U2's weakest live moments ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JulioArca said:

Well both Edge an Bono played acoustic guitars, see ZOO TV Sydney, while Adam played electric bass, so I guess we're both right;)

My point though, this version is so much better than the Elevation version with only Edge/Bono on acoustic guitars.

actually Edge played electric guitar on the dublin version... you can clearly hear it..
I wish there were more recordings of Electric Stay... I liked it..

and I agree it is MUCH better than Elevation... htat one was wayy too slow

U2mixer said:
ANY live version of Pride - that's ANY live version of Pride as it never sounds as good as the studio version! Maybe if they did an acoustic version then it's relevance might sound truer than the going-thru-the-motions full band versions.

It's true they never captured the song live (there are a few U2 songs, along with Pride I'd add Desire, One, and OOTS on this short list. Kite too, but then came the beautiful Vertigo version), but my favourite is from Rattle and Hum. The faster pace really worked for the song.

europop2005 said:

you mean the one that was given to him by the president of Argentina that Edge played in honor of the culture that had been nearly devestated by years of war, innocent kidnappings and injustice and that meant so much for the people to see it......yeah really terrible:wink:

Yup........thats the one. I couldnt care less who gave who what and for what reason, I dont like it, END OF!!

i think prides best era was UF/JT/LT with the faster pace, after that it slowed down and it lost its unique sound it had back in those early years, it lost its touch! sounds too well crap now!

U2girl said:

It's true they never captured the song live (

"true"???? :ohmy: :huh: :huh: :huh:
There had been a reason why they put "Pride" at the very end of the Rattle and Hum film. It was the highlight - le grande finale - It was just the best performance on the movie. Bono had so much strength, charisma and power in this performance, close to the perfect "frontman" -
now when I watch this performance I often wonder: is this really the same man, the same human being who is hanging around these days in all these decadent circles? I nearly doubt it - (perhaps this Paul Hewson also died 20 years ago - like McCartney did 1966 ;) )

Although Pride sounds much better on the faster 80's versions, I think that the slower versions (listen to Popmart bootlegs) are played like that with a stadium-singing-feeling, not to be the raw Pride.

U2girl said:

It's true they never captured the song live (there are a few U2 songs, along with Pride I'd add Desire, One, and OOTS on this short list. Kite too, but then came the beautiful Vertigo version), but my favourite is from Rattle and Hum. The faster pace really worked for the song.

No way! I almost never listen to the studio versions of One and Desire.
Zoo TV and Lovetown (and some 00's) versions of Desire are fucking great!
One is not a great studio track IMO. The Zoo TV version is very raw, and it's biggest interpretations belong to Popmart, that's the One I love.

I forgot one really "weak" live moment -
always the play "Miss Sarajewo" - it sucks everytime. Bono is not a tenor and he shouldn't try to become one. I love his ego and his believe in himself - but that's way too much. When I see him singing the Pavarotti-part I ask myself most times: has he now lost his mind completely? It sounds just awful - I really pray that this song in not in the "U2 3D"-movie.

also "weak": Bono just too often looks at the teleprompter. Even when he sings titles like "one" - he really should know the text by now...:(

Canadiens1160 said:
Just start inserting any of Bono's wonderful ad-lib gaffes.

Play the bluuuuuuuues, Edge!

:shrug:

Excuse my ignorance, but why was there such an uproar about that?

The only thing I can think of is some of Bono's long(er) speeches, i.e. the One and Miracle Drug speeches on Chicago. The MD speech is 3mins compared with 4mins of the actual song, and One is 3:40 compared with 6:50 of music.

perrypickwick said:
always the play "Miss Sarajewo" - it sucks everytime. Bono is not a tenor and he shouldn't try to become one. I love his ego and his believe in himself - but that's way too much. When I see him singing the Pavarotti-part I ask myself most times: has he now lost his mind completely? It sounds just awful - I really pray that this song in not in the "U2 3D"-movie.

Just goes to show you how subjective music really is...

coolian2 said:

Why they must retain the B-stage setup, or else Bono will never bother to know an of the lyrics

It's funny, as fans we give Bono a hard time, but in all honesty I truly empathize with him. I'm a singer songwriter myself and forget my own lyrics all the time.

It's like this; some of your songs are memories, they can change over time. Some are like shirts you wear, you may not remember you wore them the last time you saw that person. Some you may not empathise with on that day, but people want to hear them(these are the most unfortunate).

But as fans we have the fortunate luxury of listening to these songs second hand, memorizing every word and analyzing every word... Whereas Bono and most other songwriters never listen to their own songs again after recording them...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's funny, as fans we give Bono a hard time, but in all honesty I truly empathize with him. I'm a singer songwriter myself and forget my own lyrics all the time.

It's like this; some of your songs are memories, they can change over time. Some are like shirts you wear, you may not remember you wore them the last time you saw that person. Some you may not empathise with on that day, but people want to hear them(these are the most unfortunate).

But as fans we have the fortunate luxury of listening to these songs second hand, memorizing every word and analyzing every word... Whereas Bono and most other songwriters never listen to their own songs again after recording them...

Its funny because i still forget the words too

perrypickwick said:

also "weak": Bono just too often looks at the teleprompter. Even when he sings titles like "one" - he really should know the text by now...:(

Totally with you on this perry. My thoughts are exactly same as yours about Miss Sarajevo. I dont think it works at all live and never has. Bono atempting the Pavarotti part....just finishes the disaster off!!

just for the record: I like the studio version

Last edited:
perrypickwick said:
:huh: :eyebrow: :shame:

There are many cringe-worthy moments (not ranked):

1) Early Years: Bono's voice - half-punk/half-singer = bad singer. Sounds nasally and he's forced to scream.

2) Early Years: Repeated songs

3) Pride: Every version of this song ever performed by U2 is not as good as the album version. They captured something magic in the studio and have been unable to reproduce it in concert. This is true whether it was 1984 or 2005

4) With or Without You - The 90's and Beyond: U2 made this beautiful album song soar in concert, frequently adding extra lyrics and kick-ass guitars. Bono's voice truly sailed on this song. Then came ZOO TV. And what was once a magical moment in concert became an eye-sore. Their more abrupt version of the song failed to do anything. Maybe this was intentional as U2 try to shake of the shackles of JT, but I think it did a disservice to the song and the fans. U2 have redeemed themselves a bit, especially on the Elevation Tour, by adding to this song again, but it never has regained what it was in the late 80's.

4) Las Vegas - PopMart Opening Night: Blech! "Do You Feel Loved" was horribly out of tune and the band was not prepared.

5) Early part of UF Tour: Supposedly the band took a mini-break to practice their songs again as even they admitted to not being good at the start of the tour.

6) First Night Chicago - Vertigo Tour: Again, band was just off. Vegas and the start of the UF tour could be forgiven as this was the first time U2 were playing these songs in concert. But by the time they hit Chicago on the Vertigo Tour, they had many play-dates done. U2 were just bad and the band admitted it.

7) Complain all you want about Bono's preaching now, but it pales in comparison to his JT era rants. Some of those were truly cringe-worthy. At least now, there is an immediate cause and effect - Bono isn't just ranting, he's getting things done. Back then, it was juvenille.

8) The oft-mentioned Sydney show where Adam was too hungover to play: enough said.

9) LA - JT Tour: U2 tried something different at the end of the concert - they sat on stage and tried to have a chat and interact with the fans. Spectacular failure! :D

10) Repeat of "Vertigo": While one might forgive early U2 for repeating songs as they had a limited catalogue then, there is ZERO excuse for repeating "Vertigo". Yes, it's a great rocking song. Either launch the night that way or end it that way - but repeating it, unless it's like the 25th song of the night in a third encore, is pathetic at this point in U2's careers. They have SO many other songs fans would love to here live.

11) PopMart Tour: The ZOO TV tour was fun. It was still held in arenas (in the U.S. at least) and combined flash and intimacy. Even in stadiums, it worked. But PopMart was over the top and the songs lost a lot of meaning. The only high points were on the b-stage (like the acoustic "Staring at the Sun") as U2 removed themselves from the excesses of their stage design.

Aygo said:

I agree! I adore the U2 only version of "Miss Sarajevo" and am astonished at fans who hate it. This isn't Bono trying to imitate Pavarotti - it's Bono's full on open throat voice. He did this voice a lot on the JT/R&H tours, but apparently it was fine then, just not now, even when done in small doses. Regardless, this is one of my TOP moments for U2 live (because of Bono).

doctorwho said:

I agree! I adore the U2 only version of "Miss Sarajevo" and am astonished at fans who hate it. This isn't Bono trying to imitate Pavarotti - it's Bono's full on open throat voice. He did this voice a lot on the JT/R&H tours, but apparently it was fine then, just not now, even when done in small doses. Regardless, this is one of my TOP moments for U2 live (because of Bono).

That's exactly the point!!

doctorwho said:
There are many cringe-worthy moments (not ranked):

1) Early Years: Bono's voice - half-punk/half-singer = bad singer. Sounds nasally and he's forced to scream.

3) Pride: Every version of this song ever performed by U2 is not as good as the album version. They captured something magic in the studio and have been unable to reproduce it in concert. This is true whether it was 1984 or 2005

4) Las Vegas - PopMart Opening Night: Blech! "Do You Feel Loved" was horribly out of tune and the band was not prepared.

8) The oft-mentioned Sydney show where Adam was too hungover to play: enough said.

10) Repeat of "Vertigo": While one might forgive early U2 for repeating songs as they had a limited catalogue then, there is ZERO excuse for repeating "Vertigo". Yes, it's a great rocking song. Either launch the night that way or end it that way - but repeating it, unless it's like the 25th song of the night in a third encore, is pathetic at this point in U2's careers. They have SO many other songs fans would love to here live.

11) PopMart Tour: The ZOO TV tour was fun. It was still held in arenas (in the U.S. at least) and combined flash and intimacy. Even in stadiums, it worked. But PopMart was over the top and the songs lost a lot of meaning. The only high points were on the b-stage (like the acoustic "Staring at the Sun") as U2 removed themselves from the excesses of their stage design.

I agree with 1) and 8).

I agree with 10) too. What's the point in repeating Vertigo when they have a huge catalogue?
They wanted to close the show with an uptempo and rocking (maybe with the punkrock punch)? Ok, they could've used 11 O'Clock Tick Tock as a closer, for instance.

Disagree with 4) and 11).
Don't think that was ever anything wrong with the Popmart concept or even with the stage design. the problem was being made "before its time".
Do You Feel Loved was fucking great played live. Not as good as in studio, but I can imagine it if played more times...

I can't understand too the hatred for live Pride. No, it's not the studio version, neither has it magic. The live version has other kind of magic. The magic of thousands of people singing it. I can't imagine a crowd doing it with a very similar version to the studio one.

Aygo said:

I can't understand too the hatred for live Pride. No, it's not the studio version, neither has it magic. The live version has other kind of magic. The magic of thousands of people singing it. I can't imagine a crowd doing it with a very similar version to the studio one.

I adore "Pride". And maybe it's because I adore it so that I never really loved any live version as it just didn't feel the same as the studio.

Admittedly, a live version is where a band can make a song even better - and U2 has done that witih many of their songs. "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Mysterious Ways", "One", "With or Without You", "Elevation", "One Tree Hill", "Love and Peace", "Until the End of the World", etc. all sound so much powerful live (on various tours) because U2 added to the songs in some format. These great album tracks became so much more powerful in concert - one reason U2 is known as a great live artist.

But "Pride" is the exception. It's not just Bono's vocals. I will readily acquiesce that he can't sing like he did on the album every night otherwise his voice would be gone thanks to one song! But with Bono's vocals changed, it seems everything else changed too. The song lacks that extra oomph. Often Edge plays slower, Larry's beats are slower and the song just doesn't "wow". The only part that is impressive is the audience who can carry on that "oh-ohoh-oh" part forever. :)

So as much as I adore "Pride", in concert, it fails to impress. Still, because I love the song so, I at least appreciate hearing it in concert and doing my "oh-ohoh-oh" bit as well. :sexywink:

doctorwho said:

I adore "Pride". And maybe it's because I adore it so that I never really loved any live version as it just didn't feel the same as the studio.

Admittedly, a live version is where a band can make a song even better - and U2 has done that witih many of their songs. "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Mysterious Ways", "One", "With or Without You", "Elevation", "One Tree Hill", "Love and Peace", "Until the End of the World", etc. all sound so much powerful live (on various tours) because U2 added to the songs in some format. These great album tracks became so much more powerful in concert - one reason U2 is known as a great live artist.

But "Pride" is the exception. It's not just Bono's vocals. I will readily acquiesce that he can't sing like he did on the album every night otherwise his voice would be gone thanks to one song! But with Bono's vocals changed, it seems everything else changed too. The song lacks that extra oomph. Often Edge plays slower, Larry's beats are slower and the song just doesn't "wow". The only part that is impressive is the audience who can carry on that "oh-ohoh-oh" part forever. :)

So as much as I adore "Pride", in concert, it fails to impress. Still, because I love the song so, I at least appreciate hearing it in concert and doing my "oh-ohoh-oh" bit as well. :sexywink:

Well, it's an opinion. I seem to be one of the few users to really like Pride played live and not seeing anything wrong in it.
About the other songs you listed, I completly agree (except for WOWY which is perfect in studio but good/average played live, mostly because of the live effects and Bono's singing) that they're much better live, especially One (Popmart is the better one, and I'm not a fan of Zoo Tv's version), Elevation and SBS.

Kiki said:
I'm really not sure how this thread will be accepted, I feel a bit wrong in even posting this, but I can remember a moment I'd consider kind of weak being in 1993-1994 when Adam wasn't able to make the show and his guitar tech had to stand in for him.

So now, this thread hasn't been accepted that bad, I guess. But someone always has to start answwering - that's why I want to thank you.

On the discussion regarding "Pride": I do love the album version, knowing, that the speed of the track was fastened. And there are several guitar layers (overdubs) - so it is a product of art, that can't (and maybe shouldn't) replaced live.
Looking at U2 playing their #1 single on every tour, there are some hightlights:Those mentioned @Axver - though I can't count the VERTIGO-versions 100%, because even on the nice 5th leg they were abbreviated - and especially those performed at the CONSPIRACY-gigs '86 - pure emotion & speed, even more, when you see the live video.
Since then there were some nicer versions - and a lot of worse ones: I didn't like the slower versions during ZOO TV that much, getting a real low point with the cut off versions during POPMart (only exception being a rather nice and raw version in Las Vegas).
During ELEVATION the speed finally got faster and there were some good versions, especially at the last leg of the tour (for example at Miami, the great finale gig!).

For "Miss Sarajewo" I'm sure, which is the best live version: Modena '95 with Bono and Luciano Pavarotti on stage and in blistering form. Nothing can beat this performance. When U2 started the tune in Amsterdam '05 I couldn't trust my ears first. It was a moving, though far from perfect performance - full of emotion, reflection and, yes, fun. What I didn't get was, why Bono sung the opera tribute from then on every night of the tour; a switching of "Miss Sarajewo" with the beautiful "Running To Stand Still" version of '05 would have been the nicer idea, I guess.

On the Vertigo tour--- going from Pride-->Streets rather than the other way around. Took away the anticpiation from the transition.

clifedge said:
On the Vertigo tour--- going from Pride-->Streets rather than the other way around. Took away the anticpiation from the transition.

Totally agree! AND what happened to the lights??? Bad move!

@ZOOTVTOURist - agree with you about the Modena version of MS.

Regarding Vertigo 2 - it fookin rocked going home after that powerful encore so no problems with that although I can understand the comments about other songs in the catalogue they could've played.

Opening Night Popmart Las Vegas..."Do You Feel Loved?' even worse than the goof up of Staring at the Sun. It's a shame, because the shows got better as the tour went on.

dietcokeofevil said:
Opening Night Popmart Las Vegas..."Do You Feel Loved?' even worse than the goof up of Staring at the Sun. It's a shame, because the shows got better as the tour went on.

But at least the Las Vegas fans were lucky to listen to "Do You Feel Loved" (soon to be thrown out of the setlist) plus the only long versions of "If God Will Send His Angels" & "If You Were That Velvet Dress" on the tour.
Personally I actually like the opening show, even when the mistakes were painful at times. But I guess, U2 have learned from this wrong step ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom