U2 to Perform First Concerts at MSG Sphere in Las Vegas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup - it's called Sphere Immersive Sound. 164,000 separate speakers beaming the audio directly to each seat.

this venue will either move live music forward by a considerable stretch - or be a complete, unmitigated disaster that risks putting MSG out of business.

not sure if there's any in-between.

Good thing U2 has never ever screwed up anything in Las Vegas before.

Certainly looks like they're getting ready to make an announcement soon

MSG Sphere developing show with Darren Aronofsky

By John Katsilometes
Las Vegas Review-Journal

The MSG Sphere looks like a planet.

Ours, specifically.

That design should be optimized as venue is moving ahead with its plans for its tailor-made, theatrical production, reportedly to open in October. According to sources familiar with The Sphere’s planning, look for the title “Postcard From Earth,” from filmmaker Darren Aronofsky.

An announcement of these plans is expected this month. We’re also about overdue for specifics on the “U2: UV Achtung Baby Live at the Sphere” launch, set for The Sphere’s opening in late September.

Known as one of the more adventurous directors in the business, Aronofsky directed “The Whale,” with Oscar winner Brendan Fraser in the title role. Aronofsky himself was nominated for Best Director for “Black Swan,” and his credits include “The Wrestler,” which produced Oscar-nominated performances by Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei.

The title “The Sphere Experience” is also being reviewed for Las Vegas production. That’s what this show is to be, running twice daily, about an hour long, and (ideally) driving thousands of people through the venue at less than $100 a pop.

According to the Film and Television Industry Alliance (FITA) website production list.com, the plot summary: “An immersive and innovative exploration of planet Earth through the eyes of two human beings, Byron and Fang.”

The experience is not designed to compete with headlining superstars, production shows or sporting events in Las Vegas. The idea is to appeal to convention businesses and conferences, as part of an overall entertainment package for a Vegas experience.

This is the first time in recent memory that my spouse has been excited to spend (a stupid amount of) money on a concert. LFG

Yeah my wife is o board as long as the logistics work out, so let's get those dates announced.

My wife is not onboard at all. No Larry = no U2.

Still, if she's not up for it then I can probably afford to bump myself up to business class so you know, every cloud and that.

ok folks - we're going to have to interrupt your regularly scheduled baseless speculation for a special announcement from a long defunct organization...

comingsoon.jpg

Just announced by MSG Sphere

Postcard from Earth - A Sphere Experience
Coming this fall

Postcard from Earth is our very first Sphere Experience and will utilize the full breadth of Sphere’s technological capabilities to create a multi-sensory storytelling journey. Created specifically for Sphere, Postcard From Earth will be the first-of-its kind, not just for Las Vegas shows, but anywhere in the world. Production is currently underway, and it will offer a unique perspective on the magnificent beauty of life on Earth at an unparalleled scale. There will be no event like it.

Tickets available tomorrow – Wednesday, April 12 at 10:00am PT

https://www.thespherevegas.com/shows/postcard-from-earth?camefrom=cfc_sphere

New Content Unwrapped For MSG Sphere This Fall
The Hollywood Reporter

When the MSG Sphere opens this fall in Las Vegas, content will include an immersive production dubbed Postcard From Earth, which, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal, is set to be directed by The Whale helmer Darren Aronofsky.

Madison Square Garden Entertainment didn’t confirm the participation of Aronofsky, whose film The Whale won an Oscar last month for best actor Brendan Fraser, but has said that it would work with Hollywood directors to create content for its massive sphere-shaped entertainment venue, set to open this fall with a series of concerts from U2.

Plans also call for hour-long programs dubbed Sphere Experiences, such as Postcard From Earth, to run multiple times a day at the venue. They will be made by directors working with in-house Sphere Studios to take advantage of the venue’s capabilities including its 160,000-square-foot 16K-by-16K wraparound LED display, custom spatial audio system, and 4D capabilities enabled through haptic seats and environmental effects.

Construction costs for the venue have ballooned during the course of planning. “Our construction cost estimate for MSG Sphere remains $2.175 billion, while project to-date construction costs through December 31st were approximately $2 billion,” stated CFO David Byrnes on a Feb. 9 earnings call.

According to the April 10 announcement, Postcard from Earth will offer “a unique perspective on the magnificent beauty of life on Earth.” Last year during a panel in the NAB Show, reps said Sphere Studios planned to put its custom camera system on the International Space Station, though this was not mentioned by MSG Entertainment in today’s announcement.

Tickets for Postcard go on sale on Wednesday, starting at $49.

Said MSG Entertainment executive chairman and CEO James L. Dolan in a statement released on Tuesday: “Sphere provides a new medium for directors, artists and brands to create experiences that cannot be seen or told anywhere else, and Sphere Experiences are just one of the ways we will use the venue’s technologies to engage the senses and transport audiences to places both real and imagined. Postcard From Earth will set a new bar for multi-sensory storytelling possibilities, and we look forward to having audiences experience it at Sphere this fall.”

Is this U2 news? Well, not technically. But it does mean that the folks at MSG have an opening date if they are ready to put tickets on sale for events beginning TOMORROW.

Which means that a U2 ticket announcement can not be far behind.

Because of this I'm going to have to raise the current threat level from YELLOW to ORANGE.

Prepare accordingly.

OFFICEOFU2SECURITY.jpg

Ohana Fest was just announced today for the same rumored opening weekend of The Sphere.

Eddie Vedder, The Killers and Foo Fighters to headline. Presale starts Thursday.

so the timing of mid/late april for tickets for a destination show pretty much jives up with what everyone else is doing.

That Ohana lineup is excellent. Very tempting.

That Ohana Fest lineup is great. And the Sphere Experience actually sounds interesting. Does it say when the first one will take place?

Now, give me some U2 dates. And some prices.

That Ohana Fest lineup is great. And the Sphere Experience actually sounds interesting. Does it say when the first one will take place?

Now, give me some U2 dates. And some prices.
Nothing on the main site but news reports say October.

Which means the Sphere will be open no later than October, and if they're putting this shit on sale tomorrow, it means they're fairly confident in that fact.

All things that bode extremely well for the rumored late September/ early October U2 gigs.

Oh, and yes - yes it does

64358dae0738aa4d291a8dbc_Ohana-2023_admat_2023-04-11_no-border.jpg

https://twitter.com/u2songs/status/1646120522483220482?s=46&t=ZkUhliUWg8tFz5fD232lFg

$69 - $169 for a Sphere Experience is…interesting.

But hey, we have an idea of what the seating chart could be!

i swear some of these dummies don't bother reading.

the press release and articles listed 10,000 seats available for this show. the full capacity of the venue is 17,000 to 20,000 - depending on the layout of the lower section. for this show - they're not using the lower section.

it also - as many have pointed out - shows that the best seats for these shows may, in fact, be the 300 and 400 level - at least as far as the screen and multimedia extravaganza goes.

there's also the inevitable "ehrmagard if dey iz churging 60 to 169 dollarydoos fer a moovie wut uhr they gonna churge fer You2?" ridiculousness.

if you're looking at this as a movie - like taking your kids to see Super Mario Brothers? Sure -that seems nuts. if you're looking at it as an experience and show the the vein of other vegas show experiences - your cirque du soleil style shit and what not? then the prices are about right.

prices for the beatles "love" show at the Mirage - which has been playing for 17 years - runs from $69 dollars to $250 - with a running time of just under 90 minutes.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to convince my fiance to fly to Vegas and let me go while she blows the rest of our money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom