The Police Tour '07 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

Because I stated the obvious fact that artist in the music industry price their tickets based on market demand?:eyebrow:

wow. you're in it so deep you can't even smell it anymore. My condolences to your significant other.

MrBrau1 said:

wow. you're in it so deep you can't even smell it anymore. My condolences to your significant other.

Yeah, wow. Whatever your interested in, why don't you start another thread. You do realize this is a Police thread in the Just the Bang And Clatter Forum?

^All right, all right...let's move on to happy thoughts :D

I had a Police evening, boy I tell you what!

After going out to dinner we headed to Half Priced Books to find some flash cards for little Bryce. When I got there I went to go check out the vinyls. First I went to the new arrivals and I found Synchronicity and I found Beatles Abby Road, so cool! Then I went over to the U2 section and found an album I was missing and that was Wide Awake In America. The rest they had I already owned. Then I went over to the Police section and was able to buy the 4 remaining albums I needed to complete all 5 major vinyl albums!

Whooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!

A Police goldmine!!!!!

:dance:

I didn't know they had HPB out there in the remote area of Borneo where you live.... :wink:
So does anyone know how the Phoenix and Denver presales went? I refuse to join the Police message board to find out since I really don't think they need my credit card number for a free account.

Seattle and Denver are sold out, by the way. This reminds me of 2 years ago when U2's tickets went on sale. I'm sure they'll add second nights in both cities.

angry peach said:
I didn't know they had HPB out there in the remote area of Borneo where you live.... :wink:
So does anyone know how the Phoenix and Denver presales went? I refuse to join the Police message board to find out since I really don't think they need my credit card number for a free account.

:lmao: You're too funny! ..................NOT!

I was at the big store on NW highway.

And if you read the rules to the website, they only want your credit card to keep out underage kids that don't belong. They want to make sure that only adults sign up onto the site. That's all.

The_acrobat said:
Seattle and Denver are sold out, by the way. This reminds me of 2 years ago when U2's tickets went on sale. I'm sure they'll add second nights in both cities.

Seattle soldout in 20 minutes. The second Seattle show goes on sale on Sunday March 4. There should be a pre-sale sometime this week. It appears Denver soldout very quickly, but I have yet to hear about a second show there.

Oakland is on sale tomorrow and a whole bunch of shows go on sale on Monday which is kind of unusual considering Saturday would be better when people don't have to work.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Ok, I didn't catch the date, but I heard on the radio this afternoon tickets for Detroit go on sale next Saturday. :hyper:

Anyone from or around Detroit, forget I just said that. :sexywink:

Well, according to the official website, Detroit is not even listed.

See here...

https://tickets.thepolicetour.com/

Dallas has been on the list since day one, and we haven't even had our presale yet. They may be talking about an official accouncement about when and where the show rolls through town.

Allegra said:

See here...

Dallas has been on the list since day one, and we haven't even had our presale yet. They may be talking about an official accouncement about when and where the show rolls through town.

Well, if tickets go on sale next weekend, it should be popping up any day now. That's what I heard on the radio. Different markets have different ways about going about these things. :shrug:

STING2 said:
Seattle soldout in 20 minutes. The second Seattle show goes on sale on Sunday March 4. There should be a pre-sale sometime this week. It appears Denver soldout very quickly, but I have yet to hear about a second show there.

If Seattle#2 and Vancouver#2 sell clean, will it make way for the Edmonton Stadium show on June 2nd?

Allegra said:

See here...

The first night in Detroit is already on pollstar:

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/search...All&PSKey=Y&StartSearch.x=16&StartSearch.y=11

Its also now on the website here:

http://thepolicetour.com/news/news.php?uid=4866

U2FanPeter said:

If Seattle#2 and Vancouver#2 sell clean, will it make way for the Edmonton Stadium show on June 2nd?

I'm not sure. U2 did the same thing but skipped that part of Canada. But there is space in the schedual, so perhaps it will happen.

STING2 said:
I'm not sure. U2 did the same thing but skipped that part of Canada. But there is space in the schedual, so perhaps it will happen.

Edmonton was listed a city that will be visited sometime, att eh Ploce press conference.

Considering how well the Stones did in Calgary and Regina last year or so(180,00 tickets sold??), I would say it's a safe bet The Police will make at least one prairie Canada show.

The vintage Police and Sting have passed thru the flat part of Canada a couple times.

u2fp

BTW, what's up with the spelling of "schedual"?

U2FanPeter said:

Edmonton was listed a city that will be visited sometime, att eh Ploce press conference.

Considering how well the Stones did in Calgary and Regina last year or so(180,00 tickets sold??), I would say it's a safe bet The Police will make at least one prairie Canada show.

The vintage Police and Sting have passed thru the flat part of Canada a couple times.

u2fp

BTW, what's up with the spelling of "schedual"?

The Stones played to 15,000 people in Calgary in 2005 and 80,000 people in Regina in 2006 for two shows.

The Police Quickly Sell Out Stadium Shows

February 26, 2007, 2:05 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
The parade of Police sellouts continues, with shows in Denver, Seattle and Oakland selling out over the weekend, and Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., selling out today (Feb. 26). On Saturday, Pepsi Center in Denver sold out, with a second show added (June 9-10), and Key Arena in Seattle sold out, also with a second show added (June 6-7).

McAfee Stadium in Oakland sold out Sunday at 48,000 tickets. Giants Stadium sold out today at 56,000 tickets, as did Dodger Stadium at 52,000.

A second Montreal show went on sale this morning and is expected to sell out quickly (July 25-26), Also clean is a June 18 show at U.S. Airways Arena in Phoenix and a May 30 show in Vancouver.

The group's first tour in more than two decades begins May 28 in Vancouver. Also newly confirmed is the anchor date for the second leg of the outing, Nov. 8 in Toronto, joining a previously announced July 22-23 stand in the city.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003550441

so thats roughly 70,000 boston tickets and 90,000 new york area tickets...about even with the vertigo tour, and with a nearly identical avg. ticket price....but could they sell even more than that in these areas?

Ifeelnumb84 said:
so thats roughly 70,000 boston tickets and 90,000 new york area tickets...about even with the vertigo tour, and with a nearly identical avg. ticket price....but could they sell even more than that in these areas?

The average ticket price although stated to be just under $100 dollars may actually be a little higher. For the Arena shows, the prices are the same as U2's except for the golden circle tickets which are $225 for The Police vs. $160 for U2. So, I think The Police will be grossing more per show than U2's arena shows.

These sellouts were rather quick and its obvious the band could sell more tickets in all these markets and they probably will either this summer or when they come back in the Fall. Boston will probably get Arena shows in November/December. New York may get another Giants Stadium show, once other east coast dates go on sale. McAfee Stadium in Oakland and Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles may get another show each.

More shows for other cities may be announced tonight or tomorrow.

Right now it's only looking like Detroit is going on sale this week...

Internet Presale Info

Best Buy Presale:
Start:Wed, 02/28/07 10:00 AM EST
End:Fri, 03/02/07 12:00 PM EST

Fan Club Presale:
Start:Thu, 03/01/07 10:00 AM EST

Fan Club Bundle:
Start:Thu, 03/01/07 04:00 PM EST

1983-1984 Synchronicity Tour:
1 night at Sullivan Stadium in MA (40,000)
1 night at Providence Civic Center (12,000)
2 nights at Hartford Civic Center (24,000)
1 night at Shea Stadium (45,000)
=approx. 120,000 in NYC/Boston area

2007 Reunion Tour (so far):
2 nights at Fenway Park (70,000)
1 night at Giants Stadium (56,000)
2 nights at MSG (35,000)
= approx. 160,000 BEFORE 2nd leg is announced! (which will include at least one Hartford date, possibly more in NY and MA)

Leaving the touring scene at one's peak will cause such things.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
1983-1984 Synchronicity Tour:
1 night at Sullivan Stadium in MA (40,000)
1 night at Providence Civic Center (12,000)
2 nights at Hartford Civic Center (24,000)
1 night at Shea Stadium (45,000)
=approx. 120,000 in NYC/Boston area

2007 Reunion Tour (so far):
2 nights at Fenway Park (70,000)
1 night at Giants Stadium (56,000)
2 nights at MSG (35,000)
= approx. 160,000 BEFORE 2nd leg is announced! (which will include at least one Hartford date, possibly more in NY and MA)

Leaving the touring scene at one's peak will cause such things.

Actually the numbers for the Synchronicity Tour shows you sited are as follows as reported by Amusement Business and printed in Billboard Magazine:

10-08-1983 Foxboro, MA Sullivan Stadium USA
GROSS $1,003,000 : ATTENDANCE 61,000(sellout)

12-08-1983 Hartford, CT Civic Center USA
13-08-1983 Hartford, CT Civic Center USA
GROSS $463,715 : ATTENDANCE 32,151(sellout)

18-08-1983 New York City, NY Shea Stadium USA
GROSS $1,130,000 : ATTENDANCE 67,000(sellout)

One thing to remember is that The Police visited these cities just, 6 to 8 weeks, after the Synchronicity album had been released. In fact, these shows probably all soldout in June of 1983 just a week or a few days after the Synchronicity album was released. Shea Stadium soldout in a few hours in June of 1983, reported to be the fastest sellout of Shea Stadium at that time. The point being that The Police were just at the start of the growth in popularity they would experience with Synchronicity album. These shows that soldout in the month the Synchronicity album was released soldout out because of the Popularity the Police had built up prior to Synchronicity. A better reflection would have been shows occuring 6 or more months after the release of Synchronicity and the huge increase in popularity the band achieved with the album.

But the Synchronicity tour was a little under 8 months with 105 shows, and the tour ended on March 4, 1984. Back in those days, such a tour of that length for one album was considered to be the norm or even a little on the long side.

The tour consisted basically single nights in cities with several back to back nights, and only one city that featured more than 2 nights, London. The tour visited the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. No doubt, the Police could have done more shows in many of the places they went to on the tour, but because there were only plans to be out on the road for 8 months and the need to hit x number of cities, multiple dates in the same city were kept small.

Ifeelnumb84 said:

U2 sold twice that in the New York area for Vertigo - total tix sold for the 10 area shows (8 at MSG, 2 at Continental) were 189,351. Boston's total was 120,729. So if The Police are in equal demand (a big if), then yes, they could conceivably sell a lot more.

Pop Artist said:

U2 sold twice that in the New York area for Vertigo - total tix sold for the 10 area shows (8 at MSG, 2 at Continental) were 189,351. Boston's total was 120,729. So if The Police are in equal demand (a big if), then yes, they could conceivably sell a lot more.

Another show at Giants Stadium, plus 2 more shows at Madison Square Garden in November/December would put The Police over the 190,000 mark in the New York City area.

They would need to play 3 shows at the TD Banknorth Arena in Boston, in November/December to put them over the 122,000 mark for Boston.

The two upcoming Vancouver shows about equals all of the groups shows in town. Here's ticket stubs for their 3 biggest Vancouver shows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10052914@N00/404582757/?rotated=1&cb=1172583202170

1981 - $9 with XTC
1982 - $14.50
1983 - $19 with Thompson Twins

As for comparing the Police/U2 in the NYC area, I'm curious what the Rolling Stones did on Bigger Bang. While Billy Joel and Springsteen have "homefield advantage" I'm sure their recent appearances in the NYC area(BS&ESB stadium shows in 2003) top the import acts.

u2fp

Presales this week!!!

:hyper:

DALLAS

ST. PAUL

CLEVELAND

DETROIT

HERSHEY

HARTFORD

EDMONTON

Of course they would spring up Dallas' presale at the last second! I planned on doing the BB presale, but when it conflicted with my son's doctor's appointment tomorrow I was like "OH HELL NO!!!"

So I called and rescheduled his appointment and moved it to Friday. I feel so weird. I had to put Police tickets before my son! It's OK though. He's not sick. He just needs to get his 3rd Polio shot.

:tsk: What us crazy fans do for Police tickets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom