U2 At The Oscars - Post Your Thoughts Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hi everyone! As you all know, U2 is nominated for BEST ORIGINAL SONG this year at the Oscars.. and will be performing "The Hands That Built America" during the show.

The ceremony will be broadcast at 530 PT/830 ET on ABC, and is hosted by Steve Martin. If watching internationally, check your local listings.

This thread is here for you to discuss U2's chances of winning, their performance, etc.

For regular Oscar discussion, visit Lemonade Stand. :wave:

:bono: :edge: :larry: :adam:

Last edited:
Yep, 7:30 our time.

U2 has a big chance to win. I've heard people saying since they won their Golden Globe that how you do at the Golden Globes determines how you'll do at the Oscars.

And since U2 won a Golden Globe...then their Oscar-winning chances are looking pretty good.

And it'll be fun to see them perform their song as well.

This could be a really good night for us U2 fans.

*Still hoping ABC will just air the show with no breaking war news.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Yep, 7:30 our time.

Just out of curiosity-what time zone are you in?I want to see them perform, but I need to go to bed early(b/c i hafta get up early) & I want to know if I'll be able to watch it or if I should tape it. Thanks!

I hope that they win- they deserve to win, and I think that Bono will definitely incorporate something about the war into their performance

My prediction: they will win :D

I wish I could watch it but I don't have the channel in which the show will be aired :( So I'll have to wait until tomorrow to know what have happened!

Ps.- This is my 500th post :hyper:

they are soooo gonna win :D haha

who are they up against ?

and does anyone know what time its on in the UK ? im too lazy to go find the TV guide :crack: :p

worst case scenario:

"and the oscar for best song goes to.......we interrupt this live broadcast for breaking news from Baghdad"

well maybe not worst case but close enough....

I think they have a high chance now that Eminem isnt performing. Otherwise they probably would have given it to him just to be "controversial".

Regardless, I'm really pumped to see them perform Hands live. That will be cool, I hope someone out there makes an MP3 of it for us all!!!!! Yee haw!!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think the other nominees are
and the nominees are!

Original Song

"Burn It Blue" from FRIDA (Miramax) Music by Elliot Goldenthal, Lyrics by Julie Taymor

"Father and Daughter" from THE WILD THORNBERRYS MOVIE (Paramount and Nickelodeon Movies) Music and Lyrics by Paul Simon

"The Hands That Built America" from GANGS OF NEW YORK (Miramax) Music and Lyrics by Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen

"I Move On" from CHICAGO (Miramax) Music by John Kander, Lyrics by Fred Ebb

"Lose Yourself" from 8 MILE (Universal) Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto, Lyrics by Eminem

Why isn't Eminem performing?

I can't wait to see it live! I wonder what's going to happen during the Pavarotti section. Will it be dubbed? Will it solely be instrumental? For that matter, will the orchestra accompany them?

Wouldn't it be great if they said: "Well, we've decided not to perform The Hands That Built America. Instead, here's an old song we've done. It's called Please."

Wooo! They changed the words in the final verse! I got so excited I didn't even catch what the words were beyond "It's early spring, yellow clouds in the desert sky, a father's son..."

I'm glad I taped the performance so I can see it again when the Oscars are over.

Holy crap, Adrien Brody just won Best Actor! I never expected that! (Sorry for going off-topic...)

SO good to see them!!!

I am loving how larry added at the end the few drum beats to the start of Sunday Bloody Sunday!!! F'in brilliant. :yes: :larry:

and WOW :drool: for the whole performance!!!!!!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Well, at least they have the Grammys to get payback with.

I liked the performance, and Bono's voice was great, especially considering it wasn't in a studio.

I can't believe they lose to Eminem!!! AAAHHH!!! At least we got to see an awesome performance of Hands, great vocalso by Bono, now the obvious question than no one has asked yet: Anyone recorded a mp3 of it?????

I cannot believe U2 lost!!!!! :madspit: This just sucks. To me, you just don't snub U2!

I was very disappointed they didn't perform the second verse of the song.

Back
Top Bottom