The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrPryck2U said:
Well, I'm starting to think that WWE's World Heavyweight Championship is jinxed.

This was posted on the wrestleview.com forum regarding the 'curse'.

Its a very funny read:

Every Sports Curse usually blames one person or group: (Luckily, in this case it's not Harry Frazee. Or the Black Sox for that matter. If this curse lasts as long as those though, Smackdown is in for trouble, let me tell ya).

We all know there's a higher risk of injury with World Champions as they are the ones who wrestle the marathon matches and take the most bumps. I will now enlighten you all with theories that have some base in fact and did take some research. Enjoy.

Who's to blame?

John Cena - got drafted to RAW in 2005, taking the WWE Title with him and leaving Smackdown w/o a World Champion. In Baseball terms, this is the WWE version of the Babe Ruth trade from the Red Sox to the Yankees. We all know the Curse of the Bambino. Not only has John Cena not been seriously injured yet, everyone he has wrestled at Wrestlemania is out with injury or retired (Big Show, JBL, HHH, HBK).

Batista - After drafting over to Smackdown in 2005 with the World Title, he got injured at first but decided to wrestle through his injury because of the lack of stars. He was supposed to drop the title to Eddie Guerrero in a 3-way match also involving Randy Orton and get surgery immediately, but Eddie passed away the morning before the match. Batista stayed on for two more months, even being captain for Smackdown's team vs RAW at Survivor Series and winning the Tag Titles w/ Rey Mysterio, but had to relinquish the title due to being injured again thanks to Mark Henry. Batista's statement that he'll get the title back may have been the start of the curse, because he'll get it back again no matter what.

Mark Henry - First he injured Batista, then he wrestled Angle, then Mysterio, and was the last man to touch Undertaker before Edge. He also gets injured a lot himself. Mark Henry is either unlucky, too dangerous, or he's both.

Theodore R. Long - Since he stopped being a referee, Long was manager to D'Lo Brown, Jazz, Rodney Mack, Chris Nowinski, Rosey, and Mark Jindrak. Basically a who's who list of released talent. He became GM in 2004 after Kurt Angle got fired as GM by Vince. Ever since Long became GM of Smackdown, every World Champion he had either got injured or left Smackdown. Holla Holla Holla!

Vince McMahon- Vince has won both WWE and ECW World Titles, but he has never won the World Heavyweight Championship. The title must be won by Vince so the curse stops.

Smackdown - Maybe the show of Smackdown is to blame. After all, it got moved from UPN to the CW network, from Thursday nights to Friday nights, and has had more GM changes than RAW. It's natural then that the championship would change hands more, however it has happened most under the worst of circumstances. Also, Smackdown has not hosted the main event of Wrestlemania since WM19, or the main event of Summerslam since 2002. If the belt has a mind of its own or is possessed, then it is angry with WWE for not giving it the proper treatment. Which brings me to . . .

Ric Flair - It began in the 80's. Ric Flair breathed life into the title by being the first person to hold it and solidified his power, and his will to dominate by becoming World Champion 16 times. He also took the belt to WWF in the early 90's, because the treacherous Jim Herd was not powerful enough to part him from it. The reason is that there is only one Lord of the Ring, and this time its not Sauron. "Always remember Frodo, the belt is trying to get back to its old master, It Wants To Be Found." Why do you think Triple H was champion with Flair in his corner in Evolution? Flair would have consumed Triple H's soul, but Flair, seeing the fellow evil in HHHim, spared his life. Triple H was a puppet under Flair's control. Flair is thus all-powerful and he rigged the draft this year to get himself on Smackdown. Somehow, someway, the belt will find its way back to Flair.

Eric Bischoff - After WWE Champion Brock Lesnar became exclusive to Smackdown in 2002, Bischoff used voodoo magic to place a curse on his old WCW belt when he handed it to Triple H on RAW September 2002. The curse was if the belt ever left RAW then henceforth the belt would become kryptonite to its champion. This would be the ultimate price to be paid for holding the new edition of the WCW Title. This is why time after time our superhero champions fall prey to the lethal effects.

David Arquette -
http://www.winbeam.com/~normanb/arquette/image012.jpg

The movie "Ready to Rumble" was released April 7, 2000. On the 7th day of the month, and 7 years ago. From Angle to Khali, 7 World Title changes since it debuted with Batista on Smackdown.

Arquette won the title on April 26, 2000. 3 weeks after the movie debuted. 3 Smackdown champions have been seriously injured while holding the title (Batista, Undertaker, Edge). The year 2000 also leads to 2+0+0+0 = 2. 2 Champions thus far had to relinquish the title.

Former World Champion King Booker was a wrestler in the movie 'Ready to Rumble'. He also got injured this April, the same month Ready to Rumble debuted and Arquette became Champion, 7 years after. 7 World Title changes total. Notice a pattern yet?

Rey Mysterio Jr. was also in the movie. Rey won the World Title at Wrestlemania 22 on April 2nd. WM22 on April 2. Rey's win was the 2nd title change. Rey's first title defense was against Randy Orton on April 7, 2006, 6 years after Ready to Rumble. From Rey's win to Khali, 6 World Title changes.

Arquette's finishing move in Ready to Rumble was the spear, a move that hits the chest. Undertaker lost the title to Edge with a spear. Edge relinquishes the title because he needs surgery on his pectoral muscle, a muscle of the upper chest.

But should we really blame Arquette for this seemingly innocent coincidence? No, you know who we should all blame:

The Evil WCW Promoter from 'Ready To Rumble', Titus Sinclair!!!
http://readytorumble.warnerbros.com/img/1-pantoliano.jpg

I blame Oliver Platt for all of these injuries. I mean, did anyone buy him being a wrestler for a second in that dreadful movie? At least when Arquette won the title, his salary went to charity. Arquette is a big wrestling fan and even he thought it was a bad idea for him to win the belt. This was one of many reasons why WCW went out of business.

This is getting ridiculous:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/08/13/wrestler.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Pro wrestler Brian Adams dead

TAMPA, FLA. (AP) -- Former pro wrestling champion Brian "Crush" Adams died Monday after he was found unconscious in his home. He was 44. He showed no visible signs of injury and foul play was not suspected, police spokeswoman Janelle McGregor said.

Authorities were awaiting autopsy results from the medical examiner before proceeding with their investigation.

Adams' wife, who was not identified, found her husband not breathing and called 911 about 11 a.m. Fire Rescue workers later pronounced him dead, McGregor said. Adams, a former world tag team champion, last performed for the World Wrestling Federation in 2001 and served intermittently on the roster beginning in 1990, World Wrestling Entertainment said.

WWE spokesman George Cabico had no further comment.

Adams death comes less than two months after pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and son before hanging himself on the cable of a weight machine in his Georgia home. Prescription anabolic steroids were found in the family's home, raising questions about whether the drugs played a role in the killings.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

R.I.P. :sigh:

Well, the good news this week in pro wrestling is that nobody has died. Although, shortly after it was discovered that Crush had passed away, the wrestler The Missing Link did pass away after a long battle with cancer. Link briefly appeared in the WWF back in the 1980's and was managed by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Coming up this weekend is one of WWE's major PPV's, SummerSlam. There's really only a handful matches that anyone gives a shit about. The Main Event being Randy Orton battling John Cena for the WWE Championship. Not sure who'll win this one. Wouldn't be surprised if Orton won it, though. Which brings us to another big match: King Booker takes on the returning HHH. Gee, who's going to win here? If Orton wins the title, look for H to come knocking on his door. Then, of course, we have those other championship matches. Batista takes on World champ , The Great Khali. God, I hope Batista wins. Then there's the ECW title match with CM Punk taking on ECW champ, John Morrison. I hope Punk gets the win. Punk is a star in the making. If WWE fucks this up, they are to blame. As for the rest of the card, who cares. WWE has made me give less of a shit about anyone else, so why do I care? Anyway, if anyone watches SS, enjoy!

Hulk Hogan's son Nick was in a car accident over the weekend and has been labelled in serious condition. Looks like Nick was driving a little too fast and lost control of his car. I hope Nick turns out OK.

According to Hulk Hogan's friend, Bubba the Love Sponge, Nick is out of the hospital and Ok. Unfortunately, Nick's friend/passenger is still in serious condition. Nick's Toyota Supra was destroyed in the crash. Nick is very lucky to be alive. CNN actually had video of Hulk Hogan at the accident scene talking with rescue personnel while Nick and his passenger were being removed from the car.

The wrestlers haven't been identified yet but I'm sure those that follow it closely will be able to notice who's missing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/08/30/WWEban.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

WWE suspends 10

Performers allegedly violated drug test policy

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended 10 performers for violations of a policy that requires drug tests, the company said Thursday.

Stamford-based WWE says it issued suspension notices based on independent information received from investigators from the Albany County New York District Attorney's Office.

WWE spokeswoman Jennifer McIntosh would not identify the performers or specify how they violated the policy. She referred other questions to the district attorney's office, where a message seeking comment was left.

Under the wellness policy, which requires tests for steroids and other drugs, a wrestler faces a 30-day suspension for a first violation, a 60-day suspension for a second violation and firing for a third violation.

In June, pro wrestler Chris Benoit killed his wife and young son and hanged himself. Investigators say Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system at the time.

Earlier this month, WWE officials met with New York prosecutors investigating illegal steroid sales.

At the time, McIntosh confirmed the meeting but declined to comment on what was discussed.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Geez, I go away for a weekend and all of this happened in WWE.

Plus, this Vince paternity thing is absolutely dumb as shit.

Well, WWE had yet another PPV this past Sunday with Unforgiven. Sadly, this was just another PPV that made you glad that you didn't waste 40 bucks on this show. Some noteworthy things did happen though:
-Batista is the new World Heavyweight Champion after defeating Khali in a triple threat match that also featured Rey Mysterio.
-The Undertaker marked his return by defeating Mark Henry. After the match, Taker indicated that he wants the World title back around his waist.

I'll tell you, WWE has never heard of the saying "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
One of the many reasons that WCW died was because they were giving away PPV type matches away for free on tv in an effort to get good ratings, while neglecting to have quality matches on the actual PPV's. WWE is doing the same thing. Thus prompting the viewer to say "fuck getting a WWE PPV, when there's better shit for free on Raw or even Smackdown!'

Ugh.

This past Monday on Raw, WWE suffered a serious blow to their roster. In a match with Ken Kennedy, WWE Champion John Cena suffered a torn pectoral muscle. Cena won the match, but he will be out of action for 6-8 months. As a result, WWE has to strip Cena of the WWE title. He was scheduled to take on Randy Orton at this Sunday's PPV, No Mercy for the WWE championship. Needless to say, the match is cancelled and WWE will have to come up with a new championship match for a new champion to be crowned.

Like Cena or not, he was WWE's top guy for the last 2 1/2 years. He held the WWE championship for a little over a year straight. Even Triple H didn't do that. This a major loss for WWE. But, this also leaves a top spot open for someone else to step up. Triple H and Randy Orton are a couple of guys who could do it. But, we'll see what WWE does.

Meanwhile, there are heavy rumors running wild that former WWE superstar Y2J, Chris Jericho will be making his return to WWE at No Mercy. Maybe he'll get thrown into the championship contender mix. Jericho is one of my favorite wrestlers so I hope he comes back.
Either way, Cena is out and we will have a new WWE Champion this Sunday at No Mercy.

Y2J

:drool:

Y2J over Orton vs. belt, HBK/Jericho feud. . . except HBK will never be over as a heel again and Y2J really doesn't need that right now. Their wrestlemania match was classic, though.

Sorry for being such an HBK mark.

Oh, he can be a great one - but will people buy it. The last time they tried that was the Hogan feud, and he was still cheered as a face, especially by the legions of Hoganhaters.

Question: Randy Orton was one of the wrestlers suspended earlier this year for alleged steroid use, right? I believe that he was.

Anyway, I just tuned in to the latter part of Raw for the first time in a while and was struck by how slim Orton looked. He didn't look the same as I remembered him.

Well, here's kind of an answer for you:

Randy has been suspended on numerous occasions, but steroids weren't the reason. One reason he was suspended in the past was because he got busted for smoking a joint in the backstage area. Another reason he was suspended in the past, was because he sexually harassed one of the WWE Divas. And finally, Randy was suspended more recently for trashing a hotel room while WWE was touring Europe several months ago.

Now, Randy has never been jacked like Batista, Bobby Lashley or Chris Masters, but I'm sure at one point, his physique was a little bigger. Now that WWE has been more strongly enforcing their Wellness Program, I couldn't see Randy getting suspended for steroids, but anything can happen in WWE. Lol! Let's just say that Randy has been given countless chances to keep his shit together.

The next WWE PPV is Armageddon and Randy takes on Y2J for the WWE title. I'm really hoping WWE does something cool and puts the title on Y2J. But, as we've seen in the past, WWE doesn't always like to do cool things.

I hope I was able to provide you with some useful information.

I know that Mr.Kennedy was one of those who was suspended and well he looks a lot thinner than before.

Well, I wouldn't say Kennedy looks a lot thinner, but his traps aren't bulging out as much as they were before.

One thing that was funny about Kennedy is that he was one of the wrestlers who was going off on people who do steroids and then, BAM, he got busted for doing them himself. What a fool.

Oh yeah, thanks to Kennedy being suspended for steroids, WWE Creative was forced to make Hornswaggle McMahon's bastard son instead of Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom