U2's weakest live moments ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
Hi y'all,

after most of the threads celebrating U2 - logically, because we're all fans - I'd like to open up a thread, throwing some light on the dark side of the moon. Did you experience concerts, where you were disappointed for something happening? If so, please post your memory here ...

My 1st suggestion: I remember myself and other 170000 persons standing on a field in Italy, in Reggio Emilia (September 1997). Everybody thought, this record breaking gig in one of the countries, where U2 are VERY popular, might be also one of the most beautiful in the band's history. But it wasn't. It was a standard setlist - and althought everybody was singing '40' as loud as hell, the band didn't seem to care at all. The gig before, even someone on the audience, died of strange circumstances in the crowd. An odd atmosphere, somehow.

I'm really not sure how this thread will be accepted, I feel a bit wrong in even posting this, but I can remember a moment I'd consider kind of weak being in 1993-1994 when Adam wasn't able to make the show and his guitar tech had to stand in for him.

Kiki said:
I'm really not sure how this thread will be accepted, I feel a bit wrong in even posting this, but I can remember a moment I'd consider kind of weak being in 1993-1994 when Adam wasn't able to make the show and his guitar tech had to stand in for him.

That would be the show in Sydney in November of 93. It was the night before they filmed the show for video. They talked in U2 by U2 about how lucky they were to be able to get all the footage the 2nd show since Adam missed the first one.

Yes, the "Adam was missing" news was a real shock fopr me, too. Till then I always thought about U2 as a union, a kind of solid rock - after that image had become more human, I guess.

Streets in Tel Aviv. I don't know, could be the bootleg, but I don't think so. The effect they used on Pop Mart went out of control and gets louder than anything else.

Vincent Vega said:
Streets in Tel Aviv. I don't know, could be the bootleg, but I don't think so. The effect they used on Pop Mart went out of control and gets louder than anything else.

Its the bootleg, supposedly its a moniter feed so alot of the effects overwhelm parts of the recording. I dont think it had anything to do with U2's performance that night.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: This thread is pure heresy.

U2 has never had a weak live moment. Ever. (conveniently ignores Popmart Las Vegas)

Kiki said:

From reading U2 by U2, Edge once missed a gig and Bono had to fill in on guitar...but they were still a "baby band."

Kinda interesting...maybe eerie...that gig he missed, during "New Year's Day" there were technical glitches, a microphone went out, tried another one, it wasn't working either...think a guitar problem but I haven't read Flanagan's book in awhile. Bono has said a lot on the Vertigo tour that the song 'belongs to Adam.'

Coincidence, probably but interesting.

Opening night of Popmart is a given.

Every single time Pride was played in the last 15 years.

At least.

Blue Room said:

Its the bootleg, supposedly its a moniter feed so alot of the effects overwhelm parts of the recording. I dont think it had anything to do with U2's performance that night.

Well, then I need a fixed version I think. Thank you.

Kiki said:

Stu TV :rockon:

Stuart Morgan did a great job considering it was spur of the moment. Bill Flanagan talks about that night in U2 at the End of the World. They would've cancelled the show, except that they had to do the blocking for the next night's video shoot.

Just start inserting any of Bono's wonderful ad-lib gaffes.

Play the bluuuuuuuues, Edge!

:shrug:

Vincent Vega said:

Well, then I need a fixed version I think. Thank you.

Well, there is nothing to fix. Its just what was recorded. There is only one source of Tel Aviv available in general trading and from servers and its the one with alot of the effects high in the mix.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Stu TV :rockon:

Stuart Morgan did a great job considering it was spur of the moment. Bill Flanagan talks about that night in U2 at the End of the World. They would've cancelled the show, except that they had to do the blocking for the next night's video shoot.

Well, thats not really all of it. They would have postponed it but by the time they found Adam couldnt play that night it was late in the afternoon and alot of the crowd was already at the stadium. So they decided to play. They practiced the shoot the week prior anyway during the MTV broadcast to a fans house from the Adelaide show. If the Sydney shoot wouldnt have worked they would have most likely broadcast that show for the pay per view and shot the Sydney video on the make up night.

Blue Room said:

Well, there is nothing to fix. Its just what was recorded. There is only one source of Tel Aviv available in general trading and from servers and its the one with alot of the effects high in the mix.

Ah, ok, then I have to live with that.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Hi y'all,

after most of the threads celebrating U2 - logically, because we're all fans - I'd like to open up a thread, throwing some light on the dark side of the moon.

You don't post here often do you?:eyebrow:

Personally, any acoustic performance of Desire, Ground Beneath Her Feet, and Stay (Elevation Tour) is exceptionally weak for U2's standards.

Any of the Popmart versions of I Will Follow where it sounded so slow, it made me cry in frustration.

Play faster, damn you! I should be able to jump up and down like mad to this song, not walk with a cane to the beat! :mad:

Re: Re: U2's weakest live moments ...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You don't post here often do you?:eyebrow:

I do, as you might read. The statement is a (positive) intro to a rather critical thread, not that usual for U2-fans, looking forward to share memories, impressions & opinions. That's all.

But I missed something: What's your example? Did you once have a disappointing feeling, when you witnessed U2 playing on stage?

Back
Top Bottom