The Official 2006 NBA Playoffs Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2@NYC said:

Not really. If you look at last year's playoffs thread, I was also supporting the Spurs. And what bandwagon? Spurs at that point were leading 1-0 in the conference semifinals, with a very uncertain outcome. So grow up, and we'll talk.

Great job by the Mavs last night, by the way. And, please, no further complaints about the officiating after yesterday's game.

Most of the calls went SA's way in game 1, and they went the Mavs way in game 2. But how about this, game 1 was won by 2 points, game 2 was a 22 point raping. Hmm, what do you have to say, Acne-Scars Popovich?

"That [the officiating] had nothing to do with it," Popovich said. "Everything tonight had to do with the way the Mavs played."

"Everyone together, say it: The Mavs played great and deserve credit," Popovich said. "There are no excuses and no way around it, and if I didn't think they played well I'd say it. But they kicked ass."

Bandwagon is supporting a multiple championship winning team, regardless of if it was since last year, who you have absolutely no affiliation with. I'm not going to start liking the Patriots even though I live in Texas. Expecting someone to win and "cheering" for them are two different things. Grow up and we'll talk? Yeah, I'm being extremely immature. If being immature is being sick of every analyst, and now apparently you, choking on the Spurs' collective nutsack, then looks like I am.

Last edited:
Game 1

Mavs: 24 fouls
Spurs: 20 fouls

Game 2

Mavs: 27 fouls.
Spurs: 26 fouls.

Looks like they called it pretty even in Game 2 after all, eh NYC?

inmyplace13 said:

Bandwagon is supporting a multiple championship winning team, regardless of if it was since last year, who you have absolutely no affiliation with.

As so happens, Manu Ginobili plays for the Spurs. He is from Argentina. I am from Argentina (home of the Olympic champions).

nocioni_manu_041206.jpg

Same exact reason why I support Chicago and, on a lesser degree, Detroit.

So shut up.

And, yes, grow up before jumping to conclusions.

Hewson said:
What does them being defending champions have to do with the schedule?
Should the NBA have foregone a Sunday afternoon game, given ABC back a few million dollars and let the Spurs rest till Wednesday, or whenever they felt fresh just cause they won last year's title?

The Cavs had to play the Pissed Ons Sunday under the same schedule, and they had just played back to back OT games against the BulletWizards, but thats kosher cause they aren't defending champs, but the Spursies need their rest?

One of the weakest excuses I've seen on this forum.

Really? So tipping off at 11:30 a.m. your time makes a lot of sense... I am sure that ABC did great with the Cavs blowout on primetime.

inmyplace13 said:
Game 1

Mavs: 24 fouls
Spurs: 20 fouls

Game 2

Mavs: 27 fouls.
Spurs: 26 fouls.

Looks like they called it pretty even in Game 2 after all, eh NYC?

final foul totals is not a good statistic to judge officiating... very often when one team has a clear advantage in the foul column refs will find a way to "even it out," giving the appearance that it was an evenly called game right down the line to the laeman.

it's not really indicitive of how the refs actually called the game. it could be... but more often than not it isn't

Headache, I agree with you on the final fouls thing because the first half was certainly pretty biased. I just wanted to show the Mavs got whistled quite a bit too.

KhanadaRhodes said:

he may have been wrong to jump to conclusions, but do not go around telling people to shut up. two wrongs do not make a right.

If you judge by the tone of his e-mail, he wasn't particularly condescending...

Ok, inmyplace, keep talking.

U2@NYC said:

Really? So tipping off at 11:30 a.m. your time makes a lot of sense...
What time did the Mavs have to tip off for that game?
Oh yeah, same time, and they are also a Texas team and gained no time zone advantage.
The playoff schedule is dictated by TV, everyone knows this. The Mavs had to get to the arena (as the road team no less) in the morning just like the Spursies. The Mavs are just the better team this year and Spurs supporters can't fathom that so have to look for excuses as a preparation for embarassment should they lose.

Some people have way too much money to spend...

Cuban racks up another $200,000 in fines over refs

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
May 10, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $200,000 for his two recent episodes of referee-bashing.

Half of the punishment was for going on the court Sunday to complain during the Mavericks' 87-85 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 1 of their second-round series. The rest was for some critical comments made in a blog entry he posted Sunday under the title, "How to improve NBA Playoff Officiating."

Hewson said:
What time did the Mavs have to tip off for that game?
Oh yeah, same time, and they are also a Texas team and gained no time zone advantage.
The playoff schedule is dictated by TV, everyone knows this. The Mavs had to get to the arena (as the road team no less) in the morning just like the Spursies. The Mavs are just the better team this year and Spurs supporters can't fathom that so have to look for excuses as a preparation for embarassment should they lose.

you're just bitter that the celtics didn't get tim duncan back in the pitino era :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

you're just bitter that the celtics didn't get tim duncan back in the pitino era :wink:
Rick Pitino was certainly bitter about that. Blamed that for his failure. I mean instead of Duncan he got who...Chauncey Billups (and Ron Mercer ugh), and we know what a bust Chauncey has been as an NBA player.

I like Duncan( and was a big fan of David Robinson), just think the Spurs are not as complete this year as last and recent years, and that the Mavs will win the series.
And would love to see the Clippers make the finals.

Don't see what's wrong with the New Jersey Nets playing in Brooklyn, as long as the New York Giants and the New York Jets play in New Jersey.

That skyscraper looks....um...funky, yeah that's a good word for it.

It's in the same design class as homer's dream car

Pol4000.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, the shape of the skyscraper bears some resemblance to one of the computer science buildings at MIT:

big-stata9.jpg

The first time I saw that thing, I couldn't figure out if it was a MIT building or a Super Mario Bros. 3 building.

I hear that Suns/Clips game was a thriller last night. Unfortunately for me, my satellite is out until Tuesday. :angry:

speedracer said:
Don't see what's wrong with the New Jersey Nets playing in Brooklyn, as long as the New York Giants and the New York Jets play in New Jersey.

if i had a penny for the number of times i've had this debate with people, i've had a shit load of pennies.

new york just happens to be, low and behold, the name of the state and the city. giants stadium is 7 miles from midtown manhattan.

the dallas cowboys don't play in dallas, the miami dolphins don't play in miami, the detroit pistons don't play in detroit, the tampa bay devil rays don't play in tampa, the buffalo bills don't play in buffalo, and the jets and giants don't play in new york... heck, manhattan college is in the bronx. :shrug:

now i know there's gonna be spurs fans pissed about the 6th foul on duncan.

before the debate even begins... the call was the wrong call, but it wasn't a bad call. at full speed it looks like a clear foul... that duncan hit nowitzki causing him to wildly fall to the floor. it's not until you slow it down do you see that nowtizki fell to the floor because of the twisted ankle, not because of the contact.

wrong call, not a bad call. can't blame a ref for making a call that, at full speed, looks like a foul.

I agree with you Headache. I didn't think it was a foul even when they called it. I'll take it, obviously, since it got rid of their #1 option. Calls are going to go for and against teams in this series, so I've just decided to stop bitching and take the good with the bad. The Howard foul on Manu where he got all ball is something I'd be pissed about, but when you see that Duncan foul, it makes it okay because you realize that those calls happen to both sides.

The 2-1 lead is nice and all, but I'm really, really scared about Dirk. His ankles have always been his Achilles heel (weird), so it's cause for concern. Regardless of whether or not he is full strength or even available Monday night, the Mavs need to come out firing and get the series in a chokehold by winning game 4 for a 3-1 lead. I feel like this next game is just as important mentally for Dallas as it is for Little Mexico.

So apparently the Knicks might buy out the rest of Larry Brown's contract for $40 million.

This would mean, of course, that the old, washed-up coach would have gotten paid $40-50 million for one year of work.

I'm sure there's some sort of joke I can make here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

One published report indicated Knicks president Isiah Thomas was in line to replace Brown as head coach, the newspaper said, but the team would not confirm nor deny it.

:drool:

This might be the bit that finally sends Headache out on a four-state killing spree with a semiautomatic gun.

Isiah, Dolan - Dumb and Dumber
by Skip Bayless

You're probably a fan of a pro sports team. Maybe you're a fanatic. Maybe, truth be told, your team is more important to you than your mother.

Maybe nothing in life gives you greater joy and pain than your team. Maybe you've attached your very self-worth to your team's performance. When it wins, you brag to friends and coworkers as if you're superior because you chose to be a fan of this great team. When it loses, you want to go into hiding.

Owners like James Dolan are your worst nightmare. You are a prisoner of his decisions, and you probably could run his team -- your team -- better than he does.

If you're a New York Knicks fan, bless you, you're being held hostage by James Dolan. He deserved to be fired long ago, but you cannot fire him. You cannot vote him out of office. Your only way out is to quit watching Knicks games in person and on TV and hope enough of your fellow fans quit watching to drive this clown out of business.

But you know that's not realistic. The Knicks are your life -- or at least a big part of it. And you can't quit watching because, well, at least Dolan pours a fair amount of his Cablevision profits back into the team. At least he has the NBA's highest payroll. At least he went out and hired the best coach available -- Brooklyn-born Larry Brown -- and paid him more money than any coach in any sport has ever made.

So even though the Knicks gave you probably the worst season in franchise history, losing 59 of 82 games, you cannot divorce them. You know they could -- should! -- turn it around at any moment.

And James Dolan knows he has you by the eyeballs. He knows he can get away with some of the most embarrassing mismanagement this side of Bill Bidwill, because you can't -- or won't -- do anything about it.

Oh, you could heckle him and boo him if you saw him at Madison Square Garden or out in public. But he's at least smart enough to avoid what made his father (and in turn him) so wealthy -- the TV cameras. You never see him. In fact, you're probably not exactly sure what the man who controls your joy looks like.

Yet this spoiled brat has turned your Knicks into such a national laughingstock that it's debatable which is worse: Los Angeles without an NFL team or New York with an NBA team.

Your Knicks are now what the Clippers used to be -- a Leno-Letterman punch line.

Now Dolan has shamed you like never before. Now, if Sunday's reports are true, he's going to fire Larry Brown after one season and replace him with your general manager, Isiah Thomas. (Or maybe with uninspiring former interim coach Herb Williams.) That's right, "Dough-lan" is so rich and so basketball-dumb that he's going to buy out the remaining $40-odd million on Brown's contract and perhaps replace him with the GM who should have been fired two years ago. With his good buddy Isiah, who was no better than a mediocre coach for three seasons in Indiana (131-115) before getting fired because he couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Sure, you can argue that Isiah created this roster disaster, so he should be sentenced to coach it.

But you don't sentence Enron executives to run Enron.

If Dolan does fire Brown, it will go down as his dumbest move yet. Larry Brown is a lot of things -- job jumper, media manipulator, con artist of superstar egos -- but he is not a bad basketball coach. He might tell an occasional fib, but his history doesn't lie. When fans least expected it -- at UCLA and Kansas, with the Clippers and Spurs and Sixers and Pistons -- he gave them bragging rights they'll never forget.

Yes, you or I could perhaps have won more games than Brown did with your Knicks this past season. But there was method to his badness. He needed to tear down all those puffed-up egos, then build them back up. He needed the Stephons and Eddys to come crawling back next year and say, "OK, we'll do it your way."

Brown's method doesn't work well with unrealistic first-year expectations. And that's what your overreacting New York media gave this prodigal son as a welcome-home gift. Playoffs, here we come!

Admit it: You bought into it.

But when much of the team predictably mutinied on Brown, he experienced a career first. Larry Brown got Larry Browned. Isiah, the GM who hired him, sold him out. Isiah didn't defend Brown to the players -- or to the owner.

Isiah managed to get just about everyone within the organization to condemn Brown for what so many outside the organization can easily see is Isiah's fault.

Isiah Thomas gave Jerome James $22 million for four years? The same James who averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 rebounds last season? GMs around the league were belly laughing over that one.

That move alone should have cost Isiah his job.

So why didn't it? Because, trust me, Isiah can be a blast to be around. He can talk hoops as convincingly as he played them. Great smile, even better laugh. A little "street" mixed with a little Wall Street. A charmer of a hustler.

And his latest mark is a real guppy. Dolan is a wannabe rock star who can be as easily manipulated by famous people as he can be angered by underlings. The biggest "mistake" Brown made last season -- you should consider it a plus -- was avoiding kissing up to Dolan. That really ticked off the thin-skinned, tantrum-throwing owner.

Meanwhile, Isiah was constantly telling his "bro" Jimbo what was really going on. This guy is Steinbrenner without a clue.

And you can't do a thing about any of this.

Really, how can you root for anyone here? Dolan has a reputation for ruthless business practice, including feuding with his benefactor/father Charles, a cable-TV pioneer. Isiah left a trail of controversy as the owner and operator of the Continental Basketball Association.

Your lone sympathy here should be for Brown's health problems, which could have played a part in his coaching performance last season and his possible dismissal now. The New York Post reported that Brown had another bladder surgery on Friday.

But it's hard to feel that sorry for him when you realize he conceivably could be paid a total of $50 million for one terrible season's work, then wind up making another $7 or $8 million to coach a team that could contend for next season's NBA title -- the Sacramento Kings.

Wait, is it possible Brown out-hustled Isiah, intentionally sabotaging last season so Dolan would fire him and he could take his 50 mil to Sacto, where a title-caliber roster awaits?

All I know for sure is that I feel sorry for you Knicks fans. There's little hope. And no way out

Last edited:
And the Mavs get another undeserved win... I think it's Christmas time in Dallas all year long.

Well, it seems that, after all the whining, dividends are paying off.

I am sure that they are now thanking the officials with a couple of steaks for that ridiculous call on Manu Ginobili to foul him out of the game.

Oh, wait, there's more?

Sure, there a blow of air on the ear of Nowitzki with 8 seconds missing.

That's a clear foul. Air can seriously damage Dirky's ankles.

What a joke.

P.S. And the Cavs tied the Pistons 2-2. Headache, what the hell is going on? Can the Mavs actually win it all and make it the most embarassing season ever?

Thank God for the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom