The Walking Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem with the car argument is that there are next to no chances of any cars starting that haven't run in 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not wen you has Daryl Dixon! All the man has to do is hit the battery and it's like new.

I just wish corporate sponsorship would've been obnoxious, and that every car in TWD would've been a Hyundai Santa Fe with a 10 year, 100,000 mile limited power train warranty. That was always way too clean...

I'm not sure if there's an official timeline but I remember them saying that it had been a little over a full year since the incident when they first got to the jail and met those inmates. So I'm thinking they spent about a year at the prison and then about another year since leaving the prison.

I think it's supposed to be 3 at this point.

Carl is supposed to have started off as a 12 year old, and is now about 15. Which is different from the comics, where he starts as a 7 year old.

And of course it's a point well taken about car batteries being as dead as rocks after all this time. Random cars by the road aren't going to be any use, but what about the one they had from... the hospital, or wherever they got those couple of cars they were using... they were running and in use... so surely there's some gasoline somewhere in the more or less endless chain of suburbia between all those trees?

I think it's supposed to be 3 at this point.

Carl is supposed to have started off as a 12 year old, and is now about 15. Which is different from the comics, where he starts as a 7 year old.

Yeah that makes sense, and 12 year olds often do look like little kids (until the zombie apocalypse makes them grow up fast).

And of course it's a point well taken about car batteries being as dead as rocks after all this time. Random cars by the road aren't going to be any use, but what about the one they had from... the hospital, or wherever they got those couple of cars they were using... they were running and in use... so surely there's some gasoline somewhere in the more or less endless chain of suburbia between all those trees?

Very good points. And I still think they should've headed towards the ocean and tried to find a boat that was working to get to DC faster.

Doesn't the ocean line make sense anyways? I'm taking it zombies can't swim.

Take over a cruise ship. You'd have a lot of food on board. You could boat to cities for supplies. You could park and fish too.

I reckon they could go lots of places if budget and a pervasive plot demand for hopelessness didn't demand it. Head to the ocean. Head west. Or, you know, head for DC; it's only been three years, right?

To me the most unpalatable aspect of the show, post-farm, post-prison, post-Woodbury, is the complete absence of any credible attempt at rebuilding. That it wouldn't be attempted on a moderately large scale, if not by them or certain psycho killers, but by relatively normal people, is unbelievable. I'm not talking national government here, but a town/compound that isn't run by incompetents or lunatics. Ok, there's the hospital, but that rape factory doesn't exactly count.

To me the most unpalatable aspect of the show, post-farm, post-prison, post-Woodbury, is the complete absence of any credible attempt at rebuilding. That it wouldn't be attempted on a moderately large scale, if not by them or certain psycho killers, but by relatively normal people, is unbelievable. I'm not talking national government here, but a town/compound that isn't run by incompetents or lunatics. Ok, there's the hospital, but that rape factory doesn't exactly count.

No kidding! That was a big part of why the show lost so much momentum for me. I can understand the first couple of seasons being about adapting, and the third season once we saw Woodbury I thought to myself "ok, this makes sense". Even after the end of Woodbury I thought "well they had a decent idea but bad execution, there must be more of these towns out there trying to survive though" - nope!

I think this show would have had a lot of potential if they had gone this route, but of course it's much cheaper to film half a dozen people in the woods than it is to hire enough extras to fill a town/apartment complex. Show us how the world is adapting now that you've established a small group! Show us some hint of how life will go on, or show us some idea how truly doomed everyone really is if that's the way you want to take it.

I'm so sick of trying to be forced to care about the same half dozen characters I don't give the first shit about, only to have someone die and for them (writers and characters alike) treat it as if this is the first time it's ever happened. Or for them to see a walker that they've met previously, or someone they knew as a human and be completely unable to kill it even though they know full well that it's no longer human and any second they hesitate only exponentially increases their chance of being eaten. They know this person is dead and they know they have to kill it (and have already "killed" dozens of walkers) - why are you drawing it out and making it super emotional like they're stabbing their own living breathing talking mother in the face??!?

The Walking Dead is the TV show equivalent to AC/DC at this point. The same thing over and over with minor variations, and somehow it mysteriously stays insanely popular. :shrug:

Look, I agree that they are repeating the same themes and plot devices over and over at this point but I mean really, what is everybody expecting? This is a show about the Zombie apocalypse, people!

How exciting would the show be if they found a fully functional society that was safe and protected? Or started their own? Do we want more episodes of Rick farming? Or them having debates on governing effectively or Michonne and Daryl arguing over how best to maintain their drinking water?

I get that this show is extremely nihilistic and depressing but safety and comfort and stability does not make for very interesting viewing. I'm not saying all of this is either but I'll take it over the alternative.

Look, I agree that they are repeating the same themes and plot devices over and over at this point but I mean really, what is everybody expecting? This is a show about the Zombie apocalypse, people!

How exciting would the show be if they found a fully functional society that was safe and protected? Or started their own? Do we want more episodes of Rick farming? Or them having debates on governing effectively or Michonne and Daryl arguing over how best to maintain their drinking water?

I get that this show is extremely nihilistic and depressing but safety and comfort and stability does not make for very interesting viewing. I'm not saying all of this is either but I'll take it over the alternative.

I dunno, maybe the fact that I'm playing through Fallout New Vegas again has something to do with it, but that game has a lot of variation on the "post-apocalyptic wasteland" theme that is varied and interesting. Not saying that TWD should be as cartoonish or absurd as some parts of Fallout can be, but there can be small settlements.

What if they had something like the prison, except with more people and stronger walls (no chain link fence - ETA what kind of prison only has a double chain link fence around the entire outside of it anyways and no walls at all??) that allowed for enough people to do some farming in the inner yard, and meant that it could be somewhat self sustaining? It doesn't have to be a full on democratic farming society where they never leave and never see a walker again, but you'd think there would be some town that put up some walls, or an armed trading post or guarded refugee camp somewhere they could use as a base for some kind of permanence. At least somewhere they could meet some new people and have the baby taken care of.

Of course if they did find this the writers would inevitably think up a way for the whole thing to turn to shit and they'd be right back out on the road again, right back to where it all started :/

If the comics are any indication about what's coming next (and they usually do a good job of providing a rough outline); they're about to hit the Alexandria safe zone. The story arcs from the comics that take place there are my favorites, so I'm really looking forward to what's coming next. Maggie and Sasha meeting Aaron is a great sign that things are moving in a good direction.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm pretty sure once they get out of Georgia everything will be fine. This whole thing will have been one big hillbilly dream. Except for the fact that Abraham and Eugene came from. . .was it Houston? Yeah we are pretty much all fucked then. I just want to know what causes this. . .that way.. .. ..i can move to my very own private Island when it all begins. Not that i won't enjoy it from afar.. .. ..cause i will. Just. Yeah.

If the comics are any indication about what's coming next (and they usually do a good job of providing a rough outline); they're about to hit the Alexandria safe zone. The story arcs from the comics that take place there are my favorites, so I'm really looking forward to what's coming next. Maggie and Sasha meeting Aaron is a great sign that things are moving in a good direction.

Nice, that's good to know. Well, hopefully this safe zone isn't just a rehash of the "hey we found good people. wait, they're bad people" storyline.

This matter of an 'Alexandria safe zone' (I know nothing about the comic books) sounds promising.

And actually, to touch on something posted earlier, I do want to see more of Rick farming (or, insert 'Rick doing anything constructive'). Season 2 gets a bad rap, but I actually find the fragility of that sort of surviving normality and civilisation (ie. the farm) makes the stakes that much higher, the danger that much more unsettling.

From a dramatic perspective, zombies infiltrating Woodbury or the farm is vastly more terrifying than zombies wandering through the woods (and why are there so many of them in the woods, I'll tell you why: budget constraints deer and rabbits and other woodland critters).

I believe the credits sunday night still said "filmed on location in Georgia" which leads to me believe they are still filming in GA. Though the story has moved on to Va. I wonder if they will actually film in Va? From what i remember of my time in both places, the scenery is noticeably different.

Nice, that's good to know. Well, hopefully this safe zone isn't just a rehash of the "hey we found good people. wait, they're bad people" storyline.

Believe me, shit gets real. There's a two-part story arc called "All Out War," that is very good. Plus they introduce a villain who, in my opinion, is way more entertaining than the Governor.

The misleading 'next week on...' clips make it look like Alexandria is completely deserted. And probably it is. The budget no longer extends to extras. They blew it on 5 miles of reinforced steel wall 12 feet high.

Red herrings all the way. My money has it this show is about to do something you're all gonna hate.

Rick and Co. join the good guys in Alexandria, and things are gonna look real good there. And war will break out with some other faction and you'll all be up in arms. Chalk it down. Shot in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom