The Whole better than the parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Let me preface by saying that i like all the songs a lot. The more i listen to this album the more i like every song on it.

That said, after listening to this album non stop the last few days, i think Edge's comment about wanting people to listen to the whole album is dead on. To me the songs are better when you listen to the whole album together.

I have sat down with my good headphones, and listened to this album straight through about 5 times now. No distractions, just listening to the whole thing. When its over, its like I just watched a great movie. It all goes together, to make a complete work. I don't know how these song will do as singles (i don't really care) but as an album its excellent. It very much has a feel as they build on each other, making them better.

Bomb, and ATYCLB (both of which i like very much) seemed to be singles collections. Lots of very good songs (and a few so-so ones), but most of both of those albums could be stand alone singles and be as good or better on their own. This album that is not that case (i see this as a good thing).

The only place it falls short (just by a touch) to me is that some of the songs aren't quite as good as stand alone singles. That is why Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are still just a touch ahead (i think hard to know this early on) for me. Those albums the whole is better that the parts, but they have so many songs that are still wonderful on their own.

Anyone, this is meant to be a very positive thread, I love the album. Just something that keeps coming out when I listen to it straight throught as opposed to just listening to a song here or there. The whole experience exceeds just listening to the songs individually.

Yep, I agree. The songs are still good separate, but the album as a collective whole is awesome.

You really have a point. I listened to it once, wasn't quite sure what I liked but knew one or two songs would stick with me. Then I started listening to the entirety, skipping Boots now and then b/c I heard it enough. BUT, after too many listens yet not enough, each song starts to speak to me and maybe that's the chemistry.

One moment, I love one song, the next I love an entirely different song even more.

Tonight while at dinner I really wanted to put Stand Up on and really get into it.

What it comes down to is Breathe and Magnificent stand out more than anything on this album. However, close seconds are SUC and UC, then I realize I enjoy the opener and the closer, Fez grows and grows and now I really find myself singing along to Boots again and again with meaning. Now, MOS feels good -- as it should (but sorry it's not the ONE of this album as reported somewhere)

All of a sudden WAS and IGCIIDGCT come in and say WTF, we are pretty tight.

SO, although they all are actually good, the context of the album really enables the listener to enjoy each part but maybe not as much on an individual level. Listen to it in its entirety enough and you will really appreciate the whole and then the parts that make it up.

While I don't think it's as good in this regard as say TUF or TJT

This album is definitely greater than the some of its parts, the flow is near perfect for the majority of it

I listened last night through my dvd surround sound all the way through...and the sum is definitely better than its parts.

Right now, my problem is I feel that I always have to listen to Magnificent, Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller without pausing - it feels like one incredible suite.

I listened last night through my dvd surround sound all the way through...and the sum is definitely better than its parts.

Exactly like Revolver and Ok Computer. :up:

Except I would still say Magnificent/Moment of Surrender/Unknown Caller/Breathe are huge.

Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd didn't have too many big singles but their albums did very well.

This is a defiant "album" in the iTunes age of personal compilations. The band want you to listen to the album in total context. It's like someone said. It's a good movie. You wouldn't want to see only certain scenes but the story from beginning to the end.

I don't know who coined that phrase but the whole is never greater than the sum of its part. It all adds up to me.

:yes:

The only difference is that, to me, it does has some songs that are great on its own.

I must be in the minority because I think the songs are amazing but seem odd when put together. It feels like a true best of collection but not like an album. If Bomb and ATYCLB were albums of singles, NLOTH is an album of classic songs glued together. If you rate an album song by song, it is a masterpeice. If you judge the whole and the unity of the songs, it isn't.

I must be in the minority because I think the songs are amazing but seem odd when put together. It feels like a true best of collection but not like an album. If Bomb and ATYCLB were albums of singles, NLOTH is an album of classic songs glued together. If you rate an album song by song, it is a masterpeice. If you judge the whole and the unity of the songs, it isn't.

This album flows as evenly as JT or AB imho. actually get the same vibe as listening to AB...JT is in league of its OWN

This is a complete thought, the way an album should be, as opposed to a collection of singles like the last two albums.

The songs alone are good, but it is complete as a whole album, which is to me why it's a masterpiece.

Cedars Of Lebanon, best way to close the album....best song on the album (wish it had more signature edge in parts and a little moment of surrender type singing maybe at the end though) :reject:

Ham doesn't taste like cheese...cheese doesnt taste like mayo...mayo doesn't taste like rye bread...but...you put them together and its tasty!:yes: corny analogy I know but I reserve the right to be rediculous :applaud:

The songs sound really good on their own and even better as an album.

I think the hits on the album will be Magnificent and Ill Go Crazy If I Dont Go Crazy Tonight to me those will be the ones that connect with the casual U2 fan.

MOS will be hit or miss it seems it could be huge and it could flop.

This is a complete thought, the way an album should be, as opposed to a collection of singles like the last two albums.

The songs alone are good, but it is complete as a whole album, which is to me why it's a masterpiece.

My thoughts exactly. This album has an extraordinary cohesiveness, which is something I was really hoping for with this album. But not only is the whole fantastic -- every damn song is awesome. Now that is a feat. :up:

Is it just me, or does the album end with the darkest songs (Breathe, COL)?

I can't figure out what to make out of Breathe, it sounds schizophrenic... because I can't understand who's talking at which point in the song.

re:COL, I'm not certain about Bono's interpretation about the last verse... I can't find any context that points to the idea that someone's enemy is "existential."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom