U2's New Single: 'Blow Your House Down'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leaving the intentional sync issue aside, on what grounds is Blow your house down a better choice for a single compared to the EBTTRT remix ?

Pretty sure the live version was thought up before the remix was commissioned.

I'd take it a step further into the sort of area of conjecture you went into and say that it's more likely that he heard them do it like that at Glastonbury (with the mistakes and all) and thought it would be neat to make it sound similar. Well, it doesn't sound neat, it sounds sloppy.

But to say that the remix spawned the idea for the "new" EBTTRT version they did live, but they couldn't pull it off so they did it in time with one another, no way. They could pull it off that way if they wanted to.

Wasn't the video with the creepy skeleton woman done prior to Glastonbury? That uses the "messed up" intro. I'm not suggesting that the Glastonbury screw-up somehow inspired the remix.

And yes, my suggestion that U2 reverted to the original rhythm for the live version because it would be too hard to play the remix is pure speculation.

But again, let's forget the live version. Look back at this thread (and others) and there are plenty of people saying that the studio version is screwed up and needs to be fixed... that it somehow escaped the attention of the band and the remixer that the timing was "off"... that the song was released even though it has a glaring flaw in the intro... that they "need to go back and fix it." I think those theories are totally baseless (or to coin a phrase, "bat-shit crazy").

This is somewhat of a "chicken and the egg" argument.

Pretty sure the live version was thought up before the remix was commissioned.

I'd take it a step further into the sort of area of conjecture you went into and say that it's more likely that he heard them do it like that at Glastonbury (with the mistakes and all) and thought it would be neat to make it sound similar. Well, it doesn't sound neat, it sounds sloppy.

But to say that the remix spawned the idea for the "new" EBTTRT version they did live, but they couldn't pull it off so they did it in time with one another, no way. They could pull it off that way if they wanted to.

Actually, the new live version was based on Declan's remix and apparently supposed to be out of sync. From Willie's diary:

irst of all they played without the P.A. being turned on, to allow a gesture towards privacy (I was loving hearing everything with my new ‘ears’) and figure out how close to Dec's remix they could play live. The intro of the remix has the guitar riff and the drum part deliberately out of time with each other, before rationalising into a single rythmn at the huge kick in. This kind of thing is easy to do when cutting up a studio recording but playing it live is a whole other deal. Larry pointed out that if it was a drum part that was entirely new to him it would have been a lot easier, but the fact that it was so very familiar and a part that he'd played for years, to try to un-learn it and then deliberately play it out of time was a complete and utter 'head-wreck'.

Edit to add link: http://www.u2.com/tour/article/title/glove-thrown-down/willies_diary_360/76/82

Actually, the new live version was based on Declan's remix and apparently supposed to be out of sync. From Willie's diary:

Edit to add link: U2 > Sign In

Holy crap, I guess I was wrong! I concede it, sorry to morgan1098 for saying your theory was crazy.

I still don't like it and think they nailed it live way better, but hey, I was wrong about them wanting to do it one way vs the other. :up:

Holy crap, I guess I was wrong! I concede it, sorry to morgan1098 for saying your theory was crazy.

I still don't like it and think they nailed it live way better, but hey, I was wrong about them wanting to do it one way vs the other. :up:

I agree that for whatever reason the live version of the remix works better. In fact, I like that live version than the Zoo version.

I agree that for whatever reason the live version of the remix works better. In fact, I like that live version than the Zoo version.

I like the live 360 intro better, but I really really miss Edge's little parts during the song, especially on later incarnations such as Popmart. On 360 he's just playing chords and it seems like a bit of a step back. It's ok, but I like those earlier versions in the body of the song, better.

No worries, mate. I'm actually quite surprised that the theory was correct! Maybe even a little disappointed...

Oh, and I also understand why a lot of folks dislike the remix. My only bone of contention was that, love it or hate it, it's what the band intended.

Wow....imagine that. Facts. :)

There's a lesson in there...somewhere. Not all minority theories are "crazy." :)

And there's really no need to rub that in and start the same old shite again now is there? :)

Let's just continue on the discussion of U2's new single now the EBTTRT debate is solved. :)

So, raise your hand if you've heard "Blow Your House Down" on the radio.

Anyone?

Anyone?

[cricket sounds]

I heard So Cruel on KEXP this morning. That was lovely.

If any station in Seattle would play the "new" song, it would be The Mountain, but I haven't listened enough to know if it's in their rotation.

I usually don't listen to the radio unless I'm driving and I forgot my cds. Mostly it's terrible, but then there are the surprises, like when I heard Rise Above recently. :ohmy:

I heard BYHD last week on the radio. It was a local/indie station known for a wide range of music, mostly obscure with some good mainstream thrown in here and there- a much respected station. Totally caught me by surprise- was exciting to hear!

Leaving the intentional sync issue aside, on what grounds is Blow your house down a better choice for a single compared to the EBTTRT remix ?

EBTTRT has already been a single. To my mind, that disqualifies it. BYHD is the only one of the "new" songs which you can buy for less than $100. If they want a single to support the album, it seems like the only logical choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom