U2's second chance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Grace and Red Light too; I just brought them up because both are regularly slammed on this site. I actually like pretty much all of the U2 songs that are unpopular around here. SUC is the exception. Although I have to admit, if it was just a b-side (or even on HTDAAB), it probably wouldn't bother me as much. It's the case of a weaker U2 song that, because I think it also sounds so out of place, catches extra heat from me.

But nothing on the Bomb is really like anything else on the Bomb. I think SUC would fit on there perfectly.

Bomb does have some common threads that are often overlooked here.

The production is crap throughout, overly compressed, music does not stand out, it's just kind of there, etc. I am not a technical expert, but people far more qualified have explained it here in much more detail....

The song structures are much more simple and straightforward. Nothing really new for U2. SUC is structured differently and has new sounds in it.

Themes of war and peace, innocence lost and regained, life and death, earth at the crossroads of its existence, etc. That is the running theme of the Bomb. SUC is more of an in context journey.

3 reasons why it really would not fit on Bomb, and I did not even have to reach or split hairs.

if SUC was on bomb, then u2 would have made it fit. SUC would have been on boy, if they had thought of it back then. It would have sounded liked what SUC would sound like on boy.

Bomb does have some common threads that are often overlooked here.

The production is crap throughout, overly compressed, music does not stand out, it's just kind of there, etc. I am not a technical expert, but people far more qualified have explained it here in much more detail....

The song structures are much more simple and straightforward. Nothing really new for U2. SUC is structured differently and has new sounds in it.

Themes of war and peace, innocence lost and regained, life and death, earth at the crossroads of its existence, etc. That is the running theme of the Bomb. SUC is more of an in context journey.

3 reasons why it really would not fit on Bomb, and I did not even have to reach or split hairs.

All true, but I still don't think it would stand out too much if on the Bomb. Thematically I think it fits, if only loosely. It's a personal call to action that somewhat could be seen to compliment the more worldly pleading of Love and Peace, and even in a way fit alongside the wider institutional condemnation of Crumbs. And musically, despite being a tad more complex in structure and sound, it's still a (relatively) simplistic, big and bombastic song, and a song that sounds like it took a lot of hard work and cold, calculated construction, rather than some otherworldly lighting bolt of creative inspiration - hallmarks of the Bomb.

All true, but I still don't think it would stand out too much if on the Bomb. Thematically I think it fits, if only loosely. It's a personal call to action that somewhat could be seen to compliment the more worldly pleading of Love and Peace, and even in a way fit alongside the wider institutional condemnation of Crumbs. And musically, despite being a tad more complex in structure and sound, it's still a (relatively) simplistic, big and bombastic song, and a song that sounds like it took a lot of hard work and cold, calculated construction, rather than some otherworldly lighting bolt of creative inspiration - hallmarks of the Bomb.

I understand what you are saying, but I think it would have had to get a little bit of an overhaul to fit on Bomb.

allbecause ofu2 said that they could have made it fit on Boy or Bomb or wherever, but the operative word there is "made."

It would have to be changed from a Horizon like production, structure and theme(if only slightly with theme) in order to fit on Bomb.

As is, I just do not think it is glaringly out of place on NLOTH.

Is it the best song on there? I say hardly.

Could something else have fit better? For sure, I think they have something in the vault, but nothing we have heard. Neither version of Winter is something I would want on an album, and truth is we have 20 seconds of Kingdom and descriptions of EBW and that is very little to go on. Certainly not enough for people(not you, other posters) to claim here with such certainty that Kingdom or EBW should have been on NLOTH in place of SUC.

I can't speak for others, but I've definitely heard enough of Kingdom to believe it should have replaced SUC. And Winter. And hell, I'll take EBW on faith.

I hope neither one of you above me mean what you said.

Kingdom sounds good, agreed, almost unanimous here I'd say....

All 20 seconds of it.

The first 10 seconds of "Modern Love" by Bowie sound just like live performances of Pride from the Joshua Tree tour. Ready to say that fits on a U2 album?

Would you judge Magnificent or MOS on the first few seconds? It's impossible to know either way.

I hope neither one of you above me mean what you said.

Kingdom sounds good, agreed, almost unanimous here I'd say....

All 20 seconds of it.

The first 10 seconds of "Modern Love" by Bowie sound just like live performances of Pride from the Joshua Tree tour. Ready to say that fits on a U2 album?

Would you judge Magnificent or MOS on the first few seconds? It's impossible to know either way.

I think we get more then 2o seconds of Kingdom, it's a couple of minutes isn't it? I think that's enough time to get what the song is going to be like.

I think you've a got a point. SUC could have been great, but it's just too conservative. It's like HTDAAB-era U2 trying to play funk. I blame the Edge- surely he could have come up with more interesting guitar sounds?

To me, there's a qualitative difference between the HTDAAB songs and "Stand Up Comedy". The difference is subtle and hard to explain, but it goes something like this:

Good HTDAAB songs (of which there are lots) = genius
"Stand Up Comedy" = crap

Does saying over and over again that you don't like Stand Up Comedy actually add anything meaningful to the board? :reject:
Maybe you guys should just start a new thread:"I hate Stand Up Comedy!" and then stop saying it over and over again in every thread???

btw, I love it! :hyper:

i'm having trouble finding other current discussions where people are voicing their displeasure of SUC.

Surely after 24 pages, we should be able to talk about anything we want...?

Do y'all reckon Adam is going to wax his chest or just let it grow for the upcoming leg of the tour? And how will this choice impact the purity of the performances?

(I've now given us a new focus for the next 5 pages.)

Well I think SUC is Chilli Pepper-influenced- the guitar sounds, the general funk-rock feel to it.

Don't buy it. First off RHCP didn't invent funk, in fact a lot of their later stuff is missing funk. And as far as guitar sounds, I have no clue what you are talking about, if anything I think RHCP have changed their guitar sounds over the years to be closer to a cleaner U2/ melodic type of band sound.

The only similarity to Chili Peppers I can see concerning SUC is the fact it's a song played by 4 white guys trying to sound funky. (something Chili Peppers used to be able to pull off effortlessly). However, if I was to compare SUC to anything it would be a solo Rob Thomas song (especially on the "oooh hooo hoo hoo hoooooo hooooo" parts). Throw in some wannabe Lennonisms "stand up for your love" with a cliched Zepellin-inspired riff (Beastie Boys did it better when they just straight up sampled a Zep riff)... and there you have it, a Rob Thomas solo song with a shot of Lennon and garnished with Zeppelin. Disgusting. Hi Niceman!

The only similarity to Chili Peppers I can see concerning SUC is the fact it's a song played by 4 white guys trying to sound funky. (something Chili Peppers used to be able to pull off effortlessly). However, if I was to compare SUC to anything it would be a solo Rob Thomas song (especially on the "oooh hooo hoo hoo hoooooo hooooo" parts). Throw in some wannabe Lennonisms "stand up for your love" with a cliched Zepellin-inspired riff (Beastie Boys did it better when they just straight up sampled a Zep riff)... and there you have it, a Rob Thomas solo song with a shot of Lennon and garnished with Zeppelin. Disgusting. Hi Niceman!

Hi Ozeeko! :wave:

Don't buy it. First off RHCP didn't invent funk, in fact a lot of their later stuff is missing funk. And as far as guitar sounds, I have no clue what you are talking about, if anything I think RHCP have changed their guitar sounds over the years to be closer to a cleaner U2/ melodic type of band sound.

Well if you don't buy it, I do. There's no monopoly on truth.

A bad synthesis of classic rock? Yep, that's Oasis alright. I think if you were to directly compare SUC to something, Oasis would sound like its nearest contemporary. Regardless, it is Led Zeppelin-inspired. I'm fairly sure Edge has said as much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom