U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not watched the Grammy performance yet, but disappointed they chose to play GOOYOW. Seriously, enough of this song!

Wow, USA TODAY shreds U2’s Grammy performance as one of the night’s worst. “Next time, leave them on the barge until they decide to stop using the country’s legitimate traumas for their empty posturing.”

shCsw9o.jpg

A bit stunned that the 4th largest newspaper in the country killed U2 like this. Damn!

I'm sure that's completely tame compared to what's on Twitter and elsewhere. It's not stunning, plenty of people feel that way.

Don't think USA Today matters in the grand scheme of things. It's a free hotel newspaper.

Surprisingly the USA Today network gets more unique monthly online visits than buzz feed and huffington post.

Wow, USA TODAY shreds U2’s Grammy performance as one of the night’s worst. “Next time, leave them on the barge until they decide to stop using the country’s legitimate traumas for their empty posturing.”

shCsw9o.jpg

Ehh, clearly “they” were triggered. I see that quite a few people liked it, and to my surprise it’s trending. Fuck critics.

Who wrote the USA Today article? That’s some coded deplorable language.

Usually USA Today falls over itself loving U2.

I do wish that they did a string arrangement performance of another song like they did on BBC. I get that they are a “political band” but for the life of me I wish they would let the music do the talking on stages like this. It’s moments like that where I can see why people cringe at this band. It just feels too set up as a narrative to pander to the political conversation. It’s coming off to me as less genuine than they were when they were younger. They can annoy that crap out of me but it’s funny to see comments from people that they are throwing out their cds and burning concert tickets like why?

Last edited:
I did my part and made a snarky comment mocking USA Today's readership in the comment section of that article. It's the least I could do.

U2 chooses to get political at the Grammys but doesn't play a song like Summer of Love (with Lady Gaga already being at the show) or Red Flag Day? What is going on with them, seriously?

U2 chooses to get political at the Grammys but doesn't play a song like Summer of Love (with Lady Gaga already being at the show) or Red Flag Day? What is going on with them, seriously?
I mean... you can make the argument that those songs should be the singles, and I'd be inclined to agree.

But if they're pushing Get Out, then they should play Get Out.

Ehh, clearly “they” were triggered. I see that quite a few people liked it, and to my surprise it’s trending. Fuck critics.

You can clearly tell that the writer cannot objectively review the performance due to some probable past issue with the band or they are just trying to be hip since I guess it’s cool to bash U2 no matter what? The whole performance was political, NYC and the Statue of Liberty backdrop, cmon, and beyond that it was a great performance.

I stopped caring what critics thought about U2 after NLOTH. Fair, reasoned critique of U2 without a ton of tenuously-related personal and/or sociopolitical baggage is the unicorn of rock journalism.

I mean... you can make the argument that those songs should be the singles, and I'd be inclined to agree.

But if they're pushing Get Out, then they should play Get Out.

Fair point. I am just salty because I think the song is bland and by-the-numbers, the pre-taped performance on the barge robbed the band of their talent when performing live and Larry looked like he was there at gunpoint. I love the guys to death but this was brutal.

"U2's new phase of wokeness"?! Lolololol. This performance was so much quintessential, old-ass U2 (for better and worse) that it's painful. The problem is the song this "posturing" was tied to; it's so static, bland and showcases Bono's strengths and emotional range as a vocalist extremely poorly. GOOYOW was first put up on streaming services in early november; at this point they should've moved on and released Summer of Love as a single in time for this performance.

U2 playing SoL with a small string section and Lady Gaga doing backing vocals during the bridge would've been a highlight of the entire show, but instead while it was probably their best performance of GOOYOW to date the band looked tired because the song sounds tired.

GOOYOW is up to #78 in iTunes singles, the YouTube video of their performance if currently the #13 "trending" video on this site, and the album is up to #26 on iTunes (and #34 on Amazon) after charting at #188 on Billboard last week. Definitely getting a bit of a Grammys bump.

U2 playing SoL with a small string section and Lady Gaga doing backing vocals during the bridge would've been a highlight of the entire show, but instead while it was probably their best performance of GOOYOW to date the band looked tired because the song sounds tired.

I’m good with them playing GOOYOW but here is the thing. Millennial U2 is best in a more traditional setting by that I mean on a stage in an arena vs in the middle of the Hudson or on a flatbed truck driving through NYC or on the roof of the Tonight Show building (i.e. you don’t need a gimmick).

The EMA performance of EBW was incredible. The Walk On performance at the Grammys was awesome, Beautiful Day at the VH1 awards was perfect(except that slight note miss at the end by Edge) hell, I don’t like OL but that Oscar performance was great.

I say that because SOL on stage with a Lady Gaga(or without) would have been PERFECT.

Perhaps next year they will perform the Showman on the Moon during the telecast.

I give them a lot of credit for that performance. It takes a great deal of courage for a music artist to call out Trump these days, particularly on a show like the Grammys.

I think it's safe to say U2 is squarely back on the cutting edge and no one can doubt their relevance anymore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom