [I do believe there are class issues in the USA]) a White Male Christian you are the fish swimming in water, the dominant culture.

You have operated in general without outside pressures to be something else/act a different way... until more recently (historically) because you have been/still are the dominant culture.

Just about everyone who complains about PC is coming from the dominant culture(s): "race", gender, straight identity. You have/had the majority of power, and now you are asked to share, to have openings for equal placement at the tablet for " the other(s)".

The poster (sorry don't remember who) that said that when you've been the dominant person/culture others asking for equality feels like oppression to you is spot on!

They are asking for equality not to reverse the situation (except for small percentage
- yes 'turn about is fair play' may even flash through many minds but be discarded).

I can even speak to that in a fictional way: as a fan of book and media SF (science fiction) at least 2 of the Trek series did episodes where women were the dominant people in power. Truthfully I got a bit of a kick out of it, but I wouldn't want it to really be so.

That's enough for now I might have another area or two to you about at some point in the future.

Last edited:
haha, yeah that's a guy who has the best words.

Seems more like something you'd hear before a football game. I just hope the US can cover the spread against North Korea

DKGmkqwVoAAkF_D.jpg

Rocket Man by Elton John.

Trump has been calling Kim Jong Un "rocket man." He called him that in his UN speech today, because sure, why not.

but run to the NYT for their new article on Manafort! Looks like he's going to be indited. :shifty:

And on a similar note, saw this story earlier, too:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-trump-using-campaign-rnc-funds-pay-legal-195535169.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump is using money donated to his reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee to pay for his lawyers in the probe of alleged Russian interference in the U.S. election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The U.S. Federal Election Commission allows the use of private campaign funds to pay legal bills arising from being a candidate or elected official.

While previous presidential campaigns have used these funds to pay for routine legal matters such as ballot access disputes and compliance requirements, Trump would be the first U.S. president in the modern campaign finance era to use such funds to cover the costs of responding to a criminal probe, said election law experts.

One person familiar with the matter said the first payments, the amount of which Reuters could not determine, has already been made and would be disclosed in public filings. The person did not explain how the costs would be allocated between the campaign and the RNC.

The Republican National Committee is expected to make its August spending public on Wednesday, and the Trump campaign is due for another disclosure on Oct. 15.

John Dowd, Trump’s lead lawyer, declined to say how the president's legal bills were being paid, adding: "That's none of your business."

An RNC spokesperson confirmed the payments and said additionally they have also made non-Russia related litigation expenses for the campaign. The RNC has an existing legal defense fund which has been used mainly for Election Day recounts and other routine legal matters for candidates, the spokesperson said.

“They have been paid with funds from a pre-existing legal proceedings account and do not reduce by a dime the resources we can put towards our political work,” said RNC spokesperson Cassie Smedile.

Special counsel Robert Mueller is looking at possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia in last year's election, and whether Trump may have obstructed justice by firing FBI Director James Comey, among other actions.

Moscow has denied meddling in the U.S. election, and Trump denies any collusion or obstruction.

#winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom