U2 360° At The Rose Bowl DVD & Blu-Ray - [Possible New Songs] - All Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the new Q magazine yesterday and they have a small section where it previews new albums in the works. It claims U2's new album is due late 2010.

'New songs and not No Line on the Horizon: The Leftovers. Don't expect it until after Glastonbury, though.'

Now Q are relatively well-informed about these sorts of things, I'm not saying their word is gospel, just that they might have heard inside news that we haven't. They do after all have an excellent relationship with U2.

Mikey why did you have to go and tell me thi????!! Now I'm all positive again, this can only end in tears...
.......MAYBE they went into the studio intent to finish SOA, then hit a rich vein of form as they say and decided they could put out a new album of brand new songs, not related to SOA?? That's why we've got these very mixed signals regarding new material. I know this sounds like crap but this is what U2 do to me!!!!!!!! Clutching at straws desperately!!!

is this really such a BIG deal? watch the bonus version of it, then watch the concert.

in 6 months, no one will care that it doesn't start the first disc, diehard fans included.

edit: I'm not just picking on you chrissybaby, I just chose your post to respond to :wink:

Fair point and I know what you mean, but it just seems a bit bizarre...
My real pain comes from the lack of new material, when all we've been hearing about is studio time after Germany, SOA, EBW etc etc...

Like I said I probably am just in a bad mood...:wave:

I got the new Q magazine yesterday and they have a small section where it previews new albums in the works. It claims U2's new album is due late 2010.

'New songs and not No Line on the Horizon: The Leftovers. Don't expect it until after Glastonbury, though.'

Now Q are relatively well-informed about these sorts of things, I'm not saying their word is gospel, just that they might have heard inside news that we haven't. They do after all have an excellent relationship with U2.

seriously though, U2 and Q are in each others pockets, so this info sounds very good, this new album section in Q is normally spot on:up:

Yes, it is a big deal. We're supposed to pop in disk 2, navigate the bonus features menu to Breathe, watch it, then pop out disk 2, put in disk 1, navigate the menu to start the show? That's just idiotic.

it's annoying if you're devoted to recreating the concert in it's entirety, in the exact order, everytime you watch..

I guess I do this once or twice with concert dvds, but eventually I just want to watch a couple songs here and there, in which case, this isn't a big deal.

My real pain comes from the lack of new material, when all we've been hearing about is studio time after Germany, SOA, EBW etc etc...

Like I said I probably am just in a bad mood...:wave:

I hear you.. I hope this 7" gives a new song or two.
and hey, we still might hear some new songs live.

The fact whether it does or does not work is not the point, Breathe has been the opener for nearly all (except one!) concerts last year and frankly it's an integral part of the 360° tour! Space Oddity, Kingdom, Larry walking out and belting out the Breathe drumroll: That's how I remember the 360° tour and I'm definitely not the only one.

Great stuff when I kick back now and watch the DVD and the thing starts chopped off with Get On Your Boots! Again, I'm not saying Breathe is a great song or a great opener, but for crying out loud: How can you cut the OPENER of a show?

I don't mind all this cutting nonsense that U2 usually does, I really couldn't care less if there is XY on this DVD or YZ on the other one, but who on earth would want a DVD of the last tours without the opener (Vertigo, Elevation, Mofo and Zoo Station)?? If any of those were cut I'd like to read some reactions here!

If there's something I remember from U2 concerts I went to the last 20 years it's AT LEAST the opener and the first few minutes. That's when the spectacle gets rolling. Who will ever forget the first Elevation concert he/she saw where Bono walked onto the stage and ripped into Elevation? Who will forget the Popmusik/Mofo transition when the LED-Wall exploded with colors? Who will forget Bono's cracking silouettes during ZooTV? Why you would cut that out is beyond me...

I agree completely with this!

And since they did put it on some versions of the DVD as a bonustrack, it means that the quality must be good. So that's not the reason for not beginning the DVD with the opener.
A reason could be that they were not satisfied with Breathe as the opener, afterwards....After playing it 44 times in a row, they came to the conclusion it didn't work and decided to leave it out, since GOYB is more catchy to start with...? Another reason could be GOYB works better for the mainstream?
Whatever is the reason, it's very weird, and I am curious about their explanation...

I'd agree with you if this was something new and exclusive to the band...

But it's been around since the 90's and used by most bands. :huh:

To an extent, yeah. But U2 is by far the most extreme case I'm familiar with.

