Tour Rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we have many news and rumours concerning U2 shows in France. RTL2 radio et NICEMATIN news paper have anounced (just rumours): paris, sdf 10 and 11 july, Nice 15 july. The latest news (view link) anouce a possible concert in Velodrome Stadium of Marseile(recently live show of Police, ACDC, Stones...) and anounce that tickets could be available at the end of this month with an anoucement tour in mid-febrary.

U2 Achtung | News, Actualit?

Don't know if this has been posted...

U2 'lining up three Croke Park gigs in summer' - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

(SPECULATION)U2 'lining up three Croke Park gigs in summer'

By stephen O'Farrell

Wednesday February 04 2009

SPECULATION was mounting last night that U2 will play three dates at Croke Park this summer as part of a Europe-wide stadium tour.

The band is thought to have provisionally booked the 82,000-capacity ground for July 24, 25 and 26.

And it emerged last night that the neighbouring Jurys Hotel has tripled their prices for the dates.

Rooms are now selling at €299 per night for a superior bedroom compared to €99 the previous weekend.

General manager Edward Stephenson stressed that supply and demand issues had led to the price rise with the hotel already 85pc booked up.

"We have very high occupancy here for those dates," Mr Stephenson said.

"We have very little availability left so that would be the normal situation in a hotel that we would sell off rooms for a cheaper price first.

"A number of people have got very competitive rates for these dates."

Mr Stephenson did not confirm that the weekend's popularity was due to the U2 gig but admitted that there had been a lot of speculation about a possible event on those dates.

"For matches and concerts and other events, we would offer very good value for people who book early," Mr Stephenson added.

The north-Dublin rockers are not due to officially announce their tour dates until the middle of next month and tickets are expected to sell out fast.

- stephen O'Farrell

No, the date for Croke Park is July 19

Croke Park Stadium. Fixture Details 2009

Why, it only says "Potential concert date". There are no other dates for July, and they will play more than one show, so I guess it's pretty safe to say the shows will be between July 19 and end of July.

They won't be the weekend of 25 because its two close to the GAA games.

They could play the RDS though.

New Tour Details!!!

Exclusive: U2 get on their boots for 3 Croker crackers

Band rock GAA ground in biggest world tour

The Mirror, February 04, 2009

By Paul Martin

The secret is out! Today we reveal the inside details of U2's biggest ever world tour.

The rockers are set to return with a bang by with a European stadium tour this summer.

And they will enjoy a huge homecoming celebration with three nights at Croke Park.

We have learned the band has provisionally booked the GAA ground for July 24, 25 and 26.

All tickets are expected to sell out in record time when details are announced next month.

With the album No Line on the Horizon released next month and their single "Get On Your Boots" No. 1 in Ireland, U2 kick off their most ambitious tour at the end of June with two shows at Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium.

Then they head to Paris for mammoth shows at the Stade France on July 10 and 11.

Bono can crash at his home in St. Tropez as he plays a week of live shows in sun-drenched Nice.

Berlin and Amsterdam have also been booked in with capacities of 70,000 for each gig.

Next up it's Wembley in London, Millennium Stadium Cardiff and City of Manchester arena in August.

Then Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. head to America where they will play a full stadium programme for the first time in 12 years.

In September they go to New York, Boston and Chicago before heading to Miami, California and San Francisco over the winter.

A source close to the band revealed last night: "They have avoided U.S. stadiums for the past two tours as they were worried they wouldn't sell out.

"They obviously think demand is there and want to reclaim their spot as the world's No. 1 band."

it sure would be nice to have a tour forum for all this exciting news

"They obviously think demand is there and want to reclaim their spot as the world's No. 1 band."

They have that spot-- they've had it since Popmart. The fact is the whole Rock Genre crashed at the same time. They are the biggest fish in a small pond. In terms of the most popular acts these days, they are all pop or hip-hop singers. And even then, it seems like the days of these ginormous music artists that both make something creatively fresh and are very popular seem to be over.

A whole week in Nice and only one German date? There are other European countries missing as well. I don't buy this. I'll wait until it's officially announced.

I think what we read on the previous page was a general synopsis. The article said nothing about Spain, Italy, Belgium or Scandinavia, which definitely won't be missed. Regarding the US, they will definitely play in more cities than New York, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles and San Francisco. One thing is certain... things aren't looking well for a show in my native Ohio!!

"before heading to Miami, California and San Francisco...."

lol :wink:

Hmm.. a bit redundant. It's interesting to hear that there will possibly be a stadium US tour, but I don't think I trust these guys at the Mirror with any of the details. I'll wait for u2.com or at least some other media source that's more trustworthy.

A few observations if the "Thursday-Saturday" stadium rumor is true for North America:

They may decide to finance the construction of only one stage (as opposed to the two that they've had for other stadium tours).

They will likely only tour large and medium sized markets (no more shows in places like Iowa, Madison, Las Vegas, Jacksonville or El Paso).

Some markets that usually only get 1-2 shows will get an extra 1 or 2 shows with the expectation that small-market fans will have to travel long distances to see a show.

Bono will have to violate his 2-night limit on consecutive shows.

The Dublin dates are at my birthday! My b-day is July 25th. I am saving to go and am so excited.

I don't see how they could pull off starting the tour here in the US in may when the album hasn't been released yet and when it does next month that's 2 months away from May. Not enough time to get tix and venues booked. I do feel that the starting the tour in europe this summer is most likely with a US leg in the fall.

I don't see how they could pull off starting the tour here in the US in may when the album hasn't been released yet and when it does next month that's 2 months away from May. Not enough time to get tix and venues booked. I do feel that the starting the tour in europe this summer is most likely with a US leg in the fall.

Yeah, from what I'm getting, the general thought is instead that they'll do European stadiums this summer, then take the fall/winter off for holidays to be with their families (and because it's too cold to do stadiums in the US in the fall/winter), then restart in the spring with US stadiums.

However, I don't buy that. Really? Not even start touring in the US at all until a year after the album's been released? There's no way. If they were to wait until 2010 to come to the US for outside gigs, then they're coming here in the fall/winter with indoor gigs. It's really just unrealistic to think that they'd delay a US leg until a whole year after the album's release. I understand that they do that with other countries & continents, but it just won't happen.

I'm willing to believe they'd tour here in the fall, but I don't see how it would be possible for them to play stadiums when football season will be starting and baseball season will still be going.

I'm willing to believe they'd tour here in the fall, but I don't see how it would be possible for them to play stadiums when football season will be starting and baseball season will still be going.

They've done it before. ZOO TV Outside Broadcast started in the middle of August. It will only be a difference of about 2-3 weeks.

They've done it before. ZOO TV Outside Broadcast started in the middle of August. It will only be a difference of about 2-3 weeks.

Not only that, but the third PorMart leg (granted only 17 shows) went from October to December, and the third Joshua Tree leg (50 shows, mixed arena and stadium) went from September to December. It has been done before... what we don't know is if it can be done only on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I would hazard to say that doing that would be damn near impossible, but, hey, Bono is God.

Back
Top Bottom