U2 (Minus Bono) playing in NYC Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce doing Streets was the realization of a fever dream I've been having since 7th grade.

He's great on ISHF, and the crowd was totally into it. Good stuff. Those 4 son gs are deathless.

Sent from

I wish Bruce would've done Lemon. His voice is perfectly suited for that song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wish Bruce would've done Lemon. His voice is perfectly suited for that song.

tumblr_lk8j6qmj7K1qzu5wc.gif

So yeah I missed this because of a Scout thing for my son but I just watched ISHF via Youtube. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I miss our B-man. I dont know if I am going to watch the rest of the performances if they surface (the live stream has a giant censor bar over it now). Adam's hair is perfect and I keep falling more in love with it every show. Other than that, I'm gonna keep hoping that B makes a fabulous recovery, because dammit, this hurt more than it should have. :reject:

Good to know B's in Dublin...surely that's a GOOD sign. They wouldn't have released him from NYC otherwise. :up:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I just got back from the concert!! Awesome night but it left something to be desired. There's just no replacing the B man.

Some notes:
Preshow everyone around me was talking about either Bono-less U2 or Kanye. Younger girls were screaming about Chris Martin, about a zillion umbrella selfies happened & there were a few people asking why U2 were still around..

The sound was great in person. Curious to listen to a stream to hear more of the nuances in the vocals.

The crowd was dead for Chris Martin.. Kinda upsetting. I thought he did a fine job. Lots sang along to WOWY though. Just no energy for BD.

Larry's intro for Kanye made me crack up hahaha the crowd practically backed up a step.

Streets intro sent chills down my spine. Looking around during the opening chimes and taking in the Times Square scene was incredible.

Bruce's performance was kind of exactly what I'd expect it to be haha

EVERYONE took a zillion photos of Bruce + U2. Smart phones were much more present than umbrellas.

Very very fun night!! Get well soon Bono!!!

I'm watching it now here on the West Coast. Chris doing Beautiful Day is weird. Maybe it translated better there live and in person?

Chris Martin's performance made me remember just how much I appreciate having Bono as U2's frontman. Chris wasn't bad, but Bono is amazing and adds so much even on a bad night. Few can match him, although Matt Bellamy came close back in 2010.

Larry Mullen's introduction for Kanye West was more stronger than Kanye's voice during his own performance. Larry should have just covered for Kanye. Would have nailed it.

So yea none of the vocal performances were that great... but ya know, singing is kinda hard. Singing someone else's songs without adjusting the music to your own voice? Also kinda hard. Singing someone else's songs on a small stage in a wide open space with all sorts of interference and no sound check with 4 different singers all using the same sound system in short order? That it didn't sound like chickens being slaughtered is a miracle.

Cut em some fucking slack. The alternative was canceling the show.

Chris Martin's starry-eyed performance was weak and uncomfortable. It really didn't help that the other three members of U2 were as stone-faced as Martin was thrilled.

Bruce should have changed the first line of Streets to "Baby we were born to run" just because..

I'm way more curious to hear what U2 would sound like covering Born to Run than what Bruce would sound like singing Streets.

Bono, Bruce and Dave Stewart doing Because The Night is one of my absolute favorite things to ever happen.

Just started watching - nice to see the rest of the band getting on with it - even though I am sure if Bono was there they would have played some newer material.

Just started watching - nice to see the rest of the band getting on with it - even though I am sure if Bono was there they would have played some newer material.
And they probably would have bored the majority with stripped-down renditions of some of the new material.

Lemon by Kanye sounds like a fragrance but also a very awesome cover of a very interesting song

I was there tonight and I just watched the playback on YouTube and the sound in person was way better for everyone's vocals! If you take Chris Martin and Bruce for as they are, and not Bono, then I think they did quite fine. And when the Streets intro kicks in...ahh, just gets that adrenaline flowing, enhanced by Times Square lights...ahhh...:drool: I think the other three all stepped up their presence some in the absence of Bono.

Anyhow, that was great fun! I think the band is ready to get out there, now we just need the singer to be. :) In other notes, sad to say that I think there were more people there for Kanye than for anyone else. OMG, I was right in front of speakers and his bass literally was blowing my hair back, it was crazy!

Back
Top Bottom