U2's "baby fans", "old timers", and in-betweens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have Batman to thank for getting me into U2. That's right, Batman. I was 7 and so totally into Batman Forever that I had the soundtrack. And of course, leading off that soundtrack...HMTMKMKM. I wasn't exactly an expert on music at that age, but I knew that song was something different, something cool. I loved that song but I didn't really get into U2 until ATYCLB. Beautiful Day was really tearing up VH1 (they've really stopped playing music in the 10 years since) and I just had to buy the CD. Ever since then, I've been a hardcore fan. Like many of you, I've always been the "U2 kid" in school. I even tried to be Bono at a junior high Halloween dance:reject:

As far as young fans vs. old fans, any older fans I've encountered at concerts have always been very cool. And speaking personally, as a younger fan (I'm 22), I think the reason younger people get into U2 is that because there is very little music today that offers any sort of deeper connection, whether it's artistic, spiritual, emotional, etc. U2 make those connections with me everytime.

And speaking personally, as a younger fan (I'm 22), I think the reason younger people get into U2 is that because there is very little music today that offers any sort of deeper connection, whether it's artistic, spiritual, emotional, etc. U2 make those connections with me everytime.

Amen.

And speaking personally, as a younger fan (I'm 22), I think the reason younger people get into U2 is that because there is very little music today that offers any sort of deeper connection, whether it's artistic, spiritual, emotional, etc. U2 make those connections with me everytime.

:yes: I totally agree.

As far as young fans vs. old fans, any older fans I've encountered at concerts have always been very cool. And speaking personally, as a younger fan (I'm 22), I think the reason younger people get into U2 is that because there is very little music today that offers any sort of deeper connection, whether it's artistic, spiritual, emotional, etc. U2 make those connections with me everytime.

:up: :yes:
I agree with your statement 100%!!!

I just turned 23 a week ago. My brother and sister are huge U2 fans (10 and 12 years older than I am.) they both saw Zoo TV and each subsequent tour. My mom actually bought the Joshua Tree, first U2 CD in my household, a month before I was born. When I was younger, I recall loving with or without you and bullet the blue sky...I'm talking when I was like 3 and 4. So I had a fairly big exposure to U2 just by growing up.

I was 10 when Pop came out and I remember really liking Discotheque, but I didn't really care about music too much.

then when I was 13, Beautiful Day came out and I was hooked. Then I saw my first U2 concert on the elevation tour in June in Albany. I was blown away. I had a baseball game the next day, but it was actually rained out and my sister had an extra ticket to the show in Hartford, so I went to that too. And then I saw them again in New Jersey a few weeks later. The rest is pretty much history. I've seen them 35 times (6 times on Elevation, 24 Vertigo, a David Letterman taping on the day NLOTH came out, and 4 360 shows) so I'm pretty much entirely insane. But it's cool. I'll be seeing them a bunch more times this summer too, just not sure which cities I'll go to yet. Being in CT, going to NJ and Philly and maybe Montreal is what it's looking like for me.

Well, you summed it up for me perfectly!

And eh, haha, I was going to be MacPhisto for Halloween in 12th grade because the seniors in our school got to dress up...but I could not find a freaking gold suit aaaaanywhere :|

I just turned 23 a week ago. My brother and sister are huge U2 fans (10 and 12 years older than I am.) they both saw Zoo TV and each subsequent tour. My mom actually bought the Joshua Tree, first U2 CD in my household, a month before I was born. When I was younger, I recall loving with or without you and bullet the blue sky...I'm talking when I was like 3 and 4. So I had a fairly big exposure to U2 just by growing up.

I was 10 when Pop came out and I remember really liking Discotheque, but I didn't really care about music too much.

then when I was 13, Beautiful Day came out and I was hooked. Then I saw my first U2 concert on the elevation tour in June in Albany. I was blown away. I had a baseball game the next day, but it was actually rained out and my sister had an extra ticket to the show in Hartford, so I went to that too. And then I saw them again in New Jersey a few weeks later. The rest is pretty much history. I've seen them 35 times (6 times on Elevation, 24 Vertigo, a David Letterman taping on the day NLOTH came out, and 4 360 shows) so I'm pretty much entirely insane. But it's cool. I'll be seeing them a bunch more times this summer too, just not sure which cities I'll go to yet. Being in CT, going to NJ and Philly and maybe Montreal is what it's looking like for me.

35 times at your age? Thats really awesome...good for you.....seriously:up:

Im going on #9 next month so i guess i have some catching up to do.

:drool: :love: Now you're making me all nostalgic! I still get excited when I see an OU sticker on a car, and I live in Kansas! I was there on that night and it's stamped on my brain like it was yesterday. It didn't seem cold to me, but I was standing in a sea of humanity; I think Bono was cold, though, since he needed a hot beverage on stage. :D

i wasn't cold really but the wind was sure blowing! Remember all the fog blowing around, i think even Bono mentioned something about the weather at some point in the show, something about the weather "making them feel at home" or whatever. Is it that windy in Ireland?

There were several guys and some girls in line behind us from Kansas. They seemed really cool. Also the people in front of us were from Tulsa. Its just really cool to see so many people from different places. I think there was a girl in front of the line that was from overseas somewhere, who flew in just for that show and camped out even.

Yeah that was a special night, everyone i have talked to said that was the best concert they had ever been too (by any band) and that the stage was wicked, out of this world. Its hard for people who aren't fans or weren't at the show to understand. I know to them i must be crazy. But people around this town must look at them differently after that night.

35 times at your age? Thats really awesome...good for you.....seriously:up:

Im going on #9 next month so i guess i have some catching up to do.

thanks. i realize and accept that it's totally insane, but if I can see them as often as possible, why not? being in Connecticut they play a ton of shows around me...I'm 4 hours from Philly, 2 hours from NYC and less than 2 from Boston. It's a nice place to be. I should also add that I've got to meet Bono and his autograph, ditto the Edge. It's cliche, but it's good to see that they are good guys too.

#9 isn't so bad though, i wish I was able to see Popmart, so you might be able to catch up to me but I'll never be able to go back to 97.

I have Batman to thank for getting me into U2. That's right, Batman. I was 7 and so totally into Batman Forever that I had the soundtrack. And of course, leading off that soundtrack...HMTMKMKM. I wasn't exactly an expert on music at that age, but I knew that song was something different, something cool. I loved that song but I didn't really get into U2 until ATYCLB. Beautiful Day was really tearing up VH1 (they've really stopped playing music in the 10 years since) and I just had to buy the CD. Ever since then, I've been a hardcore fan. Like many of you, I've always been the "U2 kid" in school. I even tried to be Bono at a junior high Halloween dance:reject:

Great post!!

Lack of good music today helps U2 out a lot with the younger crowd.

Then we find out that, in addition to the lack of other stuff, U2 is amazingly good and then we're hooked!

Another reason is simply that U2 have been big and relevant for so long that people of all ages are bound to give them a look. A certain percentage of them are going to get taken in.

That is awesome you've seen them 35 times and are only 23 like me! I am going on 5 and 6 with Philly and Montreal this summer. You are right, though, given the fact that we live in New England, it is really quite easy for us to rack up a good amount of shows every tour, especially if they are doing arenas.

Your halloween story reminds me of the time I was Larry Sophomore year of College! It didn't take much work, just spiked my hair up a little more than usual and went for the JT/last leg Vertigo look.

I have had many people tell me that I look like Larry, only with darker hair!

In fact, people who knew I was the "U2 kid" in college would often tell me after looking at an album cover or poster I had "small wonder, you look exactly like the drummer."

I'm flattered, but truth be told, and this is from a perfectly straight guy, Larry is a bit better looking than I am I think.

Yeah, damn I don't know how you could afford/schedule seeing them 35 times in a decade, most of the superfans stretching back to the early days you see around here haven't even reached that number.

Beautiful Day was really tearing up VH1 (they've really stopped playing music in the 10 years since) and I just had to buy the CD. Ever since then, I've been a hardcore fan. Like many of you, I've always been the "U2 kid" in school.

That's kind of how it went for me too. I had Achtung Baby already, but with Beautiful Day and Walk On, I had to buy ATYCLB right away. I know a lot of people don't put it that highly on their list, but I think that will always be my solid #2 album by them as a result. Good memories from that time and that album in general.

I relate to the "U2 kid" comment as well. :p Actually, around two years ago, I started talking to this old friend of mine from high school online, and among some questions she sent one time was "Do you still love U2? I think of you every time I hear one of their songs." Guess that stands for something, haha!

I even tried to be Bono at a junior high Halloween dance:reject:

And eh, haha, I was going to be MacPhisto for Halloween in 12th grade because the seniors in our school got to dress up...but I could not find a freaking gold suit aaaaanywhere :|

Your halloween story reminds me of the time I was Larry Sophomore year of College! It didn't take much work, just spiked my hair up a little more than usual and went for the JT/last leg Vertigo look.

I suppose everyone's stories here have to make me throw my own one in! Back in high school, I was in this TV productions class, where we basically had to make our own news/entertainment show that the school would play on the TVs around the building several times a day. I had a pretty well-known reputation in the area for being a comedian of sorts with these shows, as I could always come up with something funny to do or say that would crack everyone up. That or something creative enough to make the show worthwhile.

Anyways, another part of this show was doing the occasional commercial to fill air time. So we'd just find something to promote that was either real or made-up. One day, I got the idea somehow to dress up like The Fly and promote "lemons" in the process. Keep in mind that I didn't have a pair of leather pants at the time, but I did manage to make due with my mom's big black sunglasses, my dad's black motorcycle jacket from the 70s, and a pair of Nike running pants, lol. So long story short, my friend basically filmed a minute of me doing my best Zoo TV-era Bono impression while obsessing over this lemon in the hallway and running around the school with it like we were best friends, with the song playing over it. It was weird, but it got some laughs and I think my older sister was the only one who got it once she saw it. "Oh my God, Bono!" was her exact reaction, I think!

I ended up doing a sequel a few months later, this time promoting Vanilla Coke with Even Better Than The Real Thing playing the whole time. Maybe one day I can dig these up and see if they'll catch on on Youtube. Yet again, that might not be such a good idea now!

I relate to the "U2 kid" comment as well. :p Actually, around two years ago, I started talking to this old friend of mine from high school online, and among some questions she sent one time was "Do you still love U2? I think of you every time I hear one of their songs." Guess that stands for something, haha!

I was that kid to friends, teachers, and even friends' parents :huh:
The vice principle at my high school was a big fan, and he used to stop me to talk in the hall all the time. I was late to class several times because of him :lol: He called me down to his office once to watch some video of Daughty performing SBS with the Red Rocks video in the background. That was a little awkward, haha.
My English teacher in 11th grade, after seeing my books covered in pictures withing the first week of class, launched into a teasing ritual that lasted the entire year.

One day, I got the idea somehow to dress up like The Fly and promote "lemons" in the process. Keep in mind that I didn't have a pair of leather pants at the time, but I did manage to make due with my mom's big black sunglasses, my dad's black motorcycle jacket from the 70s, and a pair of Nike running pants, lol. So long story short, my friend basically filmed a minute of me doing my best Zoo TV-era Bono impression while obsessing over this lemon in the hallway and running around the school with it like we were best friends, with the song playing over it. It was weird, but it got some laughs and I think my older sister was the only one who got it once she saw it. "Oh my God, Bono!" was her exact reaction, I think!

What the...:lmao: That sounds like a riot and a half...I demand you find it and upload that baby to YouTube!

I guess I'm an old timer. Fan for about 23 years. First bought Joshua Tree and UF on Cassette when I was 14/15. There's just something about this band that gets your heart and doesnt let it go.

What the...:lmao: That sounds like a riot and a half...I demand you find it and upload that baby to YouTube!

Haha... well, I'm pretty sure I have a videotape of it somewhere back at my parents house, along with all the other bits I did for that show. Heck, there's a actually a few non-U2 things that I'd be curious to see what the reactions would be. If I ever get around to finding it though and putting it on my computer, you'll be the first to know! ;)

I am 22 going on 23. I started liking U2 when I was four years old. I have always been more fond of older rock, as it's what my parents listened to. I don't connect well with artists close to my age because, well, I don't. I don't like the music most of the time and I've never connected well with other music fans my age either due to this.

Yeah, damn I don't know how you could afford/schedule seeing them 35 times in a decade, most of the superfans stretching back to the early days you see around here haven't even reached that number.

Yeah...that would be me! I am one of the old timers who has only been to 5 shows...JT, ZooTV, Vertigo, Somerville and 360. (although I am adding 2 more 360 shows this summer :hyper:) Things like school, work, kids, and lack of funds have always gotten in the way! I am amazed at how many shows some people have been to--and very jealous too!

At least you were around for JT and ZooTV! I'm also insanely jealous that you got tickets to Somerville, I spent like the whole week trying frantically to win tickets.

At least you were around for JT and ZooTV! I'm also insanely jealous that you got tickets to Somerville, I spent like the whole week trying frantically to win tickets.

Somerville was one of the very few times I have ever been truly elated to be employed in the low pay, high b.s. concert security industry!

I called my boss as soon as I knew a "secret show" was coming to Boston and told him I'm on for the entire day.

I don't think I'll ever forget leaving school in Burlington, VT at 3 AM and making my way down the ice covered interstate with white knuckles the entire time in route to Somerville! I remember thinking that I was crazier and crazier with each car that slid off the road and down an embankment in front of me.

Luckily, I made it, was able to meet all 4 guys and wow, what a show it was! I was right down at the stage front, Edge's side, and its an experience I will never forget. The show literally went by in about 5 seconds it seemed.

I do consider myself very lucky to have seen all the above!!! Winning tickets to the Somerville show made up for all those shows I missed out on over the years!

I've only been to around 7 shows. First one was JT in 1987. For me I'd actually rather see less shows as it means more to me. I think it would be less special (for me) to go to like 35 shows. Plus I would get them all mixed up and not remember what happened at which show lol.

Back
Top Bottom