This might be a stupid question but didn't they leave off a song on a previous dvd, just because they couldn't fit the whole concert on 1 disc??

I forgot which song and which concert it was :lol: but I do remember that was the reason (think even one of their crew members mentioned it in a short interview on the site)
In that case I understand , but why on earth they would leave the opener off, is a big mystery..

The first band I remember doing this that I followed was REM with 'Out of Time', and all it was was special packaging and artwork. No extra songs but a ridiculous price.

Ever since then it slowly became the norm, and no U2 isn't even close to being the extreme case. I think Radiohead's last release was much more extreme than this...

ok, so Q says there's a new album later this year. that's great news. hopefully we still get a couple NLOTH leftovers in some shape or form before the tour.

It's annoying for us who know the set and want to recreate the live experience (as far as that's even possible with a DVD release), but I guess most people who haven't seen a 360 show won't notice the difference between Breathe and Boots as openers.

The first band I remember doing this that I followed was REM with 'Out of Time', and all it was was special packaging and artwork. No extra songs but a ridiculous price.

Ever since then it slowly became the norm, and no U2 isn't even close to being the extreme case. I think Radiohead's last release was much more extreme than this...

Yes, it's a general complaint as well as a specific U2 complaint. But I think U2 are a bit too tricky with it. I'm cool with, say, standard release and spanked up release, and if they really must go nuts, if each version is just building on the other (A has this + this, B has that + that + this, C has that + that + that + this), but hate it when A has this and this, B has one of those, and something else, C has neither of those things, but two other different things. That sucks.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the master audio is really jacked up for Breathe & they just couldn't fix it?? And U2 decided to at least put Breathe as a bonus just to document it. So strange.

I will be really pissed if they interview one of the members ( I can see Edge saying this) and this is stated:

Interviewer: Many fans and myself noticed Breathe was left off the DVD release of the 360 show.

Edge: Yeah, looking back at the concert we just felt it didn't work as an opener

:angry:

I feel like buying the Blu-Ray & the 2-Disc Deluxe...Blu-Ray cause I want to see the extra content. 2-Disc Deluxe for the whole shebang.

Ehh, I don't know, so much goodness.:drool:

I will be really pissed if they interview one of the members ( I can see Edge saying this) and this is stated:

Interviewer: Many fans and myself noticed Breathe was left off the DVD release of the 360 show.

Edge: Yeah, looking back at the concert we just felt it didn't work as an opener

:angry:

Substitude Breathe with Mysterious Ways and 360 with Slane (and oh, 'an opener' with 'in that position') and you have more or less an exact quote about the Slane DVD release.

Substitude Breathe with Mysterious Ways and 360 with Slane (and oh, 'an opener' with 'in that position') and you have more or less an exact quote about the Slane DVD release.

And lets be honest, people seem to love the paris joshua tree DVD but yet thats missing its opener, granted its not a U2 song that opened but its still missing the concert opener, so some moan they hated breathe as the opener, now they moan that its missing because it was the concert opener, but yet they love the Paris show which is.....missing its opener!

I would think the 7" would be the new song and Kingdom as the B-side. And of course you can download the tracks once you buy the DVD/Blu Ray. :up:

And lets be honest, people seem to love the paris joshua tree DVD but yet thats missing its opener, granted its not a U2 song that opened but its still missing the concert opener, so some moan they hated breathe as the opener, now they moan that its missing because it was the concert opener, but yet they love the Paris show which is.....missing its opener!

As many have stated "Breathe" was a integral part of the concert. Wasn't the best opener but that's what 99% witnessed, experienced, and lived with as the U2 opener for the 2009 tour. And now we can't relive it.

u2 can put a 7" in their box but they can't include bono singing 10" cockatoo?

ponderous.

this is stupid. i will buy the blu-ray anyways, but it's still stupid.

any downloadable new content will just be the 2010 streams and maybe an mp3 of kingdom. that's it.

new u2 tour in 2012, just in time for the mayans to fuck us all.

Well, to have Kingdom as a full release would at least be something. It's a great song and it would make sense to release it with the DVD since everyone who went to the concerts knows the song already.

I hope the Q rumour is true. The album could still be Songs of Ascent. It doesn't have to be an album full of NLOTH leftovers. From all we've heard in the last months, U2 have been writing new material.

Well, MW on Slane had Bono's underage daughter. And while some songs were cut from other DVDs before (Sydney, Boston) they were not openers.

Are they going straight into Boots ? No Kingdom ? Kingdom - Boots (awkward transition) ?

:down:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